Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

like, what was my 19 year old self thinking

yep, any second now best buy is going to materialize out of the trees

better keep going

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

tbh theres a certain expectation of accuracy when you offer turn-by-turn directions. like before GPS was a thing, there were probably a lot of people who got lost because they couldnt read a map, but now its not really their fault anymore unless it literally says "next turn: drive into the harbor. just hit the gas at the pier."

i dont really care if its apple or google or tomtom or whoever makes gps stuff, its hella their fault if they send people into a haunted indian burial ground.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

at least with waze you can fix the map

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

i remember riding shotgun while my dad drove us from new york to baltimore in i think 02. holy hell that was a nightmare. american signage is absolute bullshit. that was just reading a map. i cant imagine machine-parsing that nonsense.

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

garmin once took me down a gravel road, i did not enjoy it

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake
alright the 2fa being embedded in iOS is legit cool & good

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

Snapchat A Titty posted:

i remember riding shotgun while my dad drove us from new york to baltimore in i think 02. holy hell that was a nightmare. american signage is absolute bullshit. that was just reading a map. i cant imagine machine-parsing that nonsense.

interstate signage is generally "just fine" if you know how to read it

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

fritz posted:

interstate signage is generally "just fine" if you know how to read it

ya it was fine once we got on the interstate. it was the first & last miles that were the awful parts

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Sniep posted:

they were 100% ok with going with google maps but google just wasnt ready for prime time so they had to DIY

when your vendors suck sometimes you just have to do it your drat self

GOogle Maps are a bajillion times better than the epically fail Apple iMaps which suck incredible levels of balls and fail cum. You''re a pretty big iDick sucker but even this is a stretch for you brother so consider your gimmick unveiled and ruined.

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Snapchat A Titty posted:

how do you gently caress up driving from baltimore to new york

or need a map after you get on 95

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

mishaq posted:

other way

it was getting outta manhattan onto the 95 i think. also bear in mind it was decades ago so my details may be a lil shot

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

Sniep posted:

speaking of apple maps is there a way to report bad data in it?

im sure there is i just dont know where, but, sometimes when it's wrong its VERY loving wrong like absolutely telling you to take the reverse direction exit thinking it's the right one, etc

you're holding it wrong & it just works

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope
once i was driving to work and i was not in a hurry, so i decided to follow the "shortest path" option in nokia maps. it took me on a gravel road and i thought "fine". i followed the road and ended up in someone's yard. they were home.

i did it again on some other trip and when i was driving on a highway it told me to take a left. so i did. once again i was on a gravel road, which this time ran parallel to the highway i was driving previously. anyway, after driving a couple of miles on it, the navigator instructed me to turn right, back to the highway.

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

that gives me an idea for a horror movie

Athletic Footjob
Sep 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer
Shortest path...to death

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

or each time the person uses route finding it takes them to some dead livestock or something

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

yeh gravel paths are never a valid option imo.

unless you want to drive into some kind of blood sauna. all around you are longhaired finns double-fisting vodkas & switchblades. you wonder how they can stand wearing sweaters in the blood sauna. in the background you vaguely hear a voice calling out KOLME!

KAKS!

YKS!

now you do not hear or see any more.

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

Rasheed was, with Aliases, the top 7 PvPers in Bone Krew.

No one talks about this.
go left

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

there is no left or right in blood sauna

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

mishaq posted:

its p impressive since it's basically a straight show down 95

everyone should go from florida or georgia and take 95 up to NY sometime

Joe 30330
Dec 20, 2007

"We have this notion that if you're poor, you cannot do it. Poor kids are just as bright and just as talented as white kids."

As the audience reluctantly began to applaud during the silence, Biden tried to fix his remarks.

"Wealthy kids, black kids, Asian kids -- no, I really mean it." Biden said.

Wheany posted:

once i was driving to work and i was not in a hurry, so i decided to follow the "shortest path" option in nokia maps. it took me on a gravel road and i thought "fine". i followed the road and ended up in someone's yard. they were home.

i did it again on some other trip and when i was driving on a highway it told me to take a left. so i did. once again i was on a gravel road, which this time ran parallel to the highway i was driving previously. anyway, after driving a couple of miles on it, the navigator instructed me to turn right, back to the highway.

This was basically expected behaviour in Waze ca. 2012

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

The Management posted:

if only here was some way to Report an Issue
i had a tomtom and it was poo poo so this explains a lot actually

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

mishaq posted:

95 at the split near trenton is kind of annoying

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

Snapchat A Titty posted:

yeh gravel paths are never a valid option imo.

unless you want to drive into some kind of blood sauna. all around you are longhaired finns double-fisting vodkas & switchblades. you wonder how they can stand wearing sweaters in the blood sauna. in the background you vaguely hear a voice calling out KOLME!

KAKS!

YKS!

now you do not hear or see any more.

it's not a blood sauna, it's blood löyly, smdh

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

ayn rand hand job posted:

its p impressive since it's basically a straight show down 95

everyone should go from florida or georgia and take 95 up to NY sometime

you gotta remember to get on the turnpike tho or youll find yourself going south on 295

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

touchid worthless after many hours of sweaty dancing. truely teh failphone

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

my MacBook Air is too old and slow to do Xcode or GarageBand or anything

the Crapple store has refurb 2.6ghz Mac minis for $589. a Mac that I can set on my desk and push a button on my monitor to switch to appeals to me. I've already got wireless kb/mouse/everything

will that do Xcode and GarageBand needs-suitingly or is there another Mac mini coming down the pipeline (it was last refreshed in 2014) or

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
hmm I should get one of these macs mini

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Luigi Thirty posted:

my MacBook Air is too old and slow to do Xcode or GarageBand or anything

the Crapple store has refurb 2.6ghz Mac minis for $589. a Mac that I can set on my desk and push a button on my monitor to switch to appeals to me. I've already got wireless kb/mouse/everything

will that do Xcode and GarageBand needs-suitingly or is there another Mac mini coming down the pipeline (it was last refreshed in 2014) or

this machine better have an SSD or fusion drive in it, otherwise you're wasting your money.

I don't think anyone knows if there's a mini update coming, but if there is it will probably come when apple update the rest of their line to skylake processors.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

The Management posted:

this machine better have an SSD or fusion drive in it, otherwise you're wasting your money.

I don't think anyone knows if there's a mini update coming, but if there is it will probably come when apple update the rest of their line to skylake processors.

fusion drive and ssd ones are $759. hmm.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Luigi Thirty posted:

fusion drive and ssd ones are $759. hmm.

DO NOT buy a machine with just a spinning hard drive.

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

the 2014 mini is bad.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
I've had nonstop logic board failures with a string of Mac minis very displeasing needs not suited

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Smythe posted:

I've had nonstop logic board failures

but enough about my weekends a ho ho ho

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

The Management posted:

DO NOT buy a machine with just a spinning hard drive.

or do because ssds are ridiculous to own if you're not doing enterprise applications

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

haha forgot about that one

classic

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

going back to spinning platters after an ssd is like going back to condoms

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

theflyingexecutive posted:

going back to spinning platters after an ssd is like going back jerking off without lube

made this more yospos appropriate

eric
Apr 27, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

mishaq posted:

made this more yospos appropriate

:golfclap:

SSDs are the best thing to happen to computing in a while and they're cheap now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

theflyingexecutive posted:

going back to spinning platters after an ssd is like going back to condoms

safer, less expensive and not noticeably different unless you're an rear end in a top hat?

sounds about right

VVV viz. VVV

Stymie fucked around with this message at 07:58 on Apr 18, 2016

• Locked thread