Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tamayachi
Sep 25, 2007

Did you think about it?

Yes. Yes you did.
I'm already planning on a new character after finishing the pure STR Greatshield knight, I think I want to do some sort of DEX/INT dual wield spellsword.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

In an effort to figure out my multiplayer problems I restarted Steam - I still have the same lack of multiplayer, and now there's no sound either. I think my Steam account is hollowing.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Just to confirm here, no one has ever taken PVP in these games seriously right

BlackFrost
Feb 6, 2008

Have you figured it out yet?
Is there a way to get those giant rear end crabs to like, NOT just burrow and completely heal themselves? Because :argh:

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Darke GBF posted:

I like this game for the most part, but it cant be said enough how absolutely poo poo faith builds are. I'm over halfway through with only one lord throne without its offering, and even the offensive miracle from one of the lords of cinder does jack poo poo for damage with entirely too long a windup. And it's melee. What the hell were they thinking? My blessed +8 longsword with occasional rebuffing Deep Protection isn't completely ineffective, but I know I'd be doing at least 25% more damage if I had just gone standard str or dex and used the uchi or any number of other weapons. Faith scaling weapons don't seem to exist outside of infusions, either. The one native B Faith scaling weapon I've found requires 18 int and is designed to cast sorceries. I've encountered multiple weapons that literally have "holy" in the name and have no faith scaling, but a faith requirement. loving From.

I just wanted to shoot cool sunlight spears at stuff, but it seems like that's not what they wanted to have happen.

Unrelated, but man I miss the weapons from Bloodborne. Can all Souls games from here on out just use trick weapons? Shortswords and clubs are boring. Pizza cutters and falconpunch drivers for all.

Its a shame because I wanted to recreate my original noobspears DS1 character.

Although won't your weapon deal a lot more if you replace the blessed with lightning?

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

It's great that the Old Wolf bonfire is right next to the one after the second fire tower. gently caress going through spear satyrs, I'm staying in Wolfie's tower where it's safe.

Coolwhoami
Sep 13, 2007

codo27 posted:

Some people take pvp more seriously for this than almost any other game.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

BlackFrost posted:

Is there a way to get those giant rear end crabs to like, NOT just burrow and completely heal themselves? Because :argh:

Use some kind of big sword (I use the Exile Greatsword) and they'll break poise and fall down for a while after every 2-3 swings.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

BlackFrost posted:

Stun them in the nuts.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

CJacobs posted:

Huh, I didn't put two and two together about the Drang items scattered around until just now, when I had a brain fart: Drang is short for Drangleic.

:psyboom:

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

BlackFrost posted:

I think they burrow when you go somewhere they can't reach, like on land. Or maybe that's just confirmation bias.

megalodong
Mar 11, 2008

codo27 posted:

There are people who take it more seriously than competitive smash bros, with about as many retarded "rules"

Coolwhoami
Sep 13, 2007
Dark Souls 3 strategy is all about aggressivly punching things in the dick.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

megalodong posted:

There are people who take it more seriously than competitive smash bros, with about as many retarded "rules"

Well I mean its not as bad as smash bros I guess but its just mostly a laggy glitchy toss up

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

CJacobs posted:

Huh, I didn't put two and two together about the Drang items scattered around until just now, when I had a brain fart: Drang is short for Drangleic.

Another thing you can tell.

This set you could farm for in the Drangleic castle in SOTFS as well. :v:, it was a bitch to get with all those horse knights though.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

I'm not enjoying DS3 as much as I was expecting. I just finished Lothric Castle and the game kinda feels like a slog at this point. Almost every single enemy is such a pain in the rear end to deal with. They all have enormous combos that fake you out into believing they should have ended (with almost no recovery time when they do end), they all delay their swings to gently caress up your dodge timing, they all kill you in two hits, they're all insanely aggressive, and even if you stagger them it only ends up being a 0.25 second animation that doesn't even let you get in another safe swing. It's just kind of exhausting.

It's also tough enough that I feel like I am required to use a very specific subset of weapons rather than just picking whatever I think looks cool or has a good moveset. If it's slower than a longsword I dunno why you'd ever bother because half the enemies don't stagger for any meaningful amount of time even when hit by an ultra greatsword and will punish you every time you swing. I loved the Zweihander in DS1 because it was about carefully picking your moments and then delivering a massive stunlock beatdown when the opportunity presented itself. Now enemies just shrug off the hits and it barely does more damage than a broadsword.

I'm making progress well enough, but unlike previous Souls games I am not chomping at the bit to boot up the game every day, and I have little desire to go through this all over again in another playthrough.

Vargs fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Apr 24, 2016

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Kiggles posted:

Corrupted save is the alternative.

If you had any crashes, or alt+F4s that could be the culprit.

Sometimes, it just happens, because the saves are encrypted, and poo poo happens.

Only advice is to either be ready to give up your saves (it's rare, but given the amount of people, and amount of time people put into these games...), or regularly back up your save data. NOTE: If this is ANYTHING like previous games, there is basically one save for all characters, so if anything gets hosed on one character you could literally be out every single build you have. Strongly recommended that you make frequent back ups.

Absolutely none of this will help. The saves are not damaged in any way, or they wouldn't load.

From are just being absolute imbeciles again, as I predicted months ago. People are getting decked with that message for being invaded by people using CE scripts, and there are some people who are getting hit with it after just buying the game.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Otoh you could get good and you wouldn't get stun locked so much.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Coolwhoami posted:

Some people take pvp more seriously for this than almost any other game.

There's a hilarious topic on the steam forums right now where people are so mad about people summoning for the early parts of the game, that they're trying to figure out the best way to cheese the area with late game weapons and infusions like in first dark souls so no one will be able to have fun anymore online.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Vargs posted:

It's also tough enough that I feel like I am required to use a very specific subset of weapons rather than just picking whatever I think looks cool or has a good moveset. If it's slower than a longsword I dunno why you'd ever bother because half the enemies don't stagger even when hit by an ultra greatsword and will punish you every time you swing. I loved the Zweihander in DS1 because it was about carefully picking your moments and then delivering a massive stunlock beatdown when the opportunity presented itself. Now enemies just shrug off the hits and it barely does more damage than a broadsword.

This isn't really the experience I've had with a slow weapon - I used a greataxe for pretty much the whole game (Great Machete then I upgraded to the boss version of it) and it felt like it just tore through the regular enemies way too fast (and it was definitely able to stagger them)

Help Im Alive fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Apr 16, 2016

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Tallgeese posted:

Absolutely none of this will help. The saves are not damaged in any way, or they wouldn't load.

From are just being absolute imbeciles again, as I predicted months ago. People are getting decked with that message for being invaded by people using CE scripts, and there are some people who are getting hit with it after just buying the game.

Show me your proof of this.

Chrysophylax
Dec 28, 2006
._.
The funniest thing just happened. I was putting my red sign down, getting some duels, when this guy summons me and another red phantom. Nothing unusual, right? Just a setup for a fight club, or so we think.

This guy greets us, then charges into the NPCs. We stand there dumbfounded for a few seconds. Then we sat down to enjoy the show.

Spoiler for location:

I wonder if he thought any old phantom will be helpful.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

CJacobs posted:

Please don't encourage tallgeese to post

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

I've been wandering around for half an hour now, where is the 3rd lever in the cathedral? I can see where there's obviously a wall it will raise that leads to more area to explore, but I can't find it anywhere. I've murdered everything in there, including the giants and the boss, but I still can't find that damned lever.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

CJacobs posted:

I've attached CE to screw around and nothing's happened. If they aren't hitting me they are issuing false positives, especially since I haven't bothered to circumvent the anticheat in any way.

You really think that, say, rear end-Haggis did anything? I'm inclined to not think the goon saying he didn't do anything is a liar.

Tallgeese fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Apr 16, 2016

Appoda
Oct 30, 2013

After much deliberation, I have decided on the red-handled halberd as my long weapon. It has a deceptively long lunge to it, hits pretty drat hard, does more poise damage than a sword, and a pretty dang baller moveset. Stun locks the skeleton ninjas and the winter city knights, though the latter are still a huge pain because holy drat.

E: I keep seeing that lie-on-the-floor animation. Where do I find it? I wanna make snow angels.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

BobTheJanitor posted:

I've been wandering around for half an hour now, where is the 3rd lever in the cathedral? I can see where there's obviously a wall it will raise that leads to more area to explore, but I can't find it anywhere. I've murdered everything in there, including the giants and the boss, but I still can't find that damned lever.

You need to get up to the rafters and drop down to a wooden walkway. Switch is nearby.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Vargs posted:

I'm not enjoying DS3 as much as I was expecting. I just finished Lothric Castle and the game kinda feels like a slog at this point. Almost every single enemy is such a pain in the rear end to deal with. They all have enormous combos that fake you out into believing they should have ended (with almost no recovery time when they do end), they all delay their swings to gently caress up your dodge timing, they all kill you in two hits, they're all insanely aggressive, they all have infinite poise, and even if you do stagger them it only ends up being a 0.25 second animation that doesn't even let you get in another safe swing. Just about all of the bosses in DS1 and 2 are easier to take down than your average 8-foot tall knight that litters every inch of DS3.

It's like From looked at the past 2 games, tried to figure out all of the tactics that players used to actually kill things, and then gave every enemy a counter to every method without really giving you any good or satisfying alternatives. Instead they compensated by adding a lot of bonfires and giving you a poo poo ton of estus flasks that heal for a ridiculous amount of health since you are apparently expected to just be getting hit all of the time by all of this unavoidable garbage coming your way. Every battle feels frantic and sloppy and it's a far cry from what I liked about previous games where they seemed tough initially, but as you got decent at the combat you started to feel like a badass as you dodged through 95% of enemy attacks and kicked the poo poo out of them, but could still get wrecked if you slipped up.

It's also tough enough that I feel like I am required to use a very specific subset of weapons rather than just picking whatever I think looks cool or has a good moveset. If it's slower than a longsword I dunno why you'd ever bother because half the enemies don't stagger even when hit by an ultra greatsword and will punish you every time you swing. I loved the Zweihander in DS1 because it was about carefully picking your moments and then delivering a massive stunlock beatdown when the opportunity presented itself. Now enemies just shrug off the hits and it barely does more damage than a broadsword.

I'm making progress well enough, but unlike previous Souls games I am not chomping at the bit to boot up the game every day, and I have little desire to go through this all over again in another playthrough. I don't think the increased difficulty serves the game well. It just makes it exhausting to play. There are other things I don't like about DS3 but this stands out the most.

People have been raving about the Hollowslayer Greatsword and Farron Greatsword available shortly, personally I enjoyed the start but started to -really- enjoy it in the next zone which branches like crazy.
I've almost always used midspeed weapons on my chars but its definitly possible to stunlock people temporarily then roll away, and I've spent some time with the claymore and some ultra greatsword or other and its the same for them.

Find a UGS or giant cleaver/hammer you like then fire/raw enchant that sucker til midgame, enchants are very strong to start.

Winkie01
Nov 28, 2004
When is the first opportunity to respec? I wasn't paying attention and put 4 levels in STR instead of DEX :smith:

SuicideSnowman
Jul 26, 2003

Help Im Alive posted:

This isn't really the experience I've had with a slow weapon - I used a greataxe for pretty much the whole game (Great Machete then I upgrade to the boss version of it) and it felt like it just tore through the regular enemies way too fast (and it was definitely able to stagger them)

Yeah I used Butcher Knife for about 2/3s of the game and then used the Executioner's Greatsword for the last 4 to 5 bosses. I feel like the issue is the faster weapons (katanas) do way too much damage for how fast they are. If I didn't feel like using whatever weapon I like and just wanted to use "the best" weapon in the game, I'd probably two hand a katana.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Is anyone getting "invalid data detected" or whatever? I've been seeing reports of it on the forums, but the warning is pretty vague

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

8-bit Miniboss posted:

You need to get up to the rafters and drop down to a wooden walkway. Switch is nearby.

Rafters! Argh. Thanks.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Yo I'm stuck and have no idea where to go.

I need to find a key to unlock the icy town. Where?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Tallgeese posted:

I've attached CE to screw around and nothing's happened. If they aren't hitting me they are issuing false positives, especially since I haven't bothered to circumvent the anticheat in any way.

You really think that, say, rear end-Haggis did anything? I'm inclined to not think the goon saying he didn't do anything is a liar.

So, you have none. Please don't bullshit until you can back up what you're saying then. Because then you get people purporting that they were being softbanned for using Gedosato in DS2, which did not happen.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Kiggles posted:

Corrupted save is the alternative.

If you had any crashes, or alt+F4s that could be the culprit.

Sometimes, it just happens, because the saves are encrypted, and poo poo happens.

Only advice is to either be ready to give up your saves (it's rare, but given the amount of people, and amount of time people put into these games...), or regularly back up your save data. NOTE: If this is ANYTHING like previous games, there is basically one save for all characters, so if anything gets hosed on one character you could literally be out every single build you have. Strongly recommended that you make frequent back ups.

It still happens after people validate and literally delete or remove the saves and relaunch the game.

It's either something else triggering it, or it's account flagged.

Betty
Apr 14, 2008
Give me some fun Strength weapons to use. I've been using the Butchers Cleaver and a Fire Brigand Axe. I've played around a little with the Large club and Great club and they we're pretty meh... Is there a decent strength weapon with a thrust worked into its move set? Its so handy to just poke things to death sometimes. I've been trying to put as little into dex as I can.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

8-Bit Scholar posted:

Yo I'm stuck and have no idea where to go.

I need to find a key to unlock the icy town. Where?

Visit the Cathedral of the Deep. It branches from the Crystal Sage room in the Crucifixion Woods.

Coolwhoami
Sep 13, 2007

Nuebot posted:

There's a hilarious topic on the steam forums right now where people are so mad about people summoning for the early parts of the game, that they're trying to figure out the best way to cheese the area with late game weapons and infusions like in first dark souls so no one will be able to have fun anymore online.

I mean, I'm a bit annoyed with having most invasions in the lower areas be against a dude, two phantoms and a blue cop, but I also understand this is due in part to invasions prioritizing games with summoned people and that it is a lot better not to have inexperienced players (who are the ones most likely to summon that many dudes) get turbo ganked and stop wanting to play because of it (something that was really bad in the DS1 burg due to pyromancy).

e:
vvvvvvv it does, but only if you have under 30 weight (straight up) and apparently the max increase is 15% at no weight, dropping roughly .5% per unit of weight.

Coolwhoami fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Apr 16, 2016

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Sssso does Flynn's Ring just not work?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

It works, just super weak.