Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Renaissance Robot posted:

Oh yeah also I'm pretty sure a lot of the old chain oil is now coating my rear tyre and brake disc :suicide:

I did have a go at scrubbing the disc with brake cleaner and a rag, but the things never seem to come all the way clean on the best of days. Not sure what I can do about the tyre except ride carefully for the next few miles until the road dust can scrub it a bit.

Don't worry too much about it. If you feel the rear brake braking, it will wear or cook away whatever prevents braking. Trust me, you can totally feel a little bit of oil making GBS threads on your braking experience, immediately. If you're worried about the rear tire, scrub it with sandpaper. But chances are it too is fine.

You cleaned it with a solvent, the oily grime is loaded with solvent so it doesn't retain its deadly, Renaissance Robot-toppling lubricity. I'll add a different angle to your anxiety - shortly after I degreased by horridly clogged chain, the master link snapped. It was as if the grime kept it together somehow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Beach Bum posted:

I've only lived in my house since October and there are already so many new and interesting stains on my garage floor :haw:
Get a big bag of cat litter (the clay type) and use it to soak up fluid spills. Just pour a pile onto the spill, leave it there for a day then sweep it up. :eng101:

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Also pee and poop in it, yknow, if you want

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Bonus points for sleeving your cable.
Those signals came out really nice.

That's awesome, you're awesome. Those indicators came put really nice, what kind of printer do you have?

Thanks! I am a bit spergy about use of heat shrink, sleeving, crimped connections, etc. in my electrical wiring. It does make a difference to reliability, though, and it sure looks better than the usual PO solution of a handful of loose wires connected with the wrong size of wire-nuts and insulated with crinkled-up electrical duct tape.

My personal printer is a MendelMax 3 (started out as a 2, but I've been continuously upgrading as does happen). I did the carbon fiber parts on mine, because I'd worked out the calibration for the material, but printed the lenses on one of the printers in the university lab in order to save time.

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Apr 15, 2016

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002
Installed the new left footpeg bracket so I can finally use the shifter again, removed the last four brackets for mounting the fairings from the frame, and finally shifted the bike into neutral for the first time since I got it.

Oh, and started it up for the first time. It started easily despite only having spark on one cylinder since I lost the spark plug boot for the front cylinder somewhere while I was stripping the broken crap off last weekend. Actually idled well and revved ok despite basically being a thumper pushing the extra dead weight of a non firing cylinder. Not bad for a $500 bike :getin:

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Also took off the luggage rack to make my mechanic's life a bit easier this weekend (since the rack impedes the removal of the rear fairings, which need to come off for engine access. Yeah.) and managed to lose one of the nuts off the left rear passenger peg in the process. It's a standard 13mm nylock, so I'll take a walk down the timber shop tomorrow to get a new set.

Did this, and in the process discovered that while all four bolts on the passenger footpegs are M10 thread, the rear nuts have a spanner size of 13mm but the front ones are 12mm :wtc:

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Did this, and in the process discovered that while all four bolts on the passenger footpegs are M10 thread, the rear nuts have a spanner size of 13mm but the front ones are 12mm :wtc:

I forgot, do you have a Honda?

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

I put on an FZ6R shock. Finally have balanced suspension! But stiff.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Sagebrush posted:

I forgot, do you have a Honda?

Sold it, I'm team green now. (ZX6E)

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Installed a RAM mount and a hardwired USB port for my phone for navigation.

Snapshot
Oct 22, 2004

damnit Matt get in the boat
Replaced my cowl and filled and bled my coolant after my bike was knocked over on St. Patrick's day.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

HotCanadianChick posted:

The axis of petrol, if you will.
I am inspired to make a gang tag now.

solarNativity
Nov 11, 2012

Today I put on this silly tank bra, in hopes that it would help me grip the tank a bit better. I got it for $shipping from a kind fellow who had an SV once but no longer does. I'm not sure if it helped any, but it doesn't look terrible so I'll probably leave it on 'til I get some proper tank gripz.

Next up: Those godawful tires, and that godawful chain, and the godawful sprocket. Christ.

solarNativity fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Apr 16, 2016

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Ola posted:

Speaking of pot metal piece of poo poo, had the exhaust sandblasted today. Painting this weekend. Hopefully it can last a couple of years.

Painted exhaust back on. It'll go grey to match the layer of protective engine grime soon enough.

Did fork seals as well. PO of the eBayed forks had put the damper rods (the one you drop in) on TOP of the spring instead of under. Strangely it handled ok. :geno: Glad I opened them up and had a look.

Also, I had problems getting the fork back together and absentmindedly fitted a bushing in the lower without the stanchion in place. The bushing stuck and I couldn't get it out or the fork through it. Idiot. Happily the old lower was in ok condition so I used that instead.

Did a quick test ride to put some heat in the exhaust to harden the paint, all seems ok. Some oil appeared on the fork leg and I did notice a blemish which could be a ground down groove which might let the oil through the seal. Hopefully it was just oil I spilled when filling. If it still leaks, I will try the razor blade trick. And slit my loving wrists.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Finally got it from the shop :neckbeard:

While I was waiting, a guy out front had what looked like a Ducati 900 SuperSport, and man it sounded great when he took off down the road. Had some trouble idling, but I'd put that down to the Italian electrics :v:

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Ola posted:

Painted exhaust back on. It'll go grey to match the layer of protective engine grime soon enough.

Did fork seals as well. PO of the eBayed forks had put the damper rods (the one you drop in) on TOP of the spring instead of under. Strangely it handled ok. :geno: Glad I opened them up and had a look.

Also, I had problems getting the fork back together and absentmindedly fitted a bushing in the lower without the stanchion in place. The bushing stuck and I couldn't get it out or the fork through it. Idiot. Happily the old lower was in ok condition so I used that instead.

Did a quick test ride to put some heat in the exhaust to harden the paint, all seems ok. Some oil appeared on the fork leg and I did notice a blemish which could be a ground down groove which might let the oil through the seal. Hopefully it was just oil I spilled when filling. If it still leaks, I will try the razor blade trick. And slit my loving wrists.

I'd run some film or a thin card or something around the fork seal to see if you can knock any grit off.

Also I once installed a fork seal upside down and it failed pretty quick. :(

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Z3n posted:

I'd run some film or a thin card or something around the fork seal to see if you can knock any grit off.

Also I once installed a fork seal upside down and it failed pretty quick. :(

It's a fresh seal and a clean stanchion, so it's either good or junk. $160 for a new repro stanchion. If I took the money I spend keeping this thing in good shape, I could probably buy a slightly newer bike which would need more expensive parts. That's my justification.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

I've cleaned the tank out of the GS500 I've inherited and have the carbs off waiting to do a clean on them. After I get the carbs cleaned it and back on the bike, I'll see if it will actually run with throttle applied this time. Bike sat for over a year before it came into my possession.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

3,325mi on the packing. yeah uh, blew that all to poo poo. (repacked it)

goddrat I pile miles on this thing.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Rolled 12k on the S1000XR today I think, forgot to check.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
Got my mom's 1969 Ducati Monza Jr. tuned up on the dyno today. Had to put a resistor plug in it to get that done because the magneto on that bike puts out such a huge spark that it was freezing up all USB interfaces on the dyno computer, including the one to the dyno interface box itself. Hadn't seen a bike do that before.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Vintage Italian electrics: Too Good

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

Got my mom's 1969 Ducati Monza Jr. tuned up on the dyno today. Had to put a resistor plug in it to get that done because the magneto on that bike puts out such a huge spark that it was freezing up all USB interfaces on the dyno computer, including the one to the dyno interface box itself. Hadn't seen a bike do that before.

Your mom is a badass.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
That's a real nice headlight nacelle.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Vintage Italian electrics: Too Good

More like italian bikes: even the electrics leak.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

Chichevache posted:

Your mom is a badass.

Barnsy
Jul 22, 2013
Woke up excited to take the bike out this morning after three weeks on a research trip. Check tyre pressures and the rear is down by 2 bar (never deflated more than 0.2 since I've owned it). Sure enough, massive screw has been there since the last ride I took. Straight to the shop after a good pump to get fixed.

On the plus side, I got to ride a CB500x for the day again.

Man I missed my bike...

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Yesterday: completely re-set the sag, comp, and rebound on the Uly for my weight + 50 lbs. Why didn't I do this before?

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Picked it up. The wind grabbed my tarp and blew it over. Bent indicator and some scratches. Spring weather! :argh:

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH
Rode 60km with loose grip on the throttle tube, was in an area with no late night stores and the gas stations apparently does not stock glue of any kind. I've had instant glue in my tool kit before, but I forgot to put more in it after the last tube ran out... Not forgetting that again.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Picking it up from the shop tomorrow! :toot: Can't wait to hear what it sounds like when it's not running like poo poo/a lumpy triple.

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

Heeelp meee... prevent wildfires
I rode it to work with tiny new blinkers and didn't get run over by anybody who couldn't see them.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
This is me with the EX250 right now:

-upgraded stiffer, adjustable, rear shock
-dual usb charger tucked under fairing
-glalfer steel braided front brakes
-new pads
-bled lines
-speed bleeders
-aux clutch cable installed and tucked
-clear windscreen
-clear laminar lip (which also fits the wr250x windscreen)
-new black fairing/everything fastener kit

Supradog posted:

Rode 60km with loose grip on the throttle tube, was in an area with no late night stores and the gas stations apparently does not stock glue of any kind. I've had instant glue in my tool kit before, but I forgot to put more in it after the last tube ran out... Not forgetting that again.

You couldn't find hairspray, coca cola, or some other suitable thing?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Supradog posted:

Safety wire. Carry some (you can wrap it around your handlebar if you're into that mad max stuff) and it helps you reattach all kinds of things.

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH
Uugh, fuuck. I actually had some cable ties in my kit as I remember it. I guess I was too tired and got single tracked on "glue".

Hmm, the gas stations would actually have had both hairspray and cola. I'll remember that to the next time.

Yeah. my bigger tool kit for longer trips has safety wire and super glue, my small kit should have had superglue, I was just an idiot who didn't restock it.

Supradog fucked around with this message at 09:50 on Apr 22, 2016

Dutymode
Dec 31, 2008
Put Kenda K671's on the Ninja. Even budget tires are better than old stock tires!

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
I rode it home. All the way home, if you know what I mean :heysexy:

Uuuuhhh my god a properly functioning i4 feels so good. Turns out number 4 carb wasn't actually shutting off when I closed the throttle (the jet needle was getting caught up on a bit of rubber, or something like that), and was constantly vomiting fuel straight into the cylinder. It's so smooth now, and it sounds and feels so good that it's super tempting to blitz it on every clear stretch. Basically this was me the whole way back:

Bonus deal: oil in the radiator coolant :suicide: though given this bike's history with a wrench-happy but not especially competent PO I'm willing to bet it's highly likely he's dropped some oil down the coolant access cap by accident rather than it being a sign of the head gasket going. We'll see.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Also apparently the airbox cover was held on with zip ties. :thejoke:

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Also apparently the airbox cover was held on with zip ties. :thejoke:
Hey don't put down zipties, I use zipties everywhere man. I used zipties to hold on a racing seat once it worked great until i went into a big steering wobble in turn 10 at NHMS and the seat flew off when I stood up so maybe you shouldn't use zipties on everything actually.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

Bonus deal: oil in the radiator coolant :suicide: though given this bike's history with a wrench-happy but not especially competent PO I'm willing to bet it's highly likely he's dropped some oil down the coolant access cap by accident rather than it being a sign of the head gasket going. We'll see.

Do you have an oil cooler too? that could be another possible culprit.