Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

Cyberventurer posted:

This is only about 3 or 4 areas in but going to keep it spoilered just in case, but I'm having some trouble finding people to invade in the Watchdogs of Farron covenant. I'm level 30 with +4 regular items, but I almost never seem to find anybody to invade. I've been in this covenant starting at level 21 with +3 gear and only invaded 3 people total (the first two I lost connection before I could do anything). Am I just at an inappropriate level? Because I didn't think it would be this difficult to find bites only 5 days since the game's launch, so I don't know if it's just me or my connection or what.

+3 will already slow you down a little bit, +4 is too high for watchdog imo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Appoda
Oct 30, 2013

Boomstick Quaid posted:

You can just see the signs it won't let you summon at all if you're not embered. source: just tried

Aha, I see. I tried it once and saw a bunch of signs and went "huh, guess you can summon while unembered," and then proceeded to not summon anyone. Oh well, it would have been interesting if there was a way around the usual MP rules, but I reckon that would be a problem for invaders.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Platypus Farm posted:

after you talk to her twice in the catacombs IMMEDIATELY go kill horace in the smouldering lake to be sure you don't trigger her following him on accident.
Also, once Yuria shows up, just do the normal thing of talking to her frequently and nothing can really go sour.

I successfully got it by not visiting the smouldering lake, so I could honestly tell her that I didn't know where he was. She eventually moved on for me.

Also, note that there is one super-duper mondo important thing: When you talk to Anri in Irithyll, do not kill the assassin that's in the room with you. That ends the questline immediately.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

turtlecrunch posted:

When I did Anri's quest I killed Horace, went back up and told Anri but he was like "oh I'll go find him then :D" as if I had somehow left out the detail that he was totally dead. Then later there was a memorial where Horace had been with a prism stone and it was really cute/sad/awful, and then I found Anri in Irithyll and he was like "well I never found Horace". ???????

Anri seems very glitchy, shes straight up vanished in mine but nothing makes sense to explain why.

Platypus Farm
Jul 12, 2003

Francis is my name, and breeding is my game. All bow before the fertile smut-god!

RabidWeasel posted:

OK so just make sure I murder Horace straight away (managed fine on my first character) and talk to everyone? I assume that the assassin thing either doesn't happen on this questline or is not easily gently caress-upable? I haven't seen Yuria yet as I hosed up Yoel's quest on my first character.

I'll be super explicit:

Anri

Right, kill horace, talk to Anri twice in the catacombs. WHen you then see her in the church later on, just don't gently caress with statues. The assassin is disguised as a statue, so if you just leave them alone you won't mess up the quest. Then, her part will be done.

Yuria

after you take 5 dark signs from yoel, reload Firelink and he'll die and Yuria will be hanging out. Just exhaust her dialog and then go back every few bosses to keep exhausting it. After you "marry" Anri, talk to her one last time and she'll beg you to usurp the flame. After that, just complete the game and use the bonfire as normal and you'll get the usurp ending.

Hope that helps!

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime

Omi no Kami posted:

I successfully got it by not visiting the smouldering lake, so I could honestly tell her that I didn't know where he was. She eventually moved on for me.

Also, note that there is one super-duper mondo important thing: When you talk to Anri in Irithyll, do not kill the assassin that's in the room with you. That ends the questline immediately.

so for me, I beat wolnir and smouldering lake without encountering them.

However I just went back and did the catacombs, and now Horace and anri are in firelink.

Are they going to do their next things even though I already cleared the areas? (anri to catacombs, Horace to lake?)

The Skeleton King
Jul 16, 2011

Right now undead are at the top of my shit list. Undead are complete fuckers. Those geists are fuckers. Necromancers are fuckers. Necrosavants are big time fuckers. Skeletons aren't too bad except when they bleed everyone in the company. Zombos are at least not too bad.

Just beat both Dragonslayer Armor and King Oceros before getting kicked in the head by the Champ, who is now my favorite boss.

Also, I saw in a loading screen that the Drakeblood armor is somewhere in this game. I went to the place where you are supposed to find it but it wasn't there. I heard that it has something to do with a quest involving the crestfallen guy, but I have no clue if I can even do that now.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Platypus Farm posted:

I'll be super explicit:

Anri

Right, kill horace, talk to Anri twice in the catacombs. WHen you then see her in the church later on, just don't gently caress with statues. The assassin is disguised as a statue, so if you just leave them alone you won't mess up the quest. Then, her part will be done.

Yuria

after you take 5 dark signs from yoel, reload Firelink and he'll die and Yuria will be hanging out. Just exhaust her dialog and then go back every few bosses to keep exhausting it. After you "marry" Anri, talk to her one last time and she'll beg you to usurp the flame. After that, just complete the game and use the bonfire as normal and you'll get the usurp ending.

Hope that helps!

That's cool thanks! I don't really want to get spoiled this hard but I think I already broke at least 3 NPC questlines on my first character so I want to be sure I'm doing the right thing.

Platypus Farm
Jul 12, 2003

Francis is my name, and breeding is my game. All bow before the fertile smut-god!

Tabletops posted:

so for me, I beat wolnir and smouldering lake without encountering them.

However I just went back and did the catacombs, and now Horace and anri are in firelink.

Are they going to do their next things even though I already cleared the areas? (anri to catacombs, Horace to lake?)

Yeah you should be fine if they're still hanging out in firelink.

Boomstick Quaid
Jan 28, 2009

Help Im Alive posted:

Way of the Blue also gives you the Concord Kept things so you could try that instead I guess (I haven't tried either convenant so maybe it's just as bad idk)

Way of blue does not give you concords, blue sentinels does, but they use the same pool as darkmoons, so you won't get summoned any faster

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Dear idiots, stop using my sign at Vordt to try and get me to fight the other guy. He will one shot me and everyone else that you summon from down here.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
The weapon cleric's candlestick won't cast any spells whatsover. No miracles, sorceries or pyromancies. Help???

Boomstick Quaid
Jan 28, 2009

Robo Reagan posted:

Dear idiots, stop using my sign at Vordt to try and get me to fight the other guy. He will one shot me and everyone else that you summon from down here.

Actually swordmaster is a great summon against the dancer

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Platypus Farm posted:

Yeah you should be fine if they're still hanging out in firelink.

Yup, I'm pretty sure cleared or not makes no difference, you just have to be sure to talk to them in the right places, in the right order. http://www.usgamer.net/articles/dark-souls-3-how-to-get-the-best-ending is the walkthrough I used on advancing their plot, and it seemed to work. Scroll down to #4: The Lord of Hollows Ending, you're right at the "Be sure to speak with Anri twice during this first encounter." sentence.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Boomstick Quaid posted:

Way of blue does not give you concords, blue sentinels does, but they use the same pool as darkmoons, so you won't get summoned any faster

My bad, that's what I meant - I thought they were the same covenant for some reason.

Appoda
Oct 30, 2013

I'm seeing a lot of Yoel talk, and now I'm wondering if something I experienced was a bug.

I found the firekeeper soul and gave it to the firekeeper lady, but I never "teased out my true potential" or whatever, so I don't think there was anything to do with dark sigil removal. Yet, Yoel is still dead as a doornail, lying with his empty face firmly embedded into the floor. What gives? Does this gently caress up interaction with future NPCs?

Robo Reagan posted:

lol, is this the blue knight?

E: oh, future boss, gotcha

Boomstick Quaid posted:

I get bluecop summoned nigh-constantly at level 49 and +4 weapon level, especially to the Cathedral. I think I already have enough ears to max out devotion.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
So I finally got my rear end to Lothric Castle and uh... the red eyed knights here are three-shotting me with their shields. Why would you ramp up the damage that much, From. This is insane.

I finally got the really cool Dancer's swords and figured it's time I use something other than my straight swords but on these enemies those swords are useless :(

Your Computer fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Apr 16, 2016

Boomstick Quaid
Jan 28, 2009

Appoda posted:

I'm seeing a lot of Yoel talk, and now I'm wondering if something I experienced was a bug.

I found the firekeeper soul and gave it to the firekeeper lady, but I never "teased out my true potential" or whatever, so I don't think there was anything to do with dark sigil removal. Yet, Yoel is still dead as a doornail, lying with his empty face firmly embedded into the floor. What gives? Does this gently caress up interaction with future NPCs?

lol, is this the blue knight?

E: oh, future boss, gotcha

I get bluecop summoned nigh-constantly at level 49 and +4 weapon level, especially to the Cathedral. I think I already have enough ears to max out devotion.

god drat it i've never been summoned

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
So I just noticed the music changed in Firelink after Certain Items. Has this locked me into a "snuff the flame" ending? I'm getting that vibe from her.

Already planning my next character. What guys would you suggest as a decent, relatively versatile spear? Want to go shieldless but still have a decentish time in sunbroing and PVP.

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009
So I had to buy Dark Souls 3 twice last night because I'm an idiot that thought maybe, just maybe, It would run ok on my old PC (Core i5 760, 4gb RAM, GTX 560) Nope, it was a total slideshow even at low settings and 720p. I updated my video drivers beforehand too. Its weird because my system runs Dark Souls 2 flawlessly and I didnt 3 think would be that big of a leap in graphical requirements. So I ended up buying it for Xbox One. Does anyone play 3 with an old system like I have?

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Man I just steamrolled like four late game bosses in a row. drat I'm feeling good.

When this game rocks, it rocks.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

I'm sure that this got asked several times but the thread moves so fast. Will burning undead bone shards at firelink have the same effect as bonfire ascetics? I mean making the game more difficult while giving me a stronger estus.

Platypus Farm
Jul 12, 2003

Guillermus posted:

I'm sure that this got asked several times but the thread moves so fast. Will burning undead bone shards at firelink have the same effect as bonfire ascetics? I mean making the game more difficult while giving me a stronger estus.

No, just upgrades the estus.

Appoda
Oct 30, 2013

Boomstick Quaid posted:

god drat it i've never been summoned

To be honest, I've been mostly in the blue boy covenant ever since it became available, but it seems to me that I'm getting summoned way more often in the weapon+4 bracket. Like, sometimes it'll be an hour between match ups, as usual, or I'll get summoned three times in a row and I have to take the covenant sticker off to do IRL stuff.

It sux that you're not getting in on any of the fun, though -- after two games of dickass twinked out invaders, it's fun to see the shoe on the other foot, for once. Run, reds, run!

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Charliegrs posted:

So I had to buy Dark Souls 3 twice last night because I'm an idiot that thought maybe, just maybe, It would run ok on my old PC (Core i5 760, 4gb RAM, GTX 560) Nope, it was a total slideshow even at low settings and 720p. I updated my video drivers beforehand too. Its weird because my system runs Dark Souls 2 flawlessly and I didnt 3 think would be that big of a leap in graphical requirements. So I ended up buying it for Xbox One. Does anyone play 3 with an old system like I have?

Dark souls 2 was made for PS3/360 and 3 is made for newer consoles, of course it's going to be massive increase.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

After failing aldrich for a few hours because I can't deal with his bow attack and the almost guaranteed follow up soul spears, I tried to summon help, and it turns out trying to summon an enemy player causes the game to freeze forever. Is this a known thing, and are there any NPC summons for this? I couldn't see any signs that looked NPC-ish.

Krolm
Nov 10, 2004

friendly and non-threatening

Bleak Gremlin
I hosed up and took Crystal Hail (which turns out to be beyond useless) instead of the Rapier :sigh: is there any way to get this sword still in this run (through another player?) or am I forced to start over?

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

do rings that do stuff like "reduce spell casting time" and "boost spell duration" affect miracles/pyromancies? or is it strictly sorceries

Boomstick Quaid
Jan 28, 2009

Appoda posted:

To be honest, I've been mostly in the blue boy covenant ever since it became available, but it seems to me that I'm getting summoned way more often in the weapon+4 bracket. Like, sometimes it'll be an hour between match ups, as usual, or I'll get summoned three times in a row and I have to take the covenant sticker off to do IRL stuff.

It sux that you're not getting in on any of the fun, though -- after two games of dickass twinked out invaders, it's fun to see the shoe on the other foot, for once. Run, reds, run!

Yeah I'm in +7-9 and I think the majority of darkmoons are too but I think the majority of embered players with way of blue are in +4-6 right now, which means there is a huge queue of bluebros getting blue balled

Boomstick Quaid
Jan 28, 2009

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

do rings that do stuff like "reduce spell casting time" and "boost spell duration" affect miracles/pyromancies? or is it strictly sorceries

Pretty sure it's everything

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed

Azazell0 posted:

Any tips for the Crystal sage ? By the times the clones start showing up I'm always overwhelmed since there's so many things shooting at me and the camera controls are kinda rear end.

The one that shoots purple magic is the real one.

Bland
Aug 31, 2008

Winner Of The TRP I dont actually remember the contest im pretty high right now here's your venkys tag

MooCowlian posted:

After failing aldrich for a few hours because I can't deal with his bow attack and the almost guaranteed follow up soul spears, I tried to summon help, and it turns out trying to summon an enemy player causes the game to freeze forever. Is this a known thing, and are there any NPC summons for this? I couldn't see any signs that looked NPC-ish.

I don't know anything about freezes but I can give you a tip for dealing with the bow attack. The tactic I came up with that seemed to work really well is puttting a lot of distance between yourself and Aldrich when you see him pull out the bow and when the arrows start to get close sprint towards him in a zig zag pattern, keeping the camera focused on him so you can see what attack is coming.

A Magical Lamp
Aug 16, 2010
http://i.imgur.com/7dFX4FA.jpg

Fashion Soulsing it up.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?
Damnit I almost beat Old Donkey Kong first try but now I can't even get close.

Appoda
Oct 30, 2013

poptart_fairy posted:

Already planning my next character. What guys would you suggest as a decent, relatively versatile spear? Want to go shieldless but still have a decentish time in sunbroing and PVP.

Yorskha's spear is a SPEAR AND A HAMMER. I haven't personally used it since it's a special weapon and requires twinklies and can't be infused, but I like the looks of it. Unfortunately, you can't find it until you get to Christmasland, and iirc it has a Faith requirement. Unique special move that drains enemy Focus.

Red-hilted halberd isn't a spear, but has good range on a thrust and comes out at a decent pace. Since it's a halberd, it deals higher poise damage than most ordinary swords, so you can poiselock big guys despite the slower attack speed. Also has a rad 1HR2 that sweeps a very wide area. It's heavy though at eight units. Can be found early.

Partizan can be found early, and has both a poke and a sweep. It's a little longer than an ordinary spear.

Pike is long and can get quite a lot of distance with its R2, but it has no sweep and is just a little slower than most other spears, which are already a bit underwhelming. You can get one off of the assholes with the stakes in the marsh.

The treeballs boss soul can be used to make a wooden stake. I think it's a little longer than a starting spear, but not by much. It has an innate poison damage modifier.

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID
Uh oh, I think I just screwed myself out of the 'best' ending. Is this unrecoverable or can I keep going with this plot? (Major Spoilers)

I got all 5 sigils from Yoel, Yuria is around. I've been following Anri's questline, and saw them in the Boreal Valley bonfire (I killed Horace in the Smouldering Lake). The note said to kill the Assassin, so I did, and now Yuria won't talk to me. Don't I need her for the wedding? I haven't killed the Pontiff yet, should I have done that before speaking with Anri at the Boreal Valley bonfire? I mean If I hosed myself out of the true ending, I might as well just unhollow now.

Boomstick Quaid
Jan 28, 2009

Fhqwhgads posted:

Uh oh, I think I just screwed myself out of the 'best' ending. Is this unrecoverable or can I keep going with this plot? (Major Spoilers)

I got all 5 sigils from Yoel, Yuria is around. I've been following Anri's questline, and saw them in the Boreal Valley bonfire (I killed Horace in the Smouldering Lake). The note said to kill the Assassin, so I did, and now Yuria won't talk to me. Don't I need her for the wedding? I haven't killed the Pontiff yet, should I have done that before speaking with Anri at the Boreal Valley bonfire? I mean If I hosed myself out of the true ending, I might as well just unhollow now.

You hosed up

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime
[img][/img]

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

I have been having trouble finding Sirris. She showed up in Firelink and said "I don't think we'll get much out of fraternization" or somesuch, and I haven't seen her since. Does she come back after certain events?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boomstick Quaid
Jan 28, 2009

Lotish posted:

I have been having trouble finding Sirris. She showed up in Firelink and said "I don't think we'll get much out of fraternization" or somesuch, and I haven't seen her since. Does she come back after certain events?

She'll come back when you find a certain set of ashes