Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Bunch of SanDisk stuff in Gold Box today, including a 200GB microSD card and a 1TB SSD.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Can't wait for someone to accidentally format their 200gb card and lose a year's worth of photos they forgot to upload.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Wait where is the used gear resale thread? Has that thread turn into this gear chit chat thread? I am confused. :(

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

whatever7 posted:

Wait where is the used gear resale thread? Has that thread turn into this gear chit chat thread? I am confused. :(
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3759085

feigning interest
Jun 22, 2007

I just hate seeing anything go to waste.
I always scroll past it thinking it's the Pentax thread; a mod should put "Fuji" in the title so people will actually open it

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

feigning interest posted:

I always scroll past it thinking it's the Pentax thread; a mod should put "Fuji" in the title so people will actually open it

it also says "buy/sell thread"

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Pfft who reads thread titles past the colon, that's where the stupid puns go.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

feigning interest posted:

If you can't read the entire thread title odds are you're not going to read the OP of that thread, so think of it as a simple way to keep idiots like you from getting banned/probated for doing stupid poo poo.

feigning interest
Jun 22, 2007

I just hate seeing anything go to waste.
i was kidding, pentax is both cool and good. sorry if i struck a nerve

IanTheM
May 22, 2007
He came from across the Atlantic. . .

Martytoof posted:

Can't wait for someone to accidentally format their 200gb card and lose a year's worth of photos they forgot to upload.

A year's worth of photos, or only 30 mins of RAW uncompressed video.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
Looking for a telephoto lens (image stabilization needed) for my Canon 550D. Budget is $450 max. Been eyeing the EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM, though I'm wondering if there's a more affordable option. I'm wondering if the Tamron 70-300mm f/4-5.6 Di VC USD is better (it's cheaper), but I've read that its autofocus is worse.

I don't really intend to shoot sports (maybe bands/performances) at this point. Currently I have a Tamron 28-75mm (the one without VC), which I really like, though the autofocus isn't the best (I can live with it though, but I'd like to know how good the Canon counterpart is).

Lily Catts fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Mar 29, 2016

timrenzi574
Sep 11, 2001

Schneider Heim posted:

Looking for a telephoto lens (image stabilization needed) for my Canon 550D. Budget is $450 max. Been eyeing the EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM, though I'm wondering if there's a more affordable option. I'm wondering if the Tamron 70-300mm f/4-5.6 Di VC USD is better (it's cheaper), but I've read that its autofocus is worse.

I don't really intend to shoot sports (maybe bands/performances) at this point. Currently I have a Tamron 28-75mm (the one without VC), which I really like, though the autofocus isn't the best (I can live with it though, but I'd like to know how good the Canon counterpart is).

55-250 STM

Alpenglow
Mar 12, 2007

Schneider Heim posted:

I haven't ever used the Tamron, but use the Canon 70-300 and now 55-250 STM (on an EOS-M :ssh:) as a travel telephoto. You should be able to find the Canon 70-300 for like $200 used if you look around, at least on Craigslist in the US. It also makes an extremely passable macro lens if you slap a DCR-250 on it. Pretty close to 1:1 macro and you can zoom in and out while keeping a good working distance. I've never had focus accuracy problems, but it is pretty janky compared to more modern stuff that doesn't rotate the whole lens barrel.

70-300 IS + DCR-250 examples:

(Gecko was like 2" long, I'd guess this is .8 life size)

That said, I think the 55-250 STM @250mm is about equal to the 70-300 @300mm downsized- it's very good through 250 or so but somewhat soft at 300, especially wide open. It also works well with a DCR-250 but I don't think at quite as high magnification for some reason.

LooksLikeABabyRat
Jun 26, 2008

Oh dang, I'd nibble that cheese

I'm looking for a portable throw around camera so I don't have to lug my D7000 around.

Does anyone still use a Fuji x10? I found one locally on Craigslist for $200, so I think I might grab it. I know it's a little old, but is it still a pretty viable camera for street photography/general outdoor use?

EatinCake
Oct 21, 2008
About four-five years ago I did a bunch of photography. Nothing professional, but I rarely left the house without a camera and really enjoyed getting little month to month. By folks on here's recommendations I had a Tamron 17-50mm, f/2.8, & Sigma 30mm f/1.4, and they both worked perfectly for me.

Since then, the Tamron zoom is busted, and I had to sell the Sigma at a point. Now I'm finally in a position where i could get those back, but am curious if there's better options out there for around the same price. Looking online they both run just under $300 still, which is about the price range I'm looking at. Are these lens still worth it?

For what it's worth I'm rocking a 40D body, which suits my needs fine as well.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
How busted is the Tamron? Maybe send it in for repairs. They're both still good lenses though.

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

There's also the sigma 17-70 which is 2.8-4 but there's a new 'Contemporary' version.. Runs a little under 500 new but maybe cheaper for used. There's an older sigma with the same FL and aperture that's labeled DC OS. Don't know how it holds up against the tamron zoom but the new version seems to be getting good reviews.

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Are you some kind of hypnotist??
Grimey Drawer
Does Nikon still do CLAs on old AI/AI-s film lenses? Thinking about getting a couple of mine done. Any other repair shops you guys recommend?

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Has anyone used a regular metric bolt instead of the tripod screw? I'm trying to rig up some mounts with available parts and that basically means that I need to use a long bolt to screw into the tripod mount of another part. I found one with the perfect size, but the thread size/pitch is of course completely different. Still, it actually works and I can screw it in, and the connection feels decent enough. What I'm wondering though if this would stand up to any kind of movement without falling off and/or ruing the mount?

Schneider Heim posted:

With $450 you could get a used 70-200 F/4L, it's crazy amazing. No IS though. As others said though the 55-250 II or STM should be great for the money, I'm getting one myself to take on vacation.

mobby_6kl fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Apr 4, 2016

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

It's not a metric screw thread. Should be a 1/4-20. Don't force in a different size, you'll mess up the threads.

timrenzi574
Sep 11, 2001

Bubbacub posted:

It's not a metric screw thread. Should be a 1/4-20. Don't force in a different size, you'll mess up the threads.

+1 Putting non matching thread sizes together is a bad idea. Don't do it.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

BANME.sh posted:

Does Nikon still do CLAs on old AI/AI-s film lenses? Thinking about getting a couple of mine done. Any other repair shops you guys recommend?

Keh does a flat rate for CLA service. It was $125 or $135 last time I used it. I did it on an AFD lens but I'm sure it'll work for AIS. You can email their customer service and find out for certain.

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
Please do not screw mismatching threads together.

If you already have, well, gg.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Anyone know more about this / is it a fake news thing?

http://cameratimes.org/new-canon-85mm-l-lens-coming-photokina-2016/

The current 85 1.2 L II is like ten years old this year, be interesting to see if there's actually a III in the pipeline.

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer
How interested would people be in an effortpost about Soviet cameras? And is this the thread for it or should I make a new one/post it somewhere else/stop posting forever?

0toShifty
Aug 21, 2005
0 to Stiffy?

Helen Highwater posted:

How interested would people be in an effortpost about Soviet cameras? And is this the thread for it or should I make a new one/post it somewhere else/stop posting forever?

I would be quite interested. I have a ~1972 Zenit camera that i originally just got for the lens. Then I got a second one and it's in perfect working condition.

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

Wherever you post it, just please do so. I've got one contax mount Soviet RF and an m39 on the way, plus the Kiev-60. I've read a lot about the 35mm rangefinders and MF SLRs, but 35mm SLRs, folding and LF, and the history & provenance of the design/production methods of the Soviet camera industry are all things that I'm a little spotty on and I'd love to read more about.

Edit:
I'm starting to look into the somewhat complicated world of Nikon manual-focus film SLRs. There are a lot of different F-series bodies! I want a super-reliable and solid manual focus 35mm SLR to supplement my growing collection of glitchy and temperamental Eastern European cameras, and it seems like Nikon is kind of the gold standard when it comes to high-quality cameras from the MF era that aren't Leicas.

Can anyone recommend a Nikon F camera, that doesn't regularly go for more than like $120, with a lens? I know that I could go all out on something like an FM3a, but I want 'cheap' and reliable so I can spend more money on weird cameras that may or may not work.

Or maybe someone has an alternative recommendation? Like Olympus? The thing is, I want good reliability, affordability, and the ability to get really, really good lenses in the future if I want. I've got a Minolta XD-7, which is pretty solid, but the film advance hangs up sometimes, and there's a mysterious light leak or something that causes the very bottom of my film to look slightly more exposed (will be resealing the back for the 2nd time to try and fix that). I know kept condition counts for more than anything, but I want something that is least likely to develop problems over the long term, and I think that's Nikon. Will probably buy from KEH so I can be confidant that it's in good condition when I get it.

SMERSH Mouth fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Apr 16, 2016

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

Oh God, double post.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Helen Highwater posted:

Please do make your own thread, you've had some amazing finds and I wanna know more about them.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

Helen Highwater posted:

Count me as "interested".

I've also got a Kiev-60 (currently non-functional, I need to take it apart and unjam it) and I've always liked the idea of collecting a modest pile of FSU goodies.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

SMERSH Mouth posted:

Wherever you post it, just please do so. I've got one contax mount Soviet RF and an m39 on the way, plus the Kiev-60. I've read a lot about the 35mm rangefinders and MF SLRs, but 35mm SLRs, folding and LF, and the history & provenance of the design/production methods of the Soviet camera industry are all things that I'm a little spotty on and I'd love to read more about.

Edit:
I'm starting to look into the somewhat complicated world of Nikon manual-focus film SLRs. There are a lot of different F-series bodies! I want a super-reliable and solid manual focus 35mm SLR to supplement my growing collection of glitchy and temperamental Eastern European cameras, and it seems like Nikon is kind of the gold standard when it comes to high-quality cameras from the MF era that aren't Leicas.

Can anyone recommend a Nikon F camera, that doesn't regularly go for more than like $120, with a lens? I know that I could go all out on something like an FM3a, but I want 'cheap' and reliable so I can spend more money on weird cameras that may or may not work.

Or maybe someone has an alternative recommendation? Like Olympus? The thing is, I want good reliability, affordability, and the ability to get really, really good lenses in the future if I want. I've got a Minolta XD-7, which is pretty solid, but the film advance hangs up sometimes, and there's a mysterious light leak or something that causes the very bottom of my film to look slightly more exposed (will be resealing the back for the 2nd time to try and fix that). I know kept condition counts for more than anything, but I want something that is least likely to develop problems over the long term, and I think that's Nikon. Will probably buy from KEH so I can be confidant that it's in good condition when I get it.

I've been thrilled with my Olympus OM-1, over the last few years I've bought a 50mm f/1.4 for it, 28mm f/2.8, 135mm f/2.8, 180mm f/2.8, 200mm f/4 and a 300mm f/4.5, almost all by sitting and waiting on KEH to get some in EX or lower condition. There isn't a lot that can't be shot with all that.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Helen Highwater posted:

I'd love one. I own a Zorki-6, FED-2, and I love both. I also have a Zenit 12xp that doesn't work, but it looks like a loving tank on my shelf.

Shrieking Muppet
Jul 16, 2006

SMERSH Mouth posted:

I'd recommend an FM2, if you can live without aperture priority they are pretty cheap and tough as hell. The metering is the simplest one out of the manual nikons I've ever used, they also don't need batteries except for the meter. I upgraded to a F100 but still miss my FM2.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Ezekiel_980 posted:

I'd recommend an FM2, if you can live without aperture priority they are pretty cheap and tough as hell. The metering is the simplest one out of the manual nikons I've ever used, they also don't need batteries except for the meter. I upgraded to a F100 but still miss my FM2.

Seconding FM2 (or FM2n for an improved shutter mechanism), it's a very solid camera, controls and feels great.

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty
Sounds like the FM2 should be top of your list if you want a Nikon. All manual and works without a battery, though obviously not the meter. I've had one but sold it as I prefer the Olympus OM-1, which is also all manual and works without a battery. The Zuiko lenses by Olympus are great, plentiful and tiny. The needle light meter in the Olympus is much better than the LED solution that the FM2 has. I also much prefer how Olympus have their aperture dial on the front of the lenses like Leica, and the shutter speed dial where other SLRs have their aperture dial. It means you can do everything, including focussing, with your left hand.

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer
I made an effortpost which turned into a goddamn it's 11am and I haven't slept yet post. It's on Tumblr because I might want to link it in other places.

If you're interested in pics of my growing SovCam collection, I have an album for them on Flickr. It includes ancillary stuff like lightmeters and lenses.

Edit. I made a thread too.

Helen Highwater fucked around with this message at 13:15 on Apr 16, 2016

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
I have a anecdote my real life non-photography friends don't care about. I just bought the D300 I bought for £1000, but sold for £1200, from the same guy I sold it to for £200 on ebay. It only has an extra 400 shutter actuations on it. And this is how I got a D300 for free.

I still have the Tamron 17-55 f/2.8 AF that used to live on it but won't auto focus on my D5200 and everything.

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib

learnincurve posted:

I still have the Tamron 17-55 f/2.8 AF that used to live on it but won't auto focus on my D5200 and everything.

Is that an issue with the old vs new versions of that lens? I heard recently Tamron taking the lens back from someone and sending it back "fixed" so it would focus on newer bodies.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
poo poo. Did I just discover that the motor in my lens is hosed?

Edit: No, I did not because it does not have a motor, thought not although it's partially held together with duct tape so it was possible. There are three types, mine is the original Tamron SP AF 17-50 mm f/2.8 XR Di II LD Aspherical (IF) which does not autofocus on the D5XXX/D3XXX.

learnincurve fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Apr 20, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Is it bad to use a BlackRapid strap (or any tripod mount strap) on the body when using a heavy lens? The lens collar makes a lot of sense when mounting on a tripod, but attaching a strap to the lens means a lot more hassle when I want to change lenses. Is my 70-200 heavy enough to cause undue stress if it's dangling and swinging freely from the body?