Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Norns posted:

You're cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer
I've seen conflicting reports about this on the internet so I wanted to ask since I thought people here might know:

Supposedly, Five Guys does not salt or pepper their burgers. Is this true? If I wanted to make a copycat style 5 Guys burger should I try that?

Also, since many stores here don't carry anything fattier than 80/20, if I grab a random piece of chuck will that probably have a little higher fat content? I don't really eat burgers that often and I'd like to get like a 75/25 kinda thing going on (I'm also not sure I believe fat is inherently bad for you), if I grab a random piece of chuck will that do it? Like, do they actually take fat out from pieces of chuck to get to 80/20?

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Stefan Prodan posted:

I've seen conflicting reports about this on the internet so I wanted to ask since I thought people here might know:

Supposedly, Five Guys does not salt or pepper their burgers. Is this true? If I wanted to make a copycat style 5 Guys burger should I try that?

Also, since many stores here don't carry anything fattier than 80/20, if I grab a random piece of chuck will that probably have a little higher fat content? I don't really eat burgers that often and I'd like to get like a 75/25 kinda thing going on (I'm also not sure I believe fat is inherently bad for you), if I grab a random piece of chuck will that do it? Like, do they actually take fat out from pieces of chuck to get to 80/20?

There's no way I'd think that 5 Guys doesn't salt their patties before slapping them on the grill. That's like the bedrock of all meat cooking ever. I'll have to go to lunch there tomorrow and watch em, for science.

For different blends of meat you could totally just get a whole chuck roast fresh ground- Any of the supermarket meat departments I've shopped at (mostly Publix and Whole Foods) have been happy to grind whatever cut I might want for burg or meatball making when I'm too lazy to do it myself. I'd suggest something like shortrib + oxtail + sirloin, or maybe brisket.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer
Yeah I mean the other thing I probably should have said is like I'm just cooking for me or sometimes me and my wife so I hardly ever even use a full pound, I generally use like half or maybe a little more to make two burgers, maybe sometimes I'll have one the next day but I don't want to buy a ton at once since I won't eat a lot of it before it goes bad

Also here's a citation for the non-salting thing:
https://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/2rtfbf/iama_manager_at_five_guys_burgers_and_fries_ask/cnjf5cj

Stefan Prodan fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Apr 14, 2016

Fenris13
Jun 6, 2003

Gwaihir posted:

There's no way I'd think that 5 Guys doesn't salt their patties before slapping them on the grill. That's like the bedrock of all meat cooking ever. I'll have to go to lunch there tomorrow and watch em, for science.

It would be like a giant pasta chain not salting their pasta cooking water, that would just be stupid... oh wait!

I would not be that surprised if this turned out to be true, and for the same reason, even if 5 guys is better than an unsalted burger should be.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Fenris13 posted:

It would be like a giant pasta chain not salting their pasta cooking water, that would just be stupid... oh wait!

I would not be that surprised if this turned out to be true, and for the same reason, even if 5 guys is better than an unsalted burger should be.

Haha does Olive Garden do that or something? I wasn't aware, that's pretty funny

Fenris13
Jun 6, 2003
Yes, they do. Apparently Salt voids the warranty on their pots and pans.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Fenris13 posted:

What the gently caress :psypop:

A burg with no salt can be passable thanks to condiments but unsalted pasta is just loving terrible no matter what you do to it.

But Not Tonight
May 22, 2006

I could show you around the sights.

Fenris13 posted:

confirmed, I worked BoH there for a lot longer than I should've and never once did we salt the pasta water

my turn in the barrel
Dec 31, 2007

Speak of the Steamed Cheeseburger Devil. This popped up from a years old ebay alert I set.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/DALECO-BURG...fgAAOSw-RRXDSCh

It's missing 3 trays but is the second one I've ever seen on ebay.

The first was this one that has been listed over and over for years.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/DALECO-BURG...WkAAOSwo0JWMTLI

It's missing all the trays and has some damage to the cabinet that will leak steam.

If anyone is interested keep in mind the first one is the smaller 12 tray home unit. That normally sells for $329. The 24 tray commercial model I picked up sells for $599.

http://www.burgrtendr.com/buy.html

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
sup dudes i totally forgot about this thread but dont worry i didnt forget about burgin

heres my actual burger from tuesday. yep yep yep.

Philip Rivers
Mar 15, 2010

The real reason you salt pasta isn't really about flavor or texture. :ssh: You're supposed to throw a dash in right when you put the pasta in the pot because the salt crystals act as points for nucleation and keep the water at a boil.

Source: my culinary teacher.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

I'm calling bullshit, salt water has a higher boiling point (if only slightly) and i imagine the starch particles would do that job just fine.

plus, the reason it stops boiling is cause the cold mass of the pasta sucks up some of the heat from the water. even if salt did make it keep bubbling, it wouldn't affect the fact that the water temp drops and you have to reheat it for a short time before it gets to boiling temp again.

in that respect it's better to add the salt first, as it will start from a higher temp, so once you dump the pasta in it'll come to rest just a bit closer to 100C.

But Not Tonight
May 22, 2006

also calling bullshit, all I've ever always been told about salting your pasta water is that it's for seasoning the pasta

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Chinatown posted:

sup dudes i totally forgot about this thread but dont worry i didnt forget about burgin

I always go for animal fries, but gently caress yeah. Miss it...

Philip Rivers
Mar 15, 2010

Saline solution has a higher boiling point than pure water but the introduction of a heterogeneous crystalline phase like salt creates boundary conditions within the water where a fluid-vapor boundary forms. This process of nucleation lowers the activation energy required for the water to boil and you see a phase partition form as a result. :science:

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

ok but

there's still the same amount of heat energy present

heat is the only thing that affects how quickly the pasta cooks, it doesn't care if the water's physically bubbling or not

i mean with a vacuum pump you can boil water at room temperature that doesn't mean it's gonna cook pasta any better

beerinator
Feb 21, 2003
Alcohol was involved. Poor burger decisions were made. I regret very little.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

hey man if you have filet mignon every night it gets boring, sometimes you gotta go to mcdonalds

in the metaphor filet mignon is fancy burgers and mcdonalds is.. mcdonalds

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

But Not Tonight posted:

also calling bullshit, all I've ever always been told about salting your pasta water is that it's for seasoning the pasta

you don't actually have to have boiling water to cook pasta either for that matter so!

But Not Tonight
May 22, 2006

ok whatever

let's not forget why we're all here:

:burger:

g0lbez
Dec 25, 2004

and then you'll beg

But Not Tonight posted:

ok whatever

looks bad

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

But Not Tonight posted:

ok whatever

I dun get it wheres the burg in there

But Not Tonight
May 22, 2006

hiding under the blanket of cheese

it was an admittedly small patty (on a large-ish bun), trying to use up some of these frozen Omaha brand burgers before I go back to make my usual smashburgs

whatever, y'all hate all y'all want, I enjoyed the poo poo out of it and wanted to make another one almost immediately

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Made a lunch burg

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Norns posted:

Made a lunch burg

note the highly visible burger patty underneath the bomb-rear end cheese layer (muenster?)

5/5, would

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

Norns posted:

Made a lunch burg

Now that's more like it

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Chinatown posted:

Something about In'n'Out fries always weirds me out, they're too white or something. I know they taste fine, just looks artificial as hell.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

Jehde posted:

Something about In'n'Out fries always weirds me out, they're too white or something. I know they taste fine, just looks artificial as hell.

their fries look artificial because you have been eating frozen blanched chemical fries (which are perfectly good) your entire life

also the sweat/sheen on the buns is the best part of that burg. their buns are like cotton candy and its insane.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Ask for them well done if you don't like the lighter fries, it's an option.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

Norns posted:

Ask for them well done if you don't like the lighter fries, it's an option.

also medium rare patties :hellyeah:

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Chinatown posted:

their fries look artificial because you have been eating frozen blanched chemical fries (which are perfectly good) your entire life

But everything is a chemical????

ogopogo
Jul 16, 2006
Remember: no matter where you go, there you are.

Jehde posted:

I worked at INO for a couple years in high school. Fry color would change, for sure. It depended on a ton of factors. Potatoes were always Kennebec's, either from Idaho or SoCal. But depending on the fryers, whether we did a water soak or not (some potatoes would have tons of starch, some wouldn't), the oil temp, etc. they would come out sometimes perfectly golden, sometimes ghostly white, sometimes really brown but still not crunchy. Usually we got the normal golden brown, but maybe once a week or so the factors would change by a little and we'd get still perfectly good fries that were ghostly looking.

But really, get them well done and get a couple extra sides of spread. The only way to do it.

There were people who ordered light fries. There was one person who like 60 second fries, which were barely more than a potato stick covered in hot oil, but he loved them...

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

ogopogo posted:

There were people who ordered light fries. There was one person who like 60 second fries, which were barely more than a potato stick covered in hot oil, but he loved them...

:psyduck:

Some people...

(The One True Fry Method of All Time is still par cook + double fry, forever and allways)

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Yeah however they do their fries at Five Guys (when they are not soggy) is the best

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

I found my kendo stick, bitch!

Lipstick Apathy

Stefan Prodan posted:

Yeah however they do their fries at Five Guys (when they are not soggy) is the best

:agreed:

I love five guys fries, I think it might be the peanut oil. I'm not sure. It's just an excellent flavour.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Extra crispy Cajun fries are the best thing five guys serves.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

Watching the wife play soccer, couldn't not get a burg.

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

I found my kendo stick, bitch!

Lipstick Apathy
When you're lazy and just want a burg. Any ol' burg.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

Jesus you mauled that bag

• Locked thread