Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ferg
May 6, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
A few of you had asked about getting access to my D&D 5th edition character sheet app that I've posted here a few times. We quietly pushed it live this week. There's still a small handful of things we're going to update this week but for the most part it's done: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=io.vokal.d20

If you use it and like it shoot me a PM. I'll throw any goons a promo code to remove the ads and unlock multiple characters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

Ferg posted:

A few of you had asked about getting access to my D&D 5th edition character sheet app that I've posted here a few times. We quietly pushed it live this week. There's still a small handful of things we're going to update this week but for the most part it's done: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=io.vokal.d20

If you use it and like it shoot me a PM. I'll throw any goons a promo code to remove the ads and unlock multiple characters.

If you ever do a Dungeon World version, I will happily pay for it.

Edit: Forgot to add that this looks great and I'm glad you made it. Wizards of the Coast will never finish their toolkit. :sigh:

SystemLogoff fucked around with this message at 08:02 on Mar 28, 2016

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

AD&D 2nd Ed. My boner gets harder the more dice i roll.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh

Snapchat A Titty posted:

AD&D 2nd Ed. My boner gets harder the more dice i roll.

Then let me tell you about Age of Sigmar! Roll dice to see what dice you roll to see what dice you roll to see...

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Avenging Dentist posted:

Then let me tell you about Age of Sigmar! Roll dice to see what dice you roll to see what dice you roll to see...

No don't tell me about anything. I play ADD2 I don't care about anybody else :D

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Ferg posted:

Installed and purchased no ads just to provide some goonlove (widely known as the best love, except in California where it's known to cause cancer). Pretty neat!

Am I missing a way to add a custom race?

Ferg
May 6, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Blue Footed Booby posted:

Installed and purchased no ads just to provide some goonlove (widely known as the best love, except in California where it's known to cause cancer). Pretty neat!

Am I missing a way to add a custom race?

Currently that's on the todo list. We built it around the XML format used by Fight Club 5e for iOS so the "Import Data" function that is available on the title screen is the only way to do custom races/classes/whatever right now.

Thanks for purchasing!

Jo
Jan 24, 2005

:allears:
Soiled Meat
Figured out how to divide a mesh in Unity. Yay for linear algebra.

Need to figure out how to fill the center of the new meshes.

How it's time to make a VR CYOA where you chose your own adventure by cutting people in half.

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy
Working on a skype bot for our groupchats to do general stupid poo poo

SupSuper
Apr 8, 2009

At the Heart of the city is an Alien horror, so vile and so powerful that not even death can claim it.
Most gamedevs hate UI, yet all my work is basically UI Simulator 2020:

Scrollable listboxes! Message dialogs! Drag'n'drop!

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

SupSuper posted:

Most gamedevs hate UI, yet all my work is basically UI Simulator 2020:

Scrollable listboxes! Message dialogs! Drag'n'drop!

This looks really nice and I'm getting an Ascendancy vibe from it.

Jewel
May 2, 2009

Neurion posted:

This looks really nice and I'm getting an Ascendancy vibe from it.

It's actually just the original XCOM:Apocalypse base interface!

SupSuper is working on OpenXCOM which is an impressive remake from the ground-up, in a similar vein to OpenTTD (transport tycoon deluxe) and soon OpenRCT2 (rollercoaster tycoon 2).

I say soon on RCT because they still hook into the base game's engine until they rewrite that part and it becomes completely decoupled.

crab avatar
Mar 15, 2006

iŧ Kë3Ã…Â, cħ gøài- <Ecl8
My brother has been getting his feet wet with lowpoly 3D modelling. I thought I'd surprise him for his birthday with a little app I hacked together in a day in Unity. It generates little modelling challenges for him to complete :) The app picks from two "decks" of a handful of preset vertex counts and about 300 concrete nouns.

SupSuper
Apr 8, 2009

At the Heart of the city is an Alien horror, so vile and so powerful that not even death can claim it.

Jewel posted:

SupSuper is working on OpenXCOM which is an impressive remake from the ground-up, in a similar vein to OpenTTD (transport tycoon deluxe) and soon OpenRCT2 (rollercoaster tycoon 2).

I say soon on RCT because they still hook into the base game's engine until they rewrite that part and it becomes completely decoupled.
OpenApoc is a separate project. We could use more coders! :)

Sebbe
Feb 29, 2004

Biowarfare posted:

Working on a skype bot for our groupchats to do general stupid poo poo

Oh, neat. I've spent a lot of time doing that myself, a while back. Which API do you use for communicating with Skype?

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

Sebbe posted:

Oh, neat. I've spent a lot of time doing that myself, a while back. Which API do you use for communicating with Skype?

The official MS-approved documented nodejs one. Sending text is just send(to, msg_string) and an attachment is just send(to, filename, base64_encoded_png, base64_encoded_png_thumbnail)

Jo
Jan 24, 2005

:allears:
Soiled Meat

crab avatar posted:

My brother has been getting his feet wet with lowpoly 3D modelling. I thought I'd surprise him for his birthday with a little app I hacked together in a day in Unity. It generates little modelling challenges for him to complete :) The app picks from two "decks" of a handful of preset vertex counts and about 300 concrete nouns.

Aww. That's really sweet.

Sebbe
Feb 29, 2004

Biowarfare posted:

The official MS-approved documented nodejs one. Sending text is just send(to, msg_string) and an attachment is just send(to, filename, base64_encoded_png, base64_encoded_png_thumbnail)

Oh, neat. Probably should have a look at that at some point; there wasn't much in the way of APIs a few years ago.

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost
At some point, I will finish my SA Forum Reader app built with Xamarin.

All of the core code (Forum parsing, etc) works, because it's a PCL so I can reuse it from my other apps to here. But I need to rebuild the MVVM connections (Right now the data is debug JSON i'm parsing to fill out the view models), because those were built with UWP in mind. This is, like, my 5th attempt at this? But now Forms is mature enough that I can actually finish it, hopefully. But at least once this is done, I'll have one app for both iOS and Android :getting:

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.
One of us! One of us!

Seriously though that's pretty cool having the common code. Next step: a single SA-parsing C library that everyone can just write bindings for.

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

Honestly I'm just waiting for Google to make Swift work on Android so I can just include all of Awful.app and build an Material-ish interface around it. Speaking of which, you should refactor more code to Swift :v:

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

Sereri posted:

Honestly I'm just waiting for Google to make Swift work on Android

Merged today!

quote:

you should refactor more code to Swift :v:

On it!

Programmer Humor
Nov 27, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Working on a random playlist generator for Spotify by randomly walking from related artist to artist. Using the Spotify Web API, I poll the current artist for albums, and pick a random song from a random album. Then, I move on to the next related artist. So, for example, let's say we start with Britney Spears:

...oh

hendersa
Sep 17, 2006

Finally got a few free minutes to unit test the hardware design of my Beagle Entertainment System cape board:

It actually works! And no smoke came out of the BeagleBone Black, either!

I was very wary of the fact this design mixes 5V and 3.3V signals using FETs to convert between line levels, and I've blown BeagleBones in the past by applying 5V to a 3.3V GPIO by accident. So, I was triple-checking everything with meters and scopes prior to plugging it into an actual BBB. Beyond the physical interfacing and line level conversion for the SNES gamepads, I have the RTC and EEPROM subsystems left to test. Those are both I2C and should be a piece of cake, though.

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011

Programmer Humor posted:

Working on a random playlist generator for Spotify by randomly walking from related artist to artist. Using the Spotify Web API, I poll the current artist for albums, and pick a random song from a random album. Then, I move on to the next related artist. So, for example, let's say we start with Britney Spears:

...oh

i thought My Perogative was Bobby Brown (i guess that shows my age now)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5cDLZqe735k

TheresaJayne fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Apr 15, 2016

Athas
Aug 6, 2007

fuck that joker
I've written an interactive program for exploring the Mandelbrot set in real-time. Unfortunately, when I zoom in too far, I run out of floating point numbers. The chunkiness in the picture below is the result of neighboring (visual) pixels mapping to the same complex number, which I represent as pairs of floating point numbers. I guess I will have to figure out some way to scale the representation based on the magnification!

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?
Yeah that always happens. The solution is to use arbitrary precision numbers when you zoom in that much, but the performance takes a huge hit.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

I raytraced something

Programmer Humor
Nov 27, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I got tired of copying and pasting raw spotify URIs from my python playlist generator so I decided to reimplement everything as a web app with a save button functionality. This also gave me a chance to check out bootstrap and jQuery.

Sebbe
Feb 29, 2004

Programmer Humor posted:

I got tired of copying and pasting raw spotify URIs from my python playlist generator so I decided to reimplement everything as a web app with a save button functionality. This also gave me a chance to check out bootstrap and jQuery.

That's pretty cool; I could see myself using that sometimes! Is it publicly available somewhere?

Programmer Humor
Nov 27, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Sebbe posted:

That's pretty cool; I could see myself using that sometimes! Is it publicly available somewhere?

Sure, I think it's good enough for people to try out now.

http://fx21.github.io/playlists/

Tell me what you think and if you can think of any improvements.

Sebbe
Feb 29, 2004

Programmer Humor posted:

Awesome; I dig it. It seems cool so far.

Perhaps it'd be cool to be able to generate a new playlist based on another playlist, or one's own collection?

(My motivation: I write a bunch of silly songs for a student revue, and I'm curious to see, if running it on my "Stuff I want to write songs on"-list would find me any other songs I'd want to write on.)

Programmer Humor
Nov 27, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Sebbe posted:

Awesome; I dig it. It seems cool so far.

Perhaps it'd be cool to be able to generate a new playlist based on another playlist, or one's own collection?

(My motivation: I write a bunch of silly songs for a student revue, and I'm curious to see, if running it on my "Stuff I want to write songs on"-list would find me any other songs I'd want to write on.)

That sounds like an interesting idea, I'll see what I can do.

Woebin
Feb 6, 2006

Programmer Humor posted:

I like this, it's cool and I'm using it.

munce
Oct 23, 2010

Doing some stuff with heightmap data.

Nude
Nov 16, 2014

I have no idea what I'm doing.

Programmer Humor posted:

Thanks for this well done!

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:

munce posted:

This makes me wanna play Wetrix.

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?

munce posted:

Dang, this is slick. Really want to play Populous with that map.

hendersa
Sep 17, 2006

After a day or so of debugging with my scope, I have the SNES gamepads now interfacing with my BeagleBone Black via the BBB programmable realtime units (PRUs). The PRUs are microcontroller-like processors, built into the main CPU, that can share memory with the main CPU and execute each instruction in 5ns (unless you're hitting main memory, which takes more like 20ns for the access). I applied some 3rd-party kernel patches to enable userspace I/O (UIO) access to the PRUs on the 3.14 kernel. Once I was able to write some C code to upload firmware to a PRU and get it running, I screwed around with my scope and monitored memory from userspace to debug my firmware code and get the gamepad states back from the PRU via shared memory.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rLUWo8wX8Jc

I'm now bitbanging the SNES gamepad protocol via four GPIOs, and it takes no resources from the main CPU to do it. I just look at a single 32-bit memory location (mmap'd into my userspace process) that represents the current state of the two gamepads. I can check their state anytime by just dereferencing a pointer. This is a big deal for me, since it means the controls won't get "sloppy" when the CPU gets taxed by the emulators.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

hendersa posted:

After a day or so of debugging with my scope, I have the SNES gamepads now interfacing with my BeagleBone Black via the BBB programmable realtime units (PRUs). The PRUs are microcontroller-like processors, built into the main CPU, that can share memory with the main CPU and execute each instruction in 5ns (unless you're hitting main memory, which takes more like 20ns for the access). I applied some 3rd-party kernel patches to enable userspace I/O (UIO) access to the PRUs on the 3.14 kernel. Once I was able to write some C code to upload firmware to a PRU and get it running, I screwed around with my scope and monitored memory from userspace to debug my firmware code and get the gamepad states back from the PRU via shared memory.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rLUWo8wX8Jc

I'm now bitbanging the SNES gamepad protocol via four GPIOs, and it takes no resources from the main CPU to do it. I just look at a single 32-bit memory location (mmap'd into my userspace process) that represents the current state of the two gamepads. I can check their state anytime by just dereferencing a pointer. This is a big deal for me, since it means the controls won't get "sloppy" when the CPU gets taxed by the emulators.

What about the SNES multitap?