Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

Hong XiuQuan posted:

And yet murder carries a life sentence with minimum 30 years sentence. I'm not convinced that premeditation in Israeli law is so different to malice aforethought in UK law.

What I'm saying is that as long as it cannot be demonstrated that he was not acting on a whim the prosecution will have a difficult time pushing for a murder charge, this is demonstrated in a variety of precedents. Yes had the perp been a palestinian the charges would have likely been more severe, but that's not quite as relevant. I would actually be rather shocked if Azaria actually gets convicted in a criminal trial, so let's just wait and see and get pissed off together when the time comes.

Annnnnnyway, if you hear a faint thumping sound in the distance that's the drums of war coming from the Gaza border. There was allegedly a tunnel-exit coming from Gaza found near a kibbutz near the border fence, heavy IDF demolition equipment has entered Gazan territory yesterday and an air raid siren was sounded in the vicinity, IDF officials have released statements to the Israeli media to the tune of "We do not want an escalation and we believe it's in Hamas best interests to avoid one as well", two days ago there were big headlines about IDF preparations for the next campaign, etc. And after all, it's almost been two years since Operation Gaza Bloodbath V so it seems we're just about due for another one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Valhawk
Dec 15, 2007

EXCEED CHARGE
So do you think someone at AIPAC poo poo a brick during the Democratic debate last night when Sanders talked about Israel's disproportionate response in Gaza? A ton of news outlets are running with stories today about how it represents a huge shift in the national discussion on the topic.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.
Probably. It's also a huge reminder of how much of an aberration the past few decades have been. Reagan basically flipped his poo poo on Israel after Sabra and Shatila (he even privately told the Israeli PM what they were doing was a "holocaust"), nowadays American presidents just ignore Israeli massacres.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Valhawk posted:

So do you think someone at AIPAC poo poo a brick during the Democratic debate last night when Sanders talked about Israel's disproportionate response in Gaza? A ton of news outlets are running with stories today about how it represents a huge shift in the national discussion on the topic.

They've had a bad year or three, there were a bunch of very smart Israeli strategy-types who went :stonk: when Netanyahu decided it would be a good idea to turn support for Israel into a partisan issue and now a (Jewish!) Democratic Presidential candidate is breaking the seal. :getin:

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Kajeesus posted:

Also that the neo-nazi thinks Israel has the right ideas and that this is apparently a good thing.

There's a huge debate among white supremacists since 9/11 between "Jews are the enemy" and "Jews are a useful ally against the real enemy, Arabs".

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

GreyjoyBastard posted:

They've had a bad year or three, there were a bunch of very smart Israeli strategy-types who went :stonk: when Netanyahu decided it would be a good idea to turn support for Israel into a partisan issue and now a (Jewish!) Democratic Presidential candidate is breaking the seal. :getin:
Considering Hillary wrote an op-ed saying that she wanted to maintain close ties with Israel (specifically Bibi), this is not likely to result in any real change.

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
"reagan was right and good" - xandu

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.

Avshalom posted:

"reagan was right and good" - xandu

On Israel/Palestine, he actually showed a heart at times. I don't have a problem admitting that.

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
"reagan was a baby-kissing caramel melting moment and he makes me horny" - xandu

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Valhawk posted:

Maybe to the mainstream American news, but the Israel lobby already hated Sanders - he's been pissing them off for some time now. Even before that, they weren't big fans of Obama, particularly during the last couple of years, and Israel has come up plenty of times thanks to things like the Iran deal and BDS. The only real shift in the debate thus far is that most of the usual mouthpieces in the US don't have the balls to wave him off as an anti-Semite the way they usually do when this debate happens.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

FlamingLiberal posted:

Considering Hillary wrote an op-ed saying that she wanted to maintain close ties with Israel (specifically Bibi), this is not likely to result in any real change.

I will accept baby steps. More important to me is that this is one more thing where Bernie can help nudge the party in a positive direction.

Watermelon City
May 10, 2009

Pope Guilty posted:

There's a huge debate among white supremacists since 9/11 between "Jews are the enemy" and "Jews are a useful ally against the real enemy, Arabs".
So what will it take for Israel to grudgingly regard Palestinians as allies?

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

Watermelon City posted:

Aliens coming down from space most likely

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Watermelon City posted:

"I'm not some Republic serial villain, Bibi. I did it twenty minutes ago."

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
People aren't allies just because they're buddies, they're allies because they need each other's help against a common threat.

There is no scenario in which something would emerge as a threat against which the Israeli would need help from the Palestinians. Besides, you know, what's already happening with the occupation dynamics where the Israeli are glad to receive help from some Palestinians against other Palestinians, of course.

rscott posted:

Aliens coming down from space most likely

No, not even that. In a "war of the worlds" scenario you'd look for allies who have high technology and strong firepower. Palestinians aren't that, what with being an oppressed, divided population living under occupation, so what help could they bring to the table in exchange for spending resources protecting them instead of Israel's own citizens? Wouldn't make sense.

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003

Watermelon City posted:

Israel is allied with the Palestinian Authority.

Ultramega
Jul 9, 2004

Thanks for bringing up the corrupt, bloated bureaucracy that is the Palestinian Authority. They definitely have the interests of palestinian human rights and, eventual statehood at the vanguard of all their policies. Please stop posting now, you are bad at it.

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003
You have two options as far as Palestinian governance and they're both lovely in their own ways. If Israel were to throw up their hands and say, welp, no partner, guess it's full steam ahead with settlements you'd complain too. It's either them, or nothing, although I'm sure you do prefer the latter as a decent plurality of anti-Zionists really don't seem to give a poo poo at all about Palestinian quality of life and want to do things that would kill thousands of people and destroy their economy and lead to mass human suffering like start another intifada or outright open warfare in Israel proper.

Ultramega
Jul 9, 2004

Ah, so the point emerges. The palestinians are worthy of self-determinism only as long as they vote for who we want them to.

You might also want to stop being coy about the reason why there are only "two options for palestinian governanance." You can be as invidious as you want regarding the palestinians but there are very demonstrable reasons for this, least of all being the allowance of islamic radicalism among the population, the paralysis of higher education faculties that serve palestinians, or simply the barbarity of military occupation.

Ultramega fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Apr 17, 2016

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003
Not even remotely connected to my post in any way, shape, or form. Was that non sequitur seeded by Ariel into Avshalom's cavernous vagina?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Ultramega
Jul 9, 2004

To paraphrase you, if you didn't understand my response I'm in no way beholden to further explain it.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
If you're a Palestinian you've got no option as far as Palestinian governance is concerned and not having options is lovely in every possible way.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Ultramega posted:

Thanks for bringing up the corrupt, bloated bureaucracy that is the Palestinian Authority. They definitely have the interests of palestinian human rights and, eventual statehood at the vanguard of all their policies. Please stop posting now, you are bad at it.

He was right on the mark, though. Israel allied with a group they see as less of a threat in order to present a united front against a common enemy of both themselves and that group.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
They sure don't seem very allied when negotiations roll around. Or any time they interact at all.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Volkerball posted:

They sure don't seem very allied when negotiations roll around. Or any time they interact at all.

They certainly go to some effort to make it seem that way, but the IDF collaborates very closely with the PA security forces against their commpn enemy, Hamas and other militant groups. Despite what the political echelons say about each other, the security cooperation between Israel and the PA against other Palestinian factions is quite strong.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Main Paineframe posted:

They certainly go to some effort to make it seem that way, but the IDF collaborates very closely with the PA security forces against their commpn enemy, Hamas and other militant groups. Despite what the political echelons say about each other, the security cooperation between Israel and the PA against other Palestinian factions is quite strong.

The US and Iran came to a deal based around security. That doesn't make them allies, or even on friendly terms.

treasured8elief
Jul 25, 2011

Salad Prong

Main Paineframe posted:

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I recall when the PA and Hamas tried to sign a unifying peace agreement(something I feel is necessary and good) Israel seized the PA's entire revenue stream for months and destroyed everything in an entire fourth of Gaza.

Like, rather than friends or allies against a common foe, it seems to me more like someone trying to keep a hostage cooperative by making an example of what life could be like.

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003

Volkerball posted:

The US and Iran came to a deal based around security. That doesn't make them allies, or even on friendly terms.

Does the Palestinian Authority care about anything other than their maintaining their lavish villas in Cyprus?

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

tentative8e8op posted:

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I recall when the PA and Hamas tried to sign a unifying peace agreement(something I feel is necessary and good) Israel seized the PA's entire revenue stream for months and destroyed everything in an entire fourth of Gaza.

Like, rather than friends or allies against a common foe, it seems to me more like someone trying to keep a hostage cooperative by making an example of what life could be like.

And then the PA threw Hamas under the bus in exchange for an advantageous position in the Gaza reconstruction (which they still managed to botch). It's three factions which all dislike each other, all making alliances of convenience with one another to screw over the third, based on the situation and relative power. The reconciliation deal was going terribly anyway, neither side seemed serious about actually implementing the concessions they'd promised.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Kim Jong Il posted:

Does the Palestinian Authority care about anything other than their maintaining their lavish villas in Cyprus?

So now they are Israeli puppets? Ignoring the fact that this completely undermines your point about Israel being "allied" with any Palestinian body, you're way off base. Pretty sure Israel wasn't very happy about releasing prisoners as concessions to the PA during negotiations, or the PA applying to UN charters and the ICC very publicly to stick their thumb in Israel's eye. Israel is not politically aligned with anyone who wishes to unlock the ball and chain on Palestines ankle, because at the end of the day, they are not open to giving up concessions on basic human rights that would allow Palestine to thrive as a normal nation. That's why the situation has been stagnant for so long.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Kim Jong Il posted:

yes. palestine.

Watermelon City
May 10, 2009

Kim Jong Il posted:

It's important to have a nice villa. Just ask Bibi.

Hong XiuQuan
Feb 19, 2008

"Without justice for the Palestinians there will be no peace in the Middle East."

Kim Jong Il posted:

You have two options as far as Palestinian governance and they're both lovely in their own ways. If Israel were to throw up their hands and say, welp, no partner, guess it's full steam ahead with settlements you'd complain too.

This is quite literally the stance of the Israeli government at the moment.

Ron Dermer in 2010 - Israel has no partner to peace - http://www.haaretz.com/israel-news/netanyahu-s-patience-with-abbas-has-run-out-says-wikileaks-cable-1.331680

Ya'alon in 2015 - Abbas is no partner - http://www.timesofisrael.com/yaalon-warns-hamas-not-to-escalate-terror-says-abbas-no-partner/

Netanyahu in 2015 - 'We are always willing to talk [...] we have no illusions about Abu Mazen.' http://www.theatlantic.com/international/archive/2015/11/netanyahu-abbas-handshake-climate/418092/

This is nothing new. Avi Shlaim has covered extraordinarily well Israel's cyclical approach to negotiations. Start to negotiate. Undermine partner. Declare partner is no real partner. Refuse to negotiate while pretending to negotiate until partner disappears or the matter is forced by the potential partner or a third party. You can apply this to nearly any Israeli political negotiation with a neighbouring country in the last 65 years and see it in action.

Abu Mazen will die or retire at some point and his successor will probably become more palatable for a while, more open to de facto concessions and continuing to control the populace in Israel's father. Until he (or she) gets uppity about a Palestinian state. Then negotiations will stall. And this partner will become no partner. Repeat until bantustans or ethnic cleansing.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Also, it's already full steam ahead with settlements.

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008

I'm sure they could go faster if they threw on more dogs.

The UN and ICC business is what really drove home Israeli insincerity to me. The long slow maneuvering of international diplomacy seems vastly preferable to the violence of guerilla terrorism...if your goal is to reach a resolution.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Volkerball posted:

So now they are Israeli puppets? Ignoring the fact that this completely undermines your point about Israel being "allied" with any Palestinian body, you're way off base. Pretty sure Israel wasn't very happy about releasing prisoners as concessions to the PA during negotiations, or the PA applying to UN charters and the ICC very publicly to stick their thumb in Israel's eye. Israel is not politically aligned with anyone who wishes to unlock the ball and chain on Palestines ankle, because at the end of the day, they are not open to giving up concessions on basic human rights that would allow Palestine to thrive as a normal nation. That's why the situation has been stagnant for so long.

Israel isn't politically aligned with the PA on freedom for Palestine, but they are politically aligned with the PA on keeping the peace and working together against militant groups and Fatah's rivals. It's almost as if there's a difference between "allies" and "best friends forever who agree on everything". Israel's stance on the PA is extremely clear: they will work to keep the PA in power and preserve day-to-day cooperation in the administration of the West Bank, but they will not propose any two-state solution the PA is willing to accept, and they will talk poo poo about the PA constantly while keeping the cooperation low-key for the sake of the right-wing politicians who run the government.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

So a bus went boom.
http://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-36075442

quote:

At least 16 people have been injured by an explosion on a bus in Jerusalem, Israeli medics say.

The Magen David Adom ambulance service said two casualties were taken to hospital in a serious condition from the scene on Hebron Road.

An Israeli police spokesman said it was investigating the incident, the cause of which was not immediately clear.

The bus that reportedly exploded was empty, but caused casualties on a second bus nearby, the spokesman added.

Photographs of the scene showed one bus completely engulfed in flames, while another was partially ablaze.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
According to ynet the police are saying this likely wasn't a terror attack.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Alright so new reports in, police are claiming it was a bomb attack after all.

This could turn ugly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Who bombs an empty bus though.