Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

100YrsofAttitude posted:

People going to be around on Saturday afternoon, like was the case a couple of weeks ago? I'll definitely be on all Saturday night (definitely from 10 pm GMT +1 for probably 2 hours, but most likely earlier)and happy to run things.

Besides Roving threats, I'd like to do a Tarlang's Crown run, I think I need to do it all once more and I finally get that deed checked off, naturally I'm up for anything though if they're people around.

I'll have to check what I'm missing for the metadeed but I'm up for that, we should all probably do that before Tuesday as the update was delayed since the leak but only by one day (April 12th now)

https://www.lotro.com/en/u18

Maybe more interesting than guessing if the new instances will be fun or not, to me is the idea of getting some of the new essence drops from running old content scaled to level 100. I think it'll be a rotation of all applicable instances, essentially giving you more variety instead of just alternating the new ones until you want to die in the third month. No idea if they'll drop new rings or new tomes, but the preview does confirm new essence drops.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

100YrsofAttitude posted:

People going to be around on Saturday afternoon, like was the case a couple of weeks ago? I'll definitely be on all Saturday night (definitely from 10 pm GMT +1 for probably 2 hours, but most likely earlier)and happy to run things.

Besides Roving threats, I'd like to do a Tarlang's Crown run, I think I need to do it all once more and I finally get that deed checked off, naturally I'm up for anything though if they're people around.

I'll be on every Saturday at 2 PM PST (unless otherwise noted), till the Sun fails and the Moon is dead.

And if y'all want to do level 100 stuff, I'll go off to grind on my own. Those deeds won't complete themselves.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Well I got a real-life social engagement... so I can't make it... sorry. So much for that.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Well I got a real-life social engagement... so I can't make it... sorry. So much for that.

Yeah, real life is a bummer. Wish I didn't have one.

Due to m real life, I'm going to be on later than usual, probably around 5-7 PM PST. If any of you nerds show up at 2 PM you'd better run something.

Oxphocker
Aug 17, 2005

PLEASE DO NOT BACKSEAT MODERATE
Foxjo, Blondii, and I were on for a bit around 5pm...

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

I dunno what your US times are, sorry. I'm on a fair bit when I have spare time, but y'all are probably asleep or something.

alucinor
May 21, 2003

Taco Defender
Edheladan's 2 PM USA PST scheduled runs =Ox's 4 PM CST = 9 PM Greenwich Mean Time, if that helps.

Dunk, I saw your thousand alts were all on for a couple hours but you left before anyone realized what time it was and started to group. :(

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Oxphocker posted:

Foxjo, Blondii, and I were on for a bit around 5pm...

For a bit! That's very generous of you. I jumped on for no more than 20 minutes before I abruptly jumped off. Hopefully I can be truer to my word next time.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

alucinor posted:

Edheladan's 2 PM USA PST scheduled runs

Ah, USA PST? That's my 7 AM and I'm never gonna be on at that time.

Pirateparty
Apr 12, 2007

Scurvy
Played this a few different times a few years ago, how has the population held up now that there are less servers?

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...

Pirateparty posted:

Played this a few different times a few years ago, how has the population held up now that there are less servers?
FWIW I'm in the same boat as you. I've been levelling a couple of characters for the past two weeks. Laurelin-EU is not exactly heaving but it's not deserted either. World chat is reasonably active and I've seen other players even in the levelling zones.

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

Pirateparty posted:

I don't think the population has changed much but it feels much much more populated since the mergers were something like every 5 servers became 1. Luckily you seem to be from USA #1 so you get to play on Landroval with the goons, where there are a ton of people but not very many goons. Update 18 is tomorrow though, so it's a good time to meet a lot of players.

edit

Also I should mention to anyone who doesn't check the site: The servers will be down from 7-11 tomorrow morning eastern time for update 18.

extra stout fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Apr 11, 2016

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Wooo I just hit 100 for the first time on my first character huzzah!

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

Chairchucker posted:

Wooo I just hit 100 for the first time on my first character huzzah!

Congratulations, hope you relaxed and enjoyed it because as of like eight minutes ago you got 5 more levels to get :)

http://dadislotroguides.com/u18-105-essence-guide/

I've never seen this site before but it seems legit, logging in now to check the update out. I like that Turbine is letting people use Morgul Crests to barter for the 105 essence recipes, this means not only are the Osgiliath instances worth doing for those who never got to still, but big groups for roving threats have more purpose than ever before now too.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
Dadi's LOTRO guides is a new site, hopefully he keeps active.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
https://www.lotro.com/en/game/articles/combat-changes

TLDR version quoted:

quote:

so I'll bottom-line it for those of you who are less interested in the nitty-gritty details.

1. We've made some long-overdue adjustments to the way avoidances work in LOTRO. In general, you will get a lot more partial blocks, parries, and evades, and about half as many full blocks, parries, and evades.

2. Partial blocks, parries, and evades will mitigate much more damage.

3. On average, most players will take roughly the same amount of damage, despite this change.

4. In instances, it will be much more important to skillfully position yourself behind your enemies: enemies with high block, parry, and evade ratings will generally take fewer crits unless you're attacking from behind.

5. Most players will receive a small buff to damage from Mastery, and Mastery has a much higher cap at level 100 and higher.

6. Medium Armour wearers will be able to cap their mitigations for less rating than heavy armour wearers.

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR
I read those notes but still don't see much change in game, most people are reporting burglars are now slightly better and wardens are slightly nerfed, but that it's not major and it only effects wardens in a certain level range.

Just ran my first featured instance, the level 100 Sammath Gul is very easy for anyone who's ever run it before or even newcomers. Loot was very good, probably only took 20 minutes. I prefer these to epic battles already. I believe the 100 and the 105 run on different timers, so two old instances a day and you get a lot of new and old loot.

Also the new traits are much easier to get than the last three everyone complained about, you just...level up. 101, 103, and 105 award trait points.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

extra stout posted:

most people are reporting burglars are now slightly better

Good.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

Are Wardens significantly worse? I picked them because they are apparently the best solo class and I thought it'd be fun to see some old, outdated instances with myself or with my RK buddy, rather than having to grab a full fellowship for them.

Zephro fucked around with this message at 11:44 on Apr 14, 2016

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Zephro posted:

Are Wardens significantly worse? I picked them because they are apparently the best solo class and I thought it'd be fun to see some old, outdated instances with myself or with my RK buddy, rather than having to grab a full fellowship for them.

I haven't played since the update, but looking at the changes I don't see anything that should have a major effect on your warden, especially at low level. I'm not the best number cruncher, though.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

extra stout posted:

Also the new traits are much easier to get than the last three everyone complained about, you just...level up. 101, 103, and 105 award trait points.

On that note - if the next Saturday shindig, if it happens, people wanted to do Old Anorien warbands, that'd be great. They give 1 trait point, and they feed into a meta that if you've done all the quests in Old Anorien, will give you another. So it's basically 2 trait points.

I'm still on EQ2 right now, not sure when I'm going to play the new content (probably in a couple of months), but I'd definitely log in to wrap up those 2 trait points in one go.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

xZAOx posted:

On that note - if the next Saturday shindig, if it happens, people wanted to do Old Anorien warbands, that'd be great. They give 1 trait point, and they feed into a meta that if you've done all the quests in Old Anorien, will give you another. So it's basically 2 trait points.

I'm still on EQ2 right now, not sure when I'm going to play the new content (probably in a couple of months), but I'd definitely log in to wrap up those 2 trait points in one go.

I'd be up for it and more likely than not available, unless my lady friend wants us to share time together which is totally valid. Old Anor is Minas Tirith and all that right?

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
Yep

revenance
Sep 7, 2003

can you hear the sleepless lullaby?
Started on Landroval, who can I message for a guild invite (who still actually plays)?

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

revenance posted:

Started on Landroval, who can I message for a guild invite (who still actually plays)?

When you're in game use the command "/who nazgun" (without the quotes (someone correct me if I got the command wrong)) and it should give you a list of all the kin members who are on.

But if you can't seem to find anyone when you're playing I run group stuff at 2 PM PST on Saturday and there's usually an officer or two on for that.

Oxphocker
Aug 17, 2005

PLEASE DO NOT BACKSEAT MODERATE
Don't forget there's the steam group TheNazgun where you can join and see who else might be online...or someone you can message.

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

revenance posted:

If you post your character name I will send you gold, pipeweed, possibly gear and my undying friendship. No officers online currently but you can chat with Dunkadin and I

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

revenance posted:

Post your name and I'll add you as friend till I see you on.

edit: If ever I manage to download the patch.

100YrsofAttitude fucked around with this message at 10:47 on Apr 15, 2016

revenance
Sep 7, 2003

I am 2-boxing because I'm a sperg: Thuraya (Beorning) and Nashshaba (Captain). I'm sure open world stuff will be a cakewalk, but I am a bit of a quest completionist though so if anyone has chars at the lower levels who can run some dungeons with me as I unlock them, that would be great.

revenance
Sep 7, 2003

Ugh can you seriously not increase the quest text font size? https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthread.php?333726-New-UI-out-yet-Any-way-to-change-quest-font-size

I play in 2560x1440, can't read poo poo.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

revenance posted:

I am 2-boxing because I'm a sperg: Thuraya (Beorning) and Nashshaba (Captain). I'm sure open world stuff will be a cakewalk, but I am a bit of a quest completionist though so if anyone has chars at the lower levels who can run some dungeons with me as I unlock them, that would be great.

2-boxing? I'm not aware of this concept.

A lot of us have alts scattered about so yeah just let us know where you're situated and I'm sure we can work something out. Landroval is populated enough that you'll find others generally able and willing to join. I've played with non-kin kids on a few occasions, they seem fine.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

100YrsofAttitude posted:

2-boxing? I'm not aware of this concept.

Playing two characters at once.

Back in the day where it came from (EverQuest, AFAIK) you'd both need two (boxed) copies of the game and probably two computers because early EQ didn't exactly alt-tab well.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

Does the landscape stuff ever get challenging, out of interest? Getting Undying was a cakewalk which is not at all how I remember it

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Zephro posted:

Does the landscape stuff ever get challenging, out of interest? Getting Undying was a cakewalk which is not at all how I remember it

Only if you're fighting stuff above your level or if you're pulling more mobs than you should, or both.

But you're a warden, so no.

Brave New World
Mar 10, 2010

Zephro posted:

This game got significantly easier as time went by. It was actually a major issue for a lot of people around the time that trait trees were released because suddenly everyone was massively OP and mobs were extremely weak. There were a few people that claimed they quite because of it. They've supposedly beefed it up a tiny bit, and Gondor is a bit harder than older content by default, but YMMV.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

And we're coming up on 2 PM PST, so I (Edheladan) will be dicking around in Middle Earth if anyone cares to join me.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

Brave New World posted:

This game got significantly easier as time went by. It was actually a major issue for a lot of people around the time that trait trees were released because suddenly everyone was massively OP and mobs were extremely weak. There were a few people that claimed they quite because of it. They've supposedly beefed it up a tiny bit, and Gondor is a bit harder than older content by default, but YMMV.
Thanks. That's kind of a shame, I remember the landscape mobs being hard way back when and failing to get undying on my Burglar. I know the Warden is supposedly OP and that's probably not helping but I wanted to be able to solo/duo dungeons as I've literally never done any of them and I assume it's the only way I'll see them with my hyper-casual play schedule.

Zephro fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Apr 16, 2016

Woodchip
Mar 28, 2010
It's also easier with open tapping now. Bring a friend or just leech off others for easy quest completion.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Thanks to an impromptu little group I was easily carried through the tail end of some Angmar quests I had lying around, just one more to do and all it seems I've left is the Carn Dum and Urugoth whatever it's called to do, that I can't do until I hit level 50 anyway!

So good news all around.

Also, while I know everyone else is pretty much using their own rep. items, I'd be very grateful if any unused ones were mailed Foxjo's way, even Mathoms can be of use. I figure I might as well try to get to Kindred with as many factions as possible if only to harvest that TP. I'm at 860 so just close to half way there. All my alts will profit from the trickle down anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Thanks to an impromptu little group I was easily carried through the tail end of some Angmar quests I had lying around, just one more to do and all it seems I've left is the Carn Dum and Urugoth whatever it's called to do, that I can't do until I hit level 50 anyway!

So good news all around.

Also, while I know everyone else is pretty much using their own rep. items, I'd be very grateful if any unused ones were mailed Foxjo's way, even Mathoms can be of use. I figure I might as well try to get to Kindred with as many factions as possible if only to harvest that TP. I'm at 860 so just close to half way there. All my alts will profit from the trickle down anyway.

I turned in all of mine with rep boosters on for 5 days (one level a day, 105 now woo) and I'm still I think roughly barely ally with both, so sorry to say too many people won't be giving those away for a month or two I'd guess.

I ran the Silent Street new 6 man instance, killed the first boss on tier 2 then just went down to tier 1 and did the whole instance, the first boss is pretty button mashy and boring but both the last boss and the little scene you watch happen after it are very well done, it's not super innovative new stuff but it is new parts of a story very much worth reliving in game form. Absolutely no loot for any of us though except for runes and relics and some gold, so this is probably similar to Osgiliath where you need to run it a few times, and you probably should only run tier 1 solely to learn the fight and experience it, don't expect good loot from t1.

It's kind of weird that a lot of the new content is more to experience part of the story, and then the majority of rewards are coming from running seven year old content, but it's a new approach and will probably change once we have good t2 groups formed.