Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Many machines on Ix....new machines
Pillbug

The Gunslinger posted:

Hmmm ok thanks, I will get off the pot and order it then.

Yeah, you really don't need the 500gb version now that the 6.0 update with storage pooling is out. It only really makes sense if you just have to have all your storage internal (i.e. no external usb hard drives/thumb drives) and you want more storage than an SD card can provide, cost-effectively.

These days you can get a fast, reliable 64gb SD card for next to nothing, and unless you plan on loading up a ton of games on it that will be fine. For media you really should be storing it off on a share somewhere else over your network anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tanbo
Nov 19, 2013

mattfl posted:

All you guys looking for remotes, any reason you don't just use an app on your phone? I've been using the kodi remote app on my iPhone for years and to control all 3 kodi boxes in my house and it works great. In remote mode it looks like this

Then you can also use it to browse just like the movies/tv show menus

I even have it setup on my wife's phone so if I'm not home she can watch whatever. Works over wifi and hey, you'll probably never loose this remote. :)

I like the phone apps, they're cool and do cool things, but I dislike touchscreen remotes in general. They're cool in theory, but I can pick up my remote and do everything without having to look at it, can't do that with a touchscreen remote. I do use them for browsing sometimes, particularly on the tablet.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe

Ixian posted:

Yeah, you really don't need the 500gb version now that the 6.0 update with storage pooling is out. It only really makes sense if you just have to have all your storage internal (i.e. no external usb hard drives/thumb drives) and you want more storage than an SD card can provide, cost-effectively.

These days you can get a fast, reliable 64gb SD card for next to nothing, and unless you plan on loading up a ton of games on it that will be fine. For media you really should be storing it off on a share somewhere else over your network anyway.

Yeah I have a NAS serving video for the house so I'm covered there but I didn't think Android could use NAS storage for roms/etc. I guess I could use ROM Collection Browser or something in Kodi but I was hoping for a more elegant solution with Retrobox TV or etc.

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home
My Shield came last night.

The controller shipped with just enough charge to flicker rapidly on and off and not let me actually do anything. And if you plug it in before booting up it displays a big message to not do that? Plugging it in after start up sort of worked. It still had a real hard time connecting to the controller even wired. I did eventually manage to arrow over and do the software update.

Thankfully, after the update and some charge in the controller it works pretty well. The UI is surprisingly nice at least at the surface level. Harmony Hub paired nicely. I'm not sure about the app store on it though, is it only Android TV approved apps? Wanted to get NPR One but it wasn't coming up in search. I installed Kodi but I don't have my Emby library set up on my new NAS yet so I really couldn't tear into it. The Giant Bomb add-on still works so there's that. I'll have to try the Not Mad Guy's Kodi fork if that integrates better with the TV dashboard.

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

If only you could see what I've seen with your eyes
Thanks for the recommendations for a MX3 remote. I managed to snag one off Amazon with same day delivery and first impressions are it works a lot better than the previous ones I tried.

What do you guys use to remap keys? I got the keymap editor addon and it doesn't appear to use my keymap changes? It's definitely changing assigned keys but they don't actually appear to work when I press them. Maybe I'm not using it right.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Flirc and/or just rebinding the keys manually in Kodi.

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

Quick question - how can I configure what the power button on my remote does? I suspect this might be more of a Windows question than a Kodi one but you guys might know.

On my old remote the power button puts the PC to sleep and wakes it from sleep. My new remote the power button shuts down the PC and can't wake it from sleep. Where do I go to change this?

EDIT

Ok, now I'm regretting ever trying to get a new remote. The MX3-M works but I can't get it to wake up the PC after it goes to sleep which means I need to keep the old remote around even just to use it to power the system back on. The keymap editor addon is not picking up the new commands I send in. Also it keeps turning on the air mouse functionality by itself. It's really annoying.

I give up. :sigh:

nexus6 fucked around with this message at 12:31 on Apr 9, 2016

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

The Milkman posted:

My Shield came last night.

The controller shipped with just enough charge to flicker rapidly on and off and not let me actually do anything. And if you plug it in before booting up it displays a big message to not do that? Plugging it in after start up sort of worked. It still had a real hard time connecting to the controller even wired. I did eventually manage to arrow over and do the software update.

Thankfully, after the update and some charge in the controller it works pretty well. The UI is surprisingly nice at least at the surface level. Harmony Hub paired nicely. I'm not sure about the app store on it though, is it only Android TV approved apps? Wanted to get NPR One but it wasn't coming up in search. I installed Kodi but I don't have my Emby library set up on my new NAS yet so I really couldn't tear into it. The Giant Bomb add-on still works so there's that. I'll have to try the Not Mad Guy's Kodi fork if that integrates better with the TV dashboard.

It's only TV approved, yeah. If you go on the store in a browser you can download some other ones, but if that doesn't work then you can pretty easily grab the apks and side load them. You'll need a sideload launcher to launch them, though. The big one I use is a file manager so I can move roms back and forth (I really wish the emulators supported reading things from my server, but oh well).

The remote battery notification is very poor. I have a schedule where I charge it once a week overnight after it dying with no warning while we were watching something. Luckily I had the Kodi remote on my phone!

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Pillbug

The Milkman posted:

I'm not sure about the app store on it though, is it only Android TV approved apps? Wanted to get NPR One but it wasn't coming up in search.

You can sideload apps (and use an alternate launcher, there are several for Android TV) if you want, but the reason there's a "curated" section for Android TV apps is that not all of them have lean back launcher support - that is, they aren't made with larger TV displays and/or non-touch (i.e. remote, controller) support in mind.

Doesn't mean apps/games without lean back won't work, many do, but it's hit or miss, and the experience isn't always great. There's a thread over on XDA in the Shield sub-forum that keeps a pretty decent up to date list of lean back apps that aren't called out specifically on the TV store (or in some cases apps that someone modified to add lean back support to - use those at your own risk, as is the case with all sideload apks of course).

Edit: I have also found in some cases that if you browse the Play store on the Web you can queue up an install from there if it is compatible - I have found a few apps that didn't show up in search on the Shield that worked that way.

Ixian fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Apr 9, 2016

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
Is any of the IPTV or Ivue stuff worth messing with? Of is it all just the usual crap add ons that break 4 months later?

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Pillbug

Bonzo posted:

Is any of the IPTV or Ivue stuff worth messing with? Of is it all just the usual crap add ons that break 4 months later?

It's all poo poo unless you like messing with addons that break every 4 months, yes.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Ixian posted:

It's all poo poo unless you like messing with addons that break every 4 months, yes.

I'm going to take the opposite stance and say they're awesome but you have to approach like you would any pirate broadcast. Nothing's certain.

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

Has anyone had issues with artwork not being cached? If I open the list of TV shows it takes a few seconds to show any art: it's all initially missing. Once it loads if I go back to the home screen then immediately back to TV shows it takes a while to load all the art again, just like the first time.

I'm running jarvis btw, might go back to a previous version.

EDIT

Uninstalling and then reinstalling 15.2 seems to have done the trick.

nexus6 fucked around with this message at 13:11 on Apr 10, 2016

SnatchRabbit
Feb 23, 2006

by sebmojo
Is there a way to get the dualshock 4 to work properly on kodi? I'm on windows 10 and the controller works fine on big picture mode but the analogues and digital directions don't work for poo poo for navigation. I tried editing XML and using a keymapping add on, but nothing seems to work.

edit:
Since my trusty wired 360 pad is dead, will an xbox one controller work just as well on windows?

SnatchRabbit fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Apr 12, 2016

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

SnatchRabbit posted:

edit:
Since my trusty wired 360 pad is dead, will an xbox one controller work just as well on windows?

It works fine, just plug it in and go.

As far as I'm aware Windows applications can't even tell the difference between the two.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe
Got the Shield earlier, had it up and running in no time. The thing is an absolute beast. Performance is insanely good, I thought my old FireTV was fast but this thing absolutely crushes it. It was going to take awhile to get a good keymap going so I decided to finally put my flirc to use. It worked very well with the Full Keyboard map and my Harmony Smart Control using the Flirc Kodi profile.

One thing though, I got it fully updated but I can't seem to customize the home screen. It just bumps everything recently used to the left sorta like the PS4 UI. Reading online though it seems like you can go to Settings->Home Screen->Apps and Games to Reorder things manually. Trouble is that if I go to Settings->Home Screen there is one setting there called Recommendations and nothing else. Am I missing something? Also is there a way to get Netflix out of the Shield Hub and into the lower part?

The app selection for Android TV covers the basics but needs more work too.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

on the home screen hold down on an icon to reorder

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Pillbug
I forget where exactly it is in the settings but first make sure you are completely up to date - the option was recently added - then look for the option to either auto-sort apps by last use or manually. Choose Manual. Then as Kri Kri says hold the button on an icon when you select it and you can change the order.

You can't move stuff out of the Shield Hub, no. If you really want better control over your layout (including the ability to display sideloaded apps) use another launcher. The one most people use with the Shield is HALauncher. I don't use it myself but it seems to be popular with the sideload crowd.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe
Thanks guys, I'll give that stuff a shot when I get home later. I'm sure everything was up to date though, it installed a huge 800MB update, rebooted and then I checked again it says up to date. The Home Screen section in settings doesn't look the same though as what others are describing here. Oh well I will solve the mystery later. When you say hold down I assume you guys mean hold the OK command?

Anyone have a recommended emulator frontend for this thing by the way or should I just do it in Kodi?

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Also, don't forget you can add Android apps to your Kodi homescreen or whatever. I basically never see the Android launcher because of this...Kodi is my launcher.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!

Thermopyle posted:

Also, don't forget you can add Android apps to your Kodi homescreen or whatever. I basically never see the Android launcher because of this...Kodi is my launcher.

This is probably my favorite feature. Just go to Programs, Add and you'll see the apps there. Add them as favorite and you can put shortcuts to them on the main Kodi menu.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe
Thanks guys got it all sorted out. I had to manually search for the Android TV Launcher and install it. The Shield was up to the date but the default launcher wouldn't recognize it needed an update for some reason. The only quibble I have now is that Netflix is sitting in the Shield Hub menu instead of Apps but whatever I will figure that out some other time. Kodi runs so fast on this thing, I think its even faster than my NUC. This thing is really the ultimate Kodi/streaming box as far as I'm concerned, Android TV just needs more app support which it will hopefully get as more TVs build it in.

Bigsteve
Dec 15, 2000

Cock It!
I love mine, once you sort out you apps in kodi along with casting stuff from your phone its a fantastic bit of kit.

Had anyone messed around with advancedsettings.XML? I use smb shares on my PC to feed the shield but get some stuttering when I first start to play. I have tried some of the examples online but while they fix one problem they usually cause something else. As an example one increased the buffer and filled before starting but then it wouldn't play music at all.

Keito
Jul 21, 2005

WHAT DO I CHOOSE ?

Bigsteve posted:

As an example one increased the buffer and filled before starting but then it wouldn't play music at all.

That doesn't make sense at all

Bigsteve
Dec 15, 2000

Cock It!
I set it to a 100mb buffer which it would fill and have no issues with video but it stopped music playing. Tried restarting a few times same thing. Deleted the advanced settings and they worked fine.

Most odd. I'm getting stuttering on music while flicking through menus hence messing with caches as usually I have not had to bother. Don't know if it's an issue with marshmallow and using the SD card as internal memory. May try a factory reset and set everything up.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Pillbug

The Gunslinger posted:

The only quibble I have now is that Netflix is sitting in the Shield Hub menu instead of Apps but whatever I will figure that out some other time.

There's no way to move it in the Shield launcher, but as mentioned before you can just launch it and other apps right from Kodi and basically use it as your launcher.

Bigsteve posted:

Had anyone messed around with advancedsettings.XML? I use smb shares on my PC to feed the shield but get some stuttering when I first start to play. I have tried some of the examples online but while they fix one problem they usually cause something else. As an example one increased the buffer and filled before starting but then it wouldn't play music at all.

If you are already centrally streaming and using a shared setup you really owe it to yourself to look at Emby (Plex works well too but its Kodi integration isn't nearly as good). Among other things it makes having to deal with crap like this old news. It handles streaming duties for you and generally does a drat good job of it, though it may require a little tweaking/getting used to at first. It is a lot easier than dealing with advancedsettings/trying to figure out buffer sizes and poo poo on your own though. That is just a way to mess things up in my experience, even if you kind of know what you are doing.

Keito
Jul 21, 2005

WHAT DO I CHOOSE ?

Bigsteve posted:

I set it to a 100mb buffer which it would fill and have no issues with video but it stopped music playing. Tried restarting a few times same thing. Deleted the advanced settings and they worked fine.

Most odd. I'm getting stuttering on music while flicking through menus hence messing with caches as usually I have not had to bother. Don't know if it's an issue with marshmallow and using the SD card as internal memory. May try a factory reset and set everything up.

Read this: http://kodi.wiki/view/HOW-TO:Modify_the_video_cache
The article neatly explains how this works so you should get a better idea from it than randomly copypasting someone's settings. I also didn't think this applied to music at all, but haven't really researched that.

What are you running Kodi on? If you get stuttering during playback while navigating menus it sounds more like a CPU issue than a caching one. Since you're on Android it could be anything really. It's a terrible OS.

Ixian posted:

If you are already centrally streaming and using a shared setup you really owe it to yourself to look at Emby (Plex works well too but its Kodi integration isn't nearly as good). Among other things it makes having to deal with crap like this old news. It handles streaming duties for you and generally does a drat good job of it, though it may require a little tweaking/getting used to at first. It is a lot easier than dealing with advancedsettings/trying to figure out buffer sizes and poo poo on your own though. That is just a way to mess things up in my experience, even if you kind of know what you are doing.
Don't shill Emby like it's the solution to everything. It's certainly not easier setting up and maintaining than just adding some sane caching rules to an XML file.

If there's a way to present multi part files to Kodi so it can stack them instead of just playing them up as a series of streams I certainly couldn't find it, so you can't even tell the total length for those videos. Scraping is a mess that mismatches movies and TV shows far more often than Kodi's provider plugins. The server application itself is a monstrous .NET/Mono package that eats memory like it's nothing in comparison to just setting up some NFS/SMB shares.

I do run an Emby instance because it is pretty cool for portable devices and letting the family connect, but my main HTPC isn't hooked up to it because it just makes a shittier experience out of using Kodi. It's getting close, but there's still room for improvement.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

As someone who used Kodi for quite a while... At this point I'm just wondering why anyone would use anything right than Plex.

Keito
Jul 21, 2005

WHAT DO I CHOOSE ?
Plex is proprietary closed source software so it's not even worth considering when you have perfectly capable alternatives without its restrictions.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
3D SBS support.

Bigsteve
Dec 15, 2000

Cock It!
I'm running on a shield TV. It's was working fine. It only stutters a little when first playing a movie which is understandable. Just finding I sometimes get a stutter in music while scrolling menus. This has only started since Jarvis which hit around the same time as the update for the shield to marshmallow.

Gonna try a factory reset and see if something booked when I updated which tends to happen with android.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
Is the source PC/NAS plugged into Ethernet? It shouldn't matter that much with music but I had alot of video issues until I did that.

(also I had big issues after upgrading my super old source pc to kodi 16 and downgrading to 15.2 fixed everything. 16 on my Fire TV works fine)

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Pillbug

Keito posted:

Read this: http://kodi.wiki/view/HOW-TO:Modify_the_video_cache
The article neatly explains how this works so you should get a better idea from it than randomly copypasting someone's settings. I also didn't think this applied to music at all, but haven't really researched that.

What are you running Kodi on? If you get stuttering during playback while navigating menus it sounds more like a CPU issue than a caching one. Since you're on Android it could be anything really. It's a terrible OS.

Don't shill Emby like it's the solution to everything. It's certainly not easier setting up and maintaining than just adding some sane caching rules to an XML file.

If there's a way to present multi part files to Kodi so it can stack them instead of just playing them up as a series of streams I certainly couldn't find it, so you can't even tell the total length for those videos. Scraping is a mess that mismatches movies and TV shows far more often than Kodi's provider plugins. The server application itself is a monstrous .NET/Mono package that eats memory like it's nothing in comparison to just setting up some NFS/SMB shares.

I do run an Emby instance because it is pretty cool for portable devices and letting the family connect, but my main HTPC isn't hooked up to it because it just makes a shittier experience out of using Kodi. It's getting close, but there's still room for improvement.

You write like an IT guy who's had a bad day at work. Take a deep breath.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Internet Explorer posted:

As someone who used Kodi for quite a while... At this point I'm just wondering why anyone would use anything right than Plex.

-Having to manually edit entries for custom videos is a huge PITA compared to making an .nfo file.

-It doesn't do "DVD order" for TV shows, requiring even more manual edits.

-Automatic scraping is occasionally hilariously wrong.

Bigsteve
Dec 15, 2000

Cock It!

Call Me Charlie posted:

Is the source PC/NAS plugged into Ethernet? It shouldn't matter that much with music but I had alot of video issues until I did that.

(also I had big issues after upgrading my super old source pc to kodi 16 and downgrading to 15.2 fixed everything. 16 on my Fire TV works fine)

Yeah I'm on Ethernet. That's why it's weird that music stutters occasionally. Video may get a stutter when you first start it. I've now got it running with a 100mb cache but I don't know if cache is used on music.

I'm begging to think that usuing the SD card as internal !memory in marshmallow is not fast enough. I did a factory reset to check and it's still not as smooth as it was. Next will try with the SD card as separate.

Quixzlizx
Jan 7, 2007
I know this is a bit OT, but I'm not sure where to ask this question. Is an HD Homerun Prime still unusable with Cablevision outside of Windows Media Center? I'd rather use it with Kodi, or even a casting Android app or something.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Quixzlizx posted:

I know this is a bit OT, but I'm not sure where to ask this question. Is an HD Homerun Prime still unusable with Cablevision outside of Windows Media Center? I'd rather use it with Kodi, or even a casting Android app or something.

The HTPC thread will be a better place to ask this sort of thing: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2386006

As a quick answer though, if you want full functionality including being able to record DRM-flagged content I'm 99% sure WMC is still the only option. HDHomerun's kickstarted DVR project is supposed to at some point, but as far as I'm aware it doesn't yet.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Pillbug

wolrah posted:

The HTPC thread will be a better place to ask this sort of thing: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2386006

As a quick answer though, if you want full functionality including being able to record DRM-flagged content I'm 99% sure WMC is still the only option. HDHomerun's kickstarted DVR project is supposed to at some point, but as far as I'm aware it doesn't yet.

This is correct. It's not specific to Cablevision, it's any provider that flags channels as copy-once (or copy-never). To make matters more interesting, individual franchises often do this on an ad-hoc basis - there's rarely a "corporate" policy (Cablevision being one of the exceptions I believe). For example some Comcast franchises flag channels, some don't. The only consistent among them is they all flag the premium channels like HBO.

And yes, outside a cable box or a Tivo WMC is the only option for copy-protected channels and CableCard. SiliconDust is indeed working on a solution...but it isn't going too well if you read their forums, and the EPG they have to use (or lack of one) due to patent "problems" has a large number of users up in arms. It won't seamlessly integrate with Kodi if that is what you are thinking. That is likely to never happen, at least with the current state of pay tv in the US.

Bigsteve
Dec 15, 2000

Cock It!
Figured out the issue with the stuttering. Seems when you use the SD card as internal memory is marshmallow the encryption Google uses to protect the card creates to big of an overhead. This slows down how quick kodi can pull data and causes the whole system to slow to a crawl resulting in stuttering in menus and music while moving through menus.

It can be fixed by settings>storage and reset>internal memory>move data

Let it do its thing and now everything is smooth as silk.

Yay for an obvious fix that I didn't spot first thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keito
Jul 21, 2005

WHAT DO I CHOOSE ?
Anyone know how to get the old Menu button behavior back on Jarvis? I want it to jump back to the home screen while navigating around in Kodi, not bring out the menu bar. I've read the keymap article on the wiki without figuring it out

edit: maybe setting it to ActivateWindow(Home) will work

edit2: yep that did the trick. Just put it under Global in your keymap XML and it's back to the old behavior while navigating.

Keito fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Apr 18, 2016