Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MisterAlex
Dec 4, 2004

For Blood, Comic Mischief, Mature Humor, Nudity, Strong Language, Suggestive Themes, Use of Alcohol, and Intense Violence.

Online Interactions Not Rated.

Negrostrike posted:

Um what if I don't own any Nintendo consoles (and won't ever willfully own)?
Well, then good for you. Seriously.

Go wild and get the bee outfit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

Negrostrike posted:

Then you have no soul.

Jeff Goldblum
Dec 3, 2009

Hey guys, there's a new Miitomo drop and it's really fruity! :downsrim:

Bean
Sep 9, 2001
I want that fruit dress like hell but I can't work out how to get it.

Parasol Prophet
Aug 31, 2012

We Are Best Friends Now.
I just want to win coins in Miitomo Drop. That's all.

Because it's great that there's new stuff in the shops every day, but when the most you can make from the question/answer routine is 175 a day, every time I buy something I just have to hope there's nothing better the next day, because I've already chosen my single purchase for the next week or two.

For a game with such a big dress-up component, you'd think they would make it easier to actually dress up.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Parasol Prophet posted:

For a game with such a big dress-up component, you'd think they would make it easier to actually dress up.

How much easier can they make giving them your credit card information in exchange for sweet sweet coins?

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

MisterAlex posted:

Well, then good for you. Seriously.

Go wild and get the bee outfit.

Actually I went wild and got the SNES hoodie. I liked it.
I kinda wouldn't mind owning a Wii U or a 3DS, but whenever I get a console I just get bored with it. PC is more my thing.
Speaking of getting bored, I'm kinda having enough of Miitomo. No plans of putting something new/interesting on it, Nintendo? Maybe a full-fledged Tomodachi Life or something like that.

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

Negrostrike posted:

Actually I went wild and got the SNES hoodie. I liked it.
I kinda wouldn't mind owning a Wii U or a 3DS, but whenever I get a console I just get bored with it. PC is more my thing.
Speaking of getting bored, I'm kinda having enough of Miitomo. No plans of putting something new/interesting on it, Nintendo? Maybe a full-fledged Tomodachi Life or something like that.

Ok.

Parasol Prophet
Aug 31, 2012

We Are Best Friends Now.

jivjov posted:

How much easier can they make giving them your credit card information in exchange for sweet sweet coins?

Easier than even that, because if you already gave your card information to Google/Apple you don't have to type it in again!

... Or so I've heard.

A Great Big Bee!
Mar 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Negrostrike posted:

the phrasing of this implies that you think it's a possibility that someone will force you to own a nintendo console against your will

MisterAlex
Dec 4, 2004

For Blood, Comic Mischief, Mature Humor, Nudity, Strong Language, Suggestive Themes, Use of Alcohol, and Intense Violence.

Online Interactions Not Rated.

Parasol Prophet posted:

I just want to win coins in Miitomo Drop. That's all.

Because it's great that there's new stuff in the shops every day, but when the most you can make from the question/answer routine is 175 a day, every time I buy something I just have to hope there's nothing better the next day, because I've already chosen my single purchase for the next week or two.

Yeah, I feel like the candy consolation prize is pretty lame since candy is almost pointless.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

LOCUST FART HELL posted:

the phrasing of this implies that you think it's a possibility that someone will force you to own a nintendo console against your will

Have you seen the Wii U thread? Someone in there has to be the Nintendo version of Kevin Spacey in Seven.

zolthorg
May 26, 2009

jivjov posted:

im not paying two dollars for a shirt
i might pay five dollars for an entire outfit that i pick from the store. but im not willing to drop 10-15 for a few clothing pieces when i dont even have the reliability that ill be able to use the mii dressed up in those clothes on aay, the nx system menu functions/ social featurea / in games

and right now thats what you get. 100$ gets you 70k+30k bonus coins aka 100k coins
if they did a half off sale and it was 1000 coins for 50 cents id have like hundreds of clothing items instead of the pittance ive earned from daily clothes

you can get like 500 coins a day if you get a good daily bonus, theyre already giving out thw equivalent of 15$ a month of free coins. if they devalue that to 7$ theyre giving out way less for free and will see much higher whale activity

miitomo has some really cute clothes in it. i just wish there was an app to use them in that didnt have a broken friendlist AND/OR that they cost about half as much. even just making miifotos is a pretty nifty app and then sharing those externally on the net if i had more clothing pieces to work with

e:

zolthorg fucked around with this message at 06:24 on Apr 15, 2016

Agent Rush
Aug 30, 2008

You looked, Junker!

Anaxite posted:

Yup. The sequence of events goes like this:
  • All people who want to friend press the symbol.
  • Phone checks the location. If it hasn't acquired one yet, friending will fail.
  • When location has been checked, people are brought to a screen that has all the nearby Miis that pressed the symbol.
  • Select the Miis you want to friend, press OK/Done
  • When everyone's done that (it waits for both people to confirm), Miitomo will confirm with the server and add friends.

Thanks, I'll have to try this later.

Artsygrrl
Apr 24, 2007

I'm just here.

Grimey Drawer
I want to say that I added as many people as possible (going off of the list), but if there are any stragglers, please let me know. Also, at this rate I will never get that full ninja costume.

On the bright side, I'm getting the hang of the Miifoto tool. :v:

chemosh6969
Jul 3, 2004

code:
cat /dev/null > /etc/professionalism

I am in fact a massive asswagon.
Do not let me touch computer.

Wrist Watch posted:

Yeah, this. I didn't realize it until people posted about it just now but there's like actual games or coupons and other stuff you can buy with the platinum coins you get from this game.

Of course, as far as I can tell there's no way to know this unless you already knew Nintendo points were a thing before miitomo and made the connection that the coins you're earning that say "miitomo" on them are actually functionally equivalent to regular Nintendo platinum points so you knew to save them instead of spending them on miitomo stuff which is the only thing this app displays they're used for.

Duh.

https://my.nintendo.com/missions

https://my.nintendo.com/rewards

If you check the missions page, you get points for signing into the Nintendo eshop and miiverse, among other things. You might have points sitting out there to collect and not even know it.

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

Am i missing something? Looks like the gold coins are actually for games and the platinum points are for %15 off old games (which is not a lot of money). Not seeing the issue with spending your platinum on trivial Mii poo poo.

chemosh6969
Jul 3, 2004

code:

azurite posted:

Am i missing something? Looks like the gold coins are actually for games and the platinum points are for %15 off old games (which is not a lot of money). Not seeing the issue with spending your platinum on trivial Mii poo poo.

Go to the rewards site and click on any of those Mii clothing rewards and look at the cost. They're all platinum.

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

chemosh6969 posted:

https://my.nintendo.com/missions

If you check the missions page, you get points for signing into the Nintendo eshop and miiverse, among other things. You might have points sitting out there to collect and not even know it.

I probably did at some point, but it turns out points expire six months after you first earn them so my account was empty. I did get the free 50 points for the "tutorial" mission they give you, and I already have like 500 from miitomo.

So basically it looks like if you've never done anything with Nintendo points before you can do all the easy linking accounts stuff and use miitomo for a week or so and get a free virtual console game out of it. I can't imagine grinding 1000 points from scratch using just miitomo and the other two "log into this service to get points!" options though, it'd probably take a solid two months to get a single virtual console game

chemosh6969
Jul 3, 2004

code:

Wrist Watch posted:

I probably did at some point, but it turns out points expire six months after you first earn them so my account was empty. I did get the free 50 points for the "tutorial" mission they give you, and I already have like 500 from miitomo.

So basically it looks like if you've never done anything with Nintendo points before you can do all the easy linking accounts stuff and use miitomo for a week or so and get a free virtual console game out of it. I can't imagine grinding 1000 points from scratch using just miitomo and the other two "log into this service to get points!" options though, it'd probably take a solid two months to get a single virtual console game

Maybe a month and a half if you make sure to do the daily stuff. Faster if you have friends commenting and giving you hearts.

I think I'd rather save all my time and spend money on the games I could earn instead. I got my one game out of it so far. I'm happy with that.

Spellman
May 31, 2011

azurite posted:

Don't

Buying the game tickets is an especial waste, you get like 10 tickets for platinum 250 points, and you can burn through 10 tickets and not get a single item. Miitomo Drop is an exceptionally unforgiving game and I really don't think it's worth about a week+ of heavy Platinum Point grinding for 10 tries. The costumes are ok... but I really think you should be working towards the free software downloads first before you consider poo poo like themes and costumes.

WarioWare, Zelda Picross are games you can get for 1000 platinum points a piece, you don't have to spend money. And you can get Donkey Kong Country Returns for free with the gold coins, which is also an exclusive.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Wrist Watch posted:

I can't imagine grinding 1000 points from scratch using just miitomo and the other two "log into this service to get points!" options though
It's 30 for logging into eshop, miiverse, main nintendo website and my nintendo, so 120 a week for just that.

masteraero
Jun 2, 2013

Steven, are you telling LIES?

Spellman posted:

Don't

Buying the game tickets is an especial waste, you get like 10 tickets for platinum 250 points, and you can burn through 10 tickets and not get a single item. Miitomo Drop is an exceptionally unforgiving game and I really don't think it's worth about a week+ of heavy Platinum Point grinding for 10 tries. The costumes are ok... but I really think you should be working towards the free software downloads first before you consider poo poo like themes and costumes.

I'll second the fact that buying the tickets as being a waste but the costumes are not that bad an investment considering coins expire within a six month period. I already own Wario Ware Touched and didn't really like it back when it launched so I have no incentive to own it a second time, nor do I like Picross so buying Zelda Picross has no appeal for me either.

I'd rather toss a few platinum coins at the Mario costume before it expires than hold on to them in the off chance that the new games they offer are more to my liking. Besides it's only two weeks or so worth of coins. It's not like anyone is throwing away an obscene amount of coins for any of the costumes.

masteraero fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Apr 16, 2016

Slur
Mar 6, 2013

It's the Final Countdown.
15% off of games is a pitiable discount. Warioware is a game which is very easy to obtain for a low price. Zelda Picross looks is in its scope. Other free games are bought with gold coins which equate to $150-$200 games in non-backed up digital purchases...

There really is no point to My Nintendo.

Slur fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Apr 15, 2016

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

Wrist Watch posted:

Yeah, this. I didn't realize it until people posted about it just now but there's like actual games or coupons and other stuff you can buy with the platinum coins you get from this game.

Of course, as far as I can tell there's no way to know this unless you already knew Nintendo points were a thing before miitomo and made the connection that the coins you're earning that say "miitomo" on them are actually functionally equivalent to regular Nintendo platinum points so you knew to save them instead of spending them on miitomo stuff which is the only thing this app displays they're used for.

Duh.

I would literally have to own another current Nintendo product besides this game for that to benefit me, though.

That may change after or around E3, however.

What can I get points for with my computer?

Also, I figured out the music that plays when you have guests or visit people. Easygoing, Outgoing, independent and Confident all have different songs. Your subtype doesn't seem to effect the song.

Spellman
May 31, 2011

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

I would literally have to own another current Nintendo product besides this game for that to benefit me, though.

This is an obvious hypothetical that is the general point of my.nintendo, to promote their poo poo so you'll buy it. Expanding to mobile is an ad for people who forgot Nintendo was still kicking. "Oh, they're still making games for Nintendos. And I can get some free things for using their mobile apps!"

chemosh6969
Jul 3, 2004

code:

Linking accounts, if you haven't already done so, and signing into miiverse once a week. You can make a steady 30 points a week without ever using the app.

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

Looks like the rewards are all either games for a nintendo console or discounts for nintendo games, no swag shirts or bags that I can see at least. Seems like kind of an oversight, I thought most reward programs let you at least get a t shirt if you didn't scrounge enough points for their top tier prizes.

So uh, I guess the answer to your question is literally nothing, which kinda sucks. :( People with no nintendo consoles get to go hog wild and buy game tickets or mario outfits. If it's any consolation, besides various coupons the only games buyable with platinum/miitomo coins are warioware touched and zelda picross so it's not like there's a huge selection to choose from right now. The rest of the games need gold points which you only get through buying games, and there's no exchange either way between the two types.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
Buy Nintendo consoles.

AfroGunsou
Dec 8, 2009

:yeah:
1. why people tryna find a use for my nintendo without owning or caring about current nintendo consoles

2. why dont you own any current nintendo consoles

elf help book posted:

Buy Nintendo consoles.

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

I double dare you to ship a Wii U with a couple of games to where I live and force me to keep it that's right PM me for my address. :colbert:

A good poster
Jan 10, 2010

AfroGunsou posted:

1. why people tryna find a use for my nintendo without owning or caring about current nintendo consoles

No Nintendo thing has ever been available for free before.

zolthorg
May 26, 2009

Negrostrike posted:

I double dare you to ship a Wii U with a couple of games to where I live and force me to keep it that's right PM me for my address. :colbert:

like even if your a loving monster that cant love splatoon or smash4 how does someone exist that hasnt found a 3ds game to love

A good poster posted:

No Nintendo thing has ever been available for free before.

wrist straps and condoms :colbert:

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

AfroGunsou posted:

Honest answer:

Because while I do love me some Zelda it's not very cost-effective to get a console I will only play one or two games on. I still have my NES and SNES around and kicking.

On the other hand, I can play all multiplatform games reasonably well (I am not a pedant who counts peas and won't make a move without the go-ahead from Digital Foundry, and plus I don't have to play the Constantly Upgrade Your PC Game, which is more expensive than buying a console every few years no matter how hard PC gamers try to justify it) on my Xbox One, which is backwards compatible and makes me feel like I'm on Star Trek: TNG when I yell at the TV to do something and then it does it. The future is now.

I wish I had money for all consoles but I had to pick one and it's actually cool and good despite anything people might tell you. Just like Nintendo! :shobon:

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

That's a fine answer to two, but if you're choosing not to use anything else Nintendo makes or does, what rewards do you expect from them?

Unmature
May 9, 2008
Now I'm just getting all the same questions all over again. This fuckin' game.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Slur posted:

15% off of games is a pitiable discount. Warioware is a game which is very easy to obtain for a low price. Zelda Picross looks is in its scope. Other free games are bought with gold coins which equate to $150-$200 games in non-backed up digital purchases...

There really is no point to My Nintendo.

What do you mean "non-backed up"? You can freely redownload anything associated with your NNID.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

AlphaKretin posted:

That's a fine answer to two, but if you're choosing not to use anything else Nintendo makes or does, what rewards do you expect from them?

It would possibly be an incentive to get a Nintendo system? I'm always open to the possibility.

AfroGunsou
Dec 8, 2009

:yeah:
the incentive to get a nintendo system is the good video games to play on them, i think

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

AfroGunsou posted:

the incentive to get a nintendo system is the good video games to play on them, i think

The current systems need better third party support for me to buy in at this point.

• Locked thread