Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

WaltherFeng posted:

I vaguely remember before launch seeing a video where you can stagger certain enemies by dealing enough damage and performing a special animation ala Bloodborne that is different from the riposte animation.

Something like the character wielding the longsword two handed and just jamming it into the Crystal Lizard while it is staggered. Is my memory failing me? It seemed different from Riposte and Weapon arts.

It happens sometimes. I've managed to do it to a number of bosses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Please feel free to call me out if I'm just being a baby, but am I crazy in thinking they went a little too far with the crazy aggro on a handful of enemies? For the most part I think the more aggressive enemies has been one of the best parts of the game, but some of them just feel a little cheap and seem to have an absurd amount of stamina. Specifically large mace and assassin type enemies.

Orv
May 4, 2011
I've mostly seen it on larger, non-humanoid enemies like the lizards and gargoyles.

Coolwhoami
Sep 13, 2007

Dezztroy posted:

They should make it so invaders get an estus charge if they kill a phantom.

I'm fairly confident this is currently the case. One of the few times I managed to kill all phantoms and the host involved taking advantage of estus charges I didn't have until after I killed a phantom, so.

Queering Wheel
Jun 18, 2011

NESguerilla posted:

Please feel free to call me out if I'm just being a baby, but am I crazy in thinking they went a little too far with the crazy aggro on a handful of enemies? For the most part I think the more aggressive enemies has been one of the best parts of the game, but some of them just feel a little cheap and seem to have an absurd amount of stamina. Specifically large mace and assassin type enemies.

It's not a big deal for me, but I agree that they went a little too far with certain enemies. They're huge and yet also ridiculously quick, with too much stamina and poise. This game seems to have more enemies like that than any of the other ones.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
the only enemy ive come to seriously hate is the loving ninja sickle skelly rear end in a top hat.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free
People are really bad at the PVP in this game

Some dude invaded me at the castle and was trying to be clever with a whip so I chain stunned him 100-0 with a +9 flame longsword then went to sleep on his corpse.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Tiler Kiwi posted:

the only enemy ive come to seriously hate is the loving ninja sickle skelly rear end in a top hat.

They're really easy to stagger though, I actually found the catacombs to be one of the funnest areas so far in terms of actually fighting random enemies, all of the red eye skeletons are awesome without being super bullshitty.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Tiler Kiwi posted:

Yessss, holy poo poo gently caress those guys!!!

They were actually what i was thinking of with that post, as well as the fat witch/ gold knights in the cathedral. I really think those 3 enemies transcend being difficult into being flat out cheap.

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

the real end game is Archdragon Peak, that place is full of nothing but the most assholeish shitheaded enemies

Tamayachi
Sep 25, 2007

Did you think about it?

Yes. Yes you did.

ShadowMar posted:

the real end game is Archdragon Peak, that place is full of nothing but the most assholeish shitheaded enemies

I chain backstabbed my way through like everything there. Except for that final boss, gently caress that final boss.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Was there actually a point to raising the gates around the giants in the cathedral? I feel like I missed something there but I have no idea what.

Gortarius
Jun 6, 2013

idiot
Toughest enemy in the game? Dogs.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

Gortarius posted:

Toughest enemy in the game? Dogs.

https://twitter.com/xmeetsdarksouls/status/719998079412219904

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

What are some cool weapons I can look forward to? I've liked spears a lot in Dark Souls 1 and 2, are there any cool ones like the silver knight spear in this game?

Orv
May 4, 2011

That's really unnervingly accurate.

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

Internet Kraken posted:

When fighting Yorhm do you have to use the storm ruler sword?

i didn't know it existed until the end of the fight and just shot magic missiles at his face

it worked and there is actually a way to shred his health insanely fast with them

if you shoot 3 great heavy missiles at his face he goes into a mode where you can riposte him. however, shooting magic missiles at his head in that mode makes every missile do a riposte's amount of damage so you can get like 3x the amount you would, at 3k~ per missile and 3 missiles per knockdown

ufarn
May 30, 2009
I ran intro a truckload of lag yesterday for some reason. Any idea what may have caused it, since I have 100/10?

Normally, it goes without a hitch.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

ufarn posted:

I ran intro a truckload of lag yesterday for some reason. Any idea what may have caused it, since I have 100/10?

Normally, it goes without a hitch.

:darksouls:

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Is the multiplayer just utterly hosed? Whenever invade/get invaded they don't actually animate. They just slide around with their arms stuck out and sometimes i take damage.

Viperix
Apr 21, 2006

WarpedLichen posted:

What are some cool weapons I can look forward to? I've liked spears a lot in Dark Souls 1 and 2, are there any cool ones like the silver knight spear in this game?

Well based on my early game-ish PvP experience. I think there's only a katana available in the first few hours of the game. It's weird, you'd think From would have had more weapon variety.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

I looked online to see if there was a secret to getting summoned for Darkmoon stuff. Apparently it has a rivalry with the Aldrich Faithful and gets prioritised to those but of course it needs the player you are saving to be in the Way of the Blue which nobody ever is at that stage of the game. Why not just automatically counter-invade the Aldrich guys?

Dezztroy
Dec 28, 2012

Coolwhoami posted:

I'm fairly confident this is currently the case. One of the few times I managed to kill all phantoms and the host involved taking advantage of estus charges I didn't have until after I killed a phantom, so.

Nope! Killed 4 phantoms in one invasion earlier, didn't get a single estus charge.

The Gorp
Jan 7, 2013

My style is impetuous,
My defenses are impregnable
My arms are tired

Bingo from bottom left to upper right.
Also this game never stops being good and now I have to make a third character.

DontMindMe
Dec 3, 2010

What could possibly go wrong?
Argh. Currently working on getting all of the achievements.

Looks like I need to get:

Aldrich Faithful to rank 1
Farron, Darkmoon, and Mound-Makers to rank 2.

Are there any tricks to getting this done? I'm at SL 106 and barely get summoned for anything (especially Aldrich)

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me
Anri questline:
WHAT DID I JUST DO! :stare:
WHY DID I DO THAT!!! :gonk:

Dezztroy
Dec 28, 2012

WaltherFeng posted:

I vaguely remember before launch seeing a video where you can stagger certain enemies by dealing enough damage and performing a special animation ala Bloodborne that is different from the riposte animation.

Something like the character wielding the longsword two handed and just jamming it into the Crystal Lizard while it is staggered. Is my memory failing me? It seemed different from Riposte and Weapon arts.

Bad angle, but this is me doing a Bloodborne-style visceral attack on the gaping alligator thing. Seems if you do enough damage in a short time you stagger it and can then do a critical hit like normal.

Also these enemies are some real bullshit and harder than most bosses I'm pretty sure.

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

MechanicalTomPetty posted:

Anri questline:
WHAT DID I JUST DO! :stare:
WHY DID I DO THAT!!! :gonk:

A lord of hollows needs a bride

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
Was the raw chicken tender boss (Consumed Oceiros) supposed to be easy, or did the AI just bug out and decide blindly charging into walls was a good idea for that instance only?

hampig
Feb 11, 2004
...curioser and curioser...

NESguerilla posted:

Was there actually a point to raising the gates around the giants in the cathedral? I feel like I missed something there but I have no idea what.

Pretty sure it's just so you can get the items without having to fight them. What I really want to know is if you can get something for killing them because I killed one and it was super boring.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Pwnstar posted:

I looked online to see if there was a secret to getting summoned for Darkmoon stuff. Apparently it has a rivalry with the Aldrich Faithful and gets prioritised to those but of course it needs the player you are saving to be in the Way of the Blue which nobody ever is at that stage of the game. Why not just automatically counter-invade the Aldrich guys?

For all the incredible quality of life stuff they've done this time, it's really amazing that they hosed up blue counter-invasions for literally the exact same reason they were hosed up in DkS2, i.e. tying them to a covenant nobody ever stays in. Why can't Blues/Darkmoons protect each other?

AllisonByProxy
Feb 24, 2006

FUCK TERFS/BLM/ACAB

DontMindMe posted:

Argh. Currently working on getting all of the achievements.

Looks like I need to get:

Aldrich Faithful to rank 1
Farron, Darkmoon, and Mound-Makers to rank 2.

Are there any tricks to getting this done? I'm at SL 106 and barely get summoned for anything (especially Aldrich)

Farm the mats! Aldrich: not sure Farron: guys right outside AW bonfire, Darkmoon: silver knights, MM: skellies

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Where did blind miracle lady disappear to? :(

Also am I safe to join the invaders covenant now that woman at firelink has said I can summon her or does it break her quest if you're with them at all?

NESguerilla posted:

I think you were supposed to lure the Giants behind them then raise the gate so they were trapped, but they were so trivially easy to kill it was pointless.
There one near Rosearia's bonfire that's a shortcut though.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

WaltherFeng posted:

You can do this to the first crystal lizard in the game when you start. He just kind of plops down and you go over and smush your swords into his face. Doesn't really do a whole lot of damage.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry

Diogines posted:

A few questions from a Darksouls noob:

1. Playing with a spear is fun on my herald, though I am not far in. How should I build a herald?

I'm pretty happy with my herald, it seems like a good class for someone who hasn't played a souls game before. I've focused mostly on dex and hp and played with a spear until I got the irithyl straight sword and realised that I could do so much more DPS with consecutive attacks than the slow spear-poking allowed me to do. I'm occasionally switching to the spear you get from the tree boss' soul but swords generally just seem a lot better. Maybe I just need a spear that scales better with dex idk

Also, goty:

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

hampig posted:

Pretty sure it's just so you can get the items without having to fight them. What I really want to know is if you can get something for killing them because I killed one and it was super boring.

They drop 1 large titanite each IIRC.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

kater posted:

You can do this to the first crystal lizard in the game when you start. He just kind of plops down and you go over and smush your swords into his face. Doesn't really do a whole lot of damage.

You can do it to anything with a shield if you're two handing a heavy enough weapon, smack their shield two or three time and you basically get the BB 'ready for a visceral' animation complete with similar sound

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

It's a shame the Irithyll Straight Sword is a piece of garbage, because A) ice, B) particle effects, and C) straight sword. It caps out at the equivalent of a Raw Astora Sword's +6.

Sakurazuka posted:

Where did blind miracle lady disappear to? :(

Also am I safe to join the invaders covenant now that woman at firelink has said I can summon her or does it break her quest if you're with them at all?

Check Gundyr's bonfire or the peak of the tower above Firelink.

Sirris will get pissed and break the quest if you join the Fingers, yes. I've heard that she might not notice if you just join it but don't offer any tongues or equip the badge, but that's just rumors. It's best to wait until later if you really want to do her questline.

Kite Pride Worldwide fucked around with this message at 11:51 on Apr 16, 2016

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry

Alabaster White posted:

It's a shame the Irithyll Straight Sword is a piece of garbage, because A) ice, B) particle effects, and C) straight sword. It caps out at the equivalent of a Raw Astora Sword's +6.

Why are those things bad?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Regy Rusty posted:

From my experience trying to sunbro before fighting him myself, yes. You basically do no damage otherwise.

I'm a dumb idiot that didn't see the sword and chipped away at him for 20-25 minutes with a Great Machete and eventually won - so it's definitely possible (but completely pointless)

ShadowMar posted:

I'd say it's also got the hardest boss in the game, it gave me way more trouble than the final boss/Pontiff etc