Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

Vasudus posted:

It's the best. I've been laughing so hard at work my sides hurt and everyone in my section is horribly confused. It's literally HOOAH ARMY NUMBAR 1 meets a civilian, highly educated/skilled workforce. You could write a sitcom from it.

You should write more about this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Wasted an entire day at drill today that I could have spent working on actual things for my real job. But nope, we had to have a MUTA 6 this weekend.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

psydude posted:

Wasted an entire day at drill today that I could have spent working on actual things for my real job. But nope, we had to have a MUTA 6 this weekend.

serves you right for still being in

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

Yah but clearing at the end is easier in the guard/reserve.

*Brings in all TA 50, missing a few small things, but retard asked for my BDUS back........in 2009, and all my brown t shirts and underwear*

I said gently caress that and locked all of my poo poo in my locker at the armory and never went back.

Apparently they emailed my ako account that I never checked again but I had changed my phone number and never heard a word about it again.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

They kicked back my IRR packet requesting additional documentation. So it looks like I'll have another 4 month wait during which time I'll probably get promoted, which is hilarious because it means I'll have to waste money getting rank sewn onto my poo poo.

Ace of Baes
Jul 7, 1977
Ive found the trick to working with civillians in the army is to act like an actual human being, like, if theyre in a bad mood ask if its a busy day, or bring up a piece of their obnoxious cubicle flair, it makes them much more likely to bend the rules for you. I guess its kind of like how youre supposed to repeat your name when held hostage, to humanize yourself to the killers.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Flikken posted:

Yah but clearing at the end is easier in the guard/reserve.

*Brings in all TA 50, missing a few small things, but retard asked for my BDUS back........in 2009, and all my brown t shirts and underwear*

I said gently caress that and locked all of my poo poo in my locker at the armory and never went back.

Apparently they emailed my ako account that I never checked again but I had changed my phone number and never heard a word about it again.

lol, wait til tax season a couple years from now.

Loden Taylor
Aug 11, 2003

Vasudus posted:

"I want to speak with everyone at 7am to get the day started"
"sorry major, core hours are 9am-3pm so no can do"

"Bring this down to <place>"
"sorry major, admin duties aren't in scope" (lol @ getting a senior epidemiologist to be your loving errand boy)

What happens to dudes like this when they get out? How badly does the culture shock gently caress them up?

Do they ever become productive members of society?

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

Loden Taylor posted:

What happens to dudes like this when they get out? How badly does the culture shock gently caress them up?

Do they ever become productive members of society?

These are the kinds of E-8/E-9s you hear about that kill themselves 2 weeks after retiring.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde

xsf421 posted:

These are the kinds of E-8/E-9s you hear about that kill themselves 2 weeks after retiring.

bless their hearts

Suntan Boy
May 27, 2005
Stained, dirty, smells like weed, possibly a relic from the sixties.

xsf421 posted:

Or plaster Facebook with that "civilians don't know their place" garbage while working as gate guards and janitorial staff.

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones

Hillary Clintons Thong posted:

bless their hearts

I heard this in the voice of Bobby June from GTA V

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

Suntan Boy posted:

Or plaster Facebook with that "civilians don't know their place" garbage while working as gate guards and janitorial staff.

I know a guy who got out that is trying to be a rapper who is always posting... "motivational" poo poo about bettering yourself only having one life to live be healthy treat your body right expand your mind etc but he said he just wanted to use the GI Bill to collect BAH. Have a good life guy, whatever.

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

spacetoaster posted:

lol, wait til tax season a couple years from now.

It was a guard unit, I don't live in that state anymore and it was 7 years ago. I'm unconcerned.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Justin Tyme posted:

I know a guy who got out that is trying to be a rapper who is always posting... "motivational" poo poo about bettering yourself only having one life to live be healthy treat your body right expand your mind etc but he said he just wanted to use the GI Bill to collect BAH. Have a good life guy, whatever.

I have this huge fat gently caress that we cycled back to the rear and demoted on my first deployment for huffing; he just got kicked out (of the GUARD) for being completely unsat (talking like, six years of failing PT, repeat substance abuse program dropout, body composition of a nightmare, the works) whose Facebook is plastered with moto-boner gruntstyle memes and poo poo.

Motherfucker will probably be dead in a year, inshallah.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Flikken posted:

It was a guard unit, I don't live in that state anymore and it was 7 years ago. I'm unconcerned.

Doesn't matter. They'll take whatever they think they're owed out of your future tax returns.

That is, if they did the paperwork and sent it to the IRS.

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

spacetoaster posted:

Doesn't matter. They'll take whatever they think they're owed out of your future tax returns.

That is, if they did the paperwork and sent it to the IRS.

That unit doing paperwork right? Hahahahahahaha!

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

xsf421 posted:

Worse, the kind who retire to GS slots and gently caress up even more poo poo for year to come at higher pay while their fat wives waste the VA, Deers, etc' time running rascaling around base with a fitbit on conning them in to performing a lap band surgery while three guys who got blown up in a convoy full of mostly beef patties for the DFAC cook out said E-9 demanded are still waiting (and on year 6) of it) so they can finally get a prothesis so their arms don't look like the main attractions at a German BDSM club

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Booblord Zagats posted:

Worse, the kind who retire to GS slots and gently caress up even more poo poo for year to come at higher pay while their fat wives waste the VA, Deers, etc' time running rascaling around base with a fitbit on conning them in to performing a lap band surgery while three guys who got blown up in a convoy full of mostly beef patties for the DFAC cook out said E-9 demanded are still waiting (and on year 6) of it) so they can finally get a prothesis so their arms don't look like the main attractions at a German BDSM club

I've never had an issue with the VA.

I've got some pretty serious injuries too and they've always been very attentive and helpful. Heck, I'm impressed with the literal state of the art stuff they use on me/give me.

Same goes for several close friends.

I'm honestly wondering if it's a state thing, like my state just likes veterans better, or if people don't understand the bureaucracy and get lost in it.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

spacetoaster posted:

I've never had an issue with the VA.

I've got some pretty serious injuries too and they've always been very attentive and helpful. Heck, I'm impressed with the literal state of the art stuff they use on me/give me.

Same goes for several close friends.

I'm honestly wondering if it's a state thing, like my state just likes veterans better, or if people don't understand the bureaucracy and get lost in it.

It wildly depends on the hospital for individual care. Back in CT we had two hospitals for my tiny rear end state so *most* issues could be seen quickly.

Getting anything from the national office is a crapshoot - you've got maybe a 10% chance of it being on-time and correct.

Dream Weaver
Jan 23, 2007
Sweat Baby, sweat baby
Speaking of CT we just went to Niantic and it seemed like the tiniest most pointless base I have ever been on.

But Guard, right?

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

White Chocolate posted:

Speaking of CT we just went to Niantic and it seemed like the tiniest most pointless base I have ever been on.

But Guard, right?

At least you didn't have to go to Middletown, which is somehow in the white trashiest part of the state. Anything off the 95/84/15 corridors turns into mad max land pretty quickly.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

White Chocolate posted:

But Guard, right?

ive spent more weekends of my life there than i care to admit

Vasudus posted:

At least you didn't have to go to Middletown, which is somehow in the white trashiest part of the state. Anything off the 95/84/15 corridors turns into mad max land pretty quickly.

middletown isnt bad at all, if anything they huff their own farts too much b/c weslyan

durham, though...

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

My next goal in life is to get a government job and continue to leech off of tax-payers money while I do the bare minimum work to not get fired.

Yeah it's not glamorous, but by god someone needs to step up and serve.

Fucitol
May 8, 2005

Ceterum autem censeo mundum esse delendam

Memento, homo, quia pulvis es, et in pulverem reverteris
http://talkobamato.me/synthesize.py?speech_key=e8ab9be18e4ca692d615f5df1ac11e96

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

Wasabi the J posted:

I have this huge fat gently caress that we cycled back to the rear and demoted on my first deployment for huffing; he just got kicked out (of the GUARD) for being completely unsat (talking like, six years of failing PT, repeat substance abuse program dropout, body composition of a nightmare, the works) whose Facebook is plastered with moto-boner gruntstyle memes and poo poo.

Motherfucker will probably be dead in a year, inshallah.

Meanwhile a friend in my squad who was in the 75th never posts poo poo about the Army except the occasional "on this day in Iraq in 2005 RIP Ranger X" stuff. There's a direct correlation between how moto you make yourself look on FB vs how cool your job really was.

http://talkobamato.me/synthesize.py?speech_key=c32b95e0e5f9fef46496b3507b161159

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Quality posting direct from my brain to your face holes.

Justin Tyme posted:

Meanwhile a friend in my squad who was in the 75th never posts poo poo about the Army except the occasional "on this day in Iraq in 2005 RIP Ranger X" stuff. There's a direct correlation between how moto you make yourself look on FB vs how cool your job really was.

http://talkobamato.me/synthesize.py?speech_key=c32b95e0e5f9fef46496b3507b161159

http://talkobamato.me/synthesize.py?speech_key=4e9a00b3e00c56b1eb9c55a034fb0faf

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

3rd brigade of 3rd ID is gone now

I was attached to them in iraq. They honestly weren't too bad to me.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

3rd brigade of 3rd ID is gone now

I was attached to them in iraq. They honestly weren't too bad to me.

Out of Benning? Those dudes had one of those signs that said days since DUIs and days since last fatal training accident.

If they ever hit double digits on the DUIs we gave them a cheer when we drove by to dispatch.

Horrifically, the fatal training accident days hit triple digits once that I saw. probably spent most of the time below 50.

When Benning was hit with budget cuts everyone basically looked at 3rd ID and went "...yup".

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Does the Army release statistics on how many people die each year in training accidents?

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
http://talkobamato.me/synthesize.py?speech_key=1cde0e125d52ec27e3461165202beb23

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

psydude posted:

Does the Army release statistics on how many people die each year in training accidents?

https://timemilitary.files.wordpress.com/2012/06/pages-from-05-12msmr.pdf

This is from 2000-2011, has figures that related to both war related deaths as well as non war related deaths which includes transportation accidents.

Doesn't break down training accidents though.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u

psydude posted:

The army? I loving doubt it. Maybe the GAO does, but that would require accurate reporting by the army and I have no doubt that they'd fudge the poo poo out of those numbers.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

I know NTC has someone die every other cycle at least.

TheAlphaChaser
May 12, 2013
I will be returning to NTC THE PREMIER TRAINING CENTER for the second time in ten months as a PL AGAIN so I can almost die again in a rock slide in a place called Porta Potty Wadi and drink chlorinated water that gives me the shits for two weeks and turn around full OPRDs with ten minutes of TLP time and pretend I care when the OC gives me poo poo for not having a separate DRM for each battle period and get chewed out for allowing my dudes to prep the trucks with tops off in 98 degree weather and get yelled at by SGMs for using "a civilian water source hoo-ah" and urgllgrglllurgURGLLLGRGRGRLLGLR!!!!!!!!

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer
There's a solution to all your problems.

gently caress you if you're still in.

Suntan Boy
May 27, 2005
Stained, dirty, smells like weed, possibly a relic from the sixties.

TheAlphaChaser posted:

Porta Potty Wadi urgllgrglllurgURGLLLGRGRGRLLGLR!!!!!!!!

NTC is stupid, see you when you get here.

Soulex posted:

I haven't been keeping track, but that sounds pretty close. Horrific injuries are definitely 1 per, at a minimum.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

Suntan Boy posted:

NTC is stupid, see you when you get here.

I haven't been keeping track, but that sounds pretty close. Horrific injuries are definitely 1 per, at a minimum.

I was told every other. No one died when I went, but it got close. Apparently a PL got coordinates wrong on a fires mission and shot a whole 5k off target and the impact zone was about 50-100 meters from friendly. I think he got a GOMAR and that's it.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!
Put all nobles in the impact area until they learn to read maps correctly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaliber
Jun 17, 2005

Soulex posted:

This rotation 1AD already ran over one of the OC/T truck with a Bradley. Not sure which OC team it was, the COG is keeping it really hush. They are also going to have a BDE live fire. With no dry/blank run. Or a walkthrough.....

• Locked thread