Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

These two are too stupid to live. Why the gently caress would the IRS call you, from a number showing as 911 no less, and threaten to arrest you, immediately or not?

I was getting calls at home and at work by those guys, actually. I called them back so many times that they were hanging up on ME. They gave it up when I told them I'd stop if they loaded 300 bucks on a greendot card to pay their fine for illegally calling me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.
Tax guys genuinely act weird as poo poo. I got in trouble recently by closing the door on some "tax men" that were acting super-shifty. Turns out they were tax men... There was a problem with our taxes (an error). No idea why their first idea was to turn up on our doorstep without writing or phoning first.

olylifter
Sep 13, 2007

I'm bad with money and you have an avatar!
http://globalnews.ca/news/2636187/ontario-woman-defrauded-of-more-than-12k-in-itunes-gift-cards-from-cra-scammers/

On Monday, staff at a Walmart in Bowmanville called police after seeing a “confused” elderly woman purchasing a large amount of iTunes gift cards.
A police officer who was coincidentally already inside the store then came to the woman’s assistance and stopped her before she had passed on the serial numbers to the scammers.

Biggest headline in this for me is that 66 is apparently elderly now.

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib

NancyPants posted:

These two are too stupid to live. Why the gently caress would the IRS call you, from a number showing as 911 no less, and threaten to arrest you, immediately or not?

I was getting calls at home and at work by those guys, actually. I called them back so many times that they were hanging up on ME. They gave it up when I told them I'd stop if they loaded 300 bucks on a greendot card to pay their fine for illegally calling me.

I once got one of those tax scam calls, I told them I'd give them the bank account information to get the money and then started saying random numbers for, I poo poo you not, 6 straight minutes. Around the 30 second mark, they interrupted and said "This is a very long number are you sure this is your bank account number?" I gave them some bullshit about how it was a Swiss bank account and they're the oldest in the world so they are very long. All in a Latka-from-Taxi voice.

Around 6 minutes I just stopped bullshitting and told them to gently caress themselves. I really should have switched on a camera and recorded it for YouTube posterity just to see how long they would sit there, presumably typing these numbers into a notepad file?

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

NancyPants posted:

I don't know how many times it has to be repeated that the IRS WILL NEVER CALL YOU WITH OUT OF THE BLUE. I constantly repeat this to my relatives to ensure they don't fall for this poo poo. If the IRS wants to talk to you for realsies, they send a letter.

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015

Tigntink posted:

I don't know how many times it has to be repeated that the IRS WILL NEVER CALL YOU WITH OUT OF THE BLUE. I constantly repeat this to my relatives to ensure they don't fall for this poo poo. If the IRS wants to talk to you for realsies, they send a letter.

Uh-uh. I actually had some tax guys turn up on my doorstep unannounced as I just said. (State tax not IRS). And they acted really squirrelly so I assumed they were scammers. Turns out tax guys are just socially inept. I told them to send whatever it was in writing and get off my doorstep. They slapped a lien on without telling me. I found out only because i had a watch on my credit. At no point was any letter sent. This is why scammers can do what they do; the real tax guys act much the same.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
Holy poo poo are we in medieval england? Actual physical tax collectors?

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug

BarbarianElephant posted:

Uh-uh. I actually had some tax guys turn up on my doorstep unannounced as I just said. (State tax not IRS). And they acted really squirrelly so I assumed they were scammers. Turns out tax guys are just socially inept. I told them to send whatever it was in writing and get off my doorstep. They slapped a lien on without telling me. I found out only because i had a watch on my credit. At no point was any letter sent. This is why scammers can do what they do; the real tax guys act much the same.

I too quote posts about one thing, say they're wrong, then talk about something different.

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015

pr0zac posted:

I too quote posts about one thing, say they're wrong, then talk about something different.

My basic point being "don't assume it's a scam just because it's weird." Real tax guys are weird. They don't always communicate via official letter. Sometimes they do phone you or even turn up physically.

I shut the door on them because I'd heard people like you saying that tax men only communicate via official letter and everything else is a scam. I could have saved myself hundreds of dollars and much stress by knowing sometimes they *do* phone or turn up.

BarbarianElephant fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Apr 17, 2016

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Or you could live in a state without state income taxes and not own a house so you don't have property taxes either :c00lbert:

Dogcow
Jun 21, 2005

Parallel Paraplegic posted:

Or you could live in a state without state income taxes and not own a house so you don't have property taxes either :c00lbert:

Live in Vancouver WA, work from your apartment for a company in Seattle, buy everything across the Oregon border in Portland. No state income tax, property tax or sales tax, it has to be like the Contra code for US taxes.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

It's worth mentioning that one of the provisions in a recent bill that was passed by congress last year (I think it may have been something federal budget-related?) was a mandate that the IRS now use only independent (as in non-governmental) tax collectors from now on. poo poo's about to get wacky :allears:

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

Dogcow posted:

Live in Vancouver WA, work from your apartment for a company in Seattle, buy everything across the Oregon border in Portland. No state income tax, property tax or sales tax, it has to be like the Contra code for US taxes.

Don't forget to pay your Washington state use tax. Yes that is a thing.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

My basic point being "don't assume it's a scam just because it's weird." Real tax guys are weird. They don't always communicate via official letter. Sometimes they do phone you or even turn up physically.

I shut the door on them because I'd heard people like you saying that tax men only communicate via official letter and everything else is a scam. I could have saved myself hundreds of dollars and much stress by knowing sometimes they *do* phone or turn up.

This makes no sense. A single appearance in person and you suddenly have several hundred dollars in fines with no other correspondence? Do you live in Chad?

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015

Inept posted:

This makes no sense. A single appearance in person and you suddenly have several hundred dollars in fines with no other correspondence? Do you live in Chad?

It makes no sense to me either. They said they mailed stuff but we never recieved anything and they obviously had our correct address since they turned up on the doorstep. We have never had any other mail go missing. But what good does that do us? Can't fight the tax man, man.

The charges were from our bank not the state tax people, they didn't charge anything when the confusion was sorted out. Mostly it was just stressful and my husband missed a days work on hold being passed around various departments.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

It makes no sense to me either. They said they mailed stuff but we never recieved anything and they obviously had our correct address since they turned up on the doorstep. We have never had any other mail go missing. But what good does that do us? Can't fight the tax man, man.

The charges were from our bank not the state tax people, they didn't charge anything when the confusion was sorted out. Mostly it was just stressful and my husband missed a days work on hold being passed around various departments.

So your bank sent some people after you who claimed to be state tax people?

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015

baquerd posted:

So your bank sent some people after you who claimed to be state tax people?

Nope the tax people put a lien on our accounts which costs a surprising amount.

The tax people were the real deal.

Trillian
Sep 14, 2003

Tax guys genuinely act weird as poo poo. I got in trouble recently by closing the door on some "tax men" that were acting super-shifty. Turns out they were tax men... There was a problem with our taxes (an error). No idea why their first idea was to turn up on our doorstep without writing or phoning first.

Maybe when they told you that they had mailed you something first, they did indeed mail you something first and you didn't receive it?

Or maybe they are just lying liars with bad social skills as you assume.

Colin Mockery
Jun 24, 2007
Rawr

Yeah uh, I'm not sure "the IRS mails you a letter first" is disproven by "my state tax collectors said they mailed me something but I didn't receive it so they showed up in person".

I hosed up my taxes once by not reporting some income (a W2 from a job I left earlier in the year was mailed to my old address...). They mailed me a letter with a bill. I paid the bill and they never bothered me about it again. It took multiple months and several tries to sort things out with my state since I also owed them taxes for it, but the actual IRS were pretty painless to deal with, all things considered.

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK
There's also the matter of people, some of whom I know, who open their mailbox, remove the contents, and deposit them straight into the bin because "lol im not expecting any mail".

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

pathetic little tramp posted:

Around 6 minutes I just stopped bullshitting and told them to gently caress themselves. I really should have switched on a camera and recorded it for YouTube posterity just to see how long they would sit there, presumably typing these numbers into a notepad file?

Imagine asking him to read it back to you

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015

Trillian posted:

Maybe when they told you that they had mailed you something first, they did indeed mail you something first and you didn't receive it?

Or maybe they are just lying liars with bad social skills as you assume.

I figure the letters probably got lost in their system somehow. We open all our mail especially stuff from the tax man. I don't think they were "lying" because there was no reason to but there was clearly a mistake somewhere.

The bad social skills thing comes from their doorstep manner which was poor - they refused to say what they were there about except "taxes" and were being oddly pushy about getting into my home (edging closer and putting a foot literally in the door.) If I'd let them in no doubt the matter would have been cleared up sooner.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

I figure the letters probably got lost in their system somehow. We open all our mail especially stuff from the tax man. I don't think they were "lying" because there was no reason to but there was clearly a mistake somewhere.

The bad social skills thing comes from their doorstep manner which was poor - they refused to say what they were there about except "taxes" and were being oddly pushy about getting into my home (edging closer and putting a foot literally in the door.) If I'd let them in no doubt the matter would have been cleared up sooner.

Sorry if I missed this but do you live in the south? Because if I were a tax collector in the south I would be pretty on-edge too, considering every third house probably has an insane guy with a gun who don't want no gubmint man on his property

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

Parallel Paraplegic posted:

Sorry if I missed this but do you live in the south? Because if I were a tax collector in the south I would be pretty on-edge too, considering every third house probably has an insane guy with a gun who don't want no gubmint man on his property

I dunno man, castle laws are a thing down here and some dickweed trying to get in my front door while being all sketchy seems like a great way for him to get ventilated. Not that I would do such a thing. Did this person not present identification?

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe
The correct procedure is to call the police, in front of them and tell them about two door to door scammers.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost

Devian666 posted:

The correct procedure is to call the police, in front of them and tell them about two door to door scammers.

Not in many parts of the good old USA, where you're free to open fire through through your front door without warning because you are scared. Just ask the families of the two firefighters who were blown away after being called on a welfare check a few days ago. Looks like that dude is walking without being charged.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Dillbag posted:

Not in many parts of the good old USA, where you're free to open fire through through your front door without warning because you are scared. Just ask the families of the two firefighters who were blown away after being called on a welfare check a few days ago. Looks like that dude is walking without being charged.

That's a small price to pay for the freedom to defend your property from those uppity blacks who moved in down the street crackhead gang members trying to steal your stockpiles of gold!

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

Dillbag posted:

Anywhere else in the world that's murder. If that happened in New Zealand the frontline police would arrive and take the assault rifles out of their lockbox, our equivalent of a swat team and a negotiator would arrive after that. We have a very high statistic for police snipers killing armed criminals. The US should follow the New Zealand way of resolving these problems, treat gunman as the insurgents they are. It's GWM as it saves a lot of medical costs.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?
Thank God you don't live in America then eh?

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

blugu64 posted:

Thank God you don't live in America then eh?

Actually I wouldn't mind living in America. There's a temptation of living a state with significant restrictions on firearms, or living in Louisiana to get access to Class 3 firearms.

I think I'd join in the culture like in the following video.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NHeSC_Ws5Ic

Magic Underwear
May 14, 2003

Young Orc

Devian666 posted:

Anywhere else in the world that's murder. If that happened in New Zealand the frontline police would arrive and take the assault rifles out of their lockbox, our equivalent of a swat team and a negotiator would arrive after that. We have a very high statistic for police snipers killing armed criminals. The US should follow the New Zealand way of resolving these problems, treat gunman as the insurgents they are. It's GWM as it saves a lot of medical costs.

I'm not going to defend the ridiculous self-defense laws some states have but this statement is extraordinarily naive. The US has 70 times as many people as your tiny island nation and a long cultural history of gun ownership going all the way back to the foundation of the country.

"It works in New Zealand" is not really proof of anything when applied to the US. I mean, LA county alone has more than twice the population of your entire country.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

Magic Underwear posted:

"It works in New Zealand" is not really proof of anything when applied to the US. I mean, LA county alone has more than twice the population of your entire country.

Our first attempt at this was about 170 years ago and it turned into a land war. It went badly for the Government at the time.

If someone shoots through their front door that seems kind of unreasonable to me, although perhaps justified if the person was a used car salesman but not fire fighters that's just wrong.

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

Please shut up about gun policy :tipshat:

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

pig slut lisa posted:

Aw, I was sure that this time we'd resolve the dispute.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

pig slut lisa posted:

Please refer to the video I am amused about of Hunter S. Thompson above.

Subjunctive posted:

Aw, I was sure that this time we'd resolve the dispute.

New Zealand had quite a history of dueling and running gun battles to resolve disputes. Along with a lot of more recent "hunting accidents".

Devian666 fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Apr 17, 2016

blackmet
Aug 5, 2006

I believe there is a universal Truth to the process of doing things right (Not that I have any idea what that actually means).
I had a bizarre problem with my taxes a few years back. I did them via taxact.com. Printed them out, ended up owing $94 to the state, which I paid.

A couple months later I got a letter from the state of Colorado stating I owed them $1,100 in additional taxes, which I found pretty bizarre. Took a look over my taxes and figured out that even though the printout was correct, for some reason, the information transmitted to the state of Colorado or the state of Colorado's interpretation only showed I paid taxes at one of my two jobs that year.

Spent a LONG evening scanning and uploading documents to the a secure website ran by the state. Received no notification that it was cleared. Checked the website 3 months later (the wheels turn slowly in Colorado), and it showed that the issue was cleared. Thank God I'd saved everything.

Oh...and my white trash BWM money reared it's head into my life this weekend...

My aunt texted me at 8:15 last night, asked if I would cover a hotel room for my 20 year old cousin and her boyfriend for 3 days while the weather was ridiculously cold here. Apparently my uncle made a threat to drown her in some pond, so she freaked out and left him for some guy I THINK she's had on the side for a while. My cousin stayed with dad, then made the mistake of calling her and getting caught, so her and her BF got kicked out too. They were living in his truck, but with our current 10 inches of snow and sub-freezing temps, it wasn't a good idea for them to do so. If they were living with their dad, they'd be living in a storage unit because they got kicked out of their last apartment over an overcharge on a water bill, which they tried to use as justification for not paying rent.

I sighed and told them to come over, pissing off my partner horribly (doors slamming, dogs barking, he works at 6AM on Sundays). Ended up throwing down a couple of sleeping bags in the den and letting the cousin, her boyfriend, and their dog crash here for the night. Let them take showers and gave them a couple of decent meals. They're 19-20 years old, not the brightest crayons in the box, but not bad kids. He's doing part-time package handling at UPS, she's unemployed and going to school. I pretty much told them that neither me nor my partner were mad at them, but we were pissed at my aunt and uncle. I also suggested that they both work on becoming self-sufficient ASAP, and my partner has offered to use connections at a couple of old security companies he was at to see if he can get them full-time entry level employment. He was interested, but doesn't have the required H.S. Diploma or GED.

This afternoon my aunt, the guy she's staying with, and my older cousin came over and let them know they had gotten them a small room with a kitchenette for the next two nights. The guy my aunt was staying with took a payday loan out to do it. They handed them $159 dollars...$140 for the room at the crappiest hotel in the crappiest part of Thornton, $19 for gas and food. I pitched in by giving them $20 for food, packing a bag with canned soups and semi-non perishable food (the hotel apparently has a kitchenette), and giving my aunt a couple of regional level bus tickets I keep around for emergencies and bad weather so that she can to get to and from work for the next few days until she gets paid.

I COULD do more...but I don't want to be the Bank of Blackmet. I saw what they did to my great-grandmother...every time she got her social security check and survivors Navy pension on the 3rd of the month, they always hit her up for 50 or 100 bucks. I don't want them to start thinking of me the same way.

Oh, and I have a brokerage licensing exam in 3 days, which I need to pass. If I pass it, I can apply for a soon-to-be-open supervisory level position at my work and (if I get it) get a 15-20% raise. I WAS going to cram for it this miserable weather weekend, but Saturday was killed by Seasonal Affective Disorder and I'm too stressed out to do it today. Thanks Family!

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

blackmet posted:

Lots of words

That extended stay America on 88th was only $25 a night when I moved to Denver I stayed a week there. Not great but not terrible.

Sucks on all the family stuff.

Centripetal Horse
Nov 22, 2009

Fuck money, get GBS

This could have bought you a half a tank of gas, lmfao -
Love, gromdul

spwrozek posted:

That extended stay America on 88th was only $25 a night when I moved to Denver I stayed a week there. Not great but not terrible.

Sucks on all the family stuff.

How long ago was that? It must have been years and years, right? I've spent a lot of time at Extended Stay America properties, and, even when you're booking them a month at a time, the rate is more like $65/night.

Actually, I got curious and checked, because I wondered if maybe Denver was just super-cheap. The cheapest rate I see is about $60/night before taxes.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

4.5 years ago for 1 week. Maybe I just got a great deal?

E: I must have just lucked out. The location is owned by someone else now. They want $70 a night. That place was a poo poo hole and not even worth the $25.

spwrozek fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Apr 18, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blackmet
Aug 5, 2006

I believe there is a universal Truth to the process of doing things right (Not that I have any idea what that actually means).

spwrozek posted:

4.5 years ago for 1 week. Maybe I just got a great deal?

E: I must have just lucked out. The location is owned by someone else now. They want $70 a night. That place was a poo poo hole and not even worth the $25.

I'm almost positive that's where they ended up with the payday loan money.

They're used to awful hotels, though. Lived in one in California for 2 years. When the family first came back to Co., they spent three weeks at the Motel 6 by McCoy's.

I love McCoy's. I practically lived there in the early 2000's. But if you had to stay at a Motel 6, that'd be the last one on my list.

• Locked thread