Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

dropkickpikachu posted:

Jesus I thought you were joking.

I'm just going to pretend he's joking? And then promptly forget this guy exists, I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
This is the internet so I'm going to assume he got a mail-order bride solely to always have someone to play war games with.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Mega64 posted:

This is the internet so I'm going to assume he got a mail-order bride solely to always have someone to play war games with.

at that point you may as well order more than one

The General
Mar 4, 2007

I don't think Calandale lives in Utah.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Reason posted:

at that point you may as well order more than one

At last, my dreams of playing the Campaign for North Africa are within reach.

radlum
May 13, 2013
I'm torn between getting FFG Warhammer Quest or Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, since I'm interested in an adventure-like boardgame; which is the more interesting game?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

radlum posted:

I'm torn between getting FFG Warhammer Quest or Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, since I'm interested in an adventure-like boardgame; which is the more interesting game?

Pathfinder is poo poo. Warhammer Card Game is good but the box is light on content until the expansions come out.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.

The General posted:

I remember when this list popped up. I assumed he never had a mail order wife and it's just Calandale character thing.

Though these days I am unsure. Is there other evidence of this wife?

It's sorta confirmed by a bgg AMA kind of thing.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Hell yeah organized as gently caress.

:negative:

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -
bummer.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

SynthOrange posted:

Hell yeah organized as gently caress.

:negative:

Don't worry, it's a known fact that if you store Caverna in decent Planos the lid will rise at least a centimetre unless you take out a couple of the player boards.

(Bloody imgur.au)

Jedit fucked around with this message at 09:32 on Apr 16, 2016

bobvonunheil
Mar 18, 2007

Board games and tea

Tekopo posted:

I had the same view when I watched the review, but mostly I think it's a mixture of length + complexity + not enough visual stimulus. Personally I love looking back on my civilizations in TtA and seeing what I developed/the wonders I have/etc, but SUSD tends towards much more towards visual spectacles and TtA just doesn't deliver in that regard. Have a look at the Dungeon Lords review from them as well.

Also they probably played 4P games of TtA. Never play 4P games of TtA, old or new.

The only way I can recommend playing four player TtA is if you're doing it online, and don't mind the game lasting for weeks or a month or two. I'm also playing an interesting 2v2 variant, where we can only propose agreements with our 'ally' and wars/aggressions against our 'opponents'; it's working out pretty interestingly.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Bottom Liner posted:

Pathfinder is poo poo. Warhammer Card Game is good but the box is light on content until the expansions come out.

Pathfinder is getting an iOS app soon so it'd be better to play it that way since that game is crazy fiddly (and it still likely won't be great but it'll certainly be significantly less of a chore to play).

radlum
May 13, 2013
My store doesn't have WHQ any more and I'm starting to doubt about getting Pathfinder. I think I'll get Mage Knight or Descent.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Get Mage Knight. Try to find Lost Legion expansion too while you still can.

The End
Apr 16, 2007

You're welcome.
So, the latest SUSD takes a swing at Brass and, shock horror, they say 'it's good, but we don't recommend it', whilst also taking a pot shot at Dominant Species and Twilight Struggle in the same breath.

At least they couch it in terms of 'Our viewers wouldn't want this' but bloody hell...

http://www.shutupandsitdown.com/blog/post/review-brass/

Foehammer
Nov 8, 2005

We are invincible.

I store most of my Caverna resources in a skinny plano (Plano 2-3601-00), and the box closes flush: http://imgur.com/a/qkFr0

e: the other plano is a 2-3600-01

Foehammer fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Apr 16, 2016

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
Being an @HeavyCardboard fan, I do not waste time with SUSD. I'm sure they are bringing thousands to the hobby, but I'm old and cranky now and only want to find games that I want to play :).

Mega64
May 23, 2008

It sounds like SUSD's tastes have moved away from this thread's general tastes, which is fine and not really that big a deal. Everyone can like different games.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

The End posted:

So, the latest SUSD takes a swing at Brass and, shock horror, they say 'it's good, but we don't recommend it', whilst also taking a pot shot at Dominant Species and Twilight Struggle in the same breath.

At least they couch it in terms of 'Our viewers wouldn't want this' but bloody hell...

http://www.shutupandsitdown.com/blog/post/review-brass/

They also took a shot at the people who might like Brass and an implied shot at Power Grid.

Banana Man
Oct 2, 2015

mm time 2 gargle piss and shit

Mega64 posted:

It sounds like SUSD's tastes have moved away from this thread's general tastes, which is fine and not really that big a deal. Everyone can like different games.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Some Numbers posted:

They also took a shot at the people who might like Brass and an implied shot at Power Grid.

In that they recommended Power Grid as, in their view, a better game than Brass? Odd definition of "taking a shot" you've got there, pal.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

jng2058 posted:

In that they recommended Power Grid as, in their view, a better game than Brass? Odd definition of "taking a shot" you've got there, pal.

No, they recommended Power Grid as Brass with less rules and then said "if you want something that's actually fun, Concordia."

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Played Rebellion because I found it for cheap and split it with my friend. I kinda liked it, but the objectives are designed badly IMO and the combat is a mess. It was still enjoyable and had some memorable moments, but I wouldn't recommend buying it at full price.

Also, because I went to a war gaming convention, it had a stand from the guild ball guys and they had the Dark Souls demos and I asked the guys about combat resolution. Guys, it involves dice. The basis of it is that you have stamina that you fill up to perform attacks, and damage is on the same track and I think they affect each other. You have two types of dice with red having blank to 3 and blue being blank to two. The way attacks work is that you draw a card from the enemy deck which shows how much damage they do and which facing they attack. If your character is in that facing you roll to avoid damage. If you block with your shield you roll your strength stat and remove the damage you roll. If you attempt to dodge you roll your dexterity stat and if you roll equal or above the damage you avoid all damage but if you roll lower, you take full damage.

The AI attack cards also have a facing in which the enemy is more vulnerable. You can attack as many times as you want but it builds up stamina which you can only recover by resting. Damage is recovered using the Estus flask but that costs one stamina to use.

I think the idea is that you learn how the enemy boss attacks and just stay on the sides where he does less damage.nalso if you did you go back to the bonfire and all opponents respawn, so it is very much like having to do something over and over until you win.

100% not buying/KSing the game.

garthoneeye
Feb 18, 2013

Some Numbers posted:

No, they recommended Power Grid as Brass with less rules and then said "if you want something that's actually fun, Concordia."

Luckily, fun is a useless concept when talking about board games.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

It is kind of funny seeing them so morose while playing Brass. You just need to find people that can play serious games and still get excited/joke around with them :v:

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Hahaha: "Younger games, better games will always come to replace you"

Cosmic Encounter, 2nd place in SUSD games of the year 2015.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Tekopo posted:

Hahaha: "Younger games, better games will always come to replace you"

Cosmic Encounter, 2nd place in SUSD games of the year 2015.

Yeah, I had the same reaction.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Tekopo posted:

Played Rebellion because I found it for cheap and split it with my friend. I kinda liked it, but the objectives are designed badly IMO and the combat is a mess. It was still enjoyable and had some memorable moments, but I wouldn't recommend buying it at full price.

Also, because I went to a war gaming convention, it had a stand from the guild ball guys and they had the Dark Souls demos and I asked the guys about combat resolution. Guys, it involves dice. The basis of it is that you have stamina that you fill up to perform attacks, and damage is on the same track and I think they affect each other. You have two types of dice with red having blank to 3 and blue being blank to two. The way attacks work is that you draw a card from the enemy deck which shows how much damage they do and which facing they attack. If your character is in that facing you roll to avoid damage. If you block with your shield you roll your strength stat and remove the damage you roll. If you attempt to dodge you roll your dexterity stat and if you roll equal or above the damage you avoid all damage but if you roll lower, you take full damage.

The AI attack cards also have a facing in which the enemy is more vulnerable. You can attack as many times as you want but it builds up stamina which you can only recover by resting. Damage is recovered using the Estus flask but that costs one stamina to use.

I think the idea is that you learn how the enemy boss attacks and just stay on the sides where he does less damage.nalso if you did you go back to the bonfire and all opponents respawn, so it is very much like having to do something over and over until you win.

100% not buying/KSing the game.

drat that sounds awful

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Some Numbers posted:

Yeah, I had the same reaction.
Don't get me wrong, they should place CE that high if they like the game, and if they think it is that good. I just think generalising like they did for Brass is dishonest, when I'm pretty sure if you used the same argument against CE, they would have extenuating circumstances.

And honestly, there are extenuating circumstances for me loving Brass. So in the end if is a matter of taste, which they even acknowledge in the Brass review.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -
CE only gets ranked high because people can't seem to tell the difference between things they like and things that are good.

Brass is a good game that I hate.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Broken Loose posted:

CE only gets ranked high because people can't seem to tell the difference between things they like and things that are good.

Or people assume that there is no objective criteria for a "good" game. Saying a game is good/bad is just as subjective as saying it is fun/unfun.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.
Bloose, when was the last time you liked a game?

Self-made doesn't count.

MissMarple
Aug 26, 2008

:ms:

Tekopo posted:

You roll to avoid damage.
100% authentic Dark Souls.

Blamestorm
Aug 14, 2004

We LOL at death! Watch us LOL. Love the LOL.
I really felt with both their Through the Ages and Brass reviews they hit a strategic difficulty wall and couldn't push through - maybe not playing with the right group. Both are classic designs but require a few games to really understand, particularly Brass. The length of Through the Ages is really going to be problematic for a lot of people but on the other hand when you do feel like something that long it's great - it has a niche. But fair enough. Brass, on the other hand, is an immaculately balanced very brutal machine that is an all time classic. It's probably Martin Wallace's best game and deserves to be up in the all time hall of fame like Puerto Rico, Caylus, Agricola etc. It has a strong theme well supported by the mechanics (yes, with a couple of fiddly rules, but you can play the streamlined version in age of industry) but most importantly is highly interactive and every turn counts. You can't script beyond the first turn because everything depends on other players, but having an adaptive strategy is still crucial to success. Brass is a rare game worth dozens of plays. I just flat out don't believe they played it the 3-4 times for the real heart of the game to emerge. And unlike TTA it's not that long to play. It also really isn't that complex compared to a lot of other Euros or FFG games. It IS hard, though. But that's the drat point of brass! It has a niche!

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I'm kind of interested in New TtA because you guys said they removed the devastating combos, but my experience with that game has always been someone getting a runaway lead midway through and then the second most powerful player just feeds off the weakest because holy poo poo are culture wars disgusting late game. TtA has no catch up or ease off mechanism, you just fall in the deep end and have to gasp for air in a game that lasts 2 hours minimum and that's no fun. If TtA let you build your poo poo in peace while the giants brawled I'd be fine but it's just an rear end reaming until the finish.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

Rutibex posted:

Or people assume that there is no objective criteria for a "good" game. Saying a game is good/bad is just as subjective as saying it is fun/unfun.

Bullshit. This is anti-intellectual as gently caress and poisonous to discussion. There is objective criteria for what defines a bad game, therefore there is objective criteria for what defines a good game. You're a scumbag if you're going to try to convince people that a cupcake made out of razor blades is somehow subjectively good to eat. gently caress you.

Lichtenstein posted:

Bloose, when was the last time you liked a game?

Self-made doesn't count.

I was just gushing about 1v1 Coup a page or two ago! The last (as in newest released) game I liked was Tragedy Looper, and to say I like it is a massive understatement. I love Tragedy Looper. It's not perfect but I absolutely love it. The last (as in newest played) game I liked was Keyflower, and again I really, really like Keyflower. I actually have a pretty expansive list of games that I openly like.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

MissMarple posted:

100% authentic Dark Souls.
:golfclap:

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Broken Loose posted:

I was just gushing about 1v1 Coup a page or two ago! The last (as in newest released) game I liked was Tragedy Looper, and to say I like it is a massive understatement. I love Tragedy Looper. It's not perfect but I absolutely love it. The last (as in newest played) game I liked was Keyflower, and again I really, really like Keyflower. I actually have a pretty expansive list of games that I openly like.

You don't like Codenames?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

Some Numbers posted:

You don't like Codenames?

gently caress, I forgot about Codenames.

I liked Codenames but I burn out on it super quick. It's really good, but I don't love it.