Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

BOSS BATTLES DID NOTHING WRONG
Kinda wish the bridge monster were an actual boss instead of a mini-boss, just so I could actually see its health bar

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

CJacobs posted:

So, you have none. Please don't bullshit until you can back up what you're saying then. Because then you get people purporting that they were being softbanned for using Gedosato in DS2, which did not happen.

So... you're basically saying everybody who says they haven't done anything is a liar, and that I have magic powers that let me avoid detection.

I seem to remember this sort of logic coming up until Bandai Namco came out and said outright, as weak as their word is, that SweetFX et. al could do it.

(Gedosato couldn't, by the way, because you didn't drop a DLL in the directory.)

Come now. Be reasonable; there have been false positives before.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Bass Bottles posted:

Kinda wish the bridge monster were an actual boss instead of a mini-boss, just so I could actually see its health bar

Try not locking on

Locking on is useful in most fights, especially with multiple enemies or smaller enemies. But against huge enemies going unlocked is always better, the camera just freaks out.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

BillmasterCozb posted:

Sssso does Flynn's Ring just not work?

It works, it just has a fairly minor effect and works differently than it does in DS2. Apparently it works based on your actual current equip load (not percentage, I've heard) and only adds a max of like 15-20 damage.

Vargs posted:

It's also tough enough that I feel like I am required to use a very specific subset of weapons rather than just picking whatever I think looks cool or has a good moveset. If it's slower than a longsword I dunno why you'd ever bother because half the enemies don't stagger even when hit by an ultra greatsword and will punish you every time you swing. I loved the Zweihander in DS1 because it was about carefully picking your moments and then delivering a massive stunlock beatdown when the opportunity presented itself. Now enemies just shrug off the hits and it barely does more damage than a broadsword.

I'm making progress well enough, but unlike previous Souls games I am not chomping at the bit to boot up the game every day, and I have little desire to go through this all over again in another playthrough. I don't think the increased difficulty serves the game well. It just makes it exhausting to play. There are other things I don't like about DS3 but this stands out the most.

The weapon balance is a bit off right now and it looks like some upcoming patches will address it, I hope. For example, they're "adjusting" the "performance" of the Greatsword in the next patch. And you can still do good stunlock work with the really big UGS weapons, like the Cathedral Knight Greatsword or Fume Ultra Greatsword.

Straight swords really are unusually good right now, though.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Really wish there was more than one bonfire in the entire archives.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Road of Sacrifice or whatever is kind of overwhelming. Pretty open area and every bit seems to have good rewards, like the baller-rear end Fallen Knight set (is that this game's signature set ala Fluted armor and Elite Knight?), bonfires every couple of feet, and the Stray Demon for Havel's Ring, but I have no idea what I'm working towards.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Coolwhoami posted:

I mean, I'm a bit annoyed with having most invasions in the lower areas be against a dude, two phantoms and a blue cop, but I also understand this is due in part to invasions prioritizing games with summoned people and that it is a lot better not to have inexperienced players (who are the ones most likely to summon that many dudes) get turbo ganked and stop wanting to play because of it (something that was really bad in the DS1 burg due to pyromancy).

What's really funny about it is that if you just upgrade your weapon a bit, you find people who don't just travel with summons 24/7. Every summon or invasion I've been in has been a dude without phantoms looking for a fight, you just don't find them that often in the first like three or four areas of the games.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

No sir can I get the timing right on that first teleport in the Lorian fight

GelatinSkeleton
May 31, 2013

Anyone up for helping me with this motherfucker Pontiff Sulveyhn? I'm on PS4. Let me know a password or something and I'll set it up

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

GreenBuckanneer posted:

It still happens after people validate and literally delete or remove the saves and relaunch the game.

It's either something else triggering it, or it's account flagged.

Eh, if anything happens just family share. It still works. Sorry that it happened, assuming you didn't do anything you shouldn't.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I'm really intent on getting this beaten tonight but I feel it might not happen so if you are in earlier areas or whatever on PC lemme know and you can summon me

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Just reached Dragon Barracks, and I must be missing something really obvious, but how do I get past the two dragons spitting fire everywhere on the bridge?

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

Betty posted:

Give me some fun Strength weapons to use. I've been using the Butchers Cleaver and a Fire Brigand Axe. I've played around a little with the Large club and Great club and they we're pretty meh... Is there a decent strength weapon with a thrust worked into its move set? Its so handy to just poke things to death sometimes. I've been trying to put as little into dex as I can.

no thrust, but spiked mace (dropped by the fat ladies) has a really absurd reach and a great moveset + a great skill

throw a heavy gem on it and go to town with huge damage

If you NEED a thrust, I think zweihander has one on its rolling attack.

lastly, I've been using black knight greataxe since I found it. It's got the knockup of the zweihander on the R2 which super owns, and the damage on it is INSANE. does require you to add dex to equip it unfortunately.

Ormi
Feb 7, 2005

B-E-H-A-V-E
Arrest us!

Vargs posted:

I'm not enjoying DS3 as much as I was expecting. I just finished Lothric Castle and the game kinda feels like a slog at this point. Almost every single enemy is such a pain in the rear end to deal with. They all have enormous combos that fake you out into believing they should have ended (with almost no recovery time when they do end), they all delay their swings to gently caress up your dodge timing, they all kill you in two hits, they're all insanely aggressive, they all have infinite poise, and even if you do stagger them it only ends up being a 0.25 second animation that doesn't even let you get in another safe swing. Just about all of the bosses in DS1 and 2 are easier to take down than your average 8-foot tall knight that litters every inch of DS3.

In my experience most enemies actually seem to have very little poise most of the time (they get interrupted when hit before their swing completes) and you can reliably kill them by being aggressive with counterattacking. Fully stunning enemies is harder but also unnecessary, at least with lighter weapons. DS3 tests your ability to sustain measured aggression more than your ability to balance dodging and still being in range to hit.

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Calaveron posted:

Road of Sacrifice or whatever is kind of overwhelming. Pretty open area and every bit seems to have good rewards, like the baller-rear end Fallen Knight set (is that this game's signature set ala Fluted armor and Elite Knight?), bonfires every couple of feet, and the Stray Demon for Havel's Ring, but I have no idea what I'm working towards.

Same here, I think I've found every exit from that place, but it's so big and samey that I probably missed a ton. Speaking of the Stray Demon, is there anything to do up there other than kill him and clean up the crystal lizards and hollows? It feels like there should be more to that area but it kind of just ends.

Darke GBF
Dec 30, 2006

The cold never bothered me anyway~

nopantsjack posted:

Its a shame because I wanted to recreate my original noobspears DS1 character.

Although won't your weapon deal a lot more if you replace the blessed with lightning?

Does lightning scale better with faith than blessed?

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

frajaq posted:

Just reached Dragon Barracks, and I must be missing something really obvious, but how do I get past the two dragons spitting fire everywhere on the bridge?

Many arrows

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Visit the Cathedral of the Deep. It branches from the Crystal Sage room in the Crucifixion Woods.

Okay, I have run up and down this level twice now and I haven't found a Crystal Sage. Are we talking in the watery castle place with the crabs?

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

8-Bit Scholar posted:

Okay, I have run up and down this level twice now and I haven't found a Crystal Sage. Are we talking in the watery castle place with the crabs?

Yes, there's a breached wall where you can enter that leads to the Crystal Sage. If you have the Crucifixion Woods bonfire, it's nearby from there.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
Decided I wanted to get the Pike and check the moveset for PvP character making purposes. Seven laps of the tree trunk carrying assholes with lovely weapon hitboxes drat near murdering my SL85 too often later, nothing. One final eight lap and I get two from the first four targets I kill. gently caress off.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Darke GBF posted:

Does lightning scale better with faith than blessed?

I was under the impression blessed isn't really a damage buff as much as a relatively crappy support buff that kills undead. While lightning is the faith scaling damage infusion.

I haven't tried this myself though.

e: faith not dex

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

frajaq posted:

Try jumping

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

MrLonghair posted:

Decided I wanted to get the Pike and check the moveset for PvP character making purposes. Seven laps of the tree trunk carrying assholes with lovely weapon hitboxes drat near murdering my SL85 too often later, nothing. One final eight lap and I get two from the first four targets I kill. gently caress off.

Use coins. They're pretty good this time 'round.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

8-Bit Scholar posted:

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Yes, there's a breached wall where you can enter that leads to the Crystal Sage. If you have the Crucifixion Woods bonfire, it's nearby from there.

poo poo you don't even need the breached wall, that's a shortcut which is easy to miss.

There's a whole stone platform in the water. How can you miss that? Go right up on that stone platform and go in the big building and there ya go.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Zaphod42 posted:

poo poo you don't even need the breached wall, that's a shortcut which is easy to miss.

There's a whole stone platform in the water. How can you miss that? Go right up on that stone platform and go in the big building and there ya go.

I use the breached wall as a landmark because it's right next to the bonfire.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.

Tallgeese posted:

Use coins. They're pretty good this time 'round.

I forgot to mention I was at 323 itemfind all the time, every single kill. Same for my 100 kill chain on the silver knights that gave not a single ear. Those deaf-rear end motherfuckers will give 1:1 droprates next time I go there.

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

BobTheJanitor posted:

I've been wandering around for half an hour now, where is the 3rd lever in the cathedral? I can see where there's obviously a wall it will raise that leads to more area to explore, but I can't find it anywhere. I've murdered everything in there, including the giants and the boss, but I still can't find that damned lever.

Quoting myself to say that I was disappointed to find out that the area I was trying to get to was where the lever actually was. That's some :psyduck: level design. Relatively out of the way and hard to reach path leading back to where you already were. Didn't seem to be any point to it either, just some more enemies and that lever to get back across.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Jesus gently caress am I ever going to find a bonfire in the catacombs

Just give me a goddamn shortcut or something game

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
^^ There is one near the very bottom. Lots of people were putting down their signs up near the top of that zone too, you could probably summon a helper.

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Well I wasn't expecting a boss fight!. Kinda glad I'm a bit overlevelled for that one, sheeesh.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

8-Bit Scholar posted:

From the halfway fortress bonfire or w/e it was, where you met Anri and Horace, just hug the left wall basically and you'll find it.

(or from the bonfire that leads to Farron's, hug the right wall.)

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

8-Bit Scholar posted:

Yes. If you're starting from the first bonfire then head along the left wall. The bit with the crystal sage is there.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

BobTheJanitor posted:

Quoting myself to say that I was disappointed to find out that the area I was trying to get to was where the lever actually was. That's some :psyduck: level design. Relatively out of the way and hard to reach path leading back to where you already were. Didn't seem to be any point to it either, just some more enemies and that lever to get back across.

Hmmm.

Mmmmm.

Hmm.

You didn't fully explore it, did you? There's an enemy that drops the red soapstone, and a bonfire, and a covenant! If you hadn't completed the boss, it would have given the quickest and easiest boss run, as well. Not that the Deacons need it, but still.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

MrLonghair posted:

I forgot to mention I was at 323 itemfind all the time, every single kill. Same for my 100 kill chain on the silver knights that gave not a single ear. Those deaf-rear end motherfuckers will give 1:1 droprates next time I go there.

That's interesting. About 2k item find is good enough to guarantee almost everything (but the game can only drop... I want to say 5 items at once), so it's clear that item find is probably not a linear thing, where 200 means 2x rates from 100 and such.

'Course, you could just be cursed.

Tallgeese fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Apr 16, 2016

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

This game is a lot more generous with the titanite slabs. Found 3 so far, and I'm not even done yet.

the bsd boys
Aug 8, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 372 days!
so does poise just not do a god drat thing this time around or what

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Deacons of the deep owned

GelatinSkeleton
May 31, 2013

Alright, after 8000 tries pontiff douchebag is finally dead.

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

BOSS BATTLES DID NOTHING WRONG
Wooooahhhhhhh I am hella intimidated by.... everything in the Smouldering Lake. Huge turret firing huge arrows? Better run this way....... WHAT IS THAT!?!?

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

To all my heavy 2H melee guys. I always played these games that way. Havel's armor all the way. When I started playing through them all again a couple of months ago, I decided to give lighter armor a try, but kept the heavy 2H weapon. We all know by now that armor doesn't make much difference one way or another anyway, unless you need a particular resistance in an area. I always favored high poise though, but in this game so far unless something is patched I haven't really been able to see the good of it.

After about 50 tries at Lorian and Lothric I decided to change out my Alva armor, which was a nice balance of weight and poise, for Gundyr's along with the equip load ring which was heaver but offered more poise. Only gave that a couple tries, then I put on all rags, including the Masters stuff you get at the beginning. Second try I finally won, the mobility and stamina regen was all I needed. No intentions of going back at the moment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

TRON JEREMY posted:

so does poise just not do a god drat thing this time around or what

It only matters when you're mid-swing I believe

Bass Bottles posted:

Wooooahhhhhhh I am hella intimidated by.... everything in the Smouldering Lake. Huge turret firing huge arrows? Better run this way....... WHAT IS THAT!?!?

Oh man, a giant worm? If only you had some kind of giant arrow turret to shoot at it... ;)