Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JorgeHWB
Jan 15, 2016

Aww, ugly duckling...
bawk-bawk

Some college kid is going to have a bad day...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bart Fargo
Mar 24, 2005

Il Raggio Infernale

I started off being amused by this, but by about 2/3 through it I was thoroughly depressed.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

JorgeHWB posted:

I take it there's a well known rivalry here?

djssniper
Jan 10, 2003

JorgeHWB posted:

In Manchester, it doesn't matter how you secure your bike, I spotted this while out on a trek

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I always wanted to go around with a bike chain breaker and add like 3 or 4 links to everyone's chain.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

`Nemesis posted:

A friend of mine - as part of his employers health insurance program, there was an annual blood test. If they detected nicotine in your blood then you had to pay extra for the insurance. I'd guess this is probably similar.

Yeah my company does this, as well as testing for blood glucose and high cholesterol.

Though, if you test positive for nicotine they allow you to take a phone in or web course over a few weeks to "quit smoking" and get your premium discount/money back.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room
There's a signpost in my neighborhood that has had an intact bike lock, but no bike, on it for ages. I like to think it's kept up there as a warning.

im pooping!
Nov 17, 2006

wait so whats to stop you from just saying you dont smoke?

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

im pooping! posted:

The aforementioned blood tests which also check for nicotine? Kinda hard to fool one of those, I imagine. It might get you out of the surcharge/fine/whatever you want to call it for a year but you better take a break when the next test comes around.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

im pooping! posted:

Nothing, except if you get sick and the doctor says "Hey, this was caused by smoking.", then your policy is null and void.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Also it's any type of tobacco more than three times in the last six months, and e-cigs count against you. Also it's not just you but also any of your dependants. I still doubt they will actually test. The schadenfreude is on all Americans for living in a place where it's normal for your boss to fiddle around with your blood.

You can enroll in the quit smoking program to stop getting charged every month, but even then the adjustment only comes around every six months, so you could complete the program and still pay 100/mo for five months. I don't smoke BTW, but if I did and told them about it that would more than double what I pay for my insurance.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Why don't you whine more about it? Just don't smoke problem solved.

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

Anything is okay if you don't get caught!

... I hope this helps!

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lMOn5IRwijM

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
Well that escalated quickly

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gfsRm7x9vZ0

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

JorgeHWB posted:

This took me a minute, but I love this. Very wholesome schadenfreude.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

radiatinglines posted:

Also it's any type of tobacco more than three times in the last six months, and e-cigs count against you. Also it's not just you but also any of your dependants. I still doubt they will actually test. The schadenfreude is on all Americans for living in a place where it's normal for your boss to fiddle around with your blood.

You can enroll in the quit smoking program to stop getting charged every month, but even then the adjustment only comes around every six months, so you could complete the program and still pay 100/mo for five months. I don't smoke BTW, but if I did and told them about it that would more than double what I pay for my insurance.

So what if you're exposed to secondhand smoke, that's going to turn up in the blood test, right? But you don't smoke...

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

Why don't you whine more about it? Just don't smoke problem solved.

Stop having lovely lungs and go get augmented already.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON

Avenging_Mikon posted:

Every job I've had where people smoke they take more than their allotted breaks. Four smoke breaks on a four hour shift wasn't uncommon.

Who gives a poo poo? Are you their mommy, or their boss? If they're getting their work done and functioning, keep your big fat nose out of it.

The amount of productivity you get from a happy and mentally balanced worker who is able to take a breather when needed is SO MUCH MORE valuable than the 'lost productivity' of the breaktime, it's insane. And, the amount of breaks someone needs during a work day is going to be different from person-to-person, not something that can be systemtatically allotted in an effective way. And yeah, some people may go to far with it, in which case, if it IS a problem, let their boss handle it. And if you're their boss, seriously evaluate if it's having an effect on the team, or if you're just exercising petty control.

EDIT: Also yeah, I am honestly horrified about the mucking about with blood tests to 'gotcha' employees. That's terrifying. Think of all the money going into paying the salaries of people who just sit there tallying up and obsessing over who is smoking. I bet you right there, firing that person or service would save you $100/employee.

StrangersInTheNight has a new favorite as of 22:48 on Apr 15, 2016

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

StrangersInTheNight posted:

And, the amount of breaks someone needs during a work day is going to be different from person-to-person, not something that can be systemtatically allotted in an effective way.

Actually, they can be systematically allotted, because that's how breaks work.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
Well, people TRY to systematically allot them. But systems are very rarely followed with strict integrity, nor SHOULD they be - at least, not if an employee is being honest and taking care of their own needs properly. Systematically allotted breaks are a joke and, rarely enough time for someone to actually step away. Personally, I need myself needing about a 5min break every hour, which could be different for someone else - maybe they'd like to take one solid 30mins to get away instead. It's the naive manager who browbeats employees over minutes of time. And it's the petty co-worker who tracks his cohorts and gets bitter about who takes more break time.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Actually, they can be systematically allotted, because that's how breaks work.

Yeah, smoker's try to pull the 'why do you care?' a lot.

I don't care about them as person in any way. But the gymnastics they do to justify why they deserve more breaks or why it's unfair that they're starting to be called to task for burdening a group insurance policy for their bad decisions is pretty drat funny.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
Also I don't smoke, I am just a manager who hates this sort of attitude because it is bad management. And bad behavior in general. Stop policing others and keep your eyes on your own papers, children.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Lol at any company that gives breaks

Na'at
May 5, 2003

You need chaos in your soul to give birth to a dancing star
Lipstick Apathy
Considering obesity doesn't require a blood test to prove I say we charge fats the same amount as smokers.

Also everyone talking about this should go smoke a dogs dick cause these derails are loving miserable.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QwZ10aJVvn0

Lamprey Cannon
Jul 23, 2011

by exmarx

Na'at posted:

Also everyone talking about this should go smoke a dogs uncircumcised dick cause these derails are loving miserable.

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose
Taking a break assumes I was working in the first place.
:homebrew:2.2 million dollar poo:homebrew:

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

Every once in a while you stumble across pure gold in this thread.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Na'at posted:

Considering obesity doesn't require a blood test to prove I say we charge fats the same amount as smokers.

Also everyone talking about this should go smoke a dogs dick cause these derails are loving miserable.

They actually do. A new thing is "Know your numbers" where you receive discounts on your premium based on how healthy you are. These include smoking, blood pressure, cholesterol, and waist size. So yeah, they'll get to all of us eventually.

First they came for the smokers and I did not speak out - because I was not a smoker.

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

Deadly Ham Sandwich posted:

Amazing.

Also, quit the derail, friends.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

God Hole posted:

Every once in a while you stumble across pure gold in this thread.

I love how their reaction is to jump up and down, try to scream at a pitch to break glass, and attack the lamp, smashing it onto the floor.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Kurieg posted:

Someone typed "rm -rf /". Which is the nuclear option in terms of deleting data in a unix system.

rm is the remove command, -r means do a recursive delete: get rid of everything in the current directory and all child directories, -f means 'force it even if the system tells you this would be a very bad idea', and "/" absent of any other qualifiers means "Execute this in the hard drives root directory".

Eventually the process will stop, but that's because it gets into the system files and deletes something the computer needs to stay alive.

Sorta.

It was (supposedly) a script, where they wanted to "rm -rf $someDirectory/$someFile".

The problem is: if you forgot to set what you actually want $someDirectory and $someFile to be, the system goes "huh. $someDirectory doesn't mean anything, so I'll just use a blank value instead :downs:".

So instead of $someDirectory getting substituted for the location of the file you want to delete, and $someFile getting substituted for the file, the resulting command is just "rm -rf /".

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Baronjutter posted:

I love how their reaction is to jump up and down, try to scream at a pitch to break glass, and attack the lamp, smashing it onto the floor.

The best part is they scream like the cat guillotined itself with the lamp shade when it was just stuck and ended up being fine once it got out.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

burexas.irom
Oct 29, 2007

I disapprove of what you say, and I will defend your death because you have no right to say it!

Deadly Ham Sandwich posted:

the article posted:

Employees Jack Lowe and Dennis Reynolds

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d1WKCEEnbk8

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Man films mom trying Tesla Autopilot: https://www.facebook.com/Carbuzzcom/videos/1094816437244803/

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

JorgeHWB posted:

No one is going to steal that lovely beach cruiser bike. They weigh like 60 pounds, and are single speed:gonk:. I lived in the dorms for a while at my uni, and the bike racks were filled with beach cruisers slowly rusting away in the rain.

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

The audio on this is what I would expect if the cat was being slowly lowered into a wood chipper backwards. And if the cat was that girl's parents.

Karma Monkey
Sep 6, 2005

I MAKE BAD POSTING DECISIONS

Captain Lavender posted:

The audio on this is what I would expect if the cat was being slowly lowered into a wood chipper backwards. And if the cat was that girl's parents.

I thought that there was no bulb in the lamp and the cat had somehow got a paw in the bulb socket and was being electrocuted. That's the only way all of that audio makes sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JorgeHWB
Jan 15, 2016

Aww, ugly duckling...
bawk-bawk

A White Guy posted:

No one is going to steal that lovely beach cruiser bike. They weigh like 60 pounds, and are single speed:gonk:. I lived in the dorms for a while at my uni, and the bike racks were filled with beach cruisers slowly rusting away in the rain.

You would be right if it were not for the huge hipster presence and the large vagrant population in Tempe.