Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

In other Polish news Lech Walesa takes the initiative:

"I'll go to the barricades, I'll end PiS's rule. I won't shoot but we know methods and ways also those that use a bit of force."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
stay safe democracy ghost

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

The Czech Republic just changed it's name to Czechia for market branding purposes.

:chanpop:

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

Palpek posted:

"I'll go to the barricades, I'll end PiS's rule. I won't shoot but we know methods and ways also those that use a bit of force."

In other Polish news, Lech Walesa has mellted.

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

NAT-T Ice posted:

It's really Clayface and he's losing his ability to hold Lech's form! :tinfoil:

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

NAT-T Ice posted:

He opposes PiS so much that he became the barricade.

yogizh
Oct 12, 2015
Dumb Helicopter Joke Enthusiast

Grouchio posted:

The Czech Republic just changed it's name to Czechia for market branding purposes.

:chanpop:

Why the gently caress Czechia, I always thought they would go for Bohemia. Not that it is already used, it is also pretty smooth. Prečo bratia prečo ?!
:psyduck:

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

The BBC documentary I'm in on MH17 is out on May 3rd, on BBC Two, details here. I believe I get put against claims made by RT and Consortium News, plus others, so that should be fun.

jonnypeh
Nov 5, 2006
About time, I have been getting fed up constantly saying 'Czech Republic' this or 'Czech republic' that in a conversation.

Historically, Estonians have referred to Bohemia and Morava as 'Böömimaa' and 'Määrimaa' (where 'maa' is land). Our 'ä' sounds like 'a' in American pronunciation of "fast", and not like how it's pronounced in German. That's what I found out when I was in Germany.

But Tšehhi and Tšehhia have been used anyway.

snuggle baby luvs hugs
Aug 30, 2005
Looking forward to more people than just Sarah Palin confusing Czechia with Chechnya

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

never trust an elf posted:

Looking forward to more people than just Sarah Palin confusing Czechia with Chechnya

http://www.mzv.cz/washington/en/czech_u_s_relations/news/statement_of_the_ambassador_of_the_czech.html

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
Earlier someone posted a poll on Polish opinions of various ethnic groups. Here is one of Ukrainian opinion on countries (and one multi-country entity):

I think you can guess the colors, and the names are, top to bottom:
Poland
Belarus
EU
Georgia
Canada
Lithuania
USA
Germany
Moldova
Turkey
Russia

Wonder what they would have gotten were they to ask about the Netherlands...

TheWeepingHorse
Nov 20, 2009

Czechia and Chechnya, Slovakia and Slovenia, strolling hand-in-hand through a garden maze of potential misunderstandings...

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

TheWeepingHorse posted:

Czechia and Chechnya, Slovakia and Slovenia, strolling hand-in-hand through a garden maze of potential misunderstandings...

Thankfully the name Ruthenia is out of style...

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

Impressive result for Poland.

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

alex314 posted:

Impressive result for Poland.

We're preparing the ground for "helping" the Polish population in Western Ukraine.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

Kaczelnik would cream his pantaloons if he could be the one to "make Poland empire between two seas" again.

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

Considering how many people I know who still call the country Czechoslovakia in year of our lord 2016, this will certainly clarify what country Czechia is with everyone.

A friend on facebook tagged me to a picture that someone told him was recent and from Eastern Europe. A quick tineye search revealed the first time the picture was published was in 2009 on a Japanese website. He apologized.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

OddObserver posted:

Earlier someone posted a poll on Polish opinions of various ethnic groups. Here is one of Ukrainian opinion on countries (and one multi-country entity):

I think you can guess the colors, and the names are, top to bottom:
Poland
Belarus
EU
Georgia
Canada
Lithuania
USA
Germany
Moldova
Turkey
Russia

Wonder what they would have gotten were they to ask about the Netherlands...

Ukrainians are impressively ambivalent, is my takeaway from this.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

steinrokkan posted:

I would say: they either like you or don't care unless you invade them.

A Pale Horse
Jul 29, 2007

steinrokkan posted:

Depression does that :smith:

A Pale Horse
Jul 29, 2007

alex314 posted:

Kaczelnik would cream his pantaloons if he could be the one to "make Poland empire between two seas" again.

Lol, we have one of the most ethnically homogeneous countries in the world and we can barely hold it together, imagine what trying to rule over a deeply multi-ethnic, multi-cultural nation like Miedzymorze was supposed to be would be like. Pilsudski was a great man, but always a bit of an optimist I think.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Palpek posted:

"I won't shoot, but I'm not too old to carry a club!" :corsair:

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

A Pale Horse posted:

Lol, we have one of the most ethnically homogeneous countries in the world and we can barely hold it together, imagine what trying to rule over a deeply multi-ethnic, multi-cultural nation like Miedzymorze was supposed to be would be like. Pilsudski was a great man, but always a bit of an optimist I think.

Pilsudski also led a deeply multi ethnic, multicultural nation, so Miedzymorze was just "a little" more of the same.

gently caress I tear up everytime when I think about what we lost because of WW2

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

GreyjoyBastard posted:

"I won't shoot, but I'm not too old to carry a club!" :corsair:

First President of Ukraine, Leonid Kravchuk has offered to man a machine gun against the Russians a year or so ago. He was somewhere between 80 and 81 or so at the time ;)

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

A Pale Horse posted:

Piłsudski was Naczelnik, I'll let you guess who is called Kaczelnik :)

Rincewinds
Jul 30, 2014

MEAT IS MEAT

OddObserver posted:

First President of Ukraine, Leonid Kravchuk has offered to man a machine gun against the Russians a year or so ago. He was somewhere between 80 and 81 or so at the time ;)

Polish version of The Expendables sounds promising.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

yogizh posted:

Why the gently caress Czechia, I always thought they would go for Bohemia. Not that it is already used, it is also pretty smooth. Prečo bratia prečo ?!
:psyduck:

Yeah, but Moravia and Czech Silesia aren't part of Bohemia, so that won't work. Ruthenia is nowhere near the Czech Republic so that doesn't work either.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

steinrokkan posted:

A Pale Horse posted:

Depression does that :smith:
Notice that it's a different scale than the Polish one. The Polish one had green: sympathy then immediatelly grey: indifference while the Ukrainian has dark blue: strong sympathy and light blue: sympathy and only then grey: indifference. You can roughly add the two blues together if you want to compare it to the Polish one.

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

TheWeepingHorse posted:

Yeah I was gonna bring that up. Czech Republic had to occasionally deny being Chechnya already because Americans are stupid. Changing it to Czechia, that's just making it sound MORE like Chechnya!

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

TheWeepingHorse posted:

I've seen an eye-watering amount of programming mix ups between Austria and Australia :saddowns:

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Latvia/Lithuania too.

Just gonna cross-post these instances of Czech confusion from the maps thread

quote:

Hah apparently somebody put together a huge imgur gallery. Enjoy: http://imgur.com/a/RpAK0

mobby_6kl fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Apr 15, 2016

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I got sick of calling it "The Czech Republic" every time and just shortened it to "Czech town" or "czechland" or of course Bohemia. Just call it bohemia you guys.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Baronjutter posted:

Just call it bohemia you guys.

You are not my real dad!

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Illyria wasn't Yugoslavia's real dad either. loving morons.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

chairface posted:

Yeah I was gonna bring that up. Czech Republic had to occasionally deny being Chechnya already because Americans are stupid. Changing it to Czechia, that's just making it sound MORE like Chechnya!

Who are these Americans you're finding that actually know what Chechnya is?

Hell even after the Boston Bombings I'm not sure 50%would know.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

NAT-T Ice posted:

Who are these Americans you're finding that actually know what Chechnya is?

Hell even after the Boston Bombings I'm not sure 50%would know.
That's why they were calling for an invasion of the Czech Republic.

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

Maybe German-Americans have trouble with them?

Tschetschenien - Tschechien

Xerxes17
Feb 17, 2011

My favorite part of the letter to bellingcat from the Russians is the line of "you only use ~Ukrainian~ sources.

So what are all those RuAF VK pictures? Chopped liver? :mmmhmm:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dusty Baker 2
Jul 8, 2011

Keyboard Inghimasi

I'm glad I'm not the only one who keeps this handy :v: