Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Boomstick Quaid
Jan 28, 2009

Harrow posted:

Just got Sunbro summoned by someone who named their character Namco Bandai. :allears:

Were they wearing Kirk's set with the notched whip on fire?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Boomstick Quaid posted:

Were they wearing Kirk's set with the spike whip on fire?

No, but I did get a connection error as soon as the boss fight started so it felt like an authentic experience.

Boomstick Quaid
Jan 28, 2009
Anyone notice you can two-hand your left hand weapon by holding down the y button ds2-style

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Huh, so where do I go after defeating Aldrich?

Boomstick Quaid
Jan 28, 2009

man nurse posted:

Huh, so where do I go after defeating Aldrich?

Underground

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Is there a sweet spot char lvl for wolfbro invasions? I heard someone yesterday state that having a weapon beyond +3 or being past lvl 37 means you won't be able to invade because of the matchmaking limitations. I've kept my stuff to +3 and my lvl is 30 and I'm almost there, I just want to know if I should hold off leveling until I get those invasions done.

Dezztroy
Dec 28, 2012

Filthy Hans posted:

Is there a sweet spot char lvl for wolfbro invasions? I heard someone yesterday state that having a weapon beyond +3 or being past lvl 37 means you won't be able to invade because of the matchmaking limitations. I've kept my stuff to +3 and my lvl is 30 and I'm almost there, I just want to know if I should hold off leveling until I get those invasions done.

I would not level any more until you're ready to leave the doggy covenant behind

Boomstick Quaid
Jan 28, 2009

Filthy Hans posted:

That sounds right, the second I upgraded to +4 the covenant broke for me. I guess just look forward to sick covenant action in NG+ where everyone will be running around in undead legion cosplay

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

I'm kinda disappointed we never got a gang of criminals/crazy badasses boss all wearing the hood.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

The Abyss Watchers boss was pretty easy all told. Really cool boss but honestly I think the second phase needs more HP to be a real threat. I killed him in like ten Longsword swings.

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Dezztroy posted:

I would not level any more until you're ready to leave the doggy covenant behind

Cool, I'll do that

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats
Whats a good weapon that works with Pyro's having to dump tons of points into INT/FTH? I was using my starting hatchet just got the Crystal rapier and honestly it kind of sucks.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Aw man I was really excited to get a greatsword but the combat in this game is far too quick to use one. In DS1 you had plenty of time for the ridiculous swings.

96 spacejam
Dec 4, 2009

So I let the onion Knight looking man die to the Fire Dog but not before I attacked the friendly Giant at the top of the tower who is now perma hostile to me. Will I be missing out on anything because of this?

Pro tip for anyone having trouble with Vordt of the Boreal Valley. Just run back to the elevator and watch him fall down the shaft.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Should I be giving these tomes I'm finding to my magic trainers?

Boomstick Quaid
Jan 28, 2009

Calaveron posted:

Should I be giving these tomes I'm finding to my magic trainers?

Um yes but I will say that if you give the dark spell tomes to a trainer that is not the dark magic trainer there may be unforeseen consequences

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

How do

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

I'm surprised whenever a chest ISN'T a mimic.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
Also this Sirri lady showed up in firelink but basically told me we had nothing in common and was gone the next time I came back. What's her deal?

And is Road of Sacrifice one of those places where you'll always be invaded by a particular covenant? Got some guy that aggro'd a bunch of monsters to come kill me and it's aggravating.

Boomstick Quaid
Jan 28, 2009

There is swampy place in Irithyll go poke around

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Jerusalem posted:

Nah I didn't go up there till after that and nothing happened, but I went back today while just messing about and it happened.

I'll keep checking in on him. The first time I was so mad. Tricked by fuckin patches AGAIN :argh:

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Raged posted:

Whats a good weapon that works with Pyro's having to dump tons of points into INT/FTH? I was using my starting hatchet just got the Crystal rapier and honestly it kind of sucks.

Crystal Rapier really needs 30+ int to be worth it.

That being said, if you're really not pumping stats into str/dex then the trick is to infuse your weapon into something that doesn't have scaling. Raw is the easiest and will let you cast enchantments on it for more damage. Fire is also easy, available early on, and thematic. There's a Deep (non-scaling dark damage) axe in the High Walls if you know where to look that can also be good.

Until you gain access to Crystal/Chaos/Blessed weapon infusions if you're doing a heavy faith/int build just get a non-scaling version of whatever weapon you like.

Boomstick Quaid
Jan 28, 2009

Alkydere posted:

That being said, if you're really not pumping stats into str/dex then the trick is to infuse your weapon into something that doesn't have scaling. Raw is the easiest and will let you cast enchantments on it for more damage. Fire is also easy, available early on, and thematic. There's a Deep (non-scaling dark damage) axe in the High Walls if you know where to look that can also be good.

Until you gain access to Crystal/Chaos/Blessed weapon infusions if you're doing a heavy faith/int build just get a non-scaling version of whatever weapon you like.

Blessed is trash for attacking anything that is not a skeleton. If you're a pyromancer you'll want a chaos or dark infusion

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Calaveron posted:

Also this Sirri lady showed up in firelink but basically told me we had nothing in common and was gone the next time I came back. What's her deal?

And is Road of Sacrifice one of those places where you'll always be invaded by a particular covenant? Got some guy that aggro'd a bunch of monsters to come kill me and it's aggravating.
You joined the Finger covenant, which she does not approve of. I just ran into the same BS.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

ufarn posted:

You joined the Finger covenant, which she does not approve of. I just ran into the same BS.

I don't think I did. I'm currently allied to sunbros and the last covenant I had access to before meeting her was bluecops.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

HOTLANTA MAN posted:

Just jumped into this as my first Souls game. Died about ten times to Iudex Gundyr and another ten or so to the master swordsman outside firelink.

Having trouble getting backstabs down and keeping my shield up but I'm having fun I suppose. Dying so much just frustrates me sometimes.

Put your shield away and focus on rolling and walking backwards to dodge attacks. Remember that you have invulnerability frames at the start of your roll and you can use that to possibly roll agressively toward the attack to be in position to counter.

Of note, I loving suck.

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats

Alkydere posted:

Thanks. I have a Crystal Gem and the coal for it figuring I will throw that on a straight sword for now.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

The difficulty spike in the Catacombs of Carthus is rather dramatic

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry
Speaking of backstabs, I almost don't do any of it because I find pulling them off to be so inconsistent, even on enemies that haven't spotted me yet

like I'll be standing directly behind someone and hitting my attack key and it only seems to result in a backstab half of the time, what am I even doing wrong

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

ufarn posted:

Calaveron posted:

I don't think I did. I'm currently allied to sunbros and the last covenant I had access to before meeting her was bluecops.

The first time you meet her she will always sound disapproving and disappear, if you don't join that covenant at all (or join and don't give them any tongues maybe) the next time she appears she'll allow you to summon her and you'll start her quest line.

Waverhouse
Jun 8, 2009

A highly sophisticated simpleton.
Has anyone found a bleed infusion stone yet? I'm doing a luck build and want to experiment with other weapons but I haven't found a single one (found two poison stones tho). I'm in the Catacombs of Carthus, where you'd think you find one with all these bleed inducing skeletons and bleed inducing weapons lying around but nothing so far.. Just want to make sure I don't miss it since this Luck build feels sorta weird and I want some more options.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Bohemian Nights posted:

Speaking of backstabs, I almost don't do any of it because I find pulling them off to be so inconsistent, even on enemies that haven't spotted me yet

like I'll be standing directly behind someone and hitting my attack key and it only seems to result in a backstab half of the time, what am I even doing wrong

Try sword but hole

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

Stormgale posted:

Also Their dagger attacks will flinch off a shield and they have little stagger resistance, I was knocking them flat on their rear end with pyromancy boulders and fire orbs

Where can I find fire orb? I can't find any additional moves for pyromancy or the ability to level my pyro glove.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Boomstick Quaid posted:

Blessed is trash for attacking anything that is not a skeleton. If you're a pyromancer you'll want a chaos or dark infusion

Does the Blessed enchantment lower a shield's resistance? If it doesn't, or at lest doesn't lower physical resist below 90% or so, I could say a Blessed Shield would totally be worth it just for the health regen. It's not much but it's constant and passive. A Blessed Grass Crest Shield would probably be pretty baller for a build that 2-hands weapons or uses a dual-wield weapon.

Edit: Nevermind, looked it up and the Grass Crest Shield can't be infused sadly, so no blessing it.

Raged posted:

Thanks. I have a Crystal Gem and the coal for it figuring I will throw that on a straight sword for now.

Just keep in mind that a Crystal (magic damage + scaling) probably isn't terribly great until you reach the 30-40 int region either.

On the plus side, the infusion/elemetal damage system seems to work like DS2's, only enemies actually tend to be really weak to poo poo that it doesn't make sense for them to resist. So while the dudes around the Crystal Sage fight are all wizards and have crazy magic resists, I really haven't found much of anything else so far that resists magic. Well besides the giant crystal lizards. Meanwhile, a weapon that does damage other than pure physical will tear right through anyone in big, heavy armor it seems. So you might want to keep a non-elemental weapon (or at least a weapon of a different element) handy just for the occasional troublemaker, but elemental infusions seem to be very, very worth it in this game.

Alkydere fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Apr 16, 2016

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

The Abyss Watcher may be the coolest boss fight I've ever played. So wonderfully brutal, but needs to be clever in both how you engage, and how you dodge.

I died like 20 times on them though (up to 137-ish deaths in total) I am shockingly bad at these games.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Knight Kirk took me out in two hits lol. I love how all the DS1 returning champs have apparently spent the last few cycles lifting weights.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
A heavy dark sword seems to hit like a loving truck, I love it. Probably still not as good as a heavy longsword or quality longsword, but oh man it looks so cool.

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed
grrr. so I talked to Siegward in the well outside cleansing chapel but I can't find Patches anywhere. Not in the tower behind the shrine, not in the cathedral of the deep. In the Cathedral, I went up to the rafters, dropped onto the little ledge so I could walk across one of the partitions which I already raised. is that where I made a mistake?

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

RBA Starblade posted:

Knight Kirk took me out in two hits lol. I love how all the DS1 returning champs have apparently spent the last few cycles lifting weights.

The Black Knight in Farron's Keep/Road of Sacrifice surprised me by being able to one-shot my dude. Sure I'm a squishy mage with only 10 vitality but I wasn't expecting a single hit to reduce me to paste. Even the Dickwraiths in Farron's Keep had to combo me to death.

But yeah, general rule of thumb: if it survive to return from Dark Souls Original, it's gonna mess your poo poo up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

punk rebel ecks posted:

Where can I find fire orb? I can't find any additional moves for pyromancy or the ability to level my pyro glove.

There's a pyromancer you can rescue from a cage in the Undead Settlement. He teaches you some basic pyromancies and, when you find new tomes lying around, you can give them to him to learn new ones. He can also upgrade your flame, but note that upgrading the flame only increases the scaling, not the base magic adjust, so it's only worth doing if you have decent Int/Faith.