Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

I swapped out my knight set pretty quickly for the slightly lighter Fallen Knight set.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

Platypus Farm posted:

He'll still do it if you're right underneath him, but I just ran in a circle around him until it stopped. Also I think you can stagger him out of it when he first pulls out the bow, but I might be wrong.

I guess mine was really nice the 100 million times I fought him. :shrug:

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Azazell0 posted:

How do you guys handle the equip load as a knight? I'm at 18 vitality, 58.0 equip load and 72.8% weight ratio with knight set and a few rings. (+longbow and a torch). Do I need to pump up vitality a lot to be able to wear any heavier stuff than this?

Can you get the havel ring yet?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

So I went back to Iudex Gundyr to look for blind miracle lady and the knight she was with was just outside and attacked me for betraying his trust, with inevitable results so guess I hosed up that quest line.

Platypus Farm
Jul 12, 2003

Francis is my name, and breeding is my game. All bow before the fertile smut-god!

Azazell0 posted:

How do you guys handle the equip load as a knight? I'm at 18 vitality, 58.0 equip load and 72.8% weight ratio with knight set and a few rings. (+longbow and a torch). Do I need to pump up vitality a lot to be able to wear any heavier stuff than this?

You don't need the long bow equipped all the time. That's 5 iirc. Also, if your rings aren't really doing anything you can drop the ones that you don't need to shave some more off.

Also, havel's ring is pretty much a necessity for any heavy stuff.

edit re: aldrich arrows - yeah I think it's just a weird fight. I don't remember him ever using it more than once or twice in an entire fight. It maybe triggering because of a very specific distance? Who knows

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...
I've picked up the Fire Keeper Soul from Firelink, but I have concerns about getting this so-called "best" ending. I have the five holes of whatever from getting the free levels. Apparently I don't want to heal myself from this to get the best ending, correct? So do I just not turn in the Fire Keeper Soul? Is there no other use for it?

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

voltcatfish posted:

Can you get the havel ring yet?

Probably not. I just started Road of sacrifice and the crucified hollows are kicking my rear end.

Platypus Farm
Jul 12, 2003

Francis is my name, and breeding is my game. All bow before the fertile smut-god!

Revol posted:

I've picked up the Fire Keeper Soul from Firelink, but I have concerns about getting this so-called "best" ending. I have the five holes of whatever from getting the free levels. Apparently I don't want to heal myself from this to get the best ending, correct? So do I just not turn in the Fire Keeper Soul? Is there no other use for it?

You can give her the item just to get rid of it. All it does is put a menu option in her menu to heal the dark sign.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Revol posted:

I don't know if effects anything but turning in the fire keeper soul just lets the maiden cleanse the taint for a ton of souls, same as the statue in undead settlement, it's not an automatic thing.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
One reason Aldrich might do arrows even if you are close is because his actual center (the part of him you target when you put a bead on him) is slightly elevated, which tricks him into thinking you are further away than you are.

Boomstick Quaid
Jan 28, 2009

Sakurazuka posted:

So I went back to Iudex Gundyr to look for blind miracle lady and the knight she was with was just outside and attacked me for betraying his trust, with inevitable results so guess I hosed up that quest line.

It's because you gave her dark miracles tomes she don't got the constitution for that

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

Whoa! You're gonna be a legend!
Man oh man, Farron's Forbidden Valley of Blighttown Gutter Keep was a hell of an area.

First I was like "I'll just pick a direction and start walking" and after an hour and several deaths I get all the way across and find myself back where I started. So it's a giant circle!

And then later exploring I find one of the things to extinguish and I'm thinking "this is going to be HORRIBLE this entire area looks the same how am i going to find the rest of these?"

Then just a bit of exploring later I find the ladder. Some real good integration of insane draw distance as part of good game design when I realized I could literally get my bearings from higher ground to see where the other flames were and where to go in the swamp I was ecstatic.

Then the boss fight, good god. Pretty much every other boss so far had been kind of disappointing really but this one was utterly fantastic. First real (boss) challenge of the game for me.

All that said, since it's such a large area maybe I've missed something, but it's basically a dead end after killing the boss, right? There isn't a further area to get to from there? I didn't see any paths leading to new areas, just back to the Road of Sacrifice.

masam
May 27, 2010
So I just bought this game last night got jokingly pressured into running a deprived as my first ever dark souls character. Three thirty in the morning rolls around and I have finally beaten gundyr. My first ever dark souls boss naked, with a combination of clubs and when I accidentally up equipped during the second half of the fight, my bare loving hands. I have fallen in love with the idea of punching my way through the ashes with some magical back up. Does anyone have a guide to how to do that? I'm thinking punches slash pyro for damage, or miracl me haymakers. Is this even something you can do? I already tortured myself according to my friends when the found out what I got talked into, so I may as well continue making poor dark souls choices

Boomstick Quaid
Jan 28, 2009

Meiteron posted:

Man oh man, Farron's Forbidden Valley of Blighttown Gutter Keep was a hell of an area.

First I was like "I'll just pick a direction and start walking" and after an hour and several deaths I get all the way across and find myself back where I started. So it's a giant circle!

And then later exploring I find one of the things to extinguish and I'm thinking "this is going to be HORRIBLE this entire area looks the same how am i going to find the rest of these?"

Then just a bit of exploring later I find the ladder. Some real good integration of insane draw distance as part of good game design when I realized I could literally get my bearings from higher ground to see where the other flames were and where to go in the swamp I was ecstatic.

Then the boss fight, good god. Pretty much every other boss so far had been kind of disappointing really but this one was utterly fantastic. First real (boss) challenge of the game for me.

All that said, since it's such a large area maybe I've missed something, but it's basically a dead end after killing the boss, right? There isn't a further area to get to from there? I didn't see any paths leading to new areas, just back to the Road of Sacrifice.

You can fly through the deep swamp using the dagger quickstep weapon art if you want to get around faster in there

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Boomstick Quaid posted:

It's because you gave her dark miracles tomes she don't got the constitution for that

Yeah, that's what I figured, oh well.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Made it through the Irithyl Dungeon on my first go without dying. Feels good man.

LtSmash
Dec 18, 2005

Will we next create false gods to rule over us? How proud we have become, and how blind.

-Sister Miriam Godwinson,
"We Must Dissent"

I haven't been able to be summoned as a bluebro or invade as a watchdog despite having their items equipped for several hours. I'm able to invade with red eyes, be summoned for co-op, and have friendly blue phantoms come to my aid when I'm invaded. Anyone have any idea what's up? I'm thinking its something with ports that need to be forwarded but I can't find anything telling me what ports I need to forward.

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.
ok crisis averted: sieg showed up in the well after me and 3 phantoms whacked the deacons

gently caress those guys

.Ataraxia.
Apr 3, 2007

I think my NES is broken....

Meiteron posted:

At the back of the boss room there is a candle against the wall. Walk towards that.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

Malcolm XML posted:

ok crisis averted: sieg showed up in the well after me and 3 phantoms whacked the deacons

gently caress those guys

lol I was about to ask about this because I have NEVER seen that guy or Patches in this level

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Wolnir is a fun fight

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
So weird but useful Sirrus situation on my end

I joined the fingers after she gave me props for dream ashes but i never put on the sigil nor did anything. So the main word is this causes her quest to end but she never showed up for me telling me shes my enemy. After finishing all of Ilithyl went back to the bridge and her summon was there and the storyline is continuing. No idea why but im not going to fight it.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
My entire second character is devoted to cosplaying Solaire, which is going pretty well except I have no idea where to get a Giant Seed. None are- spoilered just in case growing on the giant tree next to Firelink for me

Boomstick Quaid
Jan 28, 2009

Lid posted:

So weird but useful Sirrus situation on my end

I joined the fingers after she gave me props for dream ashes but i never put on the sigil nor did anything. So the main word is this causes her quest to end but she never showed up for me telling me shes my enemy. After finishing all of Ilithyl went back to the bridge and her summon was there and the storyline is continuing. No idea why but im not going to fight it.

She gets pissed off if you turn in pale tongues to rosaria, not joing the covenant itself

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Uh, there might be a gimmick to get some of the NPC invader items you missed?

I went to Rosaria after getting her soul and there was a worm-dude there who dropped the Xanthous Crown and Heysel Pick that I missed earlier. I couldn't even sit at the bonfire before killing him.

Boomstick Quaid
Jan 28, 2009

Your Computer posted:

Uh, there might be a gimmick to get some of the NPC invader items you missed?

I went to Rosaria after getting her soul and there was a worm-dude there who dropped the Xanthous Crown and Heysel Pick that I missed earlier. I couldn't even sit at the bonfire before killing him.

You could've turned in her soul for a spell. If she's dead you can still turn in tongues and rank up, keeping her alive does nothing

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

turtlecrunch posted:

lol I was about to ask about this because I have NEVER seen that guy or Patches in this level

Same. Apparently there's supposed to be this really funny scene with the later but it completely broke in my game so he never appeared there. :shrug:

Shoehead posted:

My entire second character is devoted to cosplaying Solaire, which is going pretty well except I have no idea where to get a Giant Seed. None are- spoilered just in case growing on the giant tree next to Firelink for me

Giant's seeds are tied to invasions. You have a chance to get one after each invasion you go through. Rub the dry finger on your face.

Boomstick Quaid
Jan 28, 2009

Internet Kraken posted:

Same. Apparently there's supposed tobe this really funny scene with the later but it completely broke in my game so he never appeared there. :shrug:

For me he spawned in after I found patches above firelink and I killed deacons

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
So these dungeon enemies with the lanterns Is that weird damage thing a line-of-sight spell or something? My max HP just sinks when they turn on the red light, but it seems that I have to be like, looking at them or something, I don't quite get it. It isn't an area of effect either, I usually am pretty good if I get in close and kill them fast, but what's going on with that spell? Can I block against it?

Boomstick Quaid
Jan 28, 2009

8-Bit Scholar posted:

So these dungeon enemies with the lanterns Is that weird damage thing a line-of-sight spell or something? My max HP just sinks when they turn on the red light, but it seems that I have to be like, looking at them or something, I don't quite get it. It isn't an area of effect either, I usually am pretty good if I get in close and kill them fast, but what's going on with that spell? Can I block against it?

Red light + line of sight = don't sail at night

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Some major Tower of Latria vibes up in this bitch.

Bland
Aug 31, 2008

Winner Of The TRP I dont actually remember the contest im pretty high right now here's your venkys tag

8-Bit Scholar posted:

I tried backstepping towards them so I wasn't facing them and I tried turtling towards them behind a greatshield, neither tactic worked at stopping the health drain. I can only assume that if their light is red and they can see you, you're gonna lose health. Which is terrible game design but what can you do

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
can someone tell me if the bloodlust katana is good, and does it use titanite shards to upgrade? or like the twinkling ones?

Boomstick Quaid
Jan 28, 2009

8-Bit Scholar posted:

Some major Tower of Latria vibes up in this bitch.

Apparently if you smack the maggot enemies with a torch they just writhe on the ground forever

Nuggan
Jul 17, 2006

Always rolling skulls.
Being a Sunbro dragonslayer take down the ancient wyvern is super fun.

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed
the words "unable to summon phantom" are going to haunt me

Martout
Aug 8, 2007

None so deprived
Deacons are rough as a caster and I'm already a fair bit over levelled, guess I should have focused less on boosting Int and gotten some more Str so I could wield a better weapon, I can barely get through the mob to hit the guy but I'm basically committed to the build at this point.

Time to grind a little so maybe soul greatsword can punch through them!

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
Honestly, [Lothric Castle spoilers] Dragonslayer Armor feels a tad cheap. Its combos aren't particularly unpredictable, but they place a fountain as cover in the middle of the arena and it doesn't protect you from its long-range attacks and it has the help of the flamey cousin of Moonlight Butterfly in its second phase. Still, I'm sure I'll nail it tomorrow, but I think I'm done for the day.

Also, I was doing Untended Graves earlier and holy poo poo Gundyr 2.0 is a beast. The second phase leaves pretty much no room for healing or screw-ups and is fast as gently caress. Fume Knight wouldn't stand a chance against this guy.

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime

voltcatfish posted:

Throw me the name of a weapon that a heavy gem'd be decent for at 30 str

An axe, maybe?

Brigand axe or Mildred's axe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

The answer to every whine about combat/game mechanics: git gud