Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist

Max Wilco posted:

You mean once vampires are no longer (or less of) a threat? Because right now, the only two characters who can cast spells and survive melee in combat are Jaheira and Aerie.
It's good for warrior/caster hybrids (and Cleric/Mages that are used offensively instead of as utility spell reservoirs) that are liable to get attacked by level-draining enemies and caught by silencing AoEs, and also very much care about recasting their defensive spells quickly/uninterrupted in case they get dispelled or something.

Also, about your earlier question, Edwin is likely to leave you eventually, so in case you haven't gotten to Spellhold yet, kicking Edwin out before you go in and sending him home wouldn't be a bad idea.
I'm not sure if you can get around party members leaving by just reloading and hoping the game fires another party dialogue instead, it's been forever since I played with the default behavior for that. It's pretty much the first thing I always mod away.

Suspicious posted:

In the unmodded game, SI:A doesn't stop protection strippers.
Yeah, I'm pretty sure the only thing Ruby Ray does in vanilla that earlier spells don't cover already is getting rid of Spell Trap. Which gives it a niche use, but I usually just deal with Spell Trap by circumventing it with AoE attacks. I only remember using Ruby Ray with a party that included 3 Mages, who together could completely dismantle everything a Lich could throw up in one or two rounds.

Wizard Styles fucked around with this message at 08:42 on Apr 16, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Kavak posted:

I should not have set the Banter Accelerator mod to 10 minutes- it makes Jaheira's romance even creepier. Maybe it's less so if you assume she traveled with Charname in BGI, but I ditched her and Khalid in Nashkel before I went to clear the mines. Does her romance being active disable Aerie's or something? When does she start?

I'm also starting to think I should've gotten that mod that ups Gaelen's fee* and kept my equipment in compensation, because even with "The Burning Earth" the D'Arnise Keep trolls are hammering my rear end. I miss my full plate :(.

*What does the goody two-shoes path in Alternatives charge, if anyone here's played that?

Unless you use a mod that changes it, you can only romance 1 character (I think the tweak pack has an option that lets you change that)

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Skwirl posted:

Unless you use a mod that changes it, you can only romance 1 character (I think the tweak pack has an option that lets you change that)

I remember seeing dialogue that indicates that you can progress two, but they butt heads and you have to choose. That may be a mod itself, though. I'm sure a breaking point will arrive eventually, probably when I tell her how stupid the Harpers are as an organization. :v:

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Max Wilco posted:

Plus, Aerie is only party member I have who has any level of proficiency with maces

A warrior with a mace will be more effective than a cleric/mage with a mace, even if that warrior is unproficient.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Suspicious posted:

Chaotic commands protect against all psionics, including their psionic stun.

I also recommend using Haste when fighting mind flayers. For me, blitzing them with maximum DPS to kill them before they can eat your brain works better than any slower strategy.

Acaila
Jan 2, 2011

I'm wandering through WK at the moment with a multi-player party I made the other day and got to the deck of many things. I was super pleased to win at it because I've never ever won before. And then the nice planar dude isn't nice when you win :( I feel betrayed somehow :(

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Man with Stick temporarily converts to Man Who Throws Rocks to beat up some fire giants with ADVANCED TACTICS

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Hey so how do I make it into the Merchants Guild. I got the Reclusive Scholar quest ,but nothing on the door works. Also it looks like i killed a quest giver, some guy whose brother I killed in a forest. Not sure how he knew that.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Hollismason posted:

Hey so how do I make it into the Merchants Guild. I got the Reclusive Scholar quest ,but nothing on the door works. Also it looks like i killed a quest giver, some guy whose brother I killed in a forest. Not sure how he knew that.

You don't kill that guy in the forest

Rahzmataz
Apr 29, 2013
So i've just made it to Baldur's Gate, where should I be heading to gear up? I've got plenty of gold, and i've already been to Sorcerous Sundries. Are there any other must visit shops?

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

"Your toy soldiers are not pigmented to my scrupulous standards. As a result, you are not worthy of my time. Good day sir"

MrL_JaKiri posted:

A warrior with a mace will be more effective than a cleric/mage with a mace, even if that warrior is unproficient.

Maybe if you don't cast any spells. But there is one that gives you warrior thaco, and then others that give you even bigger bonuses. The only real advantages of a warrior are Grandmastery, more HP, and HLA access.

Washout fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Apr 16, 2016

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Washout posted:

Maybe if you don't cast any spells. But there is one that gives you warrior thaco, and then others that give you even bigger bonuses. The only real advantages of a warrior are Grandmastery, more HP, and HLA access.

And having more than one attack

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

MrL_JaKiri posted:

You don't kill that guy in the forest

Well to late now. That's been like forever ago.

Rahzmataz posted:

So i've just made it to Baldur's Gate, where should I be heading to gear up? I've got plenty of gold, and i've already been to Sorcerous Sundries. Are there any other must visit shops?

I'm wondering this myself.

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist

Rahzmataz posted:

Thieves' Guild sells some good stuff.

Apart from that, there are tons of general stores that sometimes sell some good potions, but nothing really special. Sorcerous Sundries and the Ulgoth's Beard inn are where you spend your money in the late game, mostly.

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
You know he's the villain, because he's got shifty eyes.

Acaila posted:

I'm wandering through WK at the moment with a multi-player party I made the other day and got to the deck of many things. I was super pleased to win at it because I've never ever won before. And then the nice planar dude isn't nice when you win :( I feel betrayed somehow :(

Here's how the deck of many works (dunno if the EE changed this):

DECK OF THE MANY THINGS (* = bad draw)

First Draw:

Donjon* (save or imprisoned)
Ruin* (lose 100,000 gold)
Euryale (-1 to all saving throws)
Flames (fight baalor and fire elementals)
Gem (valuable gems)
Jester (50,000 exp to user)

Second Draw:

Void* (save or disintegrated)
Rogue (charmed and hostile)
Sun (300,000 exp)
Vizier (mantle, lasts 24 hours)

Requires no bad draw:

Magician* (cursed, polymorphed into a rabbit)
Knight (fight demonknights)

Requires a bad draw:

Key (ring of protection +3)
Star +1 DEX (thief/bard) or +1 INT (mage) or +1 WIS (cleric/druid) or +1 STR (anything else)

Third Draw:

Skull (fight death shade)
Moon (+10 max hp)
Fool (cursed, wisdom drop and confusion)
Comet (+5 fire res)
Erinyes (+1 all stats, lasts 24 hours)

Requires no bad draw:

Talons (cursed, blindness)

Requires a bad draw:

Throne (1,000,000 exp)

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Mysterious Island more like Island of Inbreeding. Obviously these people are going to try and kill me.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

There was a terrible noise.
There was a terrible silence.

Holy crap you can just walk through the chess event with a potion of invis? Why did no one ever tell me this??

I also pulled a rook down to Durlag's Four with me :D I think later Ill do the stairs trick and just pull them a couple at a time.

Crip Towe
Sep 7, 2012

LowellDND posted:

Holy crap you can just walk through the chess event with a potion of invis? Why did no one ever tell me this??

I also pulled a rook down to Durlag's Four with me :D I think later Ill do the stairs trick and just pull them a couple at a time.
What? Not that it was that bad of a struggle, but that would have been nice.
How much more am I going to discover about this game that I play almost yearly since release? :(

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

Crip Towe posted:

How much more am I going to discover about this game that I play almost yearly since release? :(

if you talk to firebeard 50 times at the candlekeep inn he'll give you 300 gold just like that.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Crip Towe posted:

I still have never beaten chess without cheating :v: At least I know I can do the stair trick now

edit: As an aside, anyone know the XP cap of SoD?

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Use wands of fire and cast them at the edge of the fog of war. The enemy team will die without ever seeing you.

Vikar Jerome posted:

if you talk to firebeard 50 times at the candlekeep inn he'll give you 300 gold just like that.

That sounds a bit too "1998 urban legend" for me to believe, but...

There's a star sapphire upstairs at the Candlekeep inn, in a locked chest. If your character is not a thief, use 2.0's create party feature to roll a thief as a second party member, give him some points in Open Locks, have him go upstairs, steal the sapphire, and then sell it to Winthrop for 1000 gp right off the bat. Then kick the thief out and be on your way.

Woolie Wool fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Apr 16, 2016

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

That and have a ranged based party. My team just pulled out bows, slings, and darts and firing squadded each guy as he came stumbling out of the fireballs. Never even left our starting squares. Did pop a couple of summons to block some guys who were getting close but it wasn't really ever in doubt.

rakovsky maybe
Nov 4, 2008

Woolie Wool posted:

Use wands of fire and cast them at the edge of the fog of war. The enemy team will die without ever seeing you.

There's a star sapphire upstairs at the Candlekeep inn, in a locked chest. If your character is not a thief, use 2.0's create party feature to roll a thief as a second party member, give him some points in Open Locks, have him go upstairs, steal the sapphire, and then sell it to Winthrop for 1000 gp right off the bat. Then kick the thief out and be on your way.

If you have 18 Charisma or Charm and speak to the noblewoman on the first floor back room of Winthrop's she'll tell you about having the sapphire upstairs.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

In SCS they all rush you while hasted :v: I cant even get one spell off before 5 of them are hacking at me with swords.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

I'm glad I've never installed SCS then. :v:

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

LowellDND posted:

In SCS they all rush you while hasted :v: I cant even get one spell off before 5 of them are hacking at me with swords.

Have you got a Wand of Monster Summoning? With the instant casting time, pop that right away to draw their melee attacks, then commit fireballs.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

jng2058 posted:

Have you got a Wand of Monster Summoning? With the instant casting time, pop that right away to draw their melee attacks, then commit fireballs.

Hm, will try that next.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Am I unusual in finding rangers (except archers) kind of bad compared to fighters and paladins? Paladins aren't as powerful in melee as fighters at high levels, but they have a bunch of good unique abilities. Rangers can...talk to animals. Animals that are basically the weakest creatures in the game and won't last long against real monsters. Whoopdie-loving-doo. And this is compounded by the fact that they share the paladin's dreadfully slow EXP table (which slumps right at the beginning of BG2 so you spend the first half of the game as the lowest-level guy on your entire team).

PurplieNurplie
Jan 14, 2009
Rangers/Paladins are competent fighters that get some nice utility (Rangers get two free pips in dual wielding for DPS shenanigans and some cleric spells, Paladins get tons of stuff based on their kit,) so their value is based on this plus their ability to not immediately keel over in a fight. I'm finding CHARNAME Ranger pleasant and about as good as, say a Fighter or a Kitted Fighter through BG1 and SoD, but I could see how you would rather make a Kensai or a Berserker if you want to straight up paste dudes a bit better. Ranger's got a nice mix of both, I feel, especially as you get higher levels and they get HLAs and more spells to use for buffing or healing, makes them work as a multipurpose member of the party, which I feel is important for CHARNAME in particular.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
gently caress this Werewolf Bullshit.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Vanilla Rangers are alright, but there's really no reason not to choose a kit unless you're dual- or multiclassing. But then, that goes for most classes.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
I am going to keep this baby. I don't care if it's a werewolf baby. It's mine now.

Head Hit Keyboard
Oct 9, 2012

It must be fate that has brought us together after all these years.

Hollismason posted:

gently caress this Werewolf Bullshit.

Use the silver dagger and Kondar on your fighters, even if they aren't proficient in them.

Samuel Clemens posted:

Vanilla Rangers are alright, but there's really no reason not to choose a kit unless you're dual- or multiclassing. But then, that goes for most classes.

Hmmm... Now I'm curious what reasons, regardless of how little, there would be for not picking a kit.

Fighter: Grandmaster a ranged weapon while still being able to wear magic stuff. Only useful over Archer kit if you really want plate, want to dual class, or want to be a race that can't be a Ranger.
Paladin: Gets Lay on Hands and Ranged weapons.
Ranger: Can wear plate.
Thief: Most skillpoints and can still backstab
Cleric: Lol nope
Mage: Can get all spells and doesn't have to deal with wild surges
Druid: Can shapeshift and doesn't have a stat penalty?
Bard: ...Remove Fear song?
Sorcerer: More spells/day

Did I miss anything?

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

Woolie Wool posted:

yeah me too, but it works fine in bgee at least. i only found out about it a few weeks ago and tested it. don't know if its a beamdog thing or a 1998 original thing though. pretty sure it's not in bgt or tutu.

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
You know he's the villain, because he's got shifty eyes.
It doesn't work in Tutu but it worked in the original game.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

http://www.forgottenwars.com/bg1/ar2600.htm

Its listed on dudley, so Im inclined to think its real :D

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
The whole mystery island was really great, but seriously some of it was pretty bullshitty. I'm in Chapter 5 right now. Are there any other quests like that one? That was really cool. Felt like a DnD module.

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

"Your toy soldiers are not pigmented to my scrupulous standards. As a result, you are not worthy of my time. Good day sir"

Hollismason posted:

The whole mystery island was really great, but seriously some of it was pretty bullshitty. I'm in Chapter 5 right now. Are there any other quests like that one? That was really cool. Felt like a DnD module.

Thats because it's a whole extra add on pack, I.E. durlags tower and the werewolf island was an add on expansion to the base game. Neera's quest is pretty long in comparison to other characters class quests. Not sure if any others have quests as long as hers.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Hollismason posted:

If you havent done Durlag or Ice Island, try them out. They are hella fun, Im running Durlags even as we speak.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Which one is Ice Island? I did the get teleported to nowhere and kill bullshit wizards.

Everyone is level 6 / 7.

Immoen so far is pretty great. Be glad when her thief abilities come back though. She makes up for the whole Minsc friend not being able to cast charm.

Anyway to raise Minsc Dexterity , he needs the extra AC bonus.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Apr 17, 2016