Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Mr.PayDay posted:

Any help is appreciated.

Cathedral is a dead end after you kill the boss. Go back to the Woods and look for another path.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bland
Aug 31, 2008

Winner Of The TRP I dont actually remember the contest im pretty high right now here's your venkys tag

Jay Rust posted:

I could use some Faith weapon tips. This Lightning Astora Greatsword +6 I made is hugely disappointing. I've been using the Deep Axe for pretty much the entire game, waiting for a good Faith weapon to drop, but there just don't seem to be any, no boss weapons with pure Faith scaling, nothing. Anyone know here I might find a few? I just beat the Dancer, the next area is kicking my rear end, send help!

The highest Faith scaling I've seen so far is a Lightning Mace and Lightning Partizan, both are A scaling. Both are also not terribly exciting weapons.

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

This Spider Shield is pretty neat looking.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

Mr.PayDay posted:

RANT POSTING INC

After two days of playing I love the game for almost all aspects.
But what I really hate is the lack of guidance. I finished the Cathedral and I am nonstop wandering around and looking for the "next" way to go. I am okay with all that try and error stuff and exploring is 50% of the fun for me, but FINALLY you should get some ingame hints, and I am not speaking about MMO quest arrows.
My playing timeframe of 2 hours today was almost completely wasted for the search of local progress. What am I supposed to do now? I even went back to Graveyard just in front of the Cathedreal area outside, the Halfway Fortress and Crucifixion Woods ...where is the path that I missed?

Oh and by the way, I posted that pic earlier:

When I explored the Cathedral again I found that funny looking Michelin-Man-Knight, and when I was on the other raised Pillar-Walkway stuff....on the middle of it he "drove" that down and telling me sth like "have fun with the giant"...which I already killed...he moaned and told me I had no honor..and then he disapperead.....so how do I re-raise this again, there is only the lever for that stuff I showed in the picture.

I do love me some difficult games where I have to work, and I now this is :darksouls: but the amount of stuff I might have already missed and the lack of area guidance just to run almost 2 hours around of clueless exploring because the Cathedral is SO loving BIG and obviously having missed the "next part" to continue the game makes me loving mad now. :ssj: I refuse to use the wiki or youtube guides and need this place for some Goons listening to my venting, thanks. Any help is appreciated.

When you went to the forest with the crabs, you should say oh hey I should go see what's beyond those crabs. There is another place to explore and what not.

Enjoy it when you get there. :v:

That is your next spot to go.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

NESguerilla posted:

I realize this but I absolutely cannot avoid getting cursed when they are at around 25% Heath. At the end when the room turns black I can't cut through the mob in time to not get cursed. Even with the black pellet. I am at a total loss at how to beat this because there seems to be no way to avoid the buildup.

I didn't know they even had curse.

Nuggan
Jul 17, 2006

Always rolling skulls.
Nameless King is the first boss that has given me trouble in a while. I can get his 2nd stage down to a sliver of health and then I get speared.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I'm not greedy I'd just like to have a dollar for every soul I've lost running to my bloodstain in this series. (another 100k down the drain..)

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Boomstick Quaid posted:

Did you get the weapon on the second story of the pontiff bonfire building? It scales with faith I'm not sure if it's good though

Could you be more specific? I can't remember! :(

Ormi
Feb 7, 2005

B-E-H-A-V-E
Arrest us!

Zombies' Downfall posted:

I mean Yuria's working for Kaathe, and that's exactly what the Dark Lord ending in Dark Souls 1 was: believing that the true nature of man and source of human power was immortal, undying insanity because a snake with horse teeth and a mustache told you so.

Why the heck would you trust her

I interpreted the Dark Lord ending of the first game to be less about embracing the mindlessness of Hollowing and more the dog-eat-dog side of undeath, reflected in the Darkwraiths and tidbits about Carim. Humanity concentrates into fewer and fewer hands, and you're at the top. With the way that humanity seems to warp the body (Four Kings, Oolacile, Manus), I would also guess that eventually the survivors of the age of dark go on to become something akin to the everlasting dragons, just to tie the cyclical nature of the world together. It's not pretty, but it has to happen eventually.

Ormi fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Apr 16, 2016

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
I'm running a luck/faith bleed build and I maxed out (NPC quest reward)Anri's Straight Sword and it's OK for PvE but blessed is pretty bad and I can't imagine using it for PvP. I have a hollow warden twinblades that a reddit thread suggested but I haven't had any success with it. Is there any reason to do a bleed infusion over a hollow infusion if you have high luck? Carthus Rouge is insanely good on even non-inherent bleed fast weapons but I don't know how much bleed the infusion adds. Also I'd like any other recommendations for a bleed build. I know Corvian Greathscythe was mentioned and I'm about to go farm that.

Platypus Farm
Jul 12, 2003

Francis is my name, and breeding is my game. All bow before the fertile smut-god!

Shindragon posted:

Funny thing about what's his face.

Kill Yuria and she goes oh Kaathe I fail you, so yeah only time she brings it up. :v:

edit: Considering the optional boss...

Am I the only kinda glad they decided to nip the bud and that hey this dude was Gwyn's son and Solarie was just a dude obsessed with the Sun and not the God of war? Also I like how they let you find Orenstein's body and it's like ah, he got his rear end kicked trying to take on Gwyn's son. Welp.

Yeah those were two of my favorite callbacks/tie-ups.

From a mechanical standpoint, I think this game is pretty goddamn close to flawless. There were no throw-away poo poo zones, only a couple of dumb gimmick bosses, and I felt like the challenge of each area was appropriate and enjoyable.

But from a story telling standpoint, what the gently caress was going on? I mean I get it, it's the third in a series and all that. Compared to the other two games though, this one just sorta throws everything out there and leaves the strings laying all over the place. To me, it seemed like the only real conclusions we reached were on Gwyn, his first-born, the fate of the gods, and............ uh............ like we still don't know anything about the nature of the flame, we still don't really know what undeath is, or how it spreads from place to place... or if it even does. We don't know anything about the timeline except "this is a long loving time after DS1"

Don't get me wrong, I loved it and I'm going to play through it several times, but I think the one major knock against this installment is the narrative feels like it's just flapping in the wind. I'm someone who likes open ended stories and really likes the obtuse, inference-based style these games have, but this one I don't think did very much in that respect.

Boomstick Quaid
Jan 28, 2009

Jay Rust posted:

Could you be more specific? I can't remember! :(

It's called the golden ritual spear... it's half spear half catalyst that makes sorceries scale with faith, it's weird

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
I agree that DkS1 makes more sense and is more cohesive, but Dark Souls 2's story was completely bewildering and had a negligible relationship to the first game especially prior to the DLC being finished

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Boomstick Quaid posted:

It's called the golden ritual spear... it's half spear half catalyst that makes sorceries scale with faith, it's weird

Ah yeah. It's really niche, but it sure does look cool

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
Is there some secret trick to getting invaded? I haven't gotten a single invasion from another player in my 25 hours of play. I invade quite a bit, I'm usually human, I'm using the dried fingers often, but still not a single invasion.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Lakbay posted:

I'm running a luck/faith bleed build and I maxed out (NPC quest reward)Anri's Straight Sword and it's OK for PvE but blessed is pretty bad and I can't imagine using it for PvP. I have a hollow warden twinblades that a reddit thread suggested but I haven't had any success with it. Is there any reason to do a bleed infusion over a hollow infusion if you have high luck? Carthus Rouge is insanely good on even non-inherent bleed fast weapons but I don't know how much bleed the infusion adds. Also I'd like any other recommendations for a bleed build. I know Corvian Greathscythe was mentioned and I'm about to go farm that.

The whole point of Anri's sword is the fact that you can totally skip str/dex and still get good physical damage, though I think if you go crazy with stats and go like 40 str/dex/faith/luck it probably hits really hard? You can buff it btw, if you just assumed the blessing means that it's unbuffable.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
I am totally proud of myself for figuring out the illusionary doors at the Basilisks in Smouldering Lake (I sure hope they're just one place there so people know where I mean) without any signs to help at all. Despite the fact that the item had a conspicuous lack of any visible approach which made it kinda obvious, haha. Also, I'm at +5 Estus and found another 2 Bone Dusts on my way down here, you sure find a lot of these compared to in 1/2.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
Are you farming souls for levels? I get invaded alot with world wide on but that's because I only use the soul items found on the ground and what monsters give me. I die an average amount and lose an average amount of souls so I'm pretty sure I'm the "expected" levels of the areas.

Mr.PayDay
Jan 2, 2004
life is short - play hard
@Shindragon and Zombies Downfall:

omfg :bang: Now THAT took 10 minutes.... thanks for the help lads, that saved my night (knight, haha!) as I was to give up....I went back to the suggested Crucifixion Woods and just kept going "left" and now found the Farron Keep waypoint.... :ms:
My wife does understand that I gotta take some more souls now. :buddy:

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Is there an Item discovery set? So far I've recognized the Crystal Sage Rapier, the Gold Covetous Ring, so I'm trying to get Item Discovery Armor.

Also, is there the set of favor in this game?

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!

RabidWeasel posted:

The whole point of Anri's sword is the fact that you can totally skip str/dex and still get good physical damage, though I think if you go crazy with stats and go like 40 str/dex/faith/luck it probably hits really hard? You can buff it btw, if you just assumed the blessing means that it's unbuffable.

I get that and I buff Anri's Sword all the time but I thought the whole point of a Luck build was to utilize the increased bleed chance and Anri's doesn't have inherent bleed while there's a bunch with inherent that you can still infuse and put rouge on. It's a great sword and really good for PvE, but I'm trying to proc bleed on people in PvP.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
how the heck do you deal with the two giant crocodile wolf things before the Aldritch Faithful covenant? Even fighting one at a time I get eaten in very short order.

Stokes
Jun 13, 2003

Maybe Kris can come in, and we can throw M-80s at his asshole.
The game is telling me to extinguish 3 flames to join Farron's Legion. I am at the swamp and see flames but do not see a way to extinguish them. Am I being too literal?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Regy Rusty posted:

I didn't know they even had curse.

Yeah they are nigh on loving impossible if you wait long enough as they curse the entire room.

It turned out my sword just had garbage crowd control. Switching back to my old sword made them a piece of cake. I feel like a dumbass for not doing that earlier.

On that note, broadswords are absolute poo poo.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Stokes posted:

The game is telling me to extinguish 3 flames to join Farron's Legion. I am at the swamp and see flames but do not see a way to extinguish them. Am I being too literal?

The Flames you want to extinguish while ARE literal flames, are more ceremonial.

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

Stokes posted:

I made the same mistake. There's alters you'll find with smaller, goblet flames that you get a button prompt to extinguish.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
Where would people invade the most around soul level 39?

Nuggan
Jul 17, 2006

Always rolling skulls.
I finally got you Nameless King . That was a really fun boss.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Stokes posted:

look up and investigate some of the towers that have flames on them, there should be something you can interact with there

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
Trying to get host to understand they need to take out the torch to get rid of leeches:

1. Drop torch on the ground
2. Use "HEY!" emote over and over again while host ignores you to fight the respawning zombie combo monsters
3. When host finally picks up torch, the leeches have fallen off naturally and when they use the torch nothing happens
4. They get hit again later
5. Chase them around using pyro hand R2, great combustion, etc on them
6. Host runs out of estus flasks
7. Host dies

A job well done.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

Well I found the dungeons. :stare:

Dark Souls games don't usually get to me with the horror aspect but gently caress this place it's unnerving as hell.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

The Iron Rose posted:

how the heck do you deal with the two giant crocodile wolf things before the Aldritch Faithful covenant? Even fighting one at a time I get eaten in very short order.

run away from them till you get to the fat guy and very quickly join the covenant

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Can't you duplicate proof of Concord items? It's a droppable item so you drop it for a friend, reload your save off a USB and repeat until you both have 30.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
Two things:

1) The spaghetti and worm monsters in the Cathedral seem to have some kind of "super bleed." Much like Frenzy in Bloodborne, it keeps building long after I get hit...like...WAY too long. As in, the meter fills two and a half times. I'm guessing if I was nude with no bleed resist, it would be 3. The gently caress is going on? The merchant lady in Firelink isn't selling me any anti-bleed items, so I have to waste 2 Estus gulps from getting hit once. Surely there's a way to stop it from building up?

2) Speaking of the Cathedral, I'm supposed to meet Patches there, but he isn't showing up. I leave the bonfire next to Rasaria, and he should be near the lever for the bridge above the giants, right? And he then sends me back down to th em if I walk across it? He's not there. Did I mess up by killing the giants already?

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Ineffiable posted:

Can't you duplicate proof of Concord items? It's a droppable item so you drop it for a friend, reload your save off a USB and repeat until you both have 30.

That would depend on how willing you are to risk From thinking your save data is, ahem, invalid.

Platypus Farm
Jul 12, 2003

Francis is my name, and breeding is my game. All bow before the fertile smut-god!

Zombies' Downfall posted:

I agree that DkS1 makes more sense and is more cohesive, but Dark Souls 2's story was completely bewildering and had a negligible relationship to the first game especially prior to the DLC being finished

Oh yeah you're right. I'd forgotten how much of a clusterfuck the story of vanilla DS2 is.

I wish they'd tied the side stories/side characters to covenants. That way the gameplay would be streamlined (instead of finding 40 things, just find 20 and the NPCs associated will be together with the covenant) and the stories would be better tended. I know covenants are generally PVP or co-op things but they could have absolutely done a lot more with them narrative-wise which would have helped the general wad of poo poo the game throws at you.

It didn't bother me at all while playing, but in retrospect, I'm getting more negative towards the story presentation in this one. I think that the devs felt some kind of pressure to throw in every single thing they could think of from the series, but in many (most, I'd argue) cases, it's done without any real reason. Sometimes, this could lead to really fun discoveries for new players. Like say someone gets to the archdrake area, finds The Rock on top of that platform and wonders "who the gently caress is that?" Then they read about him and learn all the back lore. That's a really neat way to tie things together. That's great environmental story telling and immersion into the fictional world.

The covenants though, are largely just... there. Some makes sense - the watchdogs of Farron - whereas others are just there because they were bad rear end in the past. Don't get me wrong, I loved all the fan service and throwbacks. I just think if they took a while longer to really noodle through how they wanted to present the story, it could have been a lot more impressive.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Fucks sake you can't even backstab people chugging estus in this game.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

DrBouvenstein posted:

Two things:

1) The spaghetti and worm monsters in the Cathedral seem to have some kind of "super bleed." Much like Frenzy in Bloodborne, it keeps building long after I get hit...like...WAY too long. As in, the meter fills two and a half times. I'm guessing if I was nude with no bleed resist, it would be 3. The gently caress is going on? The merchant lady in Firelink isn't selling me any anti-bleed items, so I have to waste 2 Estus gulps from getting hit once. Surely there's a way to stop it from building up?

turtlecrunch posted:

Trying to get host to understand they need to take out the torch to get rid of leeches:

1. Drop torch on the ground
2. Use "HEY!" emote over and over again while host ignores you to fight the respawning zombie combo monsters
3. When host finally picks up torch, the leeches have fallen off naturally and when they use the torch nothing happens
4. They get hit again later
5. Chase them around using pyro hand R2, great combustion, etc on them
6. Host runs out of estus flasks
7. Host dies

A job well done.

Platypus Farm
Jul 12, 2003

Ineffiable posted:

Since the fire in Yharnam, flames have been seen as a way to ritually cleanse the plague of beasthood.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

turtlecrunch posted:

run away from them till you get to the fat guy and very quickly join the covenant

If you do that you don't get the Ring of Favor and Protection.