Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Best five bucks I've ever spend.

Platypus Farm posted:

You don't have to kill the mimics. Just punch the sage until he ports again.

I'm fully aware of that. But after we hit the sage a few time, he vanished and one of his mimics stuck around, and the battle wouldn't continue no matter what we did.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DontMindMe
Dec 3, 2010

What could possibly go wrong?
Phew! Done with Farron.

Any tips for farming Shackles for mounds? I need 24 before I'm done with covenants forever.

Platypus Farm
Jul 12, 2003

Francis is my name, and breeding is my game. All bow before the fertile smut-god!

Manatee Cannon posted:

kinda wishing I hadn't picked a mage for the moonlight greatsword right about now. I'm sure it'll be cool, but it is taking ages and I don't really have a good primary weapon for my magic stat yet. also I really don't like the catacombs so far

I don't know about the MLGS in this one. The scaling is terrible, the damage isn't that great, and you can't lay fuckers out with god waves like you could in bloodborne. Seems like just another greatsword in a game loving full of them, only this one is sort of better if you're a wizard.

edit: oh weird, I've never seen the mimics not disappear with the sage. That's a good one. Only bug I've seen was a crash to the PS4 menu when I was finishing the last boss.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.

Help Im Alive posted:

I never really bothered with the PvP/covenant stuff in the other games, is it at all likely that From will patch that stuff to make the covenant items any easier to get? I need 30 of the Concord Kepts and 30 Wolf's Blood Swordgrass both of which seem borderline impossible to get summoned for at a high level (and I've had zero luck trying to farm them)

Wolf's grass ain't no problem using the bonfire that's next to a bridge with three of them, in the time I got a single ear from the knights on the stairs with 323 itemfind I got all the grass I needed.

DontMindMe posted:

Any tips for farming Shackles for mounds? I need 24 before I'm done with covenants forever.

You know the bigass red-eye skeletons in the catacombs you never want to fight again? Get farming.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

Internet Kraken posted:

Even with my bets fire resist gear on, profuse sweat, and red bug pellets, I die right after picking up one item. Fun :geno:

I know about the lava pool behind the illusory wall, but where's the second one? I've never seen Tsorig down here.

Past the Basilisk area, there's the staircase up that leads to the bridge with the black knight that eventually leads up to the giant crossbow.
Buuuut, just before that staircase, there's a sidepath that leads to Tsorig and that lava pool.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Beat Iudex Gundyr in one try as a freshly minted Deprived. Feels good.

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Does upgrading the grass crest shield increase it's stamina regen buff, or does it just increase stability?

Your Moms Ahegao
Sep 3, 2008

Vargs posted:

I'm not enjoying DS3 as much as I was expecting. I just finished Lothric Castle and the game kinda feels like a slog at this point. Almost every single enemy is such a pain in the rear end to deal with. They all have enormous combos that fake you out into believing they should have ended (with almost no recovery time when they do end), they all delay their swings to gently caress up your dodge timing, they all kill you in two hits, they're all insanely aggressive, they all have infinite poise, and even if you do stagger them it only ends up being a 0.25 second animation that doesn't even let you get in another safe swing. Just about all of the bosses in DS1 and 2 are easier to take down than your average 8-foot tall knight that litters every inch of DS3.

It's like From looked at the past 2 games, tried to figure out all of the tactics that players used to actually kill things, and then gave every enemy a counter to every method without really giving you any good or satisfying alternatives. Instead they compensated by adding a lot of bonfires and giving you a poo poo ton of estus flasks that heal for a ridiculous amount of health since you are apparently expected to just be getting hit all of the time by all of this unavoidable garbage coming your way. Every battle feels frantic and sloppy and it's a far cry from what I liked about previous games where they seemed tough initially, but as you got decent at the combat you started to feel like a badass as you dodged through 95% of enemy attacks and kicked the poo poo out of them, but could still get wrecked if you slipped up.

It's also tough enough that I feel like I am required to use a very specific subset of weapons rather than just picking whatever I think looks cool or has a good moveset. If it's slower than a longsword I dunno why you'd ever bother because half the enemies don't stagger even when hit by an ultra greatsword and will punish you every time you swing. I loved the Zweihander in DS1 because it was about carefully picking your moments and then delivering a massive stunlock beatdown when the opportunity presented itself. Now enemies just shrug off the hits and it barely does more damage than a broadsword.

I'm making progress well enough, but unlike previous Souls games I am not chomping at the bit to boot up the game every day, and I have little desire to go through this all over again in another playthrough. I don't think the increased difficulty serves the game well. It just makes it exhausting to play. There are other things I don't like about DS3 but this stands out the most.

Yep.

The flow of the game is different, it's MUCH more aggressive and actiony as opposed to dungeon crawly survival now. Unlike the previous entries, being cautious is not rewarded, in fact doing so will often just give the mobs the opportunity to use their hyper poise infinite stamina hit box tracking combos that practically one shot you. There are countless times you will win not because of your skill but just because the mob decided to stop swinging long enough for you to stagger it to death.

The basic mechanics feel unfinished. Small weapons doing as much stagger and damage as larger ones is obviously the one people keep bringing up, buts it's everything. I'm not talking a few overpowered outliners from DS2 like the Bat Staff, Avalyns or Crystal Sword, scaling is incorrectly implemented across the board for entire styles of game play, such as Magic.

All the fun tools have been removed or nerfed to uselessness. Even the trusty bow which has been a staple of my character since DeS probably got me killed more times DS3 then I found it useful. It just really bummed me out that I was punished for trying to be creative, and the most effective method for EVERYTHING was just to dodge into R1 spam with straightsword.

This is not even the can of worms that is PvP, which ontop of being a lagfest, right now the most effective way to kill someone is, again, just dodge into R1 spam with straightsword. Even then its tedious as all hell because theres no way to punish chugging or runners.

Don't get the wrong, the meat and potatoes of the experience is there, but the balance is terrible.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Platypus Farm posted:

I don't know about the MLGS in this one. The scaling is terrible, the damage isn't that great, and you can't lay fuckers out with god waves like you could in bloodborne. Seems like just another greatsword in a game loving full of them, only this one is sort of better if you're a wizard.

edit: oh weird, I've never seen the mimics not disappear with the sage. That's a good one. Only bug I've seen was a crash to the PS4 menu when I was finishing the last boss.

well that's disappointing. any other magic weapons that are worth building towards?

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Seriously, as a Host of Embers I got invaded by a red.

I shrugged and dueled them. Happened a bunch of times, was solo.

It basically turned into a slugfest to see who ran out of Estus first (hint: it was them, I not only had more Estus but landed more attacks than they did because they kept walking into my Lothric Knight thrusts.).

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Which is why you'd want to use talismans as an invader, though I've not found anywhere to buy them. Even if you had infinite though there's not much stopping someone from running in a circle around an obstacle since catching people in this game is a nightmare.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

They're not exactly that easy to land.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
spoilers for optional boss

hypermode's back boys

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y8kT_lZbRs4

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime
my invasion win/loss is like 5 wins to 50 losses. it's terrible.

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice
"Performance adjustment for Greatsword" means they're making it better, right? Right? I'm having a ton of fun with my new strength build and I don't want it to end.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

EDIT: Dumb question

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Did they have to fill this loving lava pit with slimes I can't even see? I keep getting staggered by them and then I burn to death before I can heal. This may be one of the most frustrating things I've had to do in any Souls game.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

lol I looked into it a little and there are a billion lightning and fire weapons compred to like three for magic, one of which requires faith and one of which I can't get until later because I missed the invasion that drops it

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Manatee Cannon posted:

lol I looked into it a little and there are a billion lightning and fire weapons compred to like three for magic, one of which requires faith and one of which I can't get until later because I missed the invasion that drops it

I have thus far found zero lightning or fire weapons, please enlighten me

Party Alarm
May 10, 2012
I can't wait to be a huge rear end in a top hat and make a lowbie invader

I'm on the last boss right now. This is the first time I've played through a Souls game unspoiled, and it's been amazing

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
Professionally done lore in hit videogame DARK SOULS 3

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

How do you only aggro one of those Aldrich covenant guard dogs?

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:

Monomythian posted:

Yep.

The flow of the game is different, it's MUCH more aggressive and actiony as opposed to dungeon crawly survival now. Unlike the previous entries, being cautious is not rewarded, in fact doing so will often just give the mobs the opportunity to use their hyper poise infinite stamina hit box tracking combos that practically one shot you. There are countless times you will win not because of your skill but just because the mob decided to stop swinging long enough for you to stagger it to death.

It's pretty much Bloodborne but with Knights instead of Beastmen everywhere, I can see people who didn't play Bloodborne being torn apart by the fast paced enemies.

Orv
May 4, 2011

actionjackson posted:

You don't!

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

The Shortest Path posted:

I have thus far found zero lightning or fire weapons, please enlighten me

I'm not gonna list out every weapon that is fire or lightning, but you should look into spears because there are like 3 lightning ones and one for fire

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I've been trying to co-op Dragonslayer Armor for like half an hour now and half my attempts have been to worlds where the host is floating around and I can't enter, the other half is people summoning 3 players and the boss oneshotting all of us.

This is not jolly at all :sigh:

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Manatee Cannon posted:

You can always make a conventional Raw weapon and then buff it with the various Magic Weapon spells.

Alternatively, infuse a conventional weapon with a Crystal Gem, which will scale magical damage with your INT stat. The downside to this is that the weapon will no longer be buff-able.

mendacity
Nov 16, 2015
haven't gotten it yet due to excessive hours in the salt mines, but super pumped about its general reception. also pyromancy! : D

knockout
Apr 27, 2014

my reputation's never been worse, so
is there a goon discord for this game and/or franchise?

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

actionjackson posted:

Hide in the corner and hit one with an arrow.

knockout
Apr 27, 2014

my reputation's never been worse, so
also, if you summon me and you don't wave, bow, or otherwise emote at me as a courtesy, i'm going home! dark souls is a game of etiquette.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

I do wish magic was a little stronger than it is but oh well. I don't think straight swords are too op in pvp, at least not in my experience.

Try using some Spears they are very good. Partizen is probably my most used weapon on pvp right now.

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

Really did not like the cheesy gimmick on the Yhorm fight. Doubly did not like that they put the gimmick item and the explanation for it inside the boss room. :rolleyes:

Also did not like the way that it punts you directly into the Dancer fight. I boned out of there to go spend my souls and then realized I had no idea how to get back. Thankfully google saved me, as soon as I started typing "dancer of the" it suggested "dancer of the boreal valley location" so apparently I'm not the only person falling into that trap.

Now I'm getting pissed off at dancer's ability to catch you in a grab that will do about 85% of your HP while you're in the middle of a roll behind its back. :shepicide:

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Orv posted:

You don't!

So how do you beat them?

Edit: I'm a melee only character

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.
Ok, I give up, I'm completely at a loss on this one, question regarding Ithryll Dungeon:
How the heck do you reach siegward to let him out? I found the old cell key, but I can't find a path to him. All the locked doors I encountered won't open with it. Also why can't I use the dragon torso stone I found? It's always greyed out.

Estraysian
Dec 29, 2008

Obligatum VII posted:

Ok, I give up, I'm completely at a loss on this one, question regarding Ithryll Dungeon:
How the heck do you reach siegward to let him out? I found the old cell key, but I can't find a path to him. All the locked doors I encountered won't open with it. Also why can't I use the dragon torso stone I found? It's always greyed out.

If you found the underground temple surrounded by a toxic pool there's an open window you can jump into from the roof.

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Regarding the complaints that the large STR weapons are no longer viable, I seem to recall that DEX weapons in Dark Souls 2 were pretty underpowered compared to their Dark Souls 1 counterparts. The pendulum swings?

panda clue
May 23, 2014
decided to read the most recent page to see if this thread was worth reading or not

il serpente cosmico posted:

large STR weapons are no longer viable

guess not

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

deadlyrhetoric posted:

is there a goon discord for this game and/or franchise?

Most people are happy with it, but there are some complaints that STR and magic are nerfed compared to DS2. Here's a good summary of the complaints about the game. This quote is taken from the Poise page on the wiki:

quote:

DS2 especially was about timing, skill, and build. DS3 is about getting in the first quick hit then spamming R1, or about spamming roll to avoid getting stunlocked for 3-6 hits. Quick attacks have been sped up, but parries are delayed, so they're very difficult and not worth the risk except against the most predictable slow attacks. That's not fun and skill based, it's button mashing. Ganking is more encouraged in pvp, and is the hallmark of enemy placement. That's terrible. It just leads to more roll spaming or kiting or rolling with a possy. These are not skilled techniques. I'm very disappointed and think a patch bringing back poise and limiting stunlock is essential to save the game from casuals. At least the movesets have been expanded.

I think this sentiment is pretty dumb, and I seem to recall similar complaints about every new game in the series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

BobTheJanitor posted:

Also did not like the way that it punts you directly into the Dancer fight. I boned out of there to go spend my souls and then realized I had no idea how to get back. Thankfully google saved me, as soon as I started typing "dancer of the" it suggested "dancer of the boreal valley location" so apparently I'm not the only person falling into that trap.

They should have made Emma into Solaire instead so people would remember the first NPC they met in the game world.
Plus then you would have to kill Solaire to get the skip. :getin: