Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Oh yeah, that reminds me, I took a proper look at the bottom of the tower where Patches traps you expecting you to fall down and die and I really shouldn't have forgiven him :stare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:
Coming from Bloodborne straight to this I feel like many of the boss fights aren't very hard at all, once you've crushed bosses like Ludwig and Orphan of Kos, Giant fast dudes in armour seems almost quaint by comparison, I did enjoy the Abyss Watcher fight if only I found it amusing that I could backstab the Watcher to death.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Yeah so far I haven't had any trouble with bosses, apart from being a dumdum during the second phase of treeboss because I didn't realise it had 'eggs' all over its body and was just trying to hit the grabby hand instead. Haven't gotten to Abyss Watchers yet though.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I haven't died once to a boss yet, though I'm told the later bosses get much harder.

The actual levels are hard as poo poo for me, though. I miss my Bloodborne sidestep and massive-range cane-whip for these constant group fights. I don't like any of the weapons with the quickstep battle art so :smith:

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
Edit: nm quitting and restarting the game fixed it.

Sheep fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Apr 16, 2016

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed

Sheep posted:

Need some help with finding Unbreakable Patches - I opened the doors in the Cathedral before knowing that Patches was even a thing that exists, so never got the cutscene with the bridge lowering stuff. I've reloaded the zone, run back and forth a few times, nothing. Also went to the tower above the shrine and tried to get trapped but he never shows up. Already spoke to Siegfried in the well who is like "yo I need my armor" so his questline is stuck until I can figure this out.

I've killed both Abyss Watchers and Deacons of the Deep so according to the fextralife wiki he should just be in Firelink Shrine now but he's not.

Anyone know what to do here?

welcome to my life. #findpatches2k16

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
Quit the game, start it back up, then do the Shrine bit, he'll be in the tower.

Edit: wasn't enough to reload the zone using bonfire, had to actually quit the game.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

Harrow posted:

There's a pyromancer you can rescue from a cage in the Undead Settlement. He teaches you some basic pyromancies and, when you find new tomes lying around, you can give them to him to learn new ones. He can also upgrade your flame, but note that upgrading the flame only increases the scaling, not the base magic adjust, so it's only worth doing if you have decent Int/Faith.

After I rescue him will he be in the Settlement still or at Firelink Shrine?

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Judge Tesla posted:

Coming from Bloodborne straight to this I feel like many of the boss fights aren't very hard at all, once you've crushed bosses like Ludwig and Orphan of Kos, Giant fast dudes in armour seems almost quaint by comparison, I did enjoy the Abyss Watcher fight if only I found it amusing that I could backstab the Watcher to death.

I thought this until I got to Pontifex. That whole area really ups the game's difficulty.

Nuggan
Jul 17, 2006

Always rolling skulls.

punk rebel ecks posted:

Firelink

exser
Aug 18, 2003

Has anyone figured out what's up with phantoms not being able to enter boss fights? I have not had anyone able to come in to my fight with a certain late game boss(Dancer) and it's driving me crazy.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

punk rebel ecks posted:

Anyone you get to join ends up at Firelink somewhere.

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed

Sheep posted:

Quit the game, start it back up, then do the Shrine bit, he'll be in the tower.

Edit: wasn't enough to reload the zone using bonfire, had to actually quit the game.

No dice for me. I'm guessing it's just fubar.

e: he was chilling in firelink asking for forgiveness despite me not trigger the tower. all is well.

54 40 or fuck fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Apr 16, 2016

my new dog
May 7, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
i havent done much pvp but this was pretty fun and intense
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9GY8OnOw9PE

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:

Fuligin posted:

I thought this until I got to Pontifex. That whole area really ups the game's difficulty.

I just beat Champion Gundyr and didn't find him that bad at all, I'm not complaining I just think its interesting.

f#a#
Sep 6, 2004

I can't promise it will live up to the hype, but I tried my best.
gently caress this, I've summoned for Wolnir about six times now and except for one time, none of my summons were able to get through the fog. God.

Platypus Farm
Jul 12, 2003

Francis is my name, and breeding is my game. All bow before the fertile smut-god!

f#a# posted:

gently caress this, I've summoned for Wolnir about six times now and except for one time, none of my summons were able to get through the fog. God.

Wally isn't worth summoning for tbh. Just run at his right (your left) arm, whack it until it breaks then go over to the other arm. if you get hit by dark, just roll up and let him advance a few steps. Ignore adds because he'll kill them before they get to you 99% of the time.

Xeras
Oct 11, 2004

Only a few find the way, some don't recognize it when they do - some... don't ever want to.
How much do you need to upgrade a weapon for it to be better than the deep battle axe/irithyll straight sword? Or should I just use my twinkling on the sword.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
So now that the game has been out for 500 years and everyone has uploaded their full playthroughs on pc, I have finished uploading my PS4 Japan version playthrough. :v: This was all pre-1.03 but at least sorcery is good for one thing, which is (megaspoilers) chumping the final boss and various other endgame bosses. :patriot:

e: sneaking suspicion the final boss can be chumped by anything tho

turtlecrunch fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Apr 16, 2016

Platypus Farm
Jul 12, 2003

Francis is my name, and breeding is my game. All bow before the fertile smut-god!

Xeras posted:

How much do you need to upgrade a weapon for it to be better than the deep battle axe/irithyll straight sword? Or should I just use my twinkling on the sword.

Depends on the weapon. As far as deep battle axe goes, it's the drake sword of DS3. It's great at first because it has the additional dark damage, but it also doesn't scale at all, so unless you're doing a specific build it'll get tossed pretty quick.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
I need some advice on the Greatwood. I'm using a Halberd. so it's a little tricky, but doable to hit the other nutsacks. But i seem to be stuck at 1/4 percent health when I run out of poo poo to hit. Should I just cave in and get some sort of bow?

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

I'M A BIG STUPID IDIOT WHO GETS TRIGGERED FROM THE WORDS SPORTS BALL AND HAS SHIT OPINIONS ABOUT CARD GAMES. ALSO I SAID I WAS GOING TO QUIT HEARTHSTONE OUT OF SPITE OF A TAIWANESE WINNING THE CHAMPIONSHIP SO REPORT ME IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A HS THREAD

WaltherFeng posted:

I vaguely remember before launch seeing a video where you can stagger certain enemies by dealing enough damage and performing a special animation ala Bloodborne that is different from the riposte animation.

Something like the character wielding the longsword two handed and just jamming it into the Crystal Lizard while it is staggered. Is my memory failing me? It seemed different from Riposte and Weapon arts.

Idid this to a big old cat bat spider guy in the cathedral but i dont know how or why

Boomstick Quaid
Jan 28, 2009

Fargin Icehole posted:

I need some advice on the Greatwood. I'm using a Halberd. so it's a little tricky, but doable to hit the other nutsacks. But i seem to be stuck at 1/4 percent health when I run out of poo poo to hit. Should I just cave in and get some sort of bow?

I use the halberd and the backstep+R1 is very good at hitting the higher up scrotes

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Sure you've hit all the nuts? There's some on his back and also legs, that was enough to kill him for me, if all else fails hitting the grabby hand does normal damage to him but it's risky.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

hmm, I got another character to Road of Sacrifices, and at the areas you can summon, that character also can only summon 1 white phantom, in contrast to the previous zones.

Is RoS just special? Is everyone restricted to summoning 1 phantom instead of 2, by default?

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

Fargin Icehole posted:

I got that last bit of health by attacking a bulb under his left leg. Had to target it manually, so probably save that for last.

Sakurazuka posted:

Sure you've hit all the nuts? There's some on his back and also legs, that was enough to kill him for me, if all else fails hitting the grabby hand does normal damage to him but it's risky.
I think if you keep attacking the hand it starts doing a devistating 3-hit combo. It only ever did it when I hit the hand enough for it to stagger.

ghosTTy
Sep 22, 2008

rat hub

Spooky Bear Ghost
Sep 17, 2010

lets get spooky
I miss rat king covenant, I'm bummed out that I have to kill my buddies from DS2 :smith:

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Huh, so that's the final boss? Ok..well, I got the Firelink Sword, which I've been wanting since the first game

Spooky Bear Ghost posted:

I miss rat king covenant, I'm bummed out that I have to kill my buddies from DS2 :smith:

I always hear people gushing about the rat kings, but I never understood why. I preferred the bell towers, and I wish they were back because I really loved invading those

Painful Dart Bomb
May 23, 2012

And he was talking 'fore I knew it, and as he grew he'd say "I'm gonna be like you, dad" "You know I'm gonna be like you".
I feel really bad. I got onionbro killed and it was my own fault. :negative:

I let him fight the fire monter all by himself. I figured I'd just get in the way and he seemed to be doing pretty good. He got it to about 25% before he kicked the bucket and then it promptly ran over and pushed my poo poo in. I'm sorry onionbro.

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

I'M A BIG STUPID IDIOT WHO GETS TRIGGERED FROM THE WORDS SPORTS BALL AND HAS SHIT OPINIONS ABOUT CARD GAMES. ALSO I SAID I WAS GOING TO QUIT HEARTHSTONE OUT OF SPITE OF A TAIWANESE WINNING THE CHAMPIONSHIP SO REPORT ME IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A HS THREAD
Whats the point of a fast, dodge based play style if every enemy does 12 hit combos so you just hyper armor through everything and trade hits basically out of boredom.

Waverhouse
Jun 8, 2009

A highly sophisticated simpleton.
Do I have to land a direct hit for the Undead Hunter Charm to take effect? I threw it out and this red phantom dude just rolled 1 roll distance away and was able to heal. Is there something I'm missing or is there a better version of the charm later on?

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
loving hell, after the masterpiece that was Pontiff, Aldrich is a god drat garbage boss. Hilariously easy if you get a good pattern, literally unwinnable if you get a bad one.

Unless I'm missing something, you just gotta outrun the arrows right? He keeps spamming that over and over until I'm out of stamina and then it oneshots me. I have maxed out my magic resist and it still oneshots me. I'm staying in melee range at all times possible (aka. whenever I'm not running for my life), but he starts firing his bow immediately after he teleports every time even if I'm right next to him.

Platypus Farm
Jul 12, 2003

Work Friend Keven posted:

Whats the point of a fast, dodge based play style if every enemy does 12 hit combos so you just hyper armor through everything and trade hits basically out of boredom.

Which enemy are you talking about because it sounds like you might be exaggerating just a tad.

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

The enemy is the inner me.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

Does anyone have any advice for avoiding Aldrich's bow attack in the second phase, where it follows you wherever and last for ages? I can avoid everything except that one, but the only thing I can do to avoid it is to just stand in the arena and run in circles, which makes it basically impossible to watch aldrich to see the other attacks. If the arrows don't get me, it'll be a sweep or a soul spear from off-screen.

The battle is just turning into a game of praying the RNG doesn't make me deal with it, and I've been here for two hours without luck there. I'm convinced there must be something I'm missing about how to deal with it. I'm bored of waiting for it to go my way.

Edit: haha, looks like someone three posts up has had the same problem.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

Your Computer posted:

loving hell, after the masterpiece that was Pontiff, Aldrich is a god drat garbage boss. Hilariously easy if you get a good pattern, literally unwinnable if you get a bad one.

Unless I'm missing something, you just gotta outrun the arrows right? He keeps spamming that over and over until I'm out of stamina and then it oneshots me. I have maxed out my magic resist and it still oneshots me. I'm staying in melee range at all times possible (aka. whenever I'm not running for my life), but he starts firing his bow immediately after he teleports every time even if I'm right next to him.

This doesn't sound right, the only time I saw him do arrows was when I was long or middle distance away from him when he appeared. And he definitely never did them twice in a row, though the attack in phase 2 lasts a very long time.

Also if you happen to be a faith character you can use Vow of Silence and then he can't use any magic attacks (arrows are actually a magic attack due to the portal thing he makes).

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Throw me the name of a weapon that a heavy gem'd be decent for at 30 str

An axe, maybe?

Platypus Farm
Jul 12, 2003

turtlecrunch posted:

This doesn't sound right, the only time I saw him do arrows was when I was long or middle distance away from him when he appeared. And he definitely never did them twice in a row, though the attack in phase 2 lasts a very long time.

He'll still do it if you're right underneath him, but I just ran in a circle around him until it stopped. Also I think you can stagger him out of it when he first pulls out the bow, but I might be wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

How do you guys handle the equip load as a knight? I'm at 18 vitality, 58.0 equip load and 72.8% weight ratio with knight set and a few rings. (+longbow and a torch). Do I need to pump up vitality a lot to be able to wear any heavier stuff than this?