Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

The Iron Rose posted:

okay what weapon is this because :laffo:

That's the Storm Curved Sword. You make it from a very late-game boss soul, the Nameless King's.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boomstick Quaid
Jan 28, 2009

Jimbot posted:

So I finally started to play earnestly, how viable is magic later on? The casting times look to be a real bottleneck on its effectiveness but it seems like the game encourages you to play hybrid classes this time around since Dex looks like it reduces casting time (I always went Dex/Int anyway so it works for me) but I can't tell by how much it reduces the casting time. Coming off of Bloodborne it took me a while to stop being incredible aggressive but once that wore off I started getting back into the rhythm, stopped dodging into enemies' swings and started using my shield more often. I'm still on the look out for a weapon that clicks with me so I defaulted to my usual pick of the longsword.

There's also a ring that decreases casting time

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Harrow posted:

Also, don't play offline if you're only doing that to avoid invasions. They're pretty rare if you're not summoning help, and even if you do get invaded, you can join the Way of Blue covenant and a member of the Blue Sentinels covenant might be summoned to help you. I mostly say this because Blue Sentinels is a really fun covenant and sometimes doesn't get enough to do because people who never want to be invaded would rather play offline than join a covenant, but it's really cool!

Please everybody wear the way of blue covenant symbol if you're not bothering with another covenant at the time, like sunbros.

BlueCops need all the active duty they can get, and watching BlueCops and RedWraiths fight for your amusement is fun stuff. Two phantoms enter, one phantom leaves!

Jimbot posted:

So I finally started to play earnestly, how viable is magic later on? The casting times look to be a real bottleneck on its effectiveness but it seems like the game encourages you to play hybrid classes this time around since Dex looks like it reduces casting time (I always went Dex/Int anyway so it works for me) but I can't tell by how much it reduces the casting time. Coming off of Bloodborne it took me a while to stop being incredible aggressive but once that wore off I started getting back into the rhythm, stopped dodging into enemies' swings and started using my shield more often. I'm still on the look out for a weapon that clicks with me so I defaulted to my usual pick of the longsword.

There's a ring that speeds up casting time a good bit, and miracles have a bonus effect to stack poise while casting so you can cast in people's faces. Sorcery has huge range and heat-seeking so that its better long range. Pyromancy is the medium range.

Not sure about dex reducing casting time, I would assume attunement if anything.

Also see the above, please join way of blue as soon as you can and leave it on most of the time (its in the end of the first major big zone, before the boss. You have to get it to progress I think)

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I've been checking out the optional areas I missed and is it just me or is Nameless King way cooler than the actual final boss

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

quote:

BlueCops need all the active duty they can get, and watching BlueCops and RedWraiths fight for your amusement is fun stuff. Two phantoms enter, one phantom leaves!

Invading Purple Pals will immediately go away if they can defeat the Blue Sentinel too (I think, I didn't defeat the host or his phantom, just the blue), so just always be Way of Blue when summoning white phantoms.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Well that was grueling but it's done now.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Help Im Alive posted:

I've been checking out the optional areas I missed and is it just me or is Nameless King way cooler than the actual final boss

I'm trying to clue up as much as I can before going through with the final battle but this is cool. Mainly I was just happy to duel with an old friend...

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Jimbot posted:

Dex reduces casting time by quite a bit, but you can kinda sidestep needing Dex at all by wearing the Sage's Ring, which is available relatively early. Sage's Ring with base Dexterity puts you at almost max casting speed all on its own. If you want to see detailed tests: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E1WOTfCc05E

Magic is fairly viable later on but it takes a while to get there, much like Bloodborne. Early on you should be prepared to mostly melee things and use spells only when you have an opening to do so. You can get non-scaling infusions like Raw, Fire, and Dark fairly early to help make this easier if you don't plan on leveling physical stats much.

One important note: magic stats soft-cap at 60, not 40. So it's a lot harder to be a true Dex/Int hybrid this time and still have strong casting. While weapon scaling soft-caps at 40 like in DS1, spell scaling doesn't really hit its stride until after 40. You kind of have to really commit to it. (For pyromancy, this is still true, but it uses the sum of your Intelligence and Faith, so 30/30 is a good pyromancer build.)

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
Can you trade more than one item of the same type with the crow? I hit backstep after I finished a trade and fell off the rafters and died, and the item was gone when I respawned.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

SunAndSpring posted:

Can you trade more than one item of the same type with the crow? I hit backstep after I finished a trade and fell off the rafters and died, and the item was gone when I respawned.

No. I wouldn't be surprised if they accommodated you though seeing you didn't pick up your item

codo27 fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Apr 15, 2016

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
So where do I go after the

Curse Rotted Greatwood

Be as descriptive as you like, I don't care about spoilers, I'm here for sweet fashion and sick moves.

BurntCornMuffin
Jan 9, 2009

Harrow posted:

Yep, NPC invaders.

Also, don't play offline if you're only doing that to avoid invasions. They're pretty rare if you're not summoning help, and even if you do get invaded, you can join the Way of Blue covenant and a member of the Blue Sentinels covenant might be summoned to help you. I mostly say this because Blue Sentinels is a really fun covenant and sometimes doesn't get enough to do because people who never want to be invaded would rather play offline than join a covenant, but it's really cool!

This. Don't be a fun hating bitch and wear way of blue so I have poo poo to do when I want to cop.

I tend to always wear the way when I'm embered for that reason. Besides, it's nice to have a quick replacement when a phantom falls while fingering.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

How many titanite scales do you need to upgrade boss weapons? Is it the same progression as with normal titanite (2 for +1, 4 for +2, etc.)?

I've only got two so far but I'm going to actually want to try out a boss weapon soon, not sure if I have enough to get it to a usable upgrade level.

Annath posted:

So where do I go after the

Curse Rotted Greatwood

Be as descriptive as you like, I don't care about spoilers, I'm here for sweet fashion and sick moves.

There's a whole other side of that area you can explore. Remember the big fire with the worshipping hollows and the fat preacher lady? Go there, but turn right while facing the fire and cross the bridge. There's a lot more to explore.

Undead Settlement is a really big area.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Wait till you see the boss.

Whaaaat

Also I like how immediately after I posted that I actually went to the top of the staircase and was greeted with ANOR LONDO in case I'd been thick enough not to put it together by now.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
Best blue cop place is the Pontiff bonfire because you get autosummoned whenever an Aldrich follower is summoned. I entered into a three invader scuffle with two sunbros and then a purple guy showed up.

It was an 8 phantom free for all

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

CJacobs posted:

Yes the area where they just stacked 12 of them right on top of each other walking in a line like they're trying to do a conga and said "yeah that'll be fine" is real good enemy placement man. Giving them a tracking grab attack that is guaranteed to kill you in 1 hit because of their health reduction is also great.

I killed that entire room with melee. It was incredibly easy.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

The item descriptions explain it

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Bwhahaha I love this game. It's just basically "The Greatest Hits of the Souls Series" turned up to 11. For reference, I just got to The Catacombs

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

codo27 posted:

No. I wouldn't be surprised if they accommodated you though seeing you didn't pick up your item

gently caress my life :(

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Best blue cop place is the Pontiff bonfire because you get autosummoned whenever an Aldrich follower is summoned. I entered into a three invader scuffle with two sunbros and then a purple guy showed up.

It was an 8 phantom free for all

Irithyll is definitely gank city. Tons of pvp going on here.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Sorry if this has been asked, thread moves fast.

Anyone had luck with nvidia surround with triple displays?

Rather not abuse the steam refund system to test.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Zaphod42 posted:

Irithyll is definitely gank city. Tons of pvp going on here.

Yeah Pontiff bonfire is basically old iron keep bonfire from DS2

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I like now Nameless King is so hard they leave your souls outside after you die. Or maybe its a glitch cause the game cant register where you died cause of the clouds

I got the ashes there in Archdragon Peak which allow the purchase of twinkling titanite and other great crafting materials. Got too free over it and went ahead and burned a slab upgrading a bow I dont even plan to use. Also have a habit of burning through NPC dialog in firelink and went right through whatever Andre said before he gives you the swordgrass. poo poo.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
How do you determine how much a weapon disrupts and staggers poise? Is there a stat that shows it?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

theblackw0lf posted:

How do you determine how much a weapon disrupts and staggers poise? Is there a stat that shows it?

Past souls games never told us, I dont' think DS3 does either.

More poise on yourself is better, but you have no idea how much this or that weapon does poise-damage. Big weapons like claymores definitely do more per-hit, not sure if its equal PPS (poise per second) to other weapons or what :cheeky:

You could reverse-engineer it with a TON of testing, I guess...

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

codo27 posted:

I like now Nameless King is so hard they leave your souls outside after you die. Or maybe its a glitch cause the game cant register where you died cause of the clouds
Has always worked like this. If you die quickly enough they plop the souls outside the fogwall.

Lhet
Apr 2, 2008

bloop

Got to the final area last night; definitely not the pvp hub I was hoping for, seems like 20% real fights, 40% host starts boss, 40% 1v3.
What should I be doing before I complete the game? I have a couple areas I need to go back to (smouldering lake, untended graves), several NPCs to go back and find, and a few respecs to try out. Anything else?

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

Zaphod42 posted:

Ironically this is the one game where Patches is a good guy

Patches is a good guy in every game.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

theblackw0lf posted:

Like a lot of things in DS3 nope you just have to guess. I'd assume it's probably roughly the same across each weapon class with some variations (e.g. dark sword and carthus curved sword are bigger than most weapons in their class so maybe do more poise damage?)

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

turtlecrunch posted:

Patches is a good guy in every game.

According to another goon I was actually wrong about that :v:

But hey yeah good guy Patches whatever.

Boosted_C5
Feb 16, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 5 years!
Grimey Drawer
Man, buying this game ASAP instead of waiting for the GOTY-esque edition w/ DLC included was a good decision.

WAY more multiplayer action than I'm used to.

One thing that's annoying me - getting invaded and having to make a mad dash to an area I know I can die in and be able to get back to my souls without dying again.

Is there going to be a second merchant anytime soon that I can buy useful items from so I don't have to carry around a huge load of souls? Just beat Crystal Sage with another sun bro. Level 25, not wanting to level up and risk not being summoned to help people with Vordt.

Lhet
Apr 2, 2008

bloop

codo27 posted:

Weird arena bosses always work like that (Wolnir, also any 2-area boss with like Greatwood will leave them in first area). Probably something about the way you're teleported in.

Lhet fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Apr 15, 2016

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

Kiggles posted:

Has always worked like this. If you die quickly enough they plop the souls outside the fogwall.

No, no matter when/where you die on NK or Wolnir your souls go outside the boss arena.

DarkAvenger211
Jun 29, 2011

Damnit Steve, you know I'm a sucker for Back to the Future references.
So can I still join the mound makers covenant if I fought the big tree, but didn't kill it? I did manage to get to the phase where it busts through the floor though.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Boosted_C5 posted:

Man, buying this game ASAP instead of waiting for the GOTY-esque edition w/ DLC included was a good decision.

WAY more multiplayer action than I'm used to.

One thing that's annoying me - getting invaded and having to make a mad dash to an area I know I can die in and be able to get back to my souls without dying again.

Is there going to be a second merchant anytime soon that I can buy useful items from so I don't have to carry around a huge load of souls? Just beat Crystal Sage with another sun bro. Level 25, not wanting to level up and risk not being summoned to help people with Vordt.

You should have multiple merchants already, you missed something

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Are the primordial serpents in the game at all? With all the callbacks to 1 I'm kind of expecting to see one.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

Zaphod42 posted:

According to another goon I was actually wrong about that :v:

But hey yeah good guy Patches whatever.

He's got these urges that overcome him, it's not his fault. :unsmith:

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

DarkAvenger211 posted:

So can I still join the mound makers covenant if I fought the big tree, but didn't kill it? I did manage to get to the phase where it busts through the floor though.

I think so. If you can't, you can potentially join the mound makers at the end of the game, although its just as obscure.

RBA Starblade posted:

Are the primordial serpents in the game at all? With all the callbacks to 1 I'm kind of expecting to see one.

maaaaaaaaaaaaybe

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

What kind of play styles are you all finding fun? I started as a knight but I think k I want to respec once I'm able to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

What spear should I be aiming for? I'm still using the basic one