Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
I don't drink, sorry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
If I didn't work in the morning I'd be down for drunken Go!

Asleep Style
Oct 20, 2010

AdorableStar posted:

I just used tsumego.tasuki.org and it's actually the best free life and death you can do.

I've been working through Cho Chikun's elementary over the past week or so, I really like the way it's organized and how the problems build on themselves. I've definitely learned more from these problems than from other sites or apps I've tried.

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

:patriot:

HummedExplosions posted:

I've been working through Cho Chikun's elementary over the past week or so, I really like the way it's organized and how the problems build on themselves. I've definitely learned more from these problems than from other sites or apps I've tried.

And since there's no answers you really have to force yourself to read through the problem more completely. If you can't solve one, ask in here though.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Do you normally try to read it on the page, or put the stones out and read it on-board, or either? I kinda want to start setting up stones because it's so much easier for me to read l&d on an actual board.

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Wine can of their wits the wise beguile,
Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile.

silvergoose posted:

Do you normally try to read it on the page, or put the stones out and read it on-board, or either? I kinda want to start setting up stones because it's so much easier for me to read l&d on an actual board.

I started doing it on a virtual board and now I do it on my real board. Either way, it definitely makes it easier to see and I assume this is the intent.

In other news, holy poo poo I am playing the game of my life right now in an OGS tournament game against a 6k. I am 12k. I'm playing well and keeping up with him and he's super aggressive and has been trying to shut me down from the get-go. Right now he just forced a 3- (or 4-) step ko that I'm currently on the good side of. The ko is something he forced to make an invasion live, but I think I can take the 2 or 3 free moves and get more points elsewhere while he tries to live. It's super complicated and easily the most difficult game I've ever played.

I'll link to it once it's done. I would love feedback on it if anyone is willing.

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

I did it a lot on the go so I did it on my phone screen.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

AdorableStar posted:

I did it a lot on the go so I did it on my phone screen.

I see what you did there.

Thanks, I might set up my board just to, y'know, feel the pieces once in a while. Just staring at the problems were making me feel like I couldn't go through all the variations in my head.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

I go on-call tomorrow so I won't be able to drink, but I'll do plenty of marijuanas and play with folks almost any night this week, OGS/KGS!

derp
Jan 21, 2010

when i get up all i want to do is go to bed again

Lipstick Apathy
coooool, hit me up im jonasd everywhere else but here

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!

Johnny Truant posted:

I go on-call tomorrow so I won't be able to drink, but I'll do plenty of marijuanas and play with folks almost any night this week, OGS/KGS!

I am confused about your response to oncall duties

Also somebody should add me on OGS, on which I am nrook

Prodigious
May 6, 2007
On an epic quest to find spiky rocks to upgrade my club
Here's an excerpt from a 2d vs 2d tournament game on KGS

What is the status of the black group in this corner? (Both players misread the situation)

Shadonra
Oct 16, 2012
p1 q1 r1 t1 t4 q1 take, r1 ko, b takes first

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
seems to depend on who's turn it is

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Getting lumped in with randos in these OGS tournaments has a benefit, you get some experience with some wacko openings and you get to see why they might be a terrible idea. Some guy I was playing in a amll tournament played tengen on his first move as white. That game is still going and I'm behind by about 20 points, so maybe that tengen as white thing really does work. I also noticed the same guy (who is 12k) beat a 4k guy in the tournament, so naturally I decided to check the game out. This time he was black and he played offset 6-4s for his first two moves, while white played offset 4-3s. And I guess that worked for him too, because he roundly thrashed the 4k dude. This guy is Russian too, so he probably doesn't care about popular opinion on territory-taking strategies :smugdog:.

Speaking of that 4k dude, I've noticed that when strong players play weaker players in these tournaments, they seek to put the weaker player down quickly with a "killing blow" and sort of ignore territory. I was able to stay ahead of that 4k dude through about 100 moves because all he did was try to kill my groups and never sought to build territory. Ultimately he won through an odd invasion (2-3) underneath a thick corner group of mine and I made a mistep or two that allowed him to live.

ThePineapple
Oct 19, 2009

Prodigious posted:

Here's an excerpt from a 2d vs 2d tournament game on KGS

What is the status of the black group in this corner? (Both players misread the situation)

Shadonra posted:

p1 q1 r1 t1 t4 q1 take, r1 ko, b takes first

Yeah, seems about right. I really like this problem! It's also worth it to mention that:

After white plays r1 to start the ko, black can't try to avoid it by playing r2 then s1. White connects and lets black capture his stones, then makes a placement again at Q1.

Managed to read this myself without tinkering on a board!

http://eidogo.com/#17PZuKqt7:0,1

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
So over in forums Survivor, we're playing a modified variant of Connect 4, and I'm having to use my goban to track board state. It feels SO WRONG to put stone inside the boxes...

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
it never feels good to win on time a game you're losing badly

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
if I win one more game I'll be IGS 8k, and knowing that is seriously making me hesitant to play lol

e: just had the easiest game ever and ranked up :D this is my first marked improvement in years, granted I haven't been playing very much until just lately

mycophobia fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Apr 19, 2016

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
i just signed up for this

http://www.seattlego.org/li-hai-workshop/

be jelly

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

mycophobia posted:

it never feels good to win on time a game you're losing badly

On the contrary, it feels even better to cheese all your games. :smug:

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

If anyone is jonesing for some Michael Redmond, he released a full commentary of one of his games versus a fellow 9p for free of the AGA site recently. Find it here.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

I'll probably be balling on some OGS later tonight since I've only really been doing tsumego recently, if anybody wants to school me drop me a line!

Tigern
Sep 6, 2012

possibly tiger
Grimey Drawer
Can I get an invite to the OGS group? @tigernbutts

Edit: Can anyone recommend me some books that are available on Kindle? Unfortunately the Second Book of Go is not.

Tigern fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Apr 24, 2016

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

Graded go problems for beginners volumes 1-4.

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
anybody get to 1d yet?

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

I have a 5d account on kgs does that count

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
yes, that should be about 1d

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
I hit 8k+ on igs yesterday

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

mycophobia posted:

I hit 8k+ on igs yesterday

:woop:

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
Yeah I read Attack and Defense and now I'm reading Tesuji so I've been pwning n00bs left and right

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006
Is there a decent go set for small children? I'm thinking of a go equivalent to the Cracker Barrel oversized checkers rug.

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

PerniciousKnid posted:

Is there a decent go set for small children? I'm thinking of a go equivalent to the Cracker Barrel oversized checkers rug.

There's those small magnetic travelling boards but if it's for children like 5 then they're probably going to eat the pieces.

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Hmm, look at this guy. Specifically, look at his rank graph. He played over 300 games in the 13k-15k range, then literally overnight he's 5k.

IT BEGINS
Jan 15, 2009

I don't know how to make analogies

Overwined posted:

Hmm, look at this guy. Specifically, look at his rank graph. He played over 300 games in the 13k-15k range, then literally overnight he's 5k.

I might be missing something but it looks like he was moved there by a mod.

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

I didn't notice that. That's even weirder.

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

OGS ranks are bad. The fact that mods subjectively do that is worse.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

AdorableStar posted:

There's those small magnetic travelling boards but if it's for children like 5 then they're probably going to eat the pieces.

Yeah, that's basically the opposite of what I want, for that reason.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
In today's episode of "oh, that's why that isn't joseki", by nrook 17k

Don't be me, folks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goldreallas XXX
Oct 22, 2009
I decided to pick up my old go set recently, last time I played I was around 20K on KGS, probably a lot worse than that now. I want to make a concerted effort to improve my game, so I'm looking forwards to getting murdered by ya'll.

Could someone invite me into the SA room on OGS? Username is Spellbound_Dogfighter.