Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

I have never heard before that marrow donations were race specific. How does that even work? How can the body decode marrow from a person who is 1/8 asian, 1/4 asian, 1/2 asian, or full asian? How do multi-racial or significantly mixed people receive marrow transplants?

I'm not super well-informed but AFAIK the idea is that it's not exactly race-specific, but it's based on genetic similarity. So relatives or people of your own race are going to be much more likely to be compatible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
Ah, I figured it was something like that. Thanks everyone!

Goosed it.
Nov 3, 2011

Platystemon posted:

I’m cool with donating blood or, in the event of my untimely demise, donating organs, but donating bone marrow involves serious surgery.

The worst thing would be to get in the database and get that call without knowing you’re ready to commit.

My friend has a medical condition that makes it very likely that she'll need a transplant at some point, so he younger sister is very pro donation etc. Her sister got called for the bone marrow transfer, went through it and then the recipient declined the procedure. I'm not say that to deter people, I'm registered, it's just not as cut and dry as you might expect.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
http://variety.com/2016/film/news/amc-texting-theaters-phones-1201752978/

New AMC CEO says that gosh darnit, you can't ask 22-year olds just to turn off their phones and not text anyone for a couple of hours, so maybe they'll start having some shows or areas of the theater where texting is allowed.

Then they walk that way, way back:

https://twitter.com/AMCTheatres/status/720972338699702272

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?
I love the people who are like "what's wrong with texting", not realizing a bright phone in a dark room kinda stands out.

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)

Avenging_Mikon posted:

I love the people who are like "what's wrong with texting", not realizing a bright phone in a dark room kinda stands out.

They're the people spending so much time looking at their own phones that they legitimately don't notice other people's, and therefore don't understand how anyone else could have aproblem with it since surely they are on their phones too.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

I know its a bit classically cynical, but you might think AMC knew everyone would hate this texting in cinemas idea and had plans to immediately walk it back all along...

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Mr. Flunchy posted:

I know its a bit classically cynical, but you might think AMC knew everyone would hate this texting in cinemas idea and had plans to immediately walk it back all along...

Maybe they're wising up to the fact that they can get completely free publicity and market research just by having a CEO casually mention a new idea and seeing how the internet/media reacts.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V_18DEI0joc

artsy fartsy
May 10, 2014

You'll be ahead instead of behind. Hello!
This makes it sound like AMC hasn't allowed texting in the past. I don't think I've ever been at a movie where someone actually got told by a theater worker to knock that poo poo off.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

artsy fartsy posted:

This makes it sound like AMC hasn't allowed texting in the past. I don't think I've ever been at a movie where someone actually got told by a theater worker to knock that poo poo off.

Well they still have videos before the previews that say "turn off your goddamn phones people". They might not enforce it but they at least request it.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

Well they still have videos before the previews that say "turn off your goddamn phones people". They might not enforce it but they at least request it.

Those preview are almost worse than the texting itself.

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

No matter whether this was a whole swerve by AMC or not I figure it would take just one jackass to either grab a phone and throw it or straight up attack the person to get the "texting allowed" shut down loving quick.

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014
I wonder how many of the people who refuse to donate organs are also against pepple receiving welfare.

Parasol Prophet
Aug 31, 2012

We Are Best Friends Now.
"I worked for my organs, nobody just gave them to me!"

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

I wonder what they would say to those pepple.

AtomD
May 3, 2009

Fun Shoe
I'm thinking maybe there's a thing in pepple's brains where they see how unfair life is towards others and instead of going 'man, all things told I'm kinda lucky!' they go 'gently caress those pepple, they deserve it!' and I just don't get that.

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)

AtomD posted:

I'm thinking maybe there's a thing in pepple's brains where they see how unfair life is towards others and instead of going 'man, all things told I'm kinda lucky!' they go 'gently caress those pepple, they deserve it!' and I just don't get that.

The Just World Fallacy. Good things happen to good people who earned them or are inherently virtuous, bad things happen to bad people who deserve punishment and are inherently bad. Unless a bad thing happens to me, then that's just a coincidence.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
Boaty McBoatface won in a landslide, but it also lost because it's not getting chosen as the name:

http://www.avclub.com/article/democracy-dead-name-boaty-mcboatface-235539

quote:

USA Today reports that British Science Minister Jo Johnson told the BBC: “There is a process now for us to review all of the public’s choices.” Yeah, you know what that’s called? Counting the votes. Johnson continues about the suggested nautical monikers: “Many of them were imaginative, some were more suitable than others,” expediting the lie that there are names somehow better than Boaty McBoatface. Johnson has even dragged the Queen into this mess, maintaining that he would be “embarrassed” to ask her for an official warrant. As the U.K. Mirror reports: “We do need a warrant from the Queen for what will be a Royal Research Vessel, and I wouldn’t want to be in the position of asking her to give a warrant for something that was completely frivolous.” Like a monarch who has held the throne since 1952 would be tumbled by the paperwork involved in a Royal Research warrant for Boaty McBoatface.

How do people still not understand that if you ask the Internet for something it will give you something you don't want? The USAF is currently accepting suggestions for a name for its new bomber, but at least they're you need to actually be in the Air Force, and it's not a vote. They're not just telling the general public "We'll pick your favorite name!"

Phanatic has a new favorite as of 21:33 on Apr 19, 2016

darkhand
Jan 18, 2010

This beard just won't do!
Publicity probably and some fairly benevolent PR I would guess. How many people that saw an article about it, or voted, are even gonna care what they choose down the line? They just think it's funny and hit Like on their facebook timeline once then forget about it, but it probably drummed up a lot of publicity. It's Free Memes

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

The public has spoken, they want Boaty McBoatface. I hope there are massive riots if they choose a different name

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

I hope the queen hears about this and asks for Boaty McBoatface

One Eye Open
Sep 19, 2006
Am I awake?

I Am Crake posted:

Is this a joke or do doctors in the US do bone marrow transplants for a disease which isn't even recognized as a disease outside the US?

I don't mean to go all :smug: about fibromyalgia, someone I know seems to suffer pretty badly and she says that's what causing it. But over here doctors don't really do anything about it because officially, it's not a disease but just psychosomatic symptoms caused by something which is as of yet unknown.

It's certainly regarded as a disease in the UK, and at least one of the causes of the symptoms was found in 2013.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

They're loving lucky it's something as benign and funny as Boaty McBoatface and not something like Weedlord BonerHitler or whatever the gently caress.

They should take it in stride and laugh about it. Hell, I always thought the Queen to be the type who would have a very dignified chuckle out of the whole thing.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Taeke posted:

They're loving lucky it's something as benign and funny as Boaty McBoatface and not something like Weedlord BonerHitler or whatever the gently caress.

They should take it in stride and laugh about it. Hell, I always thought the Queen to be the type who would have a very dignified chuckle out of the whole thing.

Yeah my favorite thing is that people are assuming no boat has had a stupid but amusing name before Boaty McBoatface. Humans have always been humans and we've always given things ridiculous names.

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Yeah my favorite thing is that people are assuming no boat has had a stupid but amusing name before Boaty McBoatface. Humans have always been humans and we've always given things ridiculous names.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HMS_Gay_Viking

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...
At the very least, if they're not willing to call it such professionally, they could at least put Boaty McBoatface on the side of the ship. Or just call it the RRS BMcBF.

The North Tower
Aug 20, 2007

You should throw it in the ocean.
Breaking news from England following the Boaty McBoatface announcement:

pienipple
Mar 20, 2009

That's wrong!

One Eye Open posted:

It's certainly regarded as a disease in the UK, and at least one of the causes of the symptoms was found in 2013.

It's definitely real, probably immune related which makes things a ball ache to pin down a definitive cause for.

Currently being tested for everything under the sun to figure out wtf is wrong with my stupid immune system.

gentle pete
Feb 21, 2015

by Nyc_Tattoo

jojoinnit posted:

Nah I probably just forgot what exactly it was but it was some type of blood cancer.

^^ yes there were 2 types of donations. I did the one where they basically just harvest it from my blood, no invasive surgery.

You might be thinking of myelofibrosis, not fibromyalgia

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
Similarly, the MBTA refused to name a police dog "Mr. Spaghetti" as the result of an online contest

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

ELECTRONIC OLD MEN RUNNING THE WORLD
The Boaty McBoatface vote as always just a suggestion from the public IIRC, bit of rear end-covering in case the public named it something stupid like Boaty McBoatface.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

ElwoodCuse posted:

Similarly, the MBTA refused to name a police dog "Mr. Spaghetti" as the result of an online contest

What's wrong with a name like Mr. Spaghetti? :saddowns:

Walton Simons posted:

The Boaty McBoatface vote as always just a suggestion from the public IIRC, bit of rear end-covering in case the public named it something stupid like Boaty McBoatface.

What's wrong with Boaty McBoatface? :saddowns:

NLJP
Aug 26, 2004

I mean, one of the ships at the battle of Trafalgar was HMS Pickle. We don't really have much of a leg to stand on when it comes to dignified boat names.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

NLJP posted:

I mean, one of the ships at the battle of Trafalgar was HMS Pickle. We don't really have much of a leg to stand on when it comes to dignified boat names.

Ah yes, the infamous Pickle Incident.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Yvonmukluk posted:

What's wrong with a name like Mr. Spaghetti? :saddowns:

Nothing, IMO. Mr.Shpaghetti is a great name for a dog. Fun, whimsical, and the "Mr" on the front adds a nice air of fake-formality to nicely juxtapose to the silliness of the spaghetti. And if you read the link below you can see the origin of the name does have (very loose) ties to the MBTA.

The police department were just being a bunch of unfunny pricks, though, and clearly wanted a "cool" name. I think they went with Hunter?
http://www.metro.us/boston/mbta-police-announce-name-for-new-k-9-recruit-after-asking-twitter-for-help/zsJpdg---4WBKiHw77eis/

Yvonmukluk posted:

What's wrong with Boaty McBoatface? :saddowns:

Boaty McBoatface, on the other hand, is a poo poo name. It's the epitome of lazy ,"money cheese lol" style humor, and a bad example at that. Using the previous example, that would be like calling the dog Doggy McDogface. It's dumb, there's no sincerity, no heart.

Hell, even something like Boaty McScience, or Science McBoatface would be better, since it's a scientific research vessel. Make it somehow appropriate? Like...any drat boat could be Boaty McBoatface, so why this one?

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice
Missed a golden opportunity by passing up Floaty McShipfaced IMHO

OniPanda
May 13, 2004

OH GOD BEAR

DrBouvenstein posted:

Boaty McBoatface, on the other hand, is a poo poo name. It's the epitome of lazy ,"money cheese lol" style humor, and a bad example at that. Using the previous example, that would be like calling the dog Doggy McDogface. It's dumb, there's no sincerity, no heart.

Hell, even something like Boaty McScience, or Science McBoatface would be better, since it's a scientific research vessel. Make it somehow appropriate? Like...any drat boat could be Boaty McBoatface, so why this one?
Wow, someone hates fun. Why this one? Because they had a poll for this one.

Karma Monkey
Sep 6, 2005

I MAKE BAD POSTING DECISIONS

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

Missed a golden opportunity by passing up Floaty McShipfaced IMHO

+1 this name.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

DrBouvenstein posted:

Nothing, IMO. Mr.Shpaghetti is a great name for a dog. Fun, whimsical, and the "Mr" on the front adds a nice air of fake-formality to nicely juxtapose to the silliness of the spaghetti. And if you read the link below you can see the origin of the name does have (very loose) ties to the MBTA.

The police department were just being a bunch of unfunny pricks, though, and clearly wanted a "cool" name. I think they went with Hunter?
http://www.metro.us/boston/mbta-police-announce-name-for-new-k-9-recruit-after-asking-twitter-for-help/zsJpdg---4WBKiHw77eis/

Making it more appropriate really diminishes the juxtaposition though. Aside from the childish silliness it's precisely the generic nature of the name that adds to the humour. The lack of originality is part of it for me. An important, expensive science vessel having a name that a 13 year old would choose for their rowing boat contrasts nicely with the seriousness of its purpose and the people involved, especially now that all the 'serious people' have been so outspoken in their opposition of it.