Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

Nameless_Steve posted:

I know you meant "be dazzled" but I'm choosing to believe that women literally went around bedazzling men against their will. FABULOUS

...He used the word correctly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oiled and Ready
Oct 11, 2004

He wished it could be as respectable and orthodox as spying. But somehow in his hands the traditional tools and attitudes were always employed toward mean ends: cloak for a laundry sack, dagger to peel potatoes, dossiers to fill up dead Sunday afternoons ...

thethreeman posted:

latter is an interesting point, will be fascinating to see what happens at treasury auctions if trump gets the nom and looks halfway credible. I bet yields jump materially. Can't wait to read the downgrades from moodys/etc

And he can spin it all as the "crisis" he's been predicting, and it will work. He's the self-fulfilling prophet, he has been since he purposefully overpaid for the Plaza to generate news and thus raise the worth of the property.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Oiled and Ready posted:

No, I just don't understand how it is victim blaming. No one is saying the rapists wouldn't be wholly responsible for the crime, only that you can take precautions to make them less successful.

Don't leave a gold watch on your dash with the doors unlocked. It's still just as bad to steal it, but it's not smart. Don't wear a Trump shirt at a pro-Bernie protest. It's your right, and if you get assaulted it's a crime, but it's not smart. Don't find yourself among several rowdy drunken frat boys as a cute small girl. It's your right, and if you know them personally that's different, but otherwise it is not smart because they may commit a crime, which is still illegal and they are to blame but perhaps you would rather be safe than be correct as you pursue legal action.
"Leaving a gold watch on your dash" is an action.
"Wearing a shirt." is an action.
"Being a girl" is not an action.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

"Leaving a gold watch on your dash" is an action.
"Wearing a shirt." is an action.
"Being a girl" is not an action.

you're saying girls shouldn't wear shirts?

Nameless_Steve
Oct 18, 2010

by Pragmatica

Agronox posted:

...He used the word correctly.

Check again:

"men believed they could bedazzled by women"

Oiled and Ready
Oct 11, 2004

He wished it could be as respectable and orthodox as spying. But somehow in his hands the traditional tools and attitudes were always employed toward mean ends: cloak for a laundry sack, dagger to peel potatoes, dossiers to fill up dead Sunday afternoons ...

Fidel Castronaut posted:

there are a lot of folks who cling to ideology that is from the early modern period when men believed they could bedazzled by women to the point that they couldn't help themselves in a literal not figurative way. so, it is the woman's responsibility to not seduce them.

No, they cling to the ideology that no matter what we do certain men will think that way and you can pretend we live in a society and have a higher chance of getting raped or you can precaution against it. No matter what, legally and morally the man is fully to blame, but you can reduce the chances of being a target. Y'know, like not wearing a shirt that says "my skin would make a good suit" wouldn't shift blame from Buffalo Bill but you still shouldn't wear that shirt around him.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Fidel Castronaut
Dec 25, 2004

Houston, we're Havana problem.

Oiled and Ready posted:

No, I just don't understand how it is victim blaming. No one is saying the rapists wouldn't be wholly responsible for the crime, only that you can take precautions to make them less successful.

Don't leave a gold watch on your dash with the doors unlocked. It's still just as bad to steal it, but it's not smart. Don't wear a Trump shirt at a pro-Bernie protest. It's your right, and if you get assaulted it's a crime, but it's not smart. Don't find yourself among several rowdy drunken frat boys as a cute small girl. It's your right, and if you know them personally that's different, but otherwise it is not smart because they may commit a crime, which is still illegal and they are to blame but perhaps you would rather be safe than be correct as you pursue legal action.

Psst...one of the big issues is how much time we spend talking about women's clothes instead of talking about ways in which to make it so that women can go to parties without worrying. Sort of like how maybe we should spend more time focusing on what it is that gets a person to the point that they are stealing watches instead of telling people to hide their valuables.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Oiled and Ready posted:

No, they cling to the ideology that no matter what we do certain men will think that way and you can pretend we live in a society and have a higher chance of getting raped or you can precaution against it. No matter what, legally and morally the man is fully to blame, but you can reduce the chances of being a target. Y'know, like not wearing a shirt that says "my skin would make a good suit" wouldn't shift blame from Buffalo Bill but you still shouldn't wear that shirt around him.
Again, it's your equating "having a vagina" with open goading that is the problem here.

Fidel Castronaut
Dec 25, 2004

In my old neighborhood, cops would leave "report cards" on the windshields of cars parked on the streets that gave them a grade and took points off for things like unlocked doors or visible electronics. That's basically what approaches to rape that focus on women's outfits and behavior are: a stupid infantilzing waste of time that does nothing to get to the root of the issue, which is what a guy who is running for president should be talking about. We wouldn't be having this conversation if Kasich was asked about inner-city crime and said people shouldn't leave their phones in their cars because it would obviously be a really stupid loving response but him talking about parties and rape somehow makes dudes nod approvingly.

ATP_Power
Jun 12, 2010

This is what fascinates me most in existence: the peculiar necessity of imagining what is, in fact, real.

Oiled and Ready posted:

Don't find yourself among several rowdy drunken frat boys as a cute small girl. It's your right, and if you know them personally that's different, but otherwise it is not smart because they may commit a crime, which is still illegal and they are to blame but perhaps you would rather be safe than be correct as you pursue legal action.
According to RAINN, your advice wouldn't be particularly helpful.
"Approximately 4/5 of rapes were committed by someone known to the victim.
82% of sexual assaults were perpetrated by a non-stranger.
47% of rapists are a friend or acquaintance.
25% are an intimate.
5% are a relative."

https://rainn.org/get-information/statistics/sexual-assault-offenders

CheesyDog
Jul 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
No, I just don't understand how it is out of context. No one is saying journalists wouldn't be wholly responsible for publishing the quote, only that you can take precautions to make the media less successful.

Don't tell women about rape if you're a GOP candidate. It's still just as bad to quote it, but it's not smart. Don't wear a Trump hat around your neighbors. It's your right, and if you get assaulted it's a crime, but it's not smart. Don't find yourself among several members of the media as a Republican political candidate. It's your right, and if you know them personally that's different, but otherwise it is not smart because they may quote you, which is still gotcha journalism and they are to blame but perhaps you would rather be safe than be correct as you pursue Presidential nomination.

Bethamphetamine
Oct 29, 2012

boom boom boom posted:

you're saying girls shouldn't wear shirts?

Girls should exercise their Second Amendment Rights. Kasich already signed the assault weapons ban in the mid 90's, and now he's failing to advocate for second amendment remedies in the case of attempted rape.
I don't think we can trust him to defend our Constitutional right to bear arms, and use them for self-defense.

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006

I've been wanting to sleep with Sharon Stone for 25 years. This is our time! Commiserate with me in the time of our civilization's end, my crazy blonde Internet crush.

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006

radical meme posted:

Still, Mattis is a "childless single man" so unless he's practicing a lot of unconstitutional sex

He's a Marine. How familiar are you with our military? Basically lots of sex is why we piss off everyone we have military bases stationed in.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
Telling a woman she shouldn't go to a party with alcohol if she doesn't want to get raped and telling her she should always wear a burqa if she doesn't want to get raped are different in degree, not in kind, but a Republican would not get away with telling women to wear burqas, for some reason

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!

Oiled and Ready posted:

Doing dumb poo poo is your right as an American. Rape isn't. No one at a drunken party or a Trump rally has to give a flying gently caress about what you or someone who can't control their sex drive thinks and you're wrong. That's why rapists go to jail and people in skirts don't get fined.

thethreeman
May 10, 2008
Fallen Rib
http://thehill.com/blogs/ballot-box/276532-trump-supporters-protest-in-colorado

this protest... it's YUUUUGE
https://twitter.com/NickRiccardi/status/721079101365161985?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw
https://twitter.com/SteveStaeger/status/721091781924773888?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006

Majorian posted:

Yeah, Kerry's already said that it's having negative effects on our diplomatic efforts, and while I'm sure he'd be saying that anyway because he's a good team player for the Dems, I imagine there's some truth to it.

I'm friends with lots of Koreans through work-related contexts. Young (as in, younger than 50) Koreans tend to tune out everything not in their own field of vision because they grew up with a military dictatorship based on "everyone outside the motherland wants to kill us" and they're in recovery. So basically what I'm saying is when I talk to my Korean friends about Donald Trump, they gently make sure I'm not literally insane first and then ask "how the gently caress could this ever happen, ever."

The answer to that question will make several interesting books.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

Nameless_Steve posted:

Check again:

Apologies, you are correct.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc

Lum_ posted:

I'm friends with lots of Koreans through work-related contexts. Young (as in, younger than 50) Koreans tend to tune out everything not in their own field of vision

That explains that double eye-lid plastic surgery craze at least.

Fidel Castronaut
Dec 25, 2004

Nameless_Steve posted:

I know you meant "be dazzled" but I'm choosing to believe that women literally went around bedazzling men against their will. FABULOUS

I actually meant "be bedazzled." Whoops.

e: Worth it to get this sweet gif out of it.

Fidel Castronaut fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Apr 16, 2016

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.
I attended Grove City Colllege, in PA. It is a conservative Protestant school with required chapel attendance, no co-ed dorms (they're actually on opposite ends of campus), strictly monitored and timed "intervisitation periods" where you have to sign a member of the opposite sex into your dorm room and keep the door open, and absolutely no alcohol permitted under penalty of a week off-campus suspension.

Guess what was a major safety concern there a few years before I attended? Yep, a rash of sexual assaults against female students.

John Kasich can suck it.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

I assume Republicans making noise about how they'd prefer to run against Hillary, how she's a weaker candidate than Bernie and Bernie's great/authentic/"at least he's honest" etc is all because none of them think he could be the candidate so it's risk-free to start framing the narrative of Clinton's candidacy as a mistake by the Dems. They're not at risk of having to go back and say "Actually Sanders is a threat to our democracy and will destroy your freedoms" later so they might as well leverage him and maybe demoralize more of his supporters when he loses.

I wouldn't be surprised if there was a similar point very early on in '08 when praising Obama as a way to make Clinton look worse was considered fairly safe for Republicans, but once it started looking like he could win they naturally backed off of that.

It's a little tough to say the same's happening with the Republican candidates right now. Democrats will occasionally suggest that Kasich is at least within the realm of sanity, but that honestly sounds less like a tactic and more like a basic statement of fact compared to his competition. Even that'll throttle back as he adds statements like the alcohol thing to people's public perception of him.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

Again, it's your equating "having a vagina" with open goading that is the problem here.

If anyone is still having trouble with all of this, read this post again. Then do it again.

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

Here's a controversial hot take that would instantly get me crucified within the Republican Party: Maybe people should stop raping others regardless of what they're wearing or how much they've had to drink?

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
Primary opponent concern trolling is like the original form of concern trolling. There are Trilobites fossilized in the act of saying "actually, I prefer running against [winning trilobite]"

Dr.Zeppelin
Dec 5, 2003

Thump! posted:

Here's a controversial hot take that would instantly get me crucified within the Republican Party: Maybe people should stop raping others regardless of what they're wearing or how much they've had to drink?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ILZQSmE5Uu0

Pidgin Englishman
Apr 30, 2007

If you shoot
you better hit your mark
'Don't go to a party with alcohol to avoid rape' is about as useful as saying 'dont park your car on the street to avoid theft'.

The car analogy was for Kasich.

Buckle up

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Conservatives are so sad when they protest, even in cases where they are unambiguously in the right like in complaining about Trump's upcoming ratfucking

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

This is something I don't often say, or like to say, but: human being

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

Jewel Repetition posted:

This is something I don't often say, or like to say, but:

Ok, so keep not saying it.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
In a world without CU the RNC might have had to engage its own voters in a way other than stroking their hate boners and there might not have been a Trump candidacy.

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
shocking, old white dude has lovely opinions

point of return
Aug 13, 2011

by exmarx
the man's twitter handle is literally baseballcrank

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

Lemming posted:

Ok, so keep not saying it.

Sorry, it was just the only response I could think of that expressed everything.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Nameless_Steve posted:

Check again:

i want to be bedazzled

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Pence showed up for the season opener of the Indianapolis Indians and got a resounding chorus of boos

It was a flicker of light in the otherwise barren and dark cockles of my heart

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003
For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is John Galt? This is John Galt speaking. I am the man who loves his life. I am the man who does not sacrifice his love or his values. I am the man who has deprived you of victims and thus has destroyed your world, and if you wish to know why you are peris

Lum_ posted:

He's a Marine. How familiar are you with our military? Basically lots of sex is why we piss off everyone we have military bases stationed in.

Sim City 2000 got it right when they designed it so having a military base in your city increases crime.

Karl Sharks
Feb 20, 2008

The Immortal Science of Sharksism-Fininism

mandatory lesbian posted:

i want to be bedazzled

what about being vagazzled?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Mans Land
Feb 26, 2016

by Cowcaster

skaboomizzy posted:

I attended Grove City Colllege, in PA. It is a conservative Protestant school with required chapel attendance, no co-ed dorms (they're actually on opposite ends of campus), strictly monitored and timed "intervisitation periods" where you have to sign a member of the opposite sex into your dorm room and keep the door open, and absolutely no alcohol permitted under penalty of a week off-campus suspension.

Guess what was a major safety concern there a few years before I attended? Yep, a rash of sexual assaults against female students.

John Kasich can suck it.

Sounds like they put those rules in place for a reason then??

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

• Locked thread