Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Eej posted:

I gave QQ a couple tries and I couldn't get a handle on playing a Horde surrounded by territory you'll actually want to keep. So I went back to Tabarestan after I found out that you can carve out huge swaths of Timurid territory by camping a war goal and you can outfight a Horde army double your size in defensive battles if you're sitting in the mountains.

Now all I gotta do is declare war on them again and let the Persian separatists do everything for me...

Tabarestan is one of my favourite starts in the whole game, it's really fun how you just kind of explode from being a little 2 province minor into a major power. I haven't tried them for a few patches; I would imagine that the changes to culture and the empire bonus really helps them out, too, though losing 5% morale from the Shia nerf sucks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

RabidWeasel posted:

Tabarestan is one of my favourite starts in the whole game, it's really fun how you just kind of explode from being a little 2 province minor into a major power. I haven't tried them for a few patches; I would imagine that the changes to culture and the empire bonus really helps them out, too, though losing 5% morale from the Shia nerf sucks.

I totally agree, getting the Persia achievements via Tabarestan is a ton of fun.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

Koramei posted:

Cheaper advisers sounds great, as long as it's not a trivial reduction. Spy actions were always way too situational (i.e. worthless until the late game when you pick idea groups for the hell of it) to warrant picking the group, whereas what essentially becomes a monarch point bonus could be real good.

study technology is secretly really good now, imo

e: for non-european countries

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Star posted:

https://twitter.com/producerjohan/status/720964505929412608
I guess we'll see. They're better now than before but I think they can become even more useful, instead of a fun addition.
This seems really freaking cool. Although things might get very annoying if everyone gets access to increasing liberty desire.

PleasingFungus posted:

study technology is secretly really good now, imo

e: for non-european countries
Unless the rng monarchy REALLY screws you over. :v:

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Finally a compelling reason to keep up on diplo tech beyond keeping vassals in line :v:

I'm a bad and the decreased liberty desire bits in Espionage might actually be helpful, too.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

RabidWeasel posted:

Yeah it's insane, I just grabbed all my cores in about 30 years and it cost me like 30 warscore because I accidentally occupied cored provinces.

The only thing I've noticed in my This Is Persia attempts so far is that you've gotta be really fast early on forming Persia yourself because of how fast Hordes (specifically Timurids) disintegrate. Persia can easily pop out fully formed like Athena out of the Timurid forehead with every single core annexed which is a huge pain in the rear end.

The Empire upgrade event that gives you the Iranian cultural union takes a while to fire though.

Eej fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Apr 15, 2016

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Star posted:

https://twitter.com/producerjohan/status/720964505929412608
I guess we'll see. They're better now than before but I think they can become even more useful, instead of a fun addition.

I thought this was a dumb idea, then I realised that he said diplo instead of admin and now I think it's a v good idea. I'm fine with Espionage becoming just another "make your economy better in various ways" idea tree.

Eej posted:

The Empire upgrade event that gives you the Iranian cultural union takes a while to fire though.

It takes like 10-15 years but you have to be at +1 stab, at peace and have good religious unity so in practical terms yeah it might take a while.

RabidWeasel fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Apr 15, 2016

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Will there be a new advisor to reduce corruption too? I've no idea what to call it however. Administrator? Informant? Sherif?

Commander of the city watch? :v:

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
I really want to do a Prussia run. I tried T.O., which seemed like it would be the easiest, except Poland decided they'd just kill me off early on. :(

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Colonial Air Force posted:

I really want to do a Prussia run. I tried T.O., which seemed like it would be the easiest, except Poland decided they'd just kill me off early on. :(

Join the hre, ally Bohemia, Austris and maybe Muscovy. Eat LO and Pomerania and try to get to Novgorod before Muscovy takes them all.

Soon you will dominate the world. Joining the HRE is so very helpful.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Is there a trick to joining the HRE?

E: NM, I see how.

3 Action Economist fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Apr 16, 2016

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Any tips on big wars? Im having my first one helping out Ragusa take Croatia and all of Hungary and Austria are just pouring troops into Western Anatolia. I can't keep up.

I won't lose anything from this war but I'd like some tips on what to do before hand. Also a proper army ratio.

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

A raccoon is not finished when he is defeated. He is finished when he quits.
I finished my First Come, First Serve and For Odin! run :toot:
I felt like it took long as hell too

For Odin? :confuoot:

On the first week of the 18th century after four centuries America was finally great. Hopefully it'll remain great for the next four centuries and never forget its roots

The State of the World: First with Europe

What is amusing to me is that Muscovy/Russia does not exist in any capacity anymore in this timeline. I looked at the timeline and it seems like Muscovy formed Russia and was doing the usual Russia stuff of getting big but then it looked in the 16th century before I arrived to europe they got their asses handed to them by the hordes who also forced them to release Novgorod. Then eastern europe politiks featuring Poland and Lithuania, who btw were both enemies with each other by the time I arrived to Europe in the 16th century, got Sweden and Novgorod wrecked in the crossfire. The Livonian Order then played the role of a looter in a riot and absorbed the remainder of the weaken Sweden and Novgorod in separate solo wars at the end of the 17th century.

Poland also used to be much bigger than what you see here but once Lithuania turned revolutionary-y it began to BEAT THE LIVING CRAP out of Poland and everyone else piled on them to make them release pretty much everything. Poland actually used to own all of turkey and the ottomans were exiled to egypt for like almost two centuries. You can see from my mouseover some of the remnants of the polish holdovers in turkey. Folks who quit playing before the 1700s really miss out on the crazy territorial exchanges that can happen near the end.

The State of the World: Asia

As far as I remember Ming exploded into like 7 different large chinese states and China was a mess for a long, long time. Also half a screen to the right is where tourists can go to see the capital of the "Great" Britain.

The diplomacy map

Spain, formerly known as Castile, and Portugal were my first european allies because France was a jerk and a bully who declared war on me. After I own a part of Ireland I became allies with Austria. At some point Portugal became the defender of faith and got in the way of my god given right to conquer Norway. Then once I expanded into South Africa, Spain decided we're enemies for life. In the end Portugal helped me out in a grand total of zero wars and Spain helped me once in that defensive war against France.

After Spain broke up with me I allied with Lithuania. Austria helped me in every single european war except the ones against england/GB so they were super awesome. Lithuania only helped me in two wars: the decisive war against France that saw me take all of her american holdings in Alaska, California and North Carolina and also the 8 provinces including london they had in england; and the decisive ten year war against Spain and Portugal that saw them lose all of their holdings in south america. The help didn't come cheap either with Lithuania since they were in so much debt that I had to give them 3k ducats to join me against France and then 5k ducats to join me against Spain. In fact it was during that ten year war against Spain that Lithuania dropped out of the war and shortly became revolutionary. Finally in the year 1818 Lithuania decided to start a revolutionary war against Persia who was allied to Austria so I had to drop the alliance with them when they asked me to come help.

These are the leading powers of the world heading into Victoria III

Notice the little brown strain at the bottom? Why that's Tunis! For whatever reason Spain decided to leave Tunis with 3 provinces and then for whatever weird rear end reason the rest of europe also left them alone for the last three centuries. Just look how much raiding has come out of these three provinces:

That's alot of goddamn slaves taken

random bonus shitshot

It must be humiliating to be French, not only did you lose Paris to the Americans but then they come back and told you to give them your lunch money or they'll dump you into the toilet again and you know what the French did? They give their lunch money.

Vanilla Mint Ice fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Apr 16, 2016

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Colonial Air Force posted:

Play as Brandenburg, ally Poland (plus Austria or Bohemia, and some minors who hate Pomerania), declare war promising territory, take Neumark, give them Chelmno, and make the peace deal as expensive as possible so that the truce is the full 15 years. Give the LOs land to Lithuania if needed. Do as little as possible yourself.

During the truce, take the Pomeranian Succession mission, and take those two provinces. If the Emperor asks for one back, that's fine. Fabricate a claim on the TO.

After the TO truce expires, use Poland again to grab Konigsberg and the rest of Ducal Prussia. If you can get Danzig, you might as well. You can spread this over a few wars if you need to, just make sure you have your troops in position when you attack, so you can lead the sieges you need. Always declare immediately after the truce expires, so that Poland never gets a chance to lead the war. Be very mindful of what Poland's current mission is. Once you take a province Poland needs for an active mission (typically anything in West Prussia, or Danzig in particular), Poland will turn on you no matter what. So don't be afraid to abuse their trust in that last war. Once Poland hates you, start shopping around for strong allies (typically Muscovy). Then start eating Poland.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Less liberty desire is going to make Espionage a very attractive pick, I think. There really is nothing more frustrating in this game than having a bunch of folks you aren't capable of fighting as a group support the independence of a vassal you've carefully built from nothing.

Tendronai
May 7, 2008

My worst nightmare. It's a dream I have. I'm in a square cell, glass walls, just me and a little castle.

verbal enema posted:

Any tips on big wars? Im having my first one helping out Ragusa take Croatia and all of Hungary and Austria are just pouring troops into Western Anatolia. I can't keep up.

I won't lose anything from this war but I'd like some tips on what to do before hand. Also a proper army ratio.

Some general war tips:

- Have a tech advantage, or at least tech parity. Having a tactics or morale advantage is huge. Tactics reduces how much damage you take, morale is essentially your units health bar in battle.
- Don't fight into bad terrain if you can help it. Try to snipe enemy stacks on plains or farmlands, wait for their stacks on mountains and forests.
- Use infantry mercs, infantry takes the most casualties and you don't want to lose your entire manpower pool two fights into a big war.
- If they're available, hire the morale or discipline adviser. Since this is your first big war it's probably early game, I'd prioritize the morale guy over discipline but either is good.
- Try to get the wargoal early to get a ticking warscore in your favor, and denies that ticking score to the enemy. The AI tends to love running down enemy armies over taking their goal, so you can swing the war by 10-15 points just by securing it.
- Follow up to that, siege anything that isn't in a fort's zone of control. Adds war exhaustion to the enemy, denies them the ability to build another army stack to bother you with, and you get to loot.
- Loot everything. You can make a surprising amount of money from just parking your units on enemy provinces for a month or two.

There's no definitive best army ratio, since tech group and level determines whats the most effective. I like going 8/4 or 10/4 stacks early, adding one cannon when they become available for the siege bonus, and add more cannons around tech 13 when they start to do worthwhile damage. At that point I try to standardize my armies to 8/4/8, depending how much I can actually afford.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

You know, I have over six hundred hours in this game, and I don't think I've once gotten past the year 1700. Does anyone have suggestions for making the mid game more exciting? My instinct is to blob and blob and eventually it just feels like I'm going through the motions

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
An extra thing is when you're at the point where you can do 8/4/8 or 8/2/8 it's a good idea to keep your armies separated into 20 or 18 stacks. AI will frequently try to take out one of your small stacks and avoid giant stacks so that's how you bait it into fighting you so you get the defensive advantage. Just make sure you either lead with the army that has a general or have the general nearby to reinforce immediately or you're gonna have a bad time.

Jay Rust posted:

You know, I have over six hundred hours in this game, and I don't think I've once gotten past the year 1700. Does anyone have suggestions for making the mid game more exciting? My instinct is to blob and blob and eventually it just feels like I'm going through the motions

Well there's an achievement that requires you to just play to 1820 and a lot of the more involved achievements can take quite sometime.

SurgicalOntologist
Jun 17, 2004

Oops, I was going for the "form Germany" achievement but I had steam in offline mode when I took the decision. Damnit. Are there any other achievements I could try for? It's 1750, I control all of Northern and most of Central and Eastern Europe, south to the Alps/Black Sea and west to vassalized mid-size France. PU with Russia. Getting that took a crazy force PU war against my previous allies Russia and GB, plus the stab hit from breaking the alliance truce which triggered a disaster. But I won and it's been easy mode ever since.

I'm frustrated I missed my achievement and would like to try something to at least give some challenge to the endgame, but I don't see anything on the list. Maybe I'll try to get the entire Mediterranean coast or something.

Edit: Oh, I did successfully get the 4 trade companies achievement this run, I control South Africa and almost all of the Indonesia/Malaysia/Philippines area. Also have fairly big Canadian, US, and Brazilian colonies. I don't think that bears on any other achievements though.

Speaking of the colonial nations, is there a way to customize their colors? The Prussia color is indistinguishable from uncolonized land, and no longer matches the Motherland.

SurgicalOntologist fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Apr 16, 2016

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Tendronai posted:

Some general war tips:

- Have a tech advantage, or at least tech parity. Having a tactics or morale advantage is huge. Tactics reduces how much damage you take, morale is essentially your units health bar in battle.
- Don't fight into bad terrain if you can help it. Try to snipe enemy stacks on plains or farmlands, wait for their stacks on mountains and forests.
- Use infantry mercs, infantry takes the most casualties and you don't want to lose your entire manpower pool two fights into a big war.
- If they're available, hire the morale or discipline adviser. Since this is your first big war it's probably early game, I'd prioritize the morale guy over discipline but either is good.
- Try to get the wargoal early to get a ticking warscore in your favor, and denies that ticking score to the enemy. The AI tends to love running down enemy armies over taking their goal, so you can swing the war by 10-15 points just by securing it.
- Follow up to that, siege anything that isn't in a fort's zone of control. Adds war exhaustion to the enemy, denies them the ability to build another army stack to bother you with, and you get to loot.
- Loot everything. You can make a surprising amount of money from just parking your units on enemy provinces for a month or two.

There's no definitive best army ratio, since tech group and level determines whats the most effective. I like going 8/4 or 10/4 stacks early, adding one cannon when they become available for the siege bonus, and add more cannons around tech 13 when they start to do worthwhile damage. At that point I try to standardize my armies to 8/4/8, depending how much I can actually afford.

Its actually like 1601 and I have formed Arabia and have a 149 land force limit. I'm miltech 14 and Austria is 15 drat near 16. Idk about Hungary as they kinda just take all the casualties and then Austria pulls their 25 stacks into the battle to mop me up.

This is my first large war as in well the people I'm fighting are actually a threat. Before I could overwhelm with numbers and was always on par or ahead on miltech. Also all my generals fuxking suck. I'm lucky if a get a pip in each category. How to you fix that! I had a 5 shock general who wrecked it all before this war but literally the day it was declared he died that weak BITCH.

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

Wha sort of stragtegy works for the Aztecs? One with less powergaming than would be involved with a Sunset Invasion game but enough to become King poo poo of Mexico.

Baron Porkface fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Apr 16, 2016

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Jay Rust posted:

I forget what my hour count is but I rarely went past 1700 until I started playing on ironman.

pdxjohan
Sep 9, 2011

Paradox dev dude.

Poil posted:

This seems really freaking cool. Although things might get very annoying if everyone gets access to increasing liberty desire.

Unless the rng monarchy REALLY screws you over. :v:

Its available from mid 18th century..

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Vanilla Mint Ice posted:

I finished my First Come, First Serve and For Odin! run :toot:
I felt like it took long as hell too

For Odin? :confuoot:

On the first week of the 18th century after four centuries America was finally great. Hopefully it'll remain great for the next four centuries and never forget its roots

The State of the World: First with Europe

What is amusing to me is that Muscovy/Russia does not exist in any capacity anymore in this timeline. I looked at the timeline and it seems like Muscovy formed Russia and was doing the usual Russia stuff of getting big but then it looked in the 16th century before I arrived to europe they got their asses handed to them by the hordes who also forced them to release Novgorod. Then eastern europe politiks featuring Poland and Lithuania, who btw were both enemies with each other by the time I arrived to Europe in the 16th century, got Sweden and Novgorod wrecked in the crossfire. The Livonian Order then played the role of a looter in a riot and absorbed the remainder of the weaken Sweden and Novgorod in separate solo wars at the end of the 17th century.

Poland also used to be much bigger than what you see here but once Lithuania turned revolutionary-y it began to BEAT THE LIVING CRAP out of Poland and everyone else piled on them to make them release pretty much everything. Poland actually used to own all of turkey and the ottomans were exiled to egypt for like almost two centuries. You can see from my mouseover some of the remnants of the polish holdovers in turkey. Folks who quit playing before the 1700s really miss out on the crazy territorial exchanges that can happen near the end.

The State of the World: Asia

As far as I remember Ming exploded into like 7 different large chinese states and China was a mess for a long, long time. Also half a screen to the right is where tourists can go to see the capital of the "Great" Britain.

The diplomacy map

Spain, formerly known as Castile, and Portugal were my first european allies because France was a jerk and a bully who declared war on me. After I own a part of Ireland I became allies with Austria. At some point Portugal became the defender of faith and got in the way of my god given right to conquer Norway. Then once I expanded into South Africa, Spain decided we're enemies for life. In the end Portugal helped me out in a grand total of zero wars and Spain helped me once in that defensive war against France.

After Spain broke up with me I allied with Lithuania. Austria helped me in every single european war except the ones against england/GB so they were super awesome. Lithuania only helped me in two wars: the decisive war against France that saw me take all of her american holdings in Alaska, California and North Carolina and also the 8 provinces including london they had in england; and the decisive ten year war against Spain and Portugal that saw them lose all of their holdings in south america. The help didn't come cheap either with Lithuania since they were in so much debt that I had to give them 3k ducats to join me against France and then 5k ducats to join me against Spain. In fact it was during that ten year war against Spain that Lithuania dropped out of the war and shortly became revolutionary. Finally in the year 1818 Lithuania decided to start a revolutionary war against Persia who was allied to Austria so I had to drop the alliance with them when they asked me to come help.

These are the leading powers of the world heading into Victoria III

Notice the little brown strain at the bottom? Why that's Tunis! For whatever reason Spain decided to leave Tunis with 3 provinces and then for whatever weird rear end reason the rest of europe also left them alone for the last three centuries. Just look how much raiding has come out of these three provinces:

That's alot of goddamn slaves taken

random bonus shitshot

It must be humiliating to be French, not only did you lose Paris to the Americans but then they come back and told you to give them your lunch money or they'll dump you into the toilet again and you know what the French did? They give their lunch money.

lol am I the only one noticing that your monarch is named Emperor Trump?

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Baron Porkface posted:

Wha sort of stragtegy works for the Aztecs? One with less powergaming than would be involved with a Sunset Invasion game but enough to become King poo poo of Mexico.

The challenge is that you basically have to completely reform your religion before the Europeans show up. The key is to take enough provinces for yourself to maintain a larger economy than the nations around you, but don't fully annex anyone because you need plenty of vassals in order to pass religious reforms. So you just need to pay attention to the alliances that form around you and attack the groups or single nations that are vulnerable.

Once you're reformed, you're free to annex whoever you want until the Europeans show up. You also have a colonist that you should use to expand a bit. When the Europeans arrive they might just completely gently caress you, but basically the idea is to try and fetch an alliance or two while you westernize. If you're really good then you can also push pretty far into South America before the European Invasion without being too power-gamey

Soup du Jour
Sep 8, 2011

I always knew I'd die with a headache.

Jay Rust posted:

Personally I like to RP and set out a goal for my nation and since I'm not great at the game take forever to achieve it. But on the other hand I wind up being super weird about how it's not being historical and stop playing by... 1700. Maybe achievements is the way to go.

OperaMouse
Oct 30, 2010

Jay Rust posted:

Poland can into space achievement?
Couple it with the other two Polish achievements, and try to get every single culture in your territory accepted.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
My first Ironman game was a Knights into Kingdom of Jerusalem run and even though I got it pretty early on I decided to stick with it to 1820 and see how big I can make the Jerusalem text stretch across the world. Also a cool run anyway cause it taught me how important it is to just no-CB war dec things if you really want to get certain achievements.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

verbal enema posted:

Its actually like 1601 and I have formed Arabia and have a 149 land force limit. I'm miltech 14 and Austria is 15 drat near 16. Idk about Hungary as they kinda just take all the casualties and then Austria pulls their 25 stacks into the battle to mop me up.

This is my first large war as in well the people I'm fighting are actually a threat. Before I could overwhelm with numbers and was always on par or ahead on miltech. Also all my generals fuxking suck. I'm lucky if a get a pip in each category. How to you fix that! I had a 5 shock general who wrecked it all before this war but literally the day it was declared he died that weak BITCH.

That mil tech difference is why you're losing so badly. Mil tech 15 has a huge number of bonuses in it. The AI is also playing the army meta correctly: always be adding fresh armies to a fight.

For better generals, increase your military tradition (accumulated through battles, sieges, and tradition ideas), or take idea groups or policies with bonuses to leaders.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Tsyni posted:

Join the hre, ally Bohemia, Austris and maybe Muscovy. Eat LO and Pomerania and try to get to Novgorod before Muscovy takes them all.

Soon you will dominate the world. Joining the HRE is so very helpful.

Poland goes to war with me before I can ally any of the biggies., and with only two diplomats, it's a tough start.

PittTheElder posted:

Play as Brandenburg, ally Poland (plus Austria or Bohemia, and some minors who hate Pomerania), declare war promising territory, take Neumark, give them Chelmno, and make the peace deal as expensive as possible so that the truce is the full 15 years. Give the LOs land to Lithuania if needed. Do as little as possible yourself.

During the truce, take the Pomeranian Succession mission, and take those two provinces. If the Emperor asks for one back, that's fine. Fabricate a claim on the TO.

After the TO truce expires, use Poland again to grab Konigsberg and the rest of Ducal Prussia. If you can get Danzig, you might as well. You can spread this over a few wars if you need to, just make sure you have your troops in position when you attack, so you can lead the sieges you need. Always declare immediately after the truce expires, so that Poland never gets a chance to lead the war. Be very mindful of what Poland's current mission is. Once you take a province Poland needs for an active mission (typically anything in West Prussia, or Danzig in particular), Poland will turn on you no matter what. So don't be afraid to abuse their trust in that last war. Once Poland hates you, start shopping around for strong allies (typically Muscovy). Then start eating Poland.

I'll give this a shot. I just thought T.O. was easier because they already had all the provinces they'd need, but I guess by Admin Tech 10 I should be able to nab it all.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Poor Ming, they got stuck in a bankruptcy chain and it happened several times within a fairly short period of time. Of course the six defensive wars they were fighting at the time didn't help any. I may have gone past 100AE with them but at this point they are more fractured than a vase after being hit by a herd of horses so it shouldn't be an issue.

pdxjohan posted:

Its available from mid 18th century..
That sounds like a really great idea both for game balance and historical reasons.

super fart shooter
Feb 11, 2003

-quacka fat-
I started as Brandenburg and formed Prussia, which turned me into a kingdom. Then the league war ended inconclusively with the diet or whatever which made Catholicism the dominant religion, which means I lost my elector status, since I'm protestant. But now I just realized that I also got demoted to a duchy again. (Bohemia's protestant too and they also lost the kingdom rank.) I guess it's not that important since I'm actually pretty close to 300 development, but I wonder if this is intentional, it's a pretty obscure little rule...

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
Had my first game of the new expansion yesterday, played as the Ottomans to have training wheels while I learned the new mechanics. So far my conclusions are:

1. I can't imagine a situation in which I'd run out of sailors
2. The number of states you can have before you start using territories is massive - I'm a runaway blob stretching from Vienna to Georgia to Iraq to Egypt and I've only just touched the limit
3. Corruption is completely ignorable, it's costing me a couple of ducats a month
4. New sea missions are cool, good to be able to just make a fleet of 26 heavy ships and have it sink everything automatically for me
5. Espionage is more-or-less the same (without the idea set), except now you can try and defend yourself with counterespionage

Does that tally with other people's experiences?

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

A raccoon is not finished when he is defeated. He is finished when he quits.
Now play as a non european nation and see if you feel the same way about the second and third point

Sailors is mainly a mechanic to punish a landlocked nation who just got their first port to keep them from throwing up a navy bigger than GB within a few years, and intentionally or unintentionally there is a rounding bug where if you don't produce atleast 120 sailors a years you don't get any sailors at all.

Vanilla Mint Ice fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Apr 16, 2016

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Doesn't naval force limits already punish you making a giant fleet with one port? You could make force limits have a hard cap at double force limit if you must have a hard limit, but "costing shitloads of money" usually prevents me.

What's the issue with states and corruption as a non-European nation?

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

So playing as Ayutthaya: Castile has a few islands near me, but they're weak and just got declared on by Aragon who owns the other half of Iberia. What are my odds of being able to grab one of the islands and hold it long enough to get it in a peacedeal before they get around to dropping a fleet on me?

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Gort posted:

Doesn't naval force limits already punish you making a giant fleet with one port? You could make force limits have a hard cap at double force limit if you must have a hard limit, but "costing shitloads of money" usually prevents me.

What's the issue with states and corruption as a non-European nation?

You get like +12 naval forcelimit just for being an independent nation. It's more that it takes an eternity to generate enough sailors to actually build up to those forcelimits if you've only just acquired some coastline. Ethiopia is a good example, you need to grab a bunch of low-development coastal provinces and wait several decades for Sailors to build even a handful of boats.

I'll agree that in my experience so far, Sailors are mostly a non-issue for any decent-sized naval power, but are a severe restriction on how fast you can build boats with only a few coastal provinces.

States are worse for non-Euros especially nations not in India or China. States on the whole I think are a good change (you can control accepted cultures now!) but when you're in a part of the world where most of the provinces are 3-5 development or something equally poo poo, the fact that State are essentially based on number of provinces hurts those nations. Having 15 States in Europe is a hell of a lot more development than having 15 States in the New World, Africa, and much of Asia.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Pellisworth posted:

States are worse for non-Euros especially nations not in India or China. States on the whole I think are a good change (you can control accepted cultures now!) but when you're in a part of the world where most of the provinces are 3-5 development or something equally poo poo, the fact that State are essentially based on number of provinces hurts those nations. Having 15 States in Europe is a hell of a lot more development than having 15 States in the New World, Africa, and much of Asia.

Does this mean that using the development mechanic becomes a lot more important for these low-development empires?

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Gort posted:

Does this mean that using the development mechanic becomes a lot more important for these low-development empires?

Ehh probably not because most of the low-development regions are also bad terrain and climate which makes buying development really expensive.

Mostly it means you have to be really choosy with what you make full States (downgrading a State to a Territory does not refund the ADM points for coring) and resign yourself to the fact that you're going to have low development overall.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Gort posted:

No because then you fall even further behind in tech.

• Locked thread