Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Luckily it's not too late to just keep as a pyromancer and put anything else into vitality and endurance. It seems like sorcery builds are all or nothing now, at least in a new game. I might just keep int/fth at 15/15 or so instead of 30/30 even, pump strength, make the greatsword heavy after all. I'll save a pure mage for a second char. Even spellsword is working out kind of eh in the spell department.

quote:

I can already tell everyone on earth is going to be using nothing but katanas for PvP within a week or so. The movesets are outrageously good, and some of the late game katanas are kinda silly. Washing Pole is back and it's basically a greatsword, but longer and twice as fast.

They already are. Good to see katanas are the end-all be-all again I guess.

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Apr 15, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

I can already tell everyone on earth is going to be using nothing but katanas for PvP within a week or so. The movesets are outrageously good, and some of the late game katanas are kinda silly.

So, what's new? :confused:

limited
Dec 10, 2005
Limited Sanity
Is there a official goon-password for co-op yet? I'd like to be summoned by, or summon people who don't try to attack bosses with a sliver of health. :sigh:

Also, gently caress swamp areas. Bloodborne didn't have one, and everyone was happy.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
It's the year of the straight sword, actually.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

limited posted:

Is there a official goon-password for co-op yet? I'd like to be summoned by, or summon people who don't try to attack bosses with a sliver of health. :sigh:

Also, gently caress swamp areas. Bloodborne didn't have one, and everyone was happy.

Bloodborne definitely did have one. Remember the nightmare frontier?

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES
So a friend of mine recommended this game and it looks fun as hell. My only real question that he waffled on is this:

Is this game grindy? Like I'm just done with games requiring me to beat the same boss 100x to get the right drop.

Thanks!

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

I found Smough's hammer and it's making me want to respec my character purely to use it.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?
Jolly cooperation! (abyss watchers)
http://gfycat.com/GiddyDetailedIchthyosaurs

Who can tell me what went wrong here :v:
http://gfycat.com/ConfusedFlamboyantHammerkop

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021
30.5 hours, and I have successfully linked the fire. What a great game, and a strong finish for the finale of the Dark Souls franchise. The last boss is crazy good, really evoking the feeling of being a representation of a player character from Souls games past.

Lhet
Apr 2, 2008

bloop

JetsGuy posted:

So a friend of mine recommended this game and it looks fun as hell. My only real question that he waffled on is this:

Is this game grindy? Like I'm just done with games requiring me to beat the same boss 100x to get the right drop.

Thanks!

Not at all, you can't beat a boss more than once (though it might take 20 tries to do so). Only grinding really is for pvp covenant rewards, which are completely optional, and basically need 30 wins for the highest reward.

Lhet fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Apr 15, 2016

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

JetsGuy posted:

Thanks!

No. Or I mean...

It's hard, so you're going to beat your head against certain areas/bosses until you succeed.

There's some things that drop rarely from enemies, but they're not required or anything, unless you really really like a specific look or want a specific weapon. Most poo poo is just lying somewhere to be found, or bought. Bosses don't have rare drops (also you can't repeat them besides coop in another person's game, but you only get the currency for doing that, not items).

If you really want all the achievements/trophies I guess it kind of is, because you'll be doing at least one or two New Game+ cycles and some pvp.

But if you just want to get through the game there's no grinding.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.
Does reinforcing catalysts do anything anymore? I remember in DS2 reinforcing catalysts actually made your spells stronger, but it doesn't look like that's still the case. Is there even a point to doing it?

Sinner Sandwich
Oct 13, 2012

JetsGuy posted:

Thanks!

Nah. You need exponentially more souls to level up, but most unique equipment can be made immediately after beating a boss and item drops by in large are reasonable.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

Does reinforcing catalysts do anything anymore? I remember in DS2 reinforcing catalysts actually made your spells stronger, but it doesn't look like that's still the case. Is there even a point to doing it?

I think it's the spell adjust stat there, otherwise like half the staves I've picked up are objectively worse than the sorcerer's staff.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Oh what, I just noticed that in the travel menu each page has firelink shrine listed at the bottom.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

Mazerunner posted:

Jolly cooperation! (abyss watchers)
http://gfycat.com/GiddyDetailedIchthyosaurs

Who can tell me what went wrong here :v:
http://gfycat.com/ConfusedFlamboyantHammerkop

The bloodstain over wrote the climb down ladder prompt so you probably went ah poo poo when it was the bloodstain that took priority.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

GODDAMNIT PATCHES - oh wait nevermind I already hosed your trap up lol

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
So eh, Road of Sacrifices and Cathedral of the Deep.

The levels themselves were fun but man, the bosses were incredibly underwhelming. I haven't fought a fun boss since Vordt. I hope the game starts to pick up the pace

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.
Oh yeah, one other question: is it possible to get the ember (or whatever they're called now) to enable Sharp and Heavy weapons before the Crystal Sage? I just want to know if I've missed it--if it comes later please don't tell me where it is.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Shindragon posted:

The bloodstain over wrote the climb down ladder prompt so you probably went ah poo poo when it was the bloodstain that took priority.

Incorrect, the answer is actually 'hubris'

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

WaltherFeng posted:

So eh, Road of Sacrifices and Cathedral of the Deep.

The levels themselves were fun but man, the bosses were incredibly underwhelming. I haven't fought a fun boss since Vordt. I hope the game starts to pick up the pace

You haven't seen anything yet.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

Some get better spell adjustment, some don't.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Republicans posted:

Some get better spell adjustment, some don't.

Wait, so some staves are pointless to upgrade?

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

Oh yeah, one other question: is it possible to get the ember (or whatever they're called now) to enable Sharp and Heavy weapons before the Crystal Sage? I just want to know if I've missed it--if it comes later please don't tell me where it is.

technically yes

InequalityGodzilla
May 31, 2012

Anyone know how to deal with that whole "fps too low for online play" thing? My PC runs the game just fine and has well over the required min specs but something about Giant skeleton king and then Frozen Anor Londo makes my game start to chug enough that it'll boot me offline. Has anyone discovered methods to slightly improve performance?

Also, forcing you to completely quit out of the game before it lets you try to go online is such bullshit.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

While waiting to do coop for Abyss watchers, the little swamp gremlins actually sometimes manage to kill the Dick Wagglers if one of them gets stuck on something and they separate. I've gotten their armour and legs this way.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

RBA Starblade posted:

Wait, so some staves are pointless to upgrade?

I dunno about staves but some cleric talismans don't get much from being upgraded.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Oooh. Wearing the sunlight medallion sets the level discrepancy to +\- 20 levels instead of the normal 10. Sweet!

And I just missed it. Gunna grab that when work is done. Sunbro for life!

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Could someone explain what causes my max hp to decrease in Irithyll Dungeon? I've identified the creature causing it, and I realize that it has something to do with the lamp being red, but then it just seems arbitrary when it does or does not happen.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Philthy posted:

Oooh. Wearing the sunlight medallion sets the level discrepancy to +\- 20 levels instead of the normal 10. Sweet!

And I just missed it. Gunna grab that when work is done. Sunbro for life!

That's actually really cool!

Are there any goofy tiers with weapon upgrades because I got the frost sword to +3 (twinkling) and I'm just curious.

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

I can already tell everyone on earth is going to be using nothing but katanas for PvP within a week or so. The movesets are outrageously good, and some of the late game katanas are kinda silly. Washing Pole is back and it's basically a greatsword, but longer and twice as fast.

Yep, and the Murakumo seems to have a good moveset as well. I'm going to make the oldest, frailest, paunchiest, hairiest retired ninja possible and rock some katanas on my next build. I think I'll try to recreate Mako's face too, he's the best old asian ever.

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007

Jay Rust posted:

Could someone explain what causes my max hp to decrease in Irithyll Dungeon? I've identified the creature causing it, and I realize that it has something to do with the lamp being red, but then it just seems arbitrary when it does or does not happen.

Lamp Dudes: When you are looking in their direction while you are in their line of sight and the lamp is red. Best way is to sneak up on them and kill them quick, or skip them completely. Don't fight more than one at a time!

Malek Deneith
Jun 1, 2011

Mazerunner posted:

While waiting to do coop for Abyss watchers, the little swamp gremlins actually sometimes manage to kill the Dick Wagglers if one of them gets stuck on something and they separate. I've gotten their armour and legs this way.

Really? From what I've seen one is more than capable of killing them usually. They must've gotten real lucky with stagger or something.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Jay Rust posted:

It's basically "whenever they look at you." It's pretty brutal but there's a limit to how far it can take your bar down.

Boomstick Quaid
Jan 28, 2009

Cinara posted:

Lamp Dudes: When you are looking in their direction while you are in their line of sight and the lamp is red. Best way is to sneak up on them and kill them quick, or skip them completely. Don't fight more than one at a time!

Lol at the room that has like nine of them

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Cinara posted:

There's a room with like a million of them :(

Thanks though, I'll watch out for that

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Jay Rust posted:

When they do that thing where they poo poo mist all over the floor, it makes your max hp drop temporarily. It's unavoidable unless you stagger them as they start the animation, before the mist shows up.

It goes away after like 30 seconds thankfully, but multiple ones doing it to you stack and there's an area where you can have your HP dropped to 1.

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

So I have two curses from accepting the free level ups and now I just noticed my character's face is messed up. Will accepting more level ups and getting more of the curse cause my character to eventually lose half health?

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

hey guess whats great vs katanas guys

its parrying

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

SgtSteel91 posted:

So I have two curses from accepting the free level ups and now I just noticed my character's face is messed up. Will accepting more level ups and getting more of the curse cause my character to eventually lose half health?

No