Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

cool and good posted:

You uhh get the game too right?
In the spirit of the genre, Paradox has realized space games are always better before release, so they'll save us all the heartbreak of actually releasing it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice
Stellaris Citizen

Neobdragon
Jun 30, 2013
If I'm not mistaken, didn't Mussolini have a interest in the independence of Austria during this time period? It is only after a visit to Germany in late 1937 that Italy basically signals to Hitler that they don't mind an anschluss.

So with this in mind I'm pretty surprised that they're able to declare war on Austria with no repercussions from Italy in the livestream, especially with "Historical Focus" turned on.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Ofaloaf posted:

Personally, my favorite cultures to play around with are the Native American ones. There's several Indian nations that are still present at game start. The Comanche control Comancheria as a proper Catholic kingdom, because one of my things early on was to sort of invert the Indian Wars by having the Indians be the settled people well-connected to the rest of the world (being Catholic, the Comanche won't be holy war'd on by the largely-Catholic Great Plains and Texas) while the nomads and tribes were white. The Navajo and Hopi, likewise, are Mormon, just like their northern neighbors in UtahDeseret.

Religions:
  • Catholics more or less have vanilla mechanics, except the popes have names like Smite-The-Unbeliever and Praiseworthy because they've been in Missouri for too long.
  • Ursulines mechanically are Catholics more or less, except it's all nuns running the show, so women dominate the religious hierarchy there.
  • Evangelicals use Orthodox mechanics, except instead of autocephalous churches they're called conventions.
  • Sagrado Corazon is Mexican Catholicism, using Hindu polytheist mechanics. Declare yourself a follower of the sacred luchadores or worship Santa Muerte, it's all cool.
  • Voodoo practitioners (largely in Louisiana and Haiti) can drug up people and make them their thralls, although even fellow followers tend to react to that negatively.
  • Revelationists are folks who used to be Christian but got so caught up in the snake-handling and speaking-in-tongues thing that the bits about Jesus and God and all that kind of got obscured.
  • Brethren are pirates and pirates are legit.
  • Norse are Norse.
  • Nanissáanah is the Ghost Dance, basically.
  • Sometimes Mormons still get upset that their religion is polygamous in the mod. It makes it mechanically distinct, okay?

There's a fuckton of religions, I'm sure Shadeoses could talk more about 'em too.
I tried the Ursalines, but the bishops didn't display properly and when I finally reformed by unifying the Canadian churches, it turned into a heresy right away, because not enough places converted.

Also, aside from the Ursalines and Catholics, does anyone else get crusades? Is it only reformed pagans? Same with holy orders, I saw a few catholic ones pop up, as well as the Men in Black obviously, but I never noticed any others.

The Evangelicals honestly seemed to be just Byzantines redux, insofar as the religion itself doesn't do much but its mostly involving the biggest blob and that makes it interesting.

Brethren getting revolts for non-coastal honestly made them super frustrating to play; I even had them starting out as the Inuit dudes in Newfoundland. Also no Greenland sorta cracks me up. Poor Greenland, too far away from both Continents~

It kinda makes me sad that there aren't more cool cultural stuff, just the Norse redux and some who get Tanistry. (Though why the cultural notes don't specify this as something special is beyond me, that's something from Paradox though.) Not really sure what could be tied to that though, unless we go into EUIV like bonuses for cultures...

Ofaloaf posted:

That... sounds like a bug.
Yeah. Is there some kinda event you can trigger with the console to reform? I could create the title by turning reformed, but that doesn't trigger the reformation, as far as I can tell. :(

It's been a blast though, these few frustrations aside.

csm141
Jul 19, 2010

i care, i'm listening, i can help you without giving any advice
Pillbug

Neobdragon posted:

If I'm not mistaken, didn't Mussolini have a interest in the independence of Austria during this time period? It is only after a visit to Germany in late 1937 that Italy basically signals to Hitler that they don't mind an anschluss.

So with this in mind I'm pretty surprised that they're able to declare war on Austria with no repercussions from Italy in the livestream, especially with "Historical Focus" turned on.

I do remember Italy guaranteed Austrian independence in HoI2.

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009
Yep, the diplomatic isolation of Italy following her invasion of Ethiopia caused her to drift into the German camp. Maybe WW2 could have been avoided if the French and British weren't such idiot racists and actually intervened.

blackmongoose
Mar 31, 2011

DARK INFERNO ROOK!

Enjoy posted:

Yep, the diplomatic isolation of Italy following her invasion of Ethiopia caused her to drift into the German camp. Maybe WW2 could have been avoided if the French and British weren't such idiot racists and actually intervened.

If the French and British intervened in Ethiopia, Italy would have ceased caring about Austria pretty drat quickly given they would have had much bigger things to worry about. If anything, it would have helped Hitler in his territorial claims due to the giant distraction of a Great Power face-off.

Chief Savage Man posted:

I do remember Italy guaranteed Austrian independence in HoI2.

Something like this seems reasonable with the German focus that buddies up with Italy removing the guarantee. Hitler pretty much waited for Mussolini's go-ahead before acting.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

I don't fascist nations can guarantee in hoi4 and even if they can the dev diaries say you need to be at 25% world tension to do so which was a problem in WWW because between peace-ing with Austria, bumping the world tension up enough doing so, and declaring war on the Czechs they didn't un-pause the game so the ai couldn't actually guarantee them.

Nine of Eight
Apr 28, 2011

LICK IT OFF, AND PUT IT BACK IN
Dinosaur Gum

blackmongoose posted:

Something like this seems reasonable with the German focus that buddies up with Italy removing the guarantee. Hitler pretty much waited for Mussolini's go-ahead before acting.

Incidentally my grandparents were friends with the son of the (assasinated) Austrian Chancellor at the time. The son only survived because he and his mother were guests of Mussolini in Rome at the time of the Anshluss, which tends to make me things that things were pretty complicated between Mussolini and Hitler at the time.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

holy poo poo are the official forums nitpicky about this weeks https://www.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)

The Narrator posted:

In the east, the Bhutanese dragon rises.

Byzantium civil war with the Republic of Crete breaking off.

Do the Scottish-dominated UK from Wiz's Azerbaijan game (is that the right source?)

Drone posted:

Hohenzollern, I think.

But rebuilding mods for some of the more famous goon LP's of old (Hohenzollern, Jerusalem, maybe Texas) would be pretty neat.

I think the Scottish UK was from Jerusalem, the Hohenzollern UK was pretty standard.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Right, the Scottish Union was Jerusalem. That LP also featured a hilariously violent North America and Orleans ruling all of France.

Spiderfist Island
Feb 19, 2011

Neobdragon posted:

Stairmaster posted:

I don't fascist nations can guarantee in hoi4 and even if they can the dev diaries say you need to be at 25% world tension to do so which was a problem in WWW because between peace-ing with Austria, bumping the world tension up enough doing so, and declaring war on the Czechs they didn't un-pause the game so the ai couldn't actually guarantee them.
Even if Paradox doesn't add in something to prevent Horthymania from running wild on Austria, I'd assume it would be easy enough to mod in a Day 1 guarantee from Italy. I think it's probably the case that, like in other Paradox games, WT only limits the range of diplomatic actions / states available once the game actually begins, and a game can start with nations with otherwise impossible diplomatic relations like Fascist guarantees.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
In one of the threads of people bitching about the player being able to run roughshod over their neighbours one of the devs mentioned that not all the rules are in place for the AI and presently it has no way to effectively respond to the player's sudden and erratic actions. The democratic nations can't respond until world tension hits a certain threshold (which they had reached by the end of the stream) and presumably larger fascist nations like Germany and Italy would eventually ally with Hungary and assist with their conquest or see them as a big enough threat and turn on them as well.

Each of the National Focus things has some prerequisites in order for you to be able to select them and we didn't see if taking over nations another country may want later would suddenly have you being targeted in stead; ie. can Germany only fire off the Anschluss if Austria is independent or will pursuing that option instead give the current occupier the option to hand it over or make the Germans take it by force.

OperaMouse
Oct 30, 2010

In HOI2 there were lots of interlocking guarantees on the Balkans to prevent something like this.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

OperaMouse posted:

In HOI2 there were lots of interlocking guarantees on the Balkans to prevent something like this.

Which usually caused the game to poo poo itself if you declared war on one of them anyways.

Tuskin38
May 1, 2013

Have you seen these posts?
They're pretty popular on Reddit.
I just pre-ordered the base Stellaris, the bonuses in the other editions didn't interest me.

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/hearts-of-iron-iv-development-diary-52-modding.920875/

HOI4 DD on modding

We finally get to use the 'nudge' map editor. (edit: it is Eu4 as well, I did not know)

Also podcat says they're seriously looking into 3D model support.

quote:

Another thing we have put a lot of effort into is reloadability. You can reload interfaces (even automatically as the game will check if files are modified and you will see changes instantly ingame) as well as several game systems. For example focus trees will reload with your changes making it really quick and easy to work with making them and not forcing you to restart the game all the time.

That sounds so good.

Tuskin38 fucked around with this message at 13:56 on Apr 15, 2016

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.
Custom triggers!!!!! In-game debugging tools!!!!!!!

Tuskin38
May 1, 2013

Have you seen these posts?
They're pretty popular on Reddit.

Empress Theonora posted:

Custom triggers!!!!! In-game debugging tools!!!!!!!

And dogs

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

What kind of National Dogs do the various Kaiserreich nations get

i mean sure Germany will have a shepherd, what does commune of france get?

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.
lmao i just noticed that the example mod in the dev diary post is called "black_icecream"

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice
In-game modding tools. :ccb:

Empress Theonora posted:

lmao i just noticed that the example mod in the dev diary post is called "black_icecream"

:lol:

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

I'm actually now thinking I might do the UK as my first HOI4 game, and going all-in on sending as many troops as possible to France for the British Expeditionary Force. I've done UK games of HOI2 and Darkest Hour plenty of times before, but I've never gone whole-hog on committing anything to French defense -- in fact I usually keep Britain completely out of the land war on the continent until a bit later in the war. I imagine if I throw everything into it, France and I could have a good chance.

Would probably be more fun as a two-player game with France and UK played by buddies though.

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009
What's traditionally the HoI equivalent of Tutorial Island?

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

They've mentioned on WWW that the in-game tutorial will be Italy and walk you through the invasion of Ethiopia to teach you all of the basic game mechanics. I feel like having a minor war early on is a good quality for a tutorial country to have?

EDIT: And the traditional HoI advice for learning the game is to play as Germany (and as much as I've complained about that in this thread I at least understand the gameplay rationale for that, since you ramp up from fighting Poland, to fighting France, to fighting the USSR and US so there's a difficulty curve). Who knows if that's still the best idea in HoI IV, though, since the game isn't out yet. :v:

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Oberleutnant posted:

Germany since it has an actual difficulty curve.

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that

Oberleutnant posted:

Spain would actually be a good one. You get an early war to learn how that all works, and you could try to join either the Axis or Allies and see how you influence the early stages of the war. Once France falls, quit out and pick a major player since the tutorial is over.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Oberleutnant posted:

Just play Britain. When you're no longer overwhelmed you've learned the game.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

Oberleutnant posted:

Germany goes literally at your own pace and, hey, if you lose then you can call that a victory too.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Drone posted:

I'm actually now thinking I might do the UK as my first HOI4 game, and going all-in on sending as many troops as possible to France for the British Expeditionary Force. I've done UK games of HOI2 and Darkest Hour plenty of times before, but I've never gone whole-hog on committing anything to French defense -- in fact I usually keep Britain completely out of the land war on the continent until a bit later in the war. I imagine if I throw everything into it, France and I could have a good chance.

Would probably be more fun as a two-player game with France and UK played by buddies though.

Funnily enough, this exact strategy was what I did in my last UK game. I tried one where I upgraded all of the British Army to motorised divisions and sent them across, but the amount of IC required to repair motorised units means they're not really viable for holding the line against Germany.

What does work - unsurprisingly since this is Darkest Hour - is infantry spam. Get all the manpower you can pre-war by putting conscription in place, deal with the resulting dissent while researching infantry upgrades, and you should be able to start the war with something like fifty infantry divisions, and you can quickly build more once the war starts. I sent mine to Belgium mostly, and after a while of shuffling my armies around to parry the various German attacks the Germans just stopped attacking. Then they declared war on the USSR and we crushed them from both sides.

Or you can just cheat and do the same thing while switching to mobility doctrine.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

In HoI IV the UK has a shot at getting the Anglo-French Union to help with any last ditch defenses of France, although I'm not sure what the conditions for triggering it are.

BillBear
Mar 13, 2013

Ask me about running my country straight into the ground every time I play EU4 multiplayer.

Oberleutnant posted:

USA. Surrounded by low tier allies with zero chance of foreign invasion, INSANE amounts of resources, amazing navy right off the bat, most powerful industry by miles, massive manpower pool, great tech and so on. You do start with virtually no army/air force though, but that just means you can do whatever build you want since you very much have the means to do so.

USA is the most fun nation to play by miles imo.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Also in HOI4 USA apparently has an easy time aligning to either of the 3 factions so everyone will want to be your friend if you play it multiplayer.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.

Stairmaster posted:

Also in HOI4 USA apparently has an easy time aligning to either of the 3 factions so everyone will want to be your friend if you play it multiplayer.

From the information we have so far, it sounds like it would be quite difficult to try and get the US to become part of a Communist or Fascist faction; their Home of the Free spirit prevents them from joining another faction that doesn't align to their own ideology (in this case a Democracy right off the bat) and their Great Depression spirit will severely curtail your ability to get leaders and companies added to your roster to try and force a communist or fascist revolution. It's clear they wanted to make sure the USA is hobbled at the beginning so they don't have the opportunity to turn into an unstoppable monster by the time the party starts in Europe.

The biggest pain in the rear end while playing as the US was island hopping in the Pacific and constantly trying to head off the Japanese while you reinforced your fleet. Looks like it will be a lot more straightforward this time around since you don't need to be micromanaging the hell out of your TPs.

Neobdragon
Jun 30, 2013
Hopefully there's 2 paths in the national focus tree to remove the "Home of the Free" national spirit and move towards either communist or fascist, maybe enter the war earlier after firmly setting yourself in one of those factions.

This is the kind of thing that adds alot of replayability to the game.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands
Can't you make your own factions in HoI4 independent of the big three?

Have an entire MP game spent courting America only for them to found their own "American Exceptionalism" faction at war with everybody. :getin:

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Tomn posted:

Have an entire MP game spent courting America only for them to found their own "American Exceptionalism" faction at war with everybody. :getin:

Europe, archive this!

ass struggle
Dec 25, 2012

by Athanatos
At least from the WWW stream it looked like "minors" like Hungary and Romania don't seem to have any unique events/bonuses/focuses/units. I get this to some extent, and HoI2 and DH had generics for most countries besides the great 7, but I think a little bit of historical detail in some secondary states would be very cool. Just like some small traits or unique focuses that relate to the historical reality.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Tomn posted:

Listen, Nazi Germany is evil, okay? No one's going to defend gassing Jews. But we can't just ally ourselves with the British and French. Look at all the horrible things they're doing in their colonial empires - the lesser evil is still evil! And don't get me started on Stalin.

We're going to liberate this world and make it safe for democracy. And we're going to do it alone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

slavatuvs posted:

At least from the WWW stream it looked like "minors" like Hungary and Romania don't seem to have any unique events/bonuses/focuses/units. I get this to some extent, and HoI2 and DH had generics for most countries besides the great 7, but I think a little bit of historical detail in some secondary states would be very cool. Just like some small traits or unique focuses that relate to the historical reality.

Thank goodness that Paradox will supply us with four 20$ dlc for that loo