Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The MSJ
May 17, 2010

In more positive casting news, Laura Harrier (One Live To Live) and Toni Revolori (The Grand Budapest Hotel) have been cast as Spider-Man's schoolmates for Homecoming.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

Renoistic posted:

Topical crosspost from the GiTS thread.

I adore this. Asian without Asianness.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

So obviously still terrible and offensive but my theory is it might have been a request in order to better sell movies in foreign markets? I can't otherwise see any reason for ever thinking about this, but then again people are awful so

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

The MSJ posted:

Speaking of race lifting, Tessa Thompson could be playing Valkyrie in Thor 3.

This is dope.

The MSJ posted:

In more positive casting news, Laura Harrier (One Live To Live) and Toni Revolori (The Grand Budapest Hotel) have been cast as Spider-Man's schoolmates for Homecoming.

This is dope. Also, Toni Revolori is in Dope.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Guy A. Person posted:

So obviously still terrible and offensive but my theory is it might have been a request in order to better sell movies in foreign markets? I can't otherwise see any reason for ever thinking about this, but then again people are awful so

I want to think so, but it just doesn't make any drat sense.

The only thing that makes sense to me is that some studio executive had overheard their kid talking about white washing and wanted to try and fix the problem. So they went and spent a few million dollars to see if their millions of dollars white lady could be made to look Asian. And then accounting got wind of it and pointed out that they could have gotten Olivia Munn with a nudity clause for way less.

Crisco Kid
Jan 14, 2008

Where does the wind come from that blows upon your face, that fans the pages of your book?
We're a quarter into 2016, and there's already a lamentable amount of lovely whitewashing going on. Gods of Egypt, Ghost in the Shell, then Marvel with three major properties in promotion that lean HEAVILY on Asian culture but are suspiciously free of actual Asians as characters. Iron Fist, the ninja-tastic Daredevil, and Doctor Strange.

I love that Chiwetel Ejiofor finally got snatched up by the MCU, but it's a monkey's paw situation that he's been regulated to a side-antagonist in Doctor Strange. Yeah, he's not white, but at the end of the day you've still got a scene with a bunch of actors running down a NY street dressed in psuedo-Asian garb, practicing pseudo-Asian magic and martial arts, and ain't a drat one of them Asian. And they learned all this poo poo from a white woman. In Asia. I LOVE Tilda Swinton, and I think she should absolutely be in this and/or any Marvel movie, but you know who else could have been the Wise Master? loving martial arts living legend Michelle Yeoh. Or even Dichen Lachman, who got cast as Skye's mom or whatever, but who is actually Tibetian/Nepalese, which would be a great tribute to the character's origins.

Only casting Asians in stereotypical martial arts roles does suck, but copping the "cool" aspects of their culture, aesthetic, and history, then erasing them from the screen sucks even worse.

Mazzagatti2Hotty
Jan 23, 2012

JON JONES APOLOGIST #3

Crisco Kid posted:

We're a quarter into 2016, and there's already a lamentable amount of lovely whitewashing going on. Gods of Egypt, Ghost in the Shell, then Marvel with three major properties in promotion that lean HEAVILY on Asian culture but are suspiciously free of actual Asians as characters. Iron Fist, the ninja-tastic Daredevil, and Doctor Strange.

Not counting Madame Gao and Nobu? I do agree with the rest of your post though, Iron Fist is especially egregious.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Uh we have no idea what if any Asians will be in Iron Fist. Pretty much nothing about the show except the main actor that was cast is known.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

Crisco Kid posted:

I love that Chiwetel Ejiofor finally got snatched up by the MCU, but it's a monkey's paw situation that he's been regulated to a side-antagonist in Doctor Strange. Yeah, he's not white, but at the end of the day you've still got a scene with a bunch of actors running down a NY street dressed in psuedo-Asian garb, practicing pseudo-Asian magic and martial arts, and ain't a drat one of them Asian. And they learned all this poo poo from a white woman. In Asia. I LOVE Tilda Swinton, and I think she should absolutely be in this and/or any Marvel movie, but you know who else could have been the Wise Master? loving martial arts living legend Michelle Yeoh. Or even Dichen Lachman, who got cast as Skye's mom or whatever, but who is actually Tibetian/Nepalese, which would be a great tribute to the character's origins.

Only casting Asians in stereotypical martial arts roles does suck, but copping the "cool" aspects of their culture, aesthetic, and history, then erasing them from the screen sucks even worse.

Michelle Yeoh and Dichen Lachman don't have the ethereal qualities that Tilda Swinton and the Ancient One the production wrote and casted her for have.

Equeen
Oct 29, 2011

Pole dance~

Whizbang posted:

Michelle Yeoh and Dichen Lachman don't have the ethereal qualities that Tilda Swinton and the Ancient One the production wrote and casted her for have.

White privilege?

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

Equeen posted:

White privilege?

No, dumbass. If they could find a Bowie-esque Asian actress then they should've cast them, but Michelle Yeoh and a D-tier Whedon stable like Dichen Lachman aren't it.

double negative
Jul 7, 2003

greatn posted:

Uh we have no idea what if any Asians will be in Iron Fist. Pretty much nothing about the show except the main actor that was cast is known.

They've already cast a (half) Asian woman, Jessica Henwick, as Colleen Wing.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Crisco Kid posted:

Gods of Egypt, Ghost in the Shell, then Marvel with three major properties in promotion that lean HEAVILY on Asian culture but are suspiciously free of actual Asians as characters. Iron Fist, the ninja-tastic Daredevil, and Doctor Strange.

Theres Asians in all of those

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Judging by people reactions to Olivia Munn and Chloe Bennett being cast as Asian characters, half Asians just don't count as Asian.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Okay be fair here

Olivia Munn gets poo poo from nerds because nerds just like to poo poo on Olivia Munn

Like, that goes back to her G4 days. That weird nerd hate is deep and entrenched.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

greatn posted:

Judging by people reactions to Olivia Munn and Chloe Bennett being cast as Asian characters, half Asians just don't count as Asian.

Chloe Bennett gets poo poo because she was cast for her looks and not her meager to non-existent acting skills.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

She's awesome and (not an unheard of opinion) the MVP of The Newsroom.

double negative
Jul 7, 2003

greatn posted:

We shouldn't pretend to be mad stupid just because other people are

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

CelticPredator posted:

She's awesome and (not an unheard of opinion) the MVP of The Newsroom.
The captain of a sinking ship isn't really anything to be proud of.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Unpopular opinion, I liked all of that silly yelly show. I like shows about people doing things and being all snappy.

Crisco Kid
Jan 14, 2008

Where does the wind come from that blows upon your face, that fans the pages of your book?

Mazzagatti2Hotty posted:

Not counting Madame Gao and Nobu? I do agree with the rest of your post though, Iron Fist is especially egregious.
Except even that is awkward because Nobu is basically a non-character, then dies, and Madame Gao is speaking Mandarin... in what is obviously not her native dialect. SIMPLE TASK. You can literally, in real life, find any spoken language in New York if you give a drat. Much of what makes Daredevil so exceptional is that it's obviously shot in real NY neighborhoods, but they couldn't find a Mandarin speaker? So much of it could have been way better than it is.

Whizbang posted:

Bitch, please. I admit I love Swinton, but that weaksause is so weak. Yeoh is a legend who comports herself like a Baroness and a powerhouse, and is an actual martial arts master. Lachman looks like a loving ethereal elf. Get out of here with that nonsense.

Crisco Kid fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Apr 16, 2016

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

The piss jar is a metaphor for this thread.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Crisco Kid posted:

Madame Gao is speaking Mandarin... in what is obviously not her native dialect. SIMPLE TASK. You can literally, in real life, find any spoken language in New York if you give a drat. Much of what makes Daredevil so exceptional is that it's obviously shot in real NY neighborhoods, but they couldn't find a Mandarin speaker?

Gao's Mandarin was fine - better than American productions usually feature. Yes, she has an accent and it may not be her first language (I'd wager that was Cantonese), but you know who else doesn't speak Mandarin either with a proper Beijing accent or as a first language? The overwhelming majority of Chinese citizens.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Part of Iron Fist's thing is that he's a rich white kid who hangs out with lower class and minority characters and learns from them.

Me, I'm hoping they get an asian actor to play Fu Manchu.

Crisco Kid
Jan 14, 2008

TetsuoTW posted:

Gao's Mandarin was fine - better than American productions usually feature. Yes, she has an accent and it may not be her first language (I'd wager that was Cantonese), but you know who else doesn't speak Mandarin either with a proper Beijing accent or as a first language? The overwhelming majority of Chinese citizens.

Honestly, her accent is the least of this industry's problems. It's amazing she even exists in her minor role, despite that it could have served more and better.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Crisco Kid posted:

Except even that is awkward because Nobu is basically a non-character, then dies, and Madame Gao is speaking Mandarin... in what is obviously not her native dialect. SIMPLE TASK. You can literally, in real life, find any spoken language in New York if you give a drat. Much of what makes Daredevil so exceptional is that it's obviously shot in real NY neighborhoods, but they couldn't find a Mandarin speaker? So much of it could have been way better than it is.

Given that the character isn't even from China, I'm not sure why not being a native Mandarin speaker makes a difference. Hell, if Arnold can always just be some guy from totally America, I don't see why anyone needs to speak perfect diction foreign languages.

Mazzagatti2Hotty
Jan 23, 2012

JON JONES APOLOGIST #3
If Fin Fang Foom is not played by an actor who is a natural born Asian and biologically is a dragon then Marvel headquarters should be burned to the ground.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Mazzagatti2Hotty posted:

If Fin Fang Foom is not played by an actor who is a natural born Asian and biologically is a dragon then Marvel headquarters should be burned to the ground.

I don't think you should be shaming Asian otherkin who just happen to have not been born biologically dragon.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Mazzagatti2Hotty posted:

Fin is an alien from another planet. Please stop this ET erasure.

Mazzagatti2Hotty
Jan 23, 2012

JON JONES APOLOGIST #3
Oh poo poo you guys are right, I apologize to all people who are alien dragons, in body or in spirit. I swear my shameful words came about from ignorance, not hate.

Crisco Kid
Jan 14, 2008

Gyges posted:

Given that the character isn't even from China, I'm not sure why not being a native Mandarin speaker makes a difference. Hell, if Arnold can always just be some guy from totally America, I don't see why anyone needs to speak perfect diction foreign languages.

My real issue is with historical, lazy appropriation and how it could easily be avoided without demeaning our fellow citizens. Drilling into semantics, even playfully, is avoiding the problem :/

Crisco Kid fucked around with this message at 08:12 on Apr 16, 2016

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

*wearily* uh huh

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

TetsuoTW posted:

poo poo dude, besides party tv who considers fucken Beijingr a proper accent. It's like if instead of bland, easily parseable midwestern US tv had chosen to use New Yorkers who say "youse" for broadcasts.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

DeimosRising posted:

poo poo dude, besides party tv who considers fucken Beijingr a proper accent. It's like if instead of bland, easily parseable midwestern US tv had chosen to use New Yorkers who say "youse" for broadcasts.
I mean technically it is the "Queen's English" of Mandarin. I agree, it's loving awful and I'm much more personally in favor of a more Southern-accented Mandarin.

Regardless, it could and definitely has been worse:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3j3CVCOmekY

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

TetsuoTW posted:

I mean technically it is the "Queen's English" of Mandarin. I agree, it's loving awful and I'm much more personally in favor of a more Southern-accented Mandarin.
I'm from Hunan and my Chinese-speaking colleagues say my pronunciation sounds "gay".

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Josh Lyman posted:

I'm from Hunan and my Chinese-speaking colleagues say my pronunciation sounds "gay".

What do you speak natively, Xiang? Ironic given it was Mao's original language IIRC. I hear the gay thing about Taiwanese accents a lot, too.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

DeimosRising posted:

What do you speak natively, Xiang? Ironic given it was Mao's original language IIRC. I hear the gay thing about Taiwanese accents a lot, too.
No, I only speak Mandarin.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

e: actually nm

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
they blackwashed heimdall

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeimosRising