Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Zaphod42 posted:

Exploring is cool and fun and you can only go in blind once. You only get the opportunity once for each new game and then its gone forever once you've seen things.

If you really suck at exploring but like souls games for combat, go ahead I guess, but everybody recommends you go blind because we actually like exploring and don't suck at it.

Unbelievable number of people getting stuck at firelink and undead settlement, but I guess some people just don't like exploring or aren't used to having to do it. Its really, really fun though.

I do like exploring, I just kinda feel like I've run out of places to explore, you don't need to be an rear end about this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ass-Haggis
May 27, 2011

asproigerosis confirmed

rear end-Haggis posted:

Don't believe I have though, which is weird. Should I like, reinstall or something? I'ma reinstall and see if that fixes this.

TBQH I'm kinda spooked! I don't wanna lose my ability to cooperate in a jolly fashion!

Just uninstalled and reinstalled DS3, same message pops up. GENUINE CONCERN TIME!

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
Need curse resistant gear? Got you covered:

Otherwise, this is how I normally look. It's worth taking out the giants in the Cathedral:

I'm also pumped that my Siegward quest didn't break, apparently his trigger in the Cathedral is the front double doors to the cathedral itself which happened to be the one door I never opened while I was there originally. :suicide:

rear end-Haggis posted:

Just uninstalled and reinstalled DS3, same message pops up. GENUINE CONCERN TIME!

Reinstalling won't do anything. It's complaining about your save file. Something is wrong with it and not passing their checks.

Lhet
Apr 2, 2008

bloop

Is it possible to stack enough passive health regen to completely counteract the mimic hat?

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Internet Kraken posted:

Lmao the special on one of the abyss watcher weapons is retarded in PvP. It makes you slide along the floor like a madman and the hitbox on the sword becomes absurd. Even when you dodge it though, it grants invulnerability to the user so you can even really punish them for spamming it.

and yet I've still been attacked by dopes who gently caress it up and accomplish absolutely nothing.

I mean I am garbage at pvp and using heavy, slow weapons and they still miss me with that thing.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
I made a new guy last night, decided to go deprived, beat tutorial boss on my second try:
http://xboxdvr.com/gamer/Ether%20Frenzy/video/16638477

Then I made one of the stabby guys (assassin?), took his armor off, And proceeded to be murdered by this fucker 40 times in a row, before I quit and said okay I guess I'll be a deprived guy. :iiam:

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Internet Kraken posted:

Lmao the special on one of the abyss watcher weapons is retarded in PvP. It makes you slide along the floor like a madman and the hitbox on the sword becomes absurd. Even when you dodge it though, it grants invulnerability to the user so you can even really punish them for spamming it.

Apparently it's really easy to parry because you can parry the tip of a weapon this time.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

Internet Kraken posted:

When you put an entire post in spoiler, people might not know what you're talking about until they mouse over it. And people don't want to get spoiled on stuff they haven't seen. So when you put the first letter or so outside the spoiler people who have seen it will know what you're talking about but it won't mean anything to people that haven't.

The better question is, why do you care?

the secret is that you only have to use one spoiler block to give your post context instead of spoilering every single word while leaving up single letters, making it unreadable without highlighting the post instead of just doing a simple mouseover

I care because it's an eyesore and many people are doing it

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Harrow posted:

Has anyone used curved swords much? I want a good, fast Dex weapon to aim for on my planned Dex/Pyro build and I don't really want it to be a katana or a straight sword. Specifically, I was eyeing up the Carthus Curved Sword, which looks like it has pretty good reach for a curved sword.

Curved swords are kind of weird. You loose the kick on a lot of them and get a swing and a backstep instead. It's harder to deal with shield enemies in that regard.

You got some options though, the estoc and rapier are both super quick and have deceptively long ranges and low stat requirements. The partizan is around early in the game, is fast, has a wide sweep attack and a really good 2hand l2. If you want to MAXIMUM CRIT you can stick with a mail breaker since they get that 1.3x backstab/riposte modifier. Scythe is lowish damage and kind of slow, but has a long range and wide sweep on top of a bleed. The comedy option is you can always take a hand axe or thrall axe and sharp infusion it to get the most of your dex.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

The Vosgian Beast posted:

I do like exploring, I just kinda feel like I've run out of places to explore, you don't need to be an rear end about this.

He wasn't even talking to you...

Appoda
Oct 30, 2013

8-Bit Scholar posted:

There's a cool poison spear boss weapon from the second boss

Got that one. On the short side imo, but I haven't really invested into it. Maybe it's super-baller.

Andrast posted:

The estoc is great.

Thrusting swords are for chumps. :colbert: In honesty, I think I'll save the Estoc for another run. I don't just want a sword, I want a sword at the end of a pole!

Lotish posted:

I think the winged halberd I got off the winged knight in lothric is fine, and I've seen praise for the Red-handled Halberd as well. The Red Halberd is a thrusting weapon first and foremost, while the winged is a slashing one. The winged isn't super fast but its R2 hits basically everything on screen near you.

I take it you found the whip in the Undead Settlement and were unimpressed?

I actually had the winged halberd drop too, but the strength req was way too high for me, so I haven't really looked at it. The Red-handled halberd looks really good, actually... I mean, the thrust isn't that great, but it has a wide sweep to it and i think it can also do the 360 spin? I'll have to gently caress with it a little more. See what it looks like at +3.

And yeah, I found the whip. the R2s on them are actually kinda baller in how wide an area they hit, but the ordinary whip does just a little more damage than my bandit knife at the same level.

Harrow posted:

The Partizan is available pretty early, in the Undead Settlement. It's on a hanging corpse near the imprisoned pyromancer trainer.

Yeah, I actually missed him, but I'm going back to that area now and I have a pretty good idea of where he's at. I'll take a look at it.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

The Vosgian Beast posted:

I didn't respond to you, just saying in general :v:

Go to where the boss entrance would be, turn around 180 degrees, start walking that direction and follow the left part you haven't explored previously.

Alternatively just keep exploring the zone... there's a lot there. There's two hidden sections with items and NPCs not to mention the path to the next zone.

Some of it is very well hidden, there's a bonfire I missed until I re-explored the zone. But if you didn't realize there's a whole path and bridge and area you didn't explore.... welp.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Ether Frenzy posted:

I made a new guy last night, decided to go deprived, beat tutorial boss on my second try:
http://xboxdvr.com/gamer/Ether%20Frenzy/video/16638477

Then I made one of the stabby guys (assassin?), took his armor off, And proceeded to be murdered by this fucker 40 times in a row, before I quit and said okay I guess I'll be a deprived guy. :iiam:

Iudex Gundyr rewards serious aggression, I've found. He hasn't killed me yet on several runthroughs of the tutorial area, but that's largely because I just stay right on his rear end the entire time, even when he transforms. He's got like a gently caress-you radius around him but when you get inside that circle he's a lot easier to dodge.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Yeah, spoilering little words and not sentences is dumb as gently caress.

People need to stop.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Appoda posted:

Yeah, I actually missed him, but I'm going back to that area now and I have a pretty good idea of where he's at. I'll take a look at it.

It can be tricky to find. It's easier to see if you're on the ground looking up at where he is. You may need to use a bow to shoot it down.

You'll probably like the Partizan if you really like spears. Its R1 is a poke with good range and its R2s are halberd-like sweeps.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

drat this thread is frustrating. 10 more days!

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008
I'm having a way harder time in this game than any of the others deciding on a build, so I'm like the ultimate quality character right now with 14 in basically everything (other than luck/vigor). Started as a pyro but haven't found any good pyro skills other than the starter ones (at the beginning of Faron now) and don't know if I should commit to magic or str or dex yet. Basically I S+S fight now and throw some fireballs at something if it looks scary.

I'm using that frozen sword from the guy at the base of the giant's tower in Undead Settlement. It's a pretty good moveset, but my assumption is I probably don't want to blow my twinkling on it. Can't decide what to upgrade. Just give me Ludwig's Holy Blade please.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Minrad posted:

the secret is that you only have to use one spoiler block to give your post context instead of spoilering every single word while leaving up single letters, making it unreadable without highlighting the post instead of just doing a simple mouseover

I care because it's an eyesore and many people are doing it

mousing over text is so hard, can't handle it.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Harrow posted:

Iudex GundyrThe entirety of Dark Souls III rewards serious aggression, I've found.

Fixed that :darksouls:

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

And now Eygon is aggressive every time I try to sneak past him and I can't go on with the game. I can't kill him, he wrecks me every time. Only other option is to grind 25 000 souls and pray at the shrine?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Where/when do I trade in boss souls for weapons? I've just beat the catacombs boss

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Jose posted:

Where/when do I trade in boss souls for weapons? I've just beat the catacombs boss

Optional boss in the settlement.

Gortarius
Jun 6, 2013

idiot

Optiquest posted:

Can someone give me a hint where to go next?

Killed lady snake boss in anor londo and Im stumped

In the town area prior to said area there is a river. The one with the wolf/beast ripped out of Berserk. I'm pretty sure following along that river will get you to the next area.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Jose posted:

Have you beaten the giant tree boss in the Undead Settlement?

If so, go check out the thrones in Firelink Shrine and talk to the little guy there and give him the Kiln that boss dropped.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

Jose posted:

There's a dude sitting on one of the big chairs in firelink.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Jose posted:

Ludleth. Give him the kiln from killing the Greatwood.

Appoda
Oct 30, 2013

Jose posted:

There's a little man on one of the thrones in Firelink. Give him a holler.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Jose posted:

Go back to Undead Settlement, you missed a boss that drops an item that enables Soul Transposition by the little dude on the throne in Firelink.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
I got cursed :( How do I get rid of this status effect?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
cool thanks. I did kill the tree but I guess i never noticed him

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

BOSS BATTLES DID NOTHING WRONG
Argggggg the Abyss Walkers are everything I hate and fear in a Souls boss :smith: Humanoid bosses, fast, multiple enemies at once, MULTIPLE PHASES!! At least there aren't any over-powered AOE attacks???

Toiwat
Sep 6, 2011

Zaphod42 posted:

Unbelievable number of people getting stuck at firelink

Wait, how would one even get stuck at Firelink, there's literally just one thing to do when you first get there.

limited
Dec 10, 2005
Limited Sanity

voltron lion force posted:

Bloodborne definitely did have one. Remember the nightmare frontier?
Oh yeah. poo poo. :doh: At least that was smaller and a one-way corridor.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Azazell0 posted:

And now Eygon is aggressive every time I try to sneak past him and I can't go on with the game. I can't kill him, he wrecks me every time. Only other option is to grind 25 000 souls and pray at the shrine?

Just run past him then?

Nuggan
Jul 17, 2006

Always rolling skulls.
Ok heres me right now.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Bass Bottles posted:

Argggggg the Abyss Walkers are everything I hate and fear in a Souls boss :smith: Humanoid bosses, fast, multiple enemies at once, MULTIPLE PHASES!! At least there aren't any over-powered AOE attacks???

You are really going to dislike some of the later bosses then.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Nuggan posted:

Ok heres me right now.

Sweet hat.

How's pyro life treating ya?

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Andrast posted:

Just run past him then?

He follows me all the way inside the building and so far I've been unable to continue with the NPC there with him attacking me all the time.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Azazell0 posted:

He follows me all the way inside the building and so far I've been unable to continue with the NPC there with him attacking me all the time.

He's not going to follow you if you go up/down with the elevator.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuggan
Jul 17, 2006

Always rolling skulls.

Harrow posted:

How's pyro life treating ya?

I kill the Abyss Watchers in like 3-4 hits per stage. So, good.