Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

LowellDND posted:

K, so Shadowkeeper will work with BGEE:SOD? :D Does SoD have a 'remove cap' mod? Ill be like level 12 or something when I import

i remember seeing one on the beamdog forums but i could be wrong.

shadowkeeper will work fine in sod but you'll get errors when loading saves (nothing will be deleted despite it saying so) and it will claim sod stuff doesn't exist if you don't use modmerger. modmerger makes everything work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luisfe
Aug 17, 2005

Hee-lo-ho!

Woolie Wool posted:

I would strongly suggest making a copy of a modded install somewhere else and not patching it. Just don't do it, you'll break something.

Yeah I got a gog install to have a clean one. But, I want it modded on steam because dangit, cheevos and poo poo haha. And more patches will arrive soon...

Eh seeing what breaks horribly is at least a fraction of the fun

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

LowellDND posted:

K, so Shadowkeeper will work with BGEE:SOD? :D Does SoD have a 'remove cap' mod? Ill be like level 12 or something when I import

oh and make sure you import a character file only, not from a save game. bgee likes to carry over stuff now it seems. if you export your character in tutu then import and do all the poo poo i mentioned you should be fine.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
Gonna disagree with the others - Ankheg Armor is pretty much made explicitly for Jaheira in BG1. It's the best armor for her in the game.

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
You know he's the villain, because he's got shifty eyes.
In the EE, ankheg plate is non magical, so yeah. If you're playing classic though it'll be full plate armor.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

I'm running an Archer build for CHARNAME, and the Ankheg Armor is perfect for her.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...
So I finally made it to Chapter 4, and I'm not sure what to do next.

I have to say that the vampires were a real pain to deal with. Negative Plane Protection seems like it should last a lot longer, and when you're dealing with ones who cast magic, I'm hesitant to use something like Dispel Magic, otherwise I'd remove the protection from my own party. I'm a little miffed that no one in my party seems able to learn the Restoration spell.

Equipment-wise, I picked up the Robe of Vecna and the Shield of Balduran, so I'm sure those will help. Magic-wise, I'm not so confident. Aerie knows a couple of the counter-defense spells (Spell Thrust, Secret Word, and Breach). I don't know if I should have more than that, though. Should I reload an earlier save and get something like Ruby Ray of Reversal or should I be able to progress without trouble?

Max Wilco fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Apr 15, 2016

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist
Full Plate is, if you can wear it, always better than Ankheg Plate. So Jaheira only ever really wants the Ankheg Armor to tide her over until someone drops some Full Plate.

There are a couple of NPCs that can't wear Full Plate due to low Strength and/or class restrictions, though. Faldorn, Branwen, Viconia, maybe more.

Also, strange that Archers can wear it, I remember that Minsc couldn't when I turned him into a Barbarian.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!

Suspicious posted:

In the EE, ankheg plate is non magical, so yeah. If you're playing classic though it'll be full plate armor.

I thought Jaheira couldn't wear full plate armor due to the druid half?

Head Hit Keyboard
Oct 9, 2012

It must be fate that has brought us together after all these years.
Fighter/Druids can wear whatever the gently caress and give no shits.

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist
Yeah, regular Druids like the Ankheg armor because they aren't allowed to wear anything better, but Jaheira doesn't care.

Max Wilco posted:

So I finally made it to Chapter 4, and I'm not sure what to do next.

I have to say that the vampires were a real pain to deal with. Negative Plane Protection seems like it should last a lot longer, and when you're dealing with ones who cast magic, I'm hesitant to use something like Dispel Magic, otherwise I'd remove the protection from my own party. I'm a little miffed that no one in my party seems able to learn the Restoration spell.

Equipment-wise, I picked up the Robe of Vecna and the Shield of Balduran, so I'm sure those will help. Magic-wise, I'm not so confident. Aerie knows a couple of the counter-defense spells (Spell Thrust, Secret Word, and Breach). I don't know if I should have more than that, though. Should I reload an earlier save and get something like Ruby Ray of Reversal?
Against Vampires, it's usually best to give someone some long-term/permanent protection against charm and level drain (assuming you have spells and items that can do that) and let them solo a fight. Also, Aerie should have Restoration.

And you could reload an earlier save if you aren't too far along in chapter 4, especially since I don't think there's a merchant in that chapter and it doesn't hurt to stock up on some scrolls to give to Imoen if you want to take her back in. You don't have to do it, though; if you'd lose hours of progress I wouldn't bother.

e: Ruby Ray is pretty bad, though.

Wizard Styles fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Apr 15, 2016

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

ProfessorCirno posted:

I thought Jaheira couldn't wear full plate armor due to the druid half?

Computer programming dictates stronger proficiency wins out.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Luisfe posted:

Yeah I got a gog install to have a clean one. But, I want it modded on steam because dangit, cheevos and poo poo haha. And more patches will arrive soon...

Eh seeing what breaks horribly is at least a fraction of the fun

Copying the Steam version to a different folder will still allow it to run as long as Steam is running. You'll get achievements and everything. But once you mod your copy, you're stuck with that version number unless you're ready to start over.

Luisfe
Aug 17, 2005

Hee-lo-ho!

Woolie Wool posted:

Copying the Steam version to a different folder will still allow it to run as long as Steam is running. You'll get achievements and everything. But once you mod your copy, you're stuck with that version number unless you're ready to start over.

So launching the copied folder will hook into steam, or am I misunderstanding? I know that both gog and steam versions will share the saves (and placing the steam dlc folder into gog version will activate the dlc on it ).

That could be useful, and since I already have 3 bg1 installs...

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Wizard Styles posted:

Against Vampires, it's usually best to give someone some long-term/permanent protection against charm and level drain (assuming you have spells and items that can do that) and let them solo a fight. Also, Aerie should have Restoration.

And you could reload an earlier save if you aren't too far along in chapter 4, especially since I don't think there's a merchant in that chapter and it doesn't hurt to stock up on some scrolls to give to Imoen if you want to take her back in. You don't have to do it, though; if you'd lose hours of progress I wouldn't bother.
I got a necklace that has Negative Plane Protection from the Shadow Thieves (which I gave to Keldorn), but I'm not aware of any items that offer the same protection. Keldorn also has an helmet that protect against Charm, so I guess I can make him the designated vampire killer.

I wasn't planning on recruiting Imoen back (I've got Edwin, Jan, and Aerie in terms of arcane spellcasters). However, I saved right before I started Chapter 4, and I haven't done anything except go to the tavern in Brynnlaw, so I won't lose any major progress. Would you recommend I switch someone out for Imoen? I was thinking Edwin, if only because I think I'll lose him eventually if my Reputation gets too high. If not, is there something else I should get instead? I'd like to continue with the main quest at this point, and I really don't want to go through any of the larger side-quests. I also don't have much gold at this point, so I can't afford anything real expensive.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Luisfe posted:

So launching the copied folder will hook into steam, or am I misunderstanding? I know that both gog and steam versions will share the saves (and placing the steam dlc folder into gog version will activate the dlc on it ).

That could be useful, and since I already have 3 bg1 installs...

It will indeed hook into Steam.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
So I just started BG2EE on Steam, saved my game when Imoen let me out of the cage, and I can't find my Baldur.ini file to mod for CLUA Console.

I found my BGEE folder in My Documents, but all it has is a "Save" folder and the Baldur.lua file...

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

You have to edit the LUA file now. I spent an hour or so beating my head against that problem today before realizing the patch had changed things :suicide:

Kavak fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Apr 16, 2016

Luisfe
Aug 17, 2005

Hee-lo-ho!

Woolie Wool posted:

It will indeed hook into Steam.

Thanks! I guess I will delete the GOG install and have a steam "reference" version, as well as the copied heavily modded one.

Kavak posted:

You have to edit the LUA file now. I spent an hour or so beating my head against that problem today before realizing the patch had changed things :suicide:

Ahahahaha, same in my case. I really cannot stand the walk speeds at 30fps, and I felt like a drat fool when I realized that the lua file was the old ini.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Are you supposed to have around 300,000 XP at the beginning of chapter 10 in Dragonspear or did I miss quests?

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Wizard Styles posted:

e: Ruby Ray is pretty bad, though.

It's situationally excellent against Liches that cast Spell Immunity: Abjuration.

Max Wilco posted:

I got a necklace that has Negative Plane Protection from the Shadow Thieves (which I gave to Keldorn)

Long term you want that on a caster, it's a caster's item (vocalise, +spell casting speed)

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

MrL_JaKiri posted:

It's situationally excellent against Liches that cast Spell Immunity: Abjuration.

I assume then that it's also a must-memorize for Sword Coast Stratagems wizard chess.

Is anybody working on a new Infinity Engine game using GemRB as a base? Mods are nice, but with an open source engine you can fork it and design your own game with a custom rule set and everything. Granted, then you're probably going to fall into the ninth level of amateur game development hell but I can dream.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Long term you want that on a caster, it's a caster's item (vocalise, +spell casting speed)

You mean once vampires are no longer (or less of) a threat? Because right now, the only two characters who can cast spells and survive melee in combat are Jaheira and Aerie.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Max Wilco posted:

You mean once vampires are no longer (or less of) a threat? Because right now, the only two characters who can cast spells and survive melee in combat are Jaheira and Aerie.

Don't put your casters into melee combat in general. You want it on them for the other abilities.

-1 casting time is incredible, especially with the RoV. Vocalise is more situationally useful.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Max Wilco posted:

melee in combat...Aerie.

She has like no STR, even less CON, and a multiclass that has no good armor options until the late game (archmagi, Vecna, elven chain mail), why would you do this? If you need a caster you can hit things with, hire Anomen and waste a bunch of time going between maps or resting to get and finish his quest so he gets the WIS bonus.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

You can get the Robe of Vecna right out of the gate in BG2 in the very first map in Chapter 2, that's about as early game as you get.

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005

MrL_JaKiri posted:

In the unmodded game, SI:A doesn't stop protection strippers.

Woolie Wool posted:

She has like no STR, even less CON, and a multiclass that has no good armor options until the late game (archmagi, Vecna, elven chain mail), why would you do this? If you need a caster you can hit things with, hire Anomen and waste a bunch of time going between maps or resting to get and finish his quest so he gets the WIS bonus.

Use buffs. Polymorph self: sword spider (4 attacks per round!) improved haste (8 APR!!) draw upon holy might + righteous magic (max stength, max damage on every hit, very high dex/con), etc.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

MrL_JaKiri posted:

You can get the Robe of Vecna right out of the gate in BG2 in the very first map in Chapter 2, that's about as early game as you get.

It's a huge investment unless you're willing to sacrifice nice gear for other characters or dive into Watcher's Keep early.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

There was a terrible noise.
There was a terrible silence.

Anyone here good at cooking up scripts? I have no idea where to start and want to make something for my mage/thief

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Don't put your casters into melee combat in general. You want it on them for the other abilities.

-1 casting time is incredible, especially with the RoV. Vocalise is more situationally useful.
I'm not putting any of the casters in melee combat; I'm just saying that at the moment, it's more useful to have it equipped on one of the front-line fighters (CHARNAME, Keldorn, and Jaheira) so they can avoid getting level drained. Later on, if I don't have to worry about vampires as much, I can give it to one the spellcasters (Aerie, Jan, Edwin) so they can cast spells faster and avoid Silence.

I did buy the Robe of Vecna (equipped on Aerie), and the Shield of Balduran (equipped on Keldorn). Add to that the fee to move to Chapter 3, and I've only got about 5000 gold left over.

Woolie Wool posted:

Suspicious posted:

Use buffs. Polymorph self: sword spider (4 attacks per round!) improved haste (8 APR!!) draw upon holy might + righteous magic (max stength, max damage on every hit, very high dex/con), etc.
Plus, Aerie is only party member I have who has any level of proficiency with maces, and the Mace of Disruption is useful for fighting vampires. I could reload a save and go get Anomen, but I imagine he'd be behind in levels, and I'd lose out on the arcane spells that Aerie has.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Indeed Branwen , Indeed

Games really fun now. Was very boring at the beginning. Now it's a lot of fun and I am tearing through enemies, the fights are definitely tough but not crazy.

It helps that Minsc has a two handed sword and boots of speed.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Hollismason posted:

Indeed Branwen , Indeed

Games really fun now. Was very boring at the beginning. Now it's a lot of fun and I am tearing through enemies, the fights are definitely tough but not crazy.

It helps that Minsc has a two handed sword and boots of speed.

Go to Durlag's Tower for the +3 Two Handed :unsmigghh:

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

"Your toy soldiers are not pigmented to my scrupulous standards. As a result, you are not worthy of my time. Good day sir"

Woolie Wool posted:

She can cast a few pre fight buffs then put on big armor and murder, she's the 3rd best character in the game behind Edwin and Jan. I cleaned out the vampires with SCS using keldorn, charname(fighter dualed to mage) and aerie. Keldorn with the axe at range, charname with the sun sword and flail of the ages, and aerie using the mace of disruption + buffs. I think I just cast spirit armor and then Negative plane protection on aerie then had her also cast a couple buffs on herself and it was pretty easy. Jan, Jaheria, and edwin would stand in the back and shoot down protections + a lot of insects and fire spells or acid arrow.

Washout fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Apr 16, 2016

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Max Wilco posted:

I'm not putting any of the casters in melee combat; I'm just saying that at the moment, it's more useful to have it equipped on one of the front-line fighters (CHARNAME, Keldorn, and Jaheira) so they can avoid getting level drained. Later on, if I don't have to worry about vampires as much, I can give it to one the spellcasters (Aerie, Jan, Edwin) so they can cast spells faster and avoid Silence.

I did buy the Robe of Vecna (equipped on Aerie), and the Shield of Balduran (equipped on Keldorn). Add to that the fee to move to Chapter 3, and I've only got about 5000 gold left over.

Plus, Aerie is only party member I have who has any level of proficiency with maces, and the Mace of Disruption is useful for fighting vampires. I could reload a save and go get Anomen, but I imagine he'd be behind in levels, and I'd lose out on the arcane spells that Aerie has.

Minsc starts with ++ in maces.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

LowellDND posted:

Go to Durlag's Tower for the +3 Two Handed :unsmigghh:

Spider Bane is worth it for Freedom of Movement.

Holy poo poo , I did not realize that they put like almost all of the DnD spells in the game. That's rather impressive.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Hollismason posted:

Spider Bane is worth it for Freedom of Movement.

Holy poo poo , I did not realize that they put like almost all of the DnD spells in the game. That's rather impressive.

Pickpocket the Ring of Free Action from Dushai in Ulgoth's Beard, then use the +3 Sword :D

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Woolie Wool posted:

Minsc starts with ++ in maces.

I know, but I dropped Minsc for Keldorn, because his Inquisitor abilities seemed more useful. Now I think it might have been better to bring him along.

Anyway, I've made to the Spellhold dungeon. I'm up to the point where you have to fight the increasingly stronger monsters that come from the book. I had some difficulty with the mind flayer fight. I know that Chaotic Commands will block against mind control spells, but is there a way to protect yourself from being stunned?

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
Chaotic commands protect against all psionics, including their psionic stun.

Head Hit Keyboard
Oct 9, 2012

It must be fate that has brought us together after all these years.

Hollismason posted:

Spider Bane

LowellDND posted:

Ring of Free Action

On that note, has anyone else noticed that in 2.0 you can now Haste people that have Freedom of Action up? Because I definitely just had Ajantis Hasted while he was using Spiders Bane.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

I should not have set the Banter Accelerator mod to 10 minutes- it makes Jaheira's romance even creepier. Maybe it's less so if you assume she traveled with Charname in BGI, but I ditched her and Khalid in Nashkel before I went to clear the mines. Does her romance being active disable Aerie's or something? When does she start?

I'm also starting to think I should've gotten that mod that ups Gaelen's fee* and kept my equipment in compensation, because even with "The Burning Earth" the D'Arnise Keep trolls are hammering my rear end. I miss my full plate :(.

*What does the goody two-shoes path in Alternatives charge, if anyone here's played that?