Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kaasen
Jun 8, 2011

Have you ever seen
anything so wonderful
in your entire life?

Irony Be My Shield posted:

I thought the effect they used for The Hand this week was pretty cool too

The effect is pretty cool, yeah, but after reading a few chapters into Part 4 I was kinda hoping we'd get an effect more like someone used the eraser tool in photoshop. Or maybe that would've felt too meta.

Kaasen fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Apr 16, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"
This was a Good Episode and I can't wait til part 2 where my feelings will get completely destroyed :)

Adeline Weishaupt
Oct 16, 2013

by Lowtax

Okuyasu Nijimura posted:

I've gone from wishing and hoping for this to pretty much believing that it will happen- at the very least, three eds

Does this mean... there's a chance...

All Star?!? :swoon:

Edit: vvv Alrighty :v:

Adeline Weishaupt fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Apr 16, 2016

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

man the meme's dead let it go

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

No

Appreciate the anime for what it is rather than pining for what it isn't.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
koichi is gonna lay the egg jouta comes from

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

My dad misses Joseph.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Fereydun posted:

whos koichi

I think he's that dude that pauses poses awkwardly by himself in the opening credits between Josuke and Okayasu posing and showing off Crazy Diamond and The Hand.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

W.T. Fits posted:

I think he's that dude that pauses poses awkwardly by himself in the opening credits between Josuke and Okayasu posing and showing off Crazy Diamond and The Hand.

nah man that's guanglai kangyi

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"

Johnny Joestar posted:

nah man that's guanglai kangyi

It's fine, not like we need to remember it anyway.

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

alcharagia posted:

I can't believe Koichi Hirose is loving dead

Koichi Hirose survives but everyone gets really worried that he'll get hurt again so they all have to take turns carrying him around in a baby bjorn for safekeeping

yeah actually they will
Aug 18, 2012
Koichi's head gets ripped off by the gate but the arrow gives him the stand ability to survive as just a head like those guys in spirited away

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
Koichi is 'great'

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

He's not short, he's very far away

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
Another thing I liked a lot about this episode's framing is using Jotaro's musings about needing to destroy the Bow and Arrow being used as bookends for the Okuyasu fight, since The Hand is basically a textbook example of what Jotaro is terrified of; in the hands of somebody smarter and more ruthless/murderous than Okuyasu, The Hand would be absolutely horrifying.

Hell, imagine if Angelo had awakened The Hand instead of Aqua Necklace.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
Something I've always really admired about Jojo is how it manages to move on without moving on. Dio's dead, and he's gonna stay dead. That chapter of everyone's lives is over. Even so, the aftereffects of Dio's evil are still very real and causing problems for the Joestars and everyone else even after his death. A lot of stories like this would've treated Dio's death as the end-all, be-all for his relevance to the plot and the world at large, JRPG-style, so I like that Araki still keeps Dio's influence around in some small capacity. It's an oddly realistic touch.

Anyway, great episode, but I'll have a bit more to say about it after we've seen the next one. Knowing what's yet to come, I can't really comment on the first half in-depth without reaching into the second one for context, so I'll spare everyone having to read me prancing around the subject by just waiting a week.

Part 4 is my third favorite after Parts 7 and 3 (respectively), but as you're all well aware I'm an insane person whose love of Part 3 and all its warts borders on the irrational, so for all intents and purposes you can consider Part 4 my second favorite. Those of you waiting for peak Jojo, peak Jojo is "Now."

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Part 4 is some loving top shelf, right from the farm, pure grain JoJo. There's only one other Part that I wholeheartedly like more so it's like ascending a crazy drop on a roller coaster with an even bigger one just visible in the distance. The whole ride is gonna be fun, but gently caress, it's not stopping anytime soon.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
Remember in Part 1, where Jack the Ripper jumped out of a horse carcass and Jonathan punched a wall so hard he exploded, and there was that time that Speedwagon's manly passion defrosted Zeppeli's arm?

There is no need for peak Jojo. Jojo is always good.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
<GREAT>, even.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

El Burbo posted:

I guess these people do exist

The only thing worse than calling it JBA is calling it JoJo's.
Sorry people here who add the 's for no reason

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
All Jojo is good, but some Jojo is more good.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
JoJo is always good, but Part 4 is so loving good , it's unnatural and deserves to be recognized for it

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

remember this

or this

every single jojo is peak jojo

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Bad Seafood posted:

All Jojo is good, but some Jojo is more good.

yeah, basically. this is some of the more good.

grancheater
May 1, 2013

Wine'em, dine'em, 69'em

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

I missed the insert and my first thought was ``Kakyoin would know what to do´´ .

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Every minute Jotaro is not loving Josuke's mom he is spitting on Kakyoin's grave

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

alcharagia posted:

Remember in Part 1, where Jack the Ripper jumped out of a horse carcass and Jonathan punched a wall so hard he exploded, and there was that time that Speedwagon's manly passion defrosted Zeppeli's arm?

Phantom Blood is so great. JoJo is great.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Does this mean that Josuke's mom will be creeping on Jotaro from here on out?

I do wonder why Stoned Angelo can't use his Stand anymore. Heck, I wonder how it helped him survive hanging.

alcharagia posted:

I mostly remember Vampire Jack the Ripper stuffing knives into his muscles so that when he flexes his muscles, he fires knives out of his muscles.

Unlucky7 fucked around with this message at 06:14 on Apr 16, 2016

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Housh posted:

when do we hit top level JoJo?

it never peaks, merely continuing to escalate

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"

Unlucky7 posted:

Does this mean that Josuke's mom will be creeping on Jotaro from here on out?

I do wonder why Stoned Angelo can't use his Stand anymore. Heck, I wonder how it helped him survive hanging.

I mostly remember Vampire Jack the Ripper stuffing knives into his muscles so that when he flexes his muscles, he fires knives out of his muscles.

Josuke fused him to the rock so hard that he stopped thinking, or is at least in a vegetative state.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Unlucky7 posted:

when you've been basically 99% morphed into a rock you kinda lose the ability to do anything like 'focus on making your stand appear' or 'use critical thought processes'

it's a cruel punishment but angelo is a remarkably cruel dude, so take it how you will

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?

Housh posted:

when do we hit top level JoJo?

the part after this one :colbert:

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette
So for people who read all the series: how does each chapter rank? What do we have to look forward to if this series continues onward?

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
There is not a personal ranking to make but Part 4 rises and falls in terms of insane bullshit

All you need to know is when you see the title "Highway Star" you should be ready for the best thing in Part 4 to happen

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Also Koichi sucks

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
Instead of a tre-eight slug to yo' cranium/
I got six and I'm aimin' 'em/
Will I bust or keep you guessin'

Mutant Standard posted:

So for people who read all the series: how does each chapter rank? What do we have to look forward to if this series continues onward?

Lots of sexually ambiguous characters and extremely hosed up situations that make no sense but that are still really fun.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Baal posted:

There is not a personal ranking to make but Part 4 rises and falls in terms of insane bullshit

All you need to know is when you see the title "Highway Star" you should be ready for the best thing in Part 4 to happen

There are at least 3 other candidates for the best thing in Part 4

This isn't the place to have that argument though

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Let's have that argument in the manga thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Mutant Standard posted:

What do we have to look forward to if this series continues onward?
Some cool rear end poo poo

• Locked thread