Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Klowns
May 13, 2009

Laugh At Me Will They?

Endless Mike posted:

They probably just copied specs from somewhere else.

In the customer questions seller confirmed it's the Exynos 8890 so it probably was this.

Sweet, I'm sold.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Lol at caring about the processor in your phone.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

RZA Encryption posted:

This.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

RZA Encryption posted:

It doesn't even make sense; it's like people would go out and buy something that isn't a late-model Nexus or Pixel.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

He/She just asked nicely, why does this thread have to poo poo on everything :|

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

Speaking of nexus phones, why do some reviews of the 5x state that the battery is killer while others say it's the worst? Is it because of how doze kicks in? Isn't that standard on all phones running Marshmallow now anyway?

CLAM DOWN posted:

:ironicat:

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

CLAM DOWN posted:

It is poo poo upon because you have to be so far removed from the idea of something just working the way it should to even frame the question, much less ask it.

I liken it to people asking what the best antivirus software is. If you're asking that question you've already made so many bad assumptions that you'll never even approach reality, much less ever accept it.

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

On Terra Firma posted:

Speaking of nexus phones, why do some reviews of the 5x state that the battery is killer while others say it's the worst? Is it because of how doze kicks in? Isn't that standard on all phones running Marshmallow now anyway?

:ironicat:

Its a quality control thing. Google cant be hosed to actually release a solid product themselves, so they let all the poo poo companies who need help make slightly-less-lovely devices.

Meanwhile, Samsung trounces all over everyone. Just wait until Tizen becomes a fully fledged phone OS and easily strips the Android and iOS market of the majority of their users.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

grimcreaper posted:

Just wait until Tizen becomes a fully fledged phone OS and easily strips the Android and iOS market of the majority of their users.

This is the good poo poo right here.

It also should be noted that far and away the shittiest Nexus devices? Why those would be the ones by Samsung. All of the others, well, worked.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Nexus 10 was pretty good at the time

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Skarsnik posted:

Nexus 10 was pretty good at the time

As far as I'm aware, the KitKat release for the N10 was the only Nexus system image that didn't support all of the new features of that Android version when it shipped without transparent navigation and status bars but I was referring exclusively to telephones.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

CLAM DOWN posted:

My S7 is on the February patch, how did you manage that?

e: Rogers, I guess it's carrier dependant

Diplomatic Immunity posted:

My Verizon S7 Edge is still on the February update. Which is odd in itself since I got the phone later in March.

I posted about this a few pages back but was swiftly ignored :smith: I'll explain here but it's fairly convoluted so apologies for the length.

I did a bit of Googling and discovered that you can flash a carrier-unlocked official Samsung ROM onto your Galaxy. The downside is it wipes the phone, but after that you get updates directly from Samsung. This does not require root, nor does it void your warranty.

I wondered about receiving further updates, if they'd be from Vodafone or from Samsung. My hopes were confirmed yesterday when I got the April security patch and other fixes pushed out on release day for the UK unbranded devices.

My handset was bought via Vodafone, though there was never any carrier branding on the boot animation and I think there was one app preinstalled (that can be removed). I checked http://www.sammobile.com/firmwares/ and the Vodafone ROM remains at the same version I got with the handset.

Note this will flash your device, wiping all data, so make sure everything is backed up:

1. Grab the latest official ROM http://www.sammobile.com/firmwares/ The generic UK ROM is the "BTU" ROM for anyone interested.

2. Download Odin (Samsung's tool for flashing) - http://www.droidviews.com/download-odin-tool-for-samsung-galaxy-devices-all-versions/

3. Follow the instructions here: http://www.droidviews.com/install-stock-firmware-on-samsung-galaxy-devices-using-odin/ - be sure to follow the instructions exactly as you can brick your device if you're not careful.

I wouldn't bother trying to flash a ROM from a different region and just change the display language - I initially installed some generic Nordic version, which had the April security patch. The phone worked normally except the Identify unsaved numbers feature was greyed out and wouldn't work. It's one of my favourite features of the S7 so I went back to the latest generic UK ROM that at least was security patched to March (before all this, I was stuck on February's patch).

I ended up getting the latest update on the day of release in the UK, which included the April security patch as well as new features.

Hope this helps. I don't know how well it works for you Godless American and Canadian people. Honestly the horror stories you people have about those carriers, I weep. Come to the UK, all are welcome.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

It's definitely worth paying $300 more than a Nexus 6P or $500 more than a 5X to have to do all that just to get security updates on a phone that's still not fully functional.

dont skimp on the shrimp
Apr 23, 2008

:coffee:

Endless Mike posted:

It's definitely worth paying $300 more than a Nexus 6P or $500 more than a 5X to have to do all that just to get security updates on a phone that's still not fully functional.

Just wait until it gets tizen, it'll literally give you blowjobs

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Endless Mike posted:

It's a joke that it's not equal to the iPhone update process. I know why it is but it's just not acceptable in TYOOL 2016, especially security updates. In what way do you mean it's not fully functional though?

WattsvilleBlues fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Apr 16, 2016

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

WattsvilleBlues posted:

The phone worked normally except the Identify unsaved numbers feature was greyed out and wouldn't work.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
So uh, how do I flash a Nexus 5X factory image in Windows? It fails with system.img, and from what I can tell looking into the issue, it tries to load the whole file into memory and runs out there of (it's a 32bit process). Like what the gently caress?

--edit: Apparently my fastboot tool is outdated?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Combat Pretzel posted:

So uh, how do I flash a Nexus 5X factory image in Windows? It fails with system.img, and from what I can tell looking into the issue, it tries to load the whole file into memory and runs out there of (it's a 32bit process). Like what the gently caress?

Update your SDK. On a Mac I just run the file "android" in the Tools folder to download fresh packages.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Doesn't work with the newer tool, either. I had to do it manually and make fastboot send things over in chunks by specifying -S 512M. I suppose your Mac version is 64bit as the Linux version is.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Endless Mike posted:

WattsvilleBlues posted:

It's a joke that it's not equal to the iPhone update process. I know why it is but it's just not acceptable in TYOOL 2016, especially security updates. In what way do you mean it's not fully functional though?

Oh it works fine now that I've got the UK ROM on it. I should have clarified, sorry.

MC Hawking
Apr 27, 2004

by VideoGames
Fun Shoe

MC Hawking fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Jul 20, 2018

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

Endless Mike posted:

It's exactly the same process carrier branded Nexus devices have to go through to get updates straight from Google.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

WattsvilleBlues posted:

I posted about this a few pages back but was swiftly ignored :smith: I'll explain here but it's fairly convoluted so apologies for the length.

This is pretty cool but a no-go if you use Knox :(

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I've owned the Nexus 4, 5, and 6 and none were carrier branded so I thought you were making it up. But I looked it up and I guess they do exist. The gently caress, why would Google allow that?

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

grimcreaper posted:

Meanwhile, Samsung trounces all over everyone. Just wait until Tizen becomes a fully fledged phone OS and easily strips the Android and iOS market of the majority of their users.

Lol

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Mu Zeta posted:

But I looked it up and I guess they do exist. The gently caress, why would Google allow that?

Because they are a niche handset manufacturer and need to play ball so that carriers will play nice with their phones?

TollTheHounds
Mar 23, 2006

He died for your sins...

MC Hawking posted:

How's the build quality? I know reviews were wildly all over the place especially concerning the creaky back panel. Do you think you got a good one? How bulky is it with a case?

Build quality seems great to me, but I haven't gone and checked the back panel or anything. It's possible it's janky but I just put it in the smart flip case as soon as I unboxed it. I love the little window that gives you a quick glance at all of your poo poo, and that I can answer calls without opening it so I don't get face grease on my phone. The case is definitely a cool feature.

The case is fairly trim considering I guess but it's nearly 1.5cm thick with it on. So it's not going to win any slimness contests.

Typing on a keyboard is so nice, and since it's touch sensitive you can just swipe up on the thing to insert suggestions and everything. I can also scroll through text when typing with it so I don't need to do the dance where you're trying to carefully drag your finger on your screen to get it perfectly in front of the letter you want to delete.

:frogin:

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

CLAM DOWN posted:

This is pretty cool but a no-go if you use Knox :(

I had to remove Knox before I could flash the phone, but you get prompted to reinstall Knox after the OS installation is complete and it reboots. I don't use it so didn't bother reinstalling.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

WattsvilleBlues posted:

I had to remove Knox before I could flash the phone, but you get prompted to reinstall Knox after the OS installation is complete and it reboots. I don't use it so didn't bother reinstalling.

Not "My Knox", actual enterprise Knox, flashing anything onto the phone will trip the efuse.

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

grimcreaper posted:

Its a quality control thing. Google cant be hosed to actually release a solid product themselves, so they let all the poo poo companies who need help make slightly-less-lovely devices.

I suppose that's true. I really really want to like the Nexus 5x, but there are so many loving downsides to getting one that I just don't see a point even at the current discounted rate. Quality control is just another tick in the column of "Things I don't want to deal with" on a Nexus device.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

bull3964 posted:

Because they are a niche handset manufacturer and need to play ball so that carriers will play nice with their phones?

More "Google didn't yet understand that carriers know exactly what good faith is and, unless compelled to operate under it at (at least constructive) gunpoint, refuse anything to do with it."

With the 5X and 6P Google appear to have internalized that lesson, but it'll be next I/O before we see if it sticks.

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

Resist the siren call of rhinocerosness

College Slice

Combat Pretzel posted:

Until the last two latest images or so, I've had to manually flash all the parts one by one because the flashall script would always fail sending the system image over. I don't even bother using the script anymore I've done it enough times.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

CLAM DOWN posted:

Not "My Knox", actual enterprise Knox, flashing anything onto the phone will trip the efuse.

Ah, my bad.

Krime
Jul 30, 2003

Somebody has to do the scoring around here.
I'm on a Sprint Note 5 and I may have been Samsung'd.

I recently got the Marshmallow update... I can't be certain the update was the culprit since I wasn't paying explicit attention to it, but now my phone will not quick charge. 3 different chargers and a multitude of cables and nothing works.

:(

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

Krime posted:

I'm on a Sprint Note 5 and I may have been Samsung'd.

I recently got the Marshmallow update... I can't be certain the update was the culprit since I wasn't paying explicit attention to it, but now my phone will not quick charge. 3 different chargers and a multitude of cables and nothing works.

:(

You probably already checked, but is quick charge enabled in the settings?

Krime
Jul 30, 2003

Somebody has to do the scoring around here.

Desk Lamp posted:

Yep. Turned it off and on again. Restarted the device multiple times tried again toggling that setting. Just won't work.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

Desk Lamp posted:

Why is this even a setting?

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

:samsung:

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

butt dickus posted:

Why is this even a setting?

Because repeatedly quick charging a battery can have an adverse effect on your battery's lifespan. If you're going to charge your phone overnight you don't need quick charge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Desk Lamp posted:

Because repeatedly quick charging a battery can have an adverse effect on your battery's lifespan. If you're going to charge your phone overnight you don't need quick charge.

Do you have any links about this? I definitely believe you, I'm just curious what tests and research have been done.