Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Say Nothing posted:

I remember in the Lois and Clark TV series some loser gets 50% of Superman's powers by being struck by lightning at the same time as him. Is this canon?

This also happens on Smallville, so if it's not canon it sure is common.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

They should've made Cassandra Cain Black Bat again, and then we could have China's Finest.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Say Nothing posted:

I remember in the Lois and Clark TV series some loser gets 50% of Superman's powers by being struck by lightning at the same time as him. Is this canon?

That sounds kinda like Livewire's origin -- she was zapped by lightning that was conducted through Superman.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Die Laughing posted:

They should've made Cassandra Cain Black Bat again, and then we could have China's Finest.

Except she's not Chinese?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Selachian posted:

That sounds kinda like Livewire's origin -- she was zapped by lightning that was conducted through Superman.

In the tv show Superman's presence at her origin was incidental, she would have become Livewire no matter what.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Yvonmukluk posted:

What kind of name is Woosan?

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

hiddenriverninja posted:

What kind of name is Woosan?
Korean maybe?

Anyway, I heard that in the old comics there was a super secret island of Black Kryptonians on Krypton, who opted to live segregated from, you know, normal Kryptonians. I think that got written out pretty fast or retconned into being just "a place."

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠
Fictional

Picklepuss
Jul 12, 2002

Fereydun posted:

this costume really reminds me of

seriously wow that's bad
At least Ralph's symbol resembles the Chinese character for "center", which is something at least.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Yvonmukluk posted:

Maybe? I don't know. She was the Batman of China in Batman Inc.

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

And when you stare long into the abyss, you become aggressively, terminally chill

I have to echo the whole 'cheap knockoff' comments... I mean drat, it's so generically superman, plus that :psyduck: S... also Kenji Kong?

Jesus it's all so ham-fisted

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I just realized what his costume reminds me of: he looks like those Chinese Commie "evil mirror of a hero" villains Marvel kept making in the 60s and 70s. He looks like Superman's Crimson Dynamo.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Lurdiak posted:

I just realized what his costume reminds me of: he looks like those Chinese Commie "evil mirror of a hero" villains Marvel kept making in the 60s and 70s. He looks like Superman's Crimson Dynamo.

Iron Man's rogues' gallery was really weak at the start of the '90s. "Communists? I'm supposed to give a poo poo?"

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Iron Man's rogues' gallery was weak his entire goddamn existence.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Lurdiak posted:

Iron Man's rogues' gallery was weak his entire goddamn existence.

Yeah, it's like, The Mandarin, Whiplash and Justin Hammer, plus their kids sometimes. (I do still get a kick out of that scene from Fraction's run when Hammer's daughter smashes Stark's car... then takes her heels off, because NOW she's ready for a fight.)

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Gaz-L posted:

Yeah, it's like, The Mandarin, Whiplash and Justin Hammer, plus their kids sometimes. (I do still get a kick out of that scene from Fraction's run when Hammer's daughter smashes Stark's car... then takes her heels off, because NOW she's ready for a fight.)

Hey, don't count out the Unicorn.

(and yes, that is a terrible costume, to keep it on topic)

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

The Unicorn is a guy with a laser hat and a shirt with a shirt with a pony on it. He's scarier than a guy with a knife, but not, like, two guys with knives.

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

"...for you, it is all over...!"
Hell, not even one guy with two knives.

Shakenbaker
Nov 14, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Wolverine >>> Warpath > Unicorn

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Warpath, a guy whose mutant power is being EXTRA Indian! It's kind of impressive he never had a Superfriends-level ethnic quota costume (that I recall).

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

McSpanky posted:

Warpath, a guy whose mutant power is being EXTRA Indian! It's kind of impressive he never had a Superfriends-level ethnic quota costume (that I recall).

Didn't he have the feather sticking up headband thing for his entire existence?

Shakenbaker
Nov 14, 2005

Grimey Drawer
The red and blue costume with all the fringe is pretty rough yeah, but his X-Force black and silver costume wasn't offensive at least. He just looked like Wolverine #4 :v:

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Rahne's shrinkwrapped werewolf look was the worst

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

So I know the dread spectre of Brand Synergy has been known to be an issue when it comes to superhero costumes, but can they please put Elektra in the Netflix costume ASAP?
For reference, what both costumes look like in Marvel Heroes:

Much better, wouldn't you agree?

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
I bet you are the fucker that complains about Jim Lee's Psylocke.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Toshimo posted:

The only people who like Jim Lee Psylocke are jacking off.

Picklepuss
Jul 12, 2002

Yvonmukluk posted:

Much better, wouldn't you agree?
Not at all, but if this had to happen it'd be nice if the one on the left was at least red.

Lurdiak posted:

The only people who like Jim Lee Psylocke are jacking off.
Despite not having the equipment to jack off with I do like Jim Lee's Psylocke, except I'd rather it had been worn by a brand new (and less complicated) character 'cause I really liked Betsy's classic outfit too.

Picklepuss fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Apr 15, 2016

Picklepuss
Jul 12, 2002

edit: double post :shobon:

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Shakenbaker posted:

The red and blue costume with all the fringe is pretty rough yeah, but his X-Force black and silver costume wasn't offensive at least. He just looked like Wolverine #4 :v:

I loved the costumes on this run, Crain killed it.

Toshimo posted:

What's not to love????

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Toshimo posted:

Pardon me for thinking that the Netflix costume looks good and would largely fit the aesthetic of modern Marvel that's trying to actually appeal to more women readers. I mean, I liked the Cockrum Ms. Marvel costume, for instance, but I definitely think the McKelvie Captain Marvel suit is far better.

And BTW: Yes, I prefer the more modern take on Psylocke, thanks for asking. Sorry that expressing my opinion offends you so much, but I'm going to keep doing it.

Picklepuss posted:

Not at all, but if this had to happen it'd be nice if the one on the left was at least red.
Why does it have to be red? Elektra ran around in a whit costume for a fair while, if I recall correctly. And that one has red accents.

I suppose this is kind of a collision between what's 'iconic' and more practical stuff.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

It shouldn't be red because the red ninja outfit in Daredevil looks hilariously ridiculous.

"I am Nobu! My mother just dropped me off at the costume shop and when she gets back I will totally destroy Orange Julius!"

Picklepuss
Jul 12, 2002

Yvonmukluk posted:

Why does it have to be red? Elektra ran around in a whit costume for a fair while, if I recall correctly. And that one has red accents.

I suppose this is kind of a collision between what's 'iconic' and more practical stuff.
It's probably just me showing my age. I get why Elektra dresses like that in the TV show, and why the movie Falcon looks like a SWAT guy with mechanical wings, etc... but part of what I've always loved about comics are the fantastic and colorful costumes. For me, replacing them with realistic outfits take away from the escapism and fun.

EDIT: The short version is grandma misses when super-heroes and villains wore impractical spandex and/or bathing suits.

Picklepuss fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Apr 15, 2016

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Those thighs don't even look attached to her torso. It's like she's standing behind a giant pair of flesh-colored garden shears.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Elektra's TV costume looks like Mileena from Mortal Kombat.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Picklepuss posted:

It's probably just me showing my age. I get why Elektra dresses like that in the TV show, and why the movie Falcon looks like a SWAT guy with mechanical wings, etc... but part of what I've always loved about comics are the fantastic and colorful costumes. For me, replacing them with realistic outfits take away from the escapism and fun.

EDIT: The short version is grandma misses when super-heroes and villains wore impractical spandex and/or bathing suits.

Nah I'm with you. Realism in superhero comics is slowly draining the joy out of the genre and I sure hope this trend swings the other way soon.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

zoux posted:

What's not to love????

Every woman Cyclops runs into in his day-to-day life is gorgeous; it makes no sense that his mind would be blown like that.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Silhouette posted:

Elektra's TV costume looks like Mileena from Mortal Kombat.

Elektra's normal costume looks like Mileena.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
On the other hand, I'm firmly in favor of all super folk puttin on some drat pants.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

prefect posted:

Every woman Cyclops runs into in his day-to-day life is gorgeous; it makes no sense that his mind would be blown like that.

I have a vague recollection of her using psychic seduction powers on him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Mr. Maltose posted:

On the other hand, I'm firmly in favor of all most super folk puttin on some drat pants.

Namor's thong is impeccable, and I will not see it impugned. :colbert:

• Locked thread