Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

THC posted:

whatever the charger looks like, it'll make all other electric cars look like irredeemable poo poo just on that point alone

Wow such vitriol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

it will be much better and easier to use than other car chargers. but the cord will fray and break under normal use.

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

apple is finally dropping all support for windows quicktime and advising people to uninstall it to boot https://www.us-cert.gov/ncas/alerts/TA16-105A

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Linguica posted:

apple is finally dropping all support for windows quicktime and advising people to uninstall it to boot https://www.us-cert.gov/ncas/alerts/TA16-105A

pardon me if im mistaken here but i think windows users unanimously already uninstalled quicktime in 1998

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
"all products have a lifecycle" would have been some real ee cummings poo poo to say at stebe's funeral

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

AWWNAW posted:

is the charger going to be lightning or USB

it'll require both thunderbolt and lightning connections

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

evilcat posted:

rumors from one guy who claimed to work there had it as pretty much a personal self driving thing with a heavily modified iOS control and be a lot more akin to a Tesla, and come at a similar price point as a 'lifestyle device'.

this is completely idiotic, and so completely true

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
i have very little confidence in tim's leadership for a variety of reasons, but i don't think even he's dumb enough to get into the car business beyond phone interfaces

Beast of Bourbon
Sep 25, 2013

Pillbug
the current rumor mill is that timb gave stebe aids and that is why stebe died and then timb received all of stebes power and why he is such a powerful ceo

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Beast of Bourbon posted:

the current rumor mill is that timb gave stebe aids and that is why stebe died and then timb received all of stebes power and why he is such a powerful ceo

good theory. I agree.

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

lol paid placement of search results in the App Store
as if App Store search wasn't already garbage enough

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

hobbesmaster posted:

it'll require both thunderbolt and lightning connections

very very frightening

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Endless Mike posted:

very very frightening

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Beast of Bourbon posted:

only after he ousted the traitor scott forestall tho

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
Scott Fourstall was the only person at apple who could have run apple after jobs died, but he was ousted by a bunch of c-levels.

Scott Forstall
Aug 16, 2003

MMM THAT FAUX LEATHER
MAKE LINEN GREAT AGAIN

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Dirk Pitt
Sep 14, 2007

haha yes, this feels good

Toilet Rascal

Shaggar posted:

Scott Fourstall was the only person at apple who could have run apple after jobs died, but he was ousted by a bunch of c-levels.

unironically agree with this. too bad he made apple maps and had to be sacrificed.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

:barf:

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Dirk Pitt posted:

unironically agree with this. too bad he made apple maps and had to be sacrificed.

he was forced by the c-levels to rush apple maps out the door before it was ready.

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
scott wouldn't take responsibility for apple maps failure because tim wanted it too quickly and therefore tim had to remove him since he was a threat

maybe after tim bails out he'll come back and put apple back on the right path like steve did

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

Shaggar posted:

he was forced by the c-levels to rush apple maps out the door before it was ready.

they were 100% ok with going with google maps but google just wasnt ready for prime time so they had to DIY

when your vendors suck sometimes you just have to do it your drat self

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Sniep posted:

they were 100% ok with going with google maps but google just wasnt ready for prime time so they had to DIY

no it was probably because Google wanted more user data or maybe they wouldn't license their data for turn-by-turn directions

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
it was because tim, like all people put into management roles that they are unsuited for, made a big brash decision that altered something that worked just fine because he felt he had to make a big change to establish that he was in charge

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

apple couldn't get a license from google to use turn by turn with their maps, so they had to buy a different map company and it's still not quite as robust as google but is mostly fine.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Sniep posted:

that's not even close to true. google maps was already on ios and better than apple maps, but steve wanted to spite them with his last dying breath

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Mr. Nice! posted:

apple couldn't get a license from google to use turn by turn with their maps, so they had to buy a different map company and it's still not quite as robust as google but is mostly fine.

they could get the license, but they didnt want to give goog any user data which was part of the agreement.

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Mr. Nice! posted:

google maps has bailed my arse out from crapple maps twice

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

i miss the ibooks aesthetic era

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast
speaking of apple maps is there a way to report bad data in it?

im sure there is i just dont know where, but, sometimes when it's wrong its VERY loving wrong like absolutely telling you to take the reverse direction exit thinking it's the right one, etc

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Sniep posted:

im sure there is i just dont know where, but, sometimes when it's wrong its VERY loving wrong like absolutely telling you to take the reverse direction exit thinking it's the right one, etc

if you find out lmk i have two to submit

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Sniep posted:

there probably isn't because they don't want you to question their quality. but I don't know because I don't even have an iphone anymore. winphone ftw

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

if only here was some way to Report an Issue

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

The Management posted:

mm cool ty

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

The Management posted:

I wonder if the "street blocked" marker on stockton is permanent

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
i think my favorite apple map goof was being told to park on an offramp and then walk to the destination

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Stymie posted:

i think my favorite apple map goof was being told to park on an offramp and then walk to the destination

you should have done exactly this as Scott Forstall demanded.

Encrypted
Feb 25, 2016

Google map, not apple map, once took me through some steep single lane gravel road with steep canyon on the side

the other time it took me through partially washed away dirt road where you have to dodge the trenches while driving on slippery loose dirt or else you get stranded somewhere that's at least .5-1 hour of driving away from cellular service

the worst thing happened with Apple map was just unable to find certain poi but the address always worked fine

I guess what I'm trying to say is just accept your fate

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

mapquest once sent me to the middle of a long residential forrest road, like, with no actual addressed buildings in sight

i had entered the address of a best buy

• Locked thread