Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Awwww, I want a job in Central Asia.

Deathy was it you who posted the picture from Tajikistan a while back? That would make sense anyway.

App13 posted:

I use excel and photoshop about as much as I use ArcGIS
I've been bogged down in Excel for a long time, hadn't had Arc open for a couple weeks. I kind of think I need an X-Keys setup.

Casimir Radon fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Apr 14, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
The Gasoline And Dynamite
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

Yeah I generally play with excel a lot more than I do Arc. Once I bring my data into arc it's just running a couple of processes, putting it into a layout, and calling it good.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Also working on tables in Excel is almost always more intuitive than doing it in Arc, unless you're doing the simplest little thing with the field calculator that it's not worth exporting.

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

Since we got on the topic, I need someone to let me pick their brain on a question I've got in Arc. I have a raster layer that I want Arc to draw polylines (let's say 2000 meters) over only if it finds sufficient space to draw + a buffer space (lets say 100 meters). I'm not nearly fluent enough in Python and I'd rather not sit here manually drawing out lines.

:shrug:

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Sorry, I haven't taken our Python class yet so no idea.

Casimir Radon fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Apr 14, 2016

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

Oh well, I'll just sit here and finger gently caress some lines manually. Its not that big of a deal, just wanted to automate the process somewhat. gently caress Arc.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Also may I heartily endorse one of these. It's saved me so much time. There's a new pro model out that is supposed to be better in every way, little big more money though. This one doesn't have brightness contrast controls so poo poo can look kind of washed out with it, apparently the new one fixes that.

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit

Casimir Radon posted:

Awwww, I want a job in Central Asia.

Deathy was it you who posted the picture from Tajikistan a while back? That would make sense anyway.

This one?

Delizin
Nov 9, 2005

It may not be interracial, but it is black and white.

Whip Slagcheek posted:

Oh well, I'll just sit here and finger gently caress some lines manually. Its not that big of a deal, just wanted to automate the process somewhat. gently caress Arc.

I haven't used ArcGIS, but I do program in Python professionally. Not a Guru, but I might be able to help you out with some general Python stuff.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I think it was another one, don't remember exactly. What were you doing there?

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit

Casimir Radon posted:

I think it was another one, don't remember exactly. What were you doing there?

I was doing language study. Do you remember what the subject matter was?

Wait, I know the one. Hold on.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Deathy McDeath posted:

I was doing language study. Do you remember what the subject matter was?
Ok. Do you just learn Persian and then go try to learn the differences in Tajiki? Or are there actually learning materials?

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit

Casimir Radon posted:

Ok. Do you just learn Persian and then go try to learn the differences in Tajiki? Or are there actually learning materials?

We were there to learn Persian. There aren't many places in the world that you can go for Persian immersion since, you know, Iran isn't too fond of us. But it was a good experience.

You were thinking about that picture of the dude filling up the car's gas tank with the dude smoking next to him? That's pure Central Asia.

Genocide Tendency
Dec 24, 2009

I get mental health care from the medical equivalent of Skillcraft.

Deathy McDeath posted:

You were thinking about that picture of the dude filling up the car's gas tank with the dude smoking next to him? That's pure Central Georgia.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Deathy McDeath posted:

We were there to learn Persian. There aren't many places in the world that you can go for Persian immersion since, you know, Iran isn't too fond of us. But it was a good experience.
Afghanistan :v:

Deathy McDeath posted:

You were thinking about that picture of the dude filling up the car's gas tank with the dude smoking next to him? That's pure Central Asia.
Yeah, that's the one.

EDIT: I need to learn R. Excel graphs are really starting to piss me off.

Casimir Radon fucked around with this message at 08:26 on Apr 14, 2016

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
For graph building, Tableau is supposed to be dope as hell.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

holocaust bloopers posted:

For graph building, Tableau is supposed to be dope as hell.
I'll have to give that a try. I was up till 330 in the morning loving with stuff because I've got a poster presentation for my research project today. Excel lets you put multiple charts on the same chart area but it's completely unintuitive, and just plain messy. I got sick of screwing around with it and started pasting the graphs into Photoshop to eyeball them into place. After this little thing I don't have any deadlines on this thing until the end of May so I can get back to concentrating on the poo poo I've been supposed to be doing.

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

Can't wait to present my capstone tomorrow to a panel of my program professors :suicide:

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!
I enjoy doing far more work for this 3 credit course than for many actual 4 credit courses. :wtc:

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene
mmm April snowstorm, time to say gently caress school!!!

Xenaba
Feb 18, 2003
Pillbug

Kawasaki Nun posted:

mmm April snowstorm, time to say gently caress school!!!

You scared me, I think MA is finally past the hump with the weather finally being a consistent 60+.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

Just sent USD my transcripts. I'm also super close to getting my AA Gen Studies from Thomas Edison State University.

Stoked. All classes are signed up for, and I'm gonna be out $250 to make up what the TA can't pay.

Also, why the gently caress is it so expensive to be like "Hey, let me graduate" and they're like "give us $300 first"?

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

Soulex posted:

Just sent USD my transcripts. I'm also super close to getting my AA Gen Studies from Thomas Edison State University.

Stoked. All classes are signed up for, and I'm gonna be out $250 to make up what the TA can't pay.

Also, why the gently caress is it so expensive to be like "Hey, let me graduate" and they're like "give us $300 first"?

It's because TESU isn't really a legit school, probably. They're like a hair away from being UoP. Fortunately if you get a school to accept the transcripts then it doesn't really matter.

Real schools don't charge you to graduate, FYI. That's baked in to the cost of attendance (note that graduating and going to graduation are different things, you're on the hook for the latter)

Kiryen
Feb 25, 2015

Looks like I'm going to be starting a Master's in Computer Science in September or so.

I'm terrified. I was a terrible student in high school and college.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

Kiryen posted:

Looks like I'm going to be starting a Master's in Computer Science in September or so.

School is one of those things that gets easier the older you are, to a point.

App13
Dec 31, 2011

Kiryen posted:

You'll probably still be a shitbag, but you'll be significantly less of a shitbag than you're fellow classmates.

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

Vasudus posted:

School is one of those things that gets easier the older you are, to a point.

Can confirm, school is easy as gently caress. Except when its not and I want to kill myself. However "being an adult" goes a long way in school, especially grad school. All of my professors have been chill as poo poo with me.

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer
That's what I'm experiencing. It's like I turned on easy mode because the expectations and standards are so low for the just barely out of highschool kids attending college.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Kiryen posted:

Aren't you an AGR EN O4? Why are you getting a MS in CS?

Kiryen
Feb 25, 2015

psydude posted:

Aren't you an AGR EN O4? Why are you getting a MS in CS?

I'm not an AGR.

I figure I better use my post 9/11 GI bill; my oldest is graduating college in 2 weeks so too late to pass them to her, my next oldest will not be in college before they expire.

Also, I just regret going to psychology instead of sticking with EE for my undergrad because the Army didn't care and there were more girls in psych. I want to get a degree in something hard.

Dude above is right though, I'll still be a shitbag but less.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

Here's a dumb GI bill issue for Vasudus, etc.

This coming fall is my last semester of college. My Post 9/11 GI bill should be exhausted by the end of it, as far as I'm tracking. However, I only need 9 credits to finish. Down side is they're all hard courses (capstone, govt accounting, tax accounting), and staying at only 9 credits would mean I wouldn't get full GI Bill benefits. I'll also still be working an internship at the time.

My current options are:

A) Do the necessary school paperwork to make the internship count as 3 credits rather than getting paid, thus bumping me up to full time status. (The internship currently pays $12/hr and I'm getting about $250 every two weeks for the amount of work that I can fit around my class schedule)
B) Take some easy elective to round out 12 credits.
C) Just take the 9 credits and take the part time hit on the GI Bill.

If I only take part time GI Bill next semester, will that exhaust it completely, or will there still be some funds left in case I later want to take more classes?

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

The Rat posted:

Here's a dumb GI bill issue for Vasudus, etc.

This coming fall is my last semester of college. My Post 9/11 GI bill should be exhausted by the end of it, as far as I'm tracking. However, I only need 9 credits to finish. Down side is they're all hard courses (capstone, govt accounting, tax accounting), and staying at only 9 credits would mean I wouldn't get full GI Bill benefits. I'll also still be working an internship at the time.

My current options are:

A) Do the necessary school paperwork to make the internship count as 3 credits rather than getting paid, thus bumping me up to full time status. (The internship currently pays $12/hr and I'm getting about $250 every two weeks for the amount of work that I can fit around my class schedule)
B) Take some easy elective to round out 12 credits.
C) Just take the 9 credits and take the part time hit on the GI Bill.

If I only take part time GI Bill next semester, will that exhaust it completely, or will there still be some funds left in case I later want to take more classes?

Option B. You can't split your Post 9/11 time like you used to with MGIB, if you collect BAH it burns time at the full rate (gently caress you, 3/4 timers)

edit: if you have one day of time left it will cover a whole semester's costs

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

Oh huh, didn't realize that about the burn rate and such. Thanks! :tipshat:

Gotta start looking for easy classes now.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Always take a burner class to make full time.

jymbojones
Jul 4, 2010
I graduate in 2 weeks from X-ray school. Already got a job lined up at the local VA. Currently banging a 20 year old. Life is good. :woop:

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer
Good job dude, doing the vet thing right.

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

Mike-o posted:

Good job dude, doing the vet thing right.

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer
I think I'm about to cross the bridge. I'm meeting with my geology professor on Friday to plan out a geology career. I gotta channel my inner Randy Marsh from South Park now.

Mike-o fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Apr 19, 2016

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer
That is to say, get drunk and look at rocks while camping and pretending to be a scientist.

Also selling my soul for money so oil and mineral companies can RAPE THE EARTH.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Randy is the daddest dad who ever dadded

• Locked thread