Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
XkyRauh
Feb 15, 2005

Commander Keen is my hero.

Truga posted:

There's still some very annoying issues with dedicated server too. Like a bunch programmable block things simply not working, for example. Also, batteries are better but still very odd.
So far as I know, the Programming Blocks work great on a Dedicated Server. I've been using them on all my ships! What can't they do for you?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Uncle Spriggly posted:

I've been tossin up Discords like it's nobodies business, would anyone be interested in one?

Discords?

Firos
Apr 30, 2007

Staying abreast of the latest developments in jam communism

Like mumble/vent but (even more?) free.

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

Firos posted:

Like mumble/vent but (even more?) free.

I'd describe it more as a Skype replacement that can also serve as a mumble/vent. But same diff.

Mercutio Martino
Feb 13, 2015

Knight of the Sovereign Military Order of Sealand

Firos posted:

I loved the script that you can get that makes it so that a solar farm follows the sun as it traverses the sky :allears:

I also love the idea of being part of a mining Corp trying to keep up with the demands of a refinery Corp. I might be up for starting a new world tonight if anyone else is interested? Or maybe some other day idk. Only mods I'd have on are some gun blocks, other armour blocks and a hyperdrive (jump drive turned to 11) block. All survival balanced.

Edit: Oh and also earthbreaker drill because that thing is a billion times better than the vanilla large ship drill.

I've added you on Steam. Anyone who wants to add me, I go by Killery there.

We're gonna have to get you on a lot of mods, but honestly I like the challenge of replicating them in vanilla. Glad some one else has the same ideas of faction roles. Not saying hard core role play, but yeah. Great minds think alike I guess.

Mercutio Martino
Feb 13, 2015

Alright I can't take this poo poo anymore, and I've put it off for too long. Before I comb through my list of mods turning them off and on one at a time, reloading worlds, and looking up every mod again, does anyone know if a mods has the issue of making Large + Small Atmospheric Thrusters not appear on the G Menu and say they are not available for small ships? Asking to save myself some time and avoid posting my full list here in a block of spam.

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~
Getting into space is easy if you add a speed limit mod, 110m/s makes it stupidly hard to get into space.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Spookydonut posted:

Getting into space is easy if you add a speed limit mod, 110m/s makes it stupidly hard to get into space.

Speed has nothing to do with it, you just need enough force from your thrusters :eng101:.

edit: One thing that's been annoying with trying to work on my main ship is the drat thing's just too half-assed from the ground up. It's been fiddled to death with new bits on top of ancient bits, on top of other bits, so I'm starting from scratch.

It's the same length, just a bit fatter. And basically the Avarice scaled down.

The indentations are where I've gotta stick more vulcans and AA guns, along with actually do the internal conveyors for everything and some maneuvering thrusters.

I could seal the engines behind armor completely, but I just like the way it looks :allears:.

Only one thing left to do, and that's retire the old Avalon version properly. OPEN FIRE!

Neddy Seagoon fucked around with this message at 13:35 on Apr 12, 2016

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Neddy Seagoon posted:

edit: One thing that's been annoying with trying to work on my main ship is the drat thing's just too half-assed from the ground up. It's been fiddled to death with new bits on top of ancient bits, on top of other bits, .

software_development.txt

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Speed has nothing to do with it, you just need enough force from your thrusters :eng101:.

Then how about so it doesn't take 20 minutes to get anywhere.

EM thruster mod best mod. It's hilariously op

Asmodai_00
Nov 26, 2007

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Only one thing left to do, and that's retire the old Avalon version properly. OPEN FIRE!

:patriot:

lilspooky
Mar 21, 2006
Question time.

So if I do the Solar System start there will be no pirates to be found spawning anywhere? Especially on planets?

If you do the easy earth start you get pirates nearby. Do they spawn randomly throughout the planet? Also importantly, is it a full star system as well or just earth?

Finally, since Keen has disabled a lot of cargo ships and pirate things for the time being is there a mod out there that my buddy and I could add to incorporate some type of NPC threat?

Mercutio Martino
Feb 13, 2015

lilspooky posted:

Question time.

So if I do the Solar System start there will be no pirates to be found spawning anywhere? Especially on planets?

If you do the easy earth start you get pirates nearby. Do they spawn randomly throughout the planet? Also importantly, is it a full star system as well or just earth?

Finally, since Keen has disabled a lot of cargo ships and pirate things for the time being is there a mod out there that my buddy and I could add to incorporate some type of NPC threat?

If you start on a solar system, random encounters are disabled. Keen is still working on that.

The easy start base pirates aren't the same AI as the randomly encountered ships, heck I think it's just programming blocks set on auto to fly straight for your base.

The mods still work, just not on any world you generate that has planets on it.

lilspooky
Mar 21, 2006
So if I wanted to setup some kind of game for him and I to play that had some kind of NPC threat what would you guys recommend?

I take it that it's currently impossible to have an NPC threat on a planet outside of boring dogs and spiders?

squidflakes
Aug 27, 2009

SHORTBUS
I started a game, I think it was Solar System, and it had me sinking slowly toward a planet.

From the moment I touched down until I gave up 20 minutes later and went back to Asteroids, the game kept spawning cyberhounds. Dozens of packs of them with 6-8 in each pack. Is that the normal spawn rate?

lilspooky
Mar 21, 2006
Ya, that seems to be the way it goes which is why it's probably best to turn them off. They don't add any real fun to the game and it's mostly frustration as they just randomly pop up and destroy your stuff. Especially annoying in the early parts of a game when you're just trying to get started.

Mercutio Martino
Feb 13, 2015

lilspooky posted:

So if I wanted to setup some kind of game for him and I to play that had some kind of NPC threat what would you guys recommend?

I take it that it's currently impossible to have an NPC threat on a planet outside of boring dogs and spiders?

Pretty much. Head back to infinite asteroid worlds with some kind of radar or scan mod. I use the [urll=http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=531659576]Exploration Enhancement Mod v.2[/url] which has all kinda cool crap.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Ultimate Shrek Fan posted:

Then how about so it doesn't take 20 minutes to get anywhere.

EM thruster mod best mod. It's hilariously op

Thr Azimuth thrusters also work just fine in atmosphere too.

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~

Neddy Seagoon posted:

It's way easier if you build up huge velocity with atmospheric thrusters before you have to start burning hydrogen.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

And now they're all properly hooked up. Or at least have conveyors linking them to inside of the triple-layer armored hull :v:.

The big cannons are grouped in vertical "Rings" and the Heavy Defense Turrets are grouped by their respective sides this time (Up, down, port, starboard). Also actually named each of the major cannons with their location this time so you know which one you're trying to manually control instead of guessing randomly. The rest are just one big group per weapon type as generic automated defenses.

lilspooky
Mar 21, 2006
Anyone got any good workshop links to blueprints for bases / stations / outposts I could possibly build? Preferably vanilla.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

lilspooky posted:

Anyone got any good workshop links to blueprints for bases / stations / outposts I could possibly build? Preferably vanilla.

Try this;

The Stack-A-Station. Build it up deck-by-deck with installed projectors. Just lift the respective Deck projector's vertical height to the top of the station's current peak and build away.

I should also really go update it with Jump Drives and Hydrogen Thrusters for the landing engines.

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

And now they're all properly hooked up. Or at least have conveyors linking them to inside of the triple-layer armored hull :v:.

How have you layered your armor? And have you tested it vs. various munitions?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

pun pundit posted:

How have you layered your armor? And have you tested it vs. various munitions?

In one colossal three-layer brick throughout the length of the ship :v:. The only thing getting in in one hit is either one of Eikester's nukes, which can be mitigated with secondary armor between decks and redundant conveyor lines (ie me being lazy and filling gaps between decks with more armor) or one of the BIG cannons in Rider's cannon pack, which is about the same.

Not to mention you're up against a whole lot of CIWS fire on the way in and mass-fire saturation chewing up whatever tried to shoot it.

lilspooky
Mar 21, 2006
Interesting, something always seemed off about the Last Stand Gamers channel and I can't really stand his voice.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mbe4U-eW680

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

All the SE youtubers are painfully dorky.

Though the current XPgamers multi-person series is pretty fun in its way, if you don't find a certain degree of awkwardness offputting.

Firos
Apr 30, 2007

Hello again thread. I have recovered from my power supply dying the other night, so I may start a new survival server tonight if anyone is interested. Just add Dadtoucher on steam.

Sorus
Nov 6, 2007
caustic overtones

OwlFancier posted:

All the SE youtubers are painfully dorky.

Probably due in part to the subject matter (space, engineering) combined with recording games for youtube which is inherently dorky.

Firos posted:

Hello again thread. I have recovered from my power supply dying the other night, so I may start a new survival server tonight if anyone is interested. Just add Dadtoucher on steam.

Locally hosted or dedicated?

Firos
Apr 30, 2007

Locally, unfortunately (?).

lilspooky
Mar 21, 2006
Cargo ships are back bitches!

Firos
Apr 30, 2007

Gonna start up that new world, let's hope the bugs from the patch aren't too bad :v:

Edit:

Perfect landing :toot:

Firos fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Apr 14, 2016

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Patch time!

quote:

Summary
This week brings the cargo ships back to all worlds with planets! You can enable them again in the world options. Another major feature is the next step in our multiplayer optimization - server side ship control with client side prediction. That means if there is any spike on the server your ships will slow down, but after the spike is gone the ship will regain its original speed.
We also added the ability to re-attach piston heads back to piston bases (in the same way you can add wheels) and implemented more Programmable Block improvements.
Many thanks to all the modders and community members that are again working with us on github source code - you guys are the best modding community we could wish for! :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hkJ1fFMk2pw

Features
- server side ship control with client side prediction
- re-enabled cargo ships (community contribution by Rexxar)
- added the ability to add piston heads back to pistons, in the same way you can add wheels (community contribution by Phoenix84)
- fixed several Programmable Block issues and added a last running time indicator (community contribution by Malware)

Fixes
- fixed crash when loading game saved when in camera
- fixed crash when pasting grid that has the drills turned on
- fixed crash when executing script in PB
- fixed sound of ejecting piston still playing
- fixed incorrect cockpit selection for respawn ships
- fixed sound of explosions missing after a while
- fixed cyber hounds not barking
- fixed scripts in programmable block broke saving
- fixed welder is not getting components from cargo container
- fixed toolbar button status text missing
- fixed ammo is not falling when turret is ground down
- fixed when the player spawns in space suit, camera (spectator) is far from player
- fixed leaning animation not smooth
- fixed particle of breaking drill is played before drill is broken
- fixed armor blocks have smaller render distance than other blocks
- fixed navigation tab is overlapping
- fixed typo in cubeblocks.sbc
- fixed air vent emissivity is not correct when painted red
- fixed armor edges flip
- fixed rounded blocks do not look nice

Alsp some interior pics of my current build;

From the front of the ship facing back. This time there's an extra bit of armor on the sides of the multiple cargo bays (the original was just one big 9-container bay). There's two containers side-by-side behind where the forward staircase is (the tall structure with the pipes and blocks at the back)

There's also a central corridors down the middle of the ship instead of dividing the ship in thirds with two parallel corridors. The main body of the ship gets a nice wide one, the front end gets a narrow one due to limited space and I think it looks good as a general bowels-of-the-ship thing.

Neddy Seagoon fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Apr 15, 2016

Uncle Spriggly
Jan 29, 2009
The new guy they bring in on the videos is a goofball.

lilspooky
Mar 21, 2006
Anyone tried the Nanite Control Factory mod? Looks pretty badass and most of the Youtube vids I've seen show it to be a pretty stable and helpful setup. Plus apparently the author has fixed a lot of the bugs with it.

Gonna download it later and give it a whirl.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=655922051

Edit: Also have yet ANOTHER question. The guys who use projectors as a form of damage repair template by projecting it from the ship/station onto the ship/station itself. How do they do that? How do you setup the projector to perfectly overlay the grid it's on?

lilspooky fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Apr 15, 2016

Jigoku San
Feb 2, 2003

lilspooky posted:

Anyone tried the Nanite Control Factory mod? Looks pretty badass and most of the Youtube vids I've seen show it to be a pretty stable and helpful setup. Plus apparently the author has fixed a lot of the bugs with it.

Gonna download it later and give it a whirl.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=655922051

Edit: Also have yet ANOTHER question. The guys who use projectors as a form of damage repair template by projecting it from the ship/station onto the ship/station itself. How do they do that? How do you setup the projector to perfectly overlay the grid it's on?

I've tried the nanite thing. It's a bit slow and the range is small, so I needed several to build a ship, but it's cool watching the ship build.

You just adjust the projected blueprint so its overlapping the ship itself. It's easier if you bind all the projector adjustments to the cockpit control bar for external view and grind off an antenna or something to help see where the projection is. Make sure "Keep Projection" is toggled and turn off the projector till you need it.

Firos
Apr 30, 2007

Playing my new SE game tonight for anyone interested. Come help me get off this frozen rock.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Are... are those actual Hotfix Notes for a second week in a row? :stare:

quote:

Update 012
- fixed crash with conveyors
- fixed connectors causing ships shake violently in MP
- fixed crash when loading the world with planet
- fixed sorters are not working correctly

lilspooky posted:

Jigoku San posted:

I've tried the nanite thing. It's a bit slow and the range is small, so I needed several to build a ship, but it's cool watching the ship build.

You just adjust the projected blueprint so its overlapping the ship itself. It's easier if you bind all the projector adjustments to the cockpit control bar for external view and grind off an antenna or something to help see where the projection is. Make sure "Keep Projection" is toggled and turn off the projector till you need it.

Setting it to only show Buildable also helps once it's aligned properly for PC processing reasons. If you want to try messing with projectors, I've got a whole bunch of modular ships and vehicles you can poke at to get an idea of what to do with them. They're all now in a collection here for convenient searching too. I recommend the Kestrel or the Hummingbird Multipod.

lilspooky
Mar 21, 2006
Awesome, thank you sir!

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

lilspooky posted:

Awesome, thank you sir!

Important thing to note if you're going to make something with a self/auto-repair blueprint; make sure the version stored doesnt have the blueprint itself. It adds a much larger tax on the system when loading it into the game because it gets recursive. What I do is save a version with the projector empty, then save it again with the projector set up with the first iteration.

Also if the merge blocks on my ship's pods fall of when welded on, set the ship-side merge blocks to "Share With All".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Important thing to note if you're going to make something with a self/auto-repair blueprint; make sure the version stored doesnt have the blueprint itself. It adds a much larger tax on the system when loading it into the game because it gets recursive. What I do is save a version with the projector empty, then save it again with the projector set up with the first iteration.

Also if the merge blocks on my ship's pods fall of when welded on, set the ship-side merge blocks to "Share With All".

Now that's what I call sloppy programming!

• Locked thread