Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
Not only does ds3 have a joke about the ds2's windmill elevator, there's a secret area filled with piles of capra demons and taurus demons :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

8-Bit Scholar posted:

Of course it is, although why you are not playing Dark Souls 3 would be a mystery in that regard.

Simply put, I'm poor at the moment and I'm not done with DS2. :ms:

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Lurdiak posted:

The greatest thing about Metal Gear Rising is that Raiden repeatedly asks the philosophizing weirdo villains what the hell they're talking about.

[five minute monologue]

"...you're batshit insane!!!"

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

it's time for Jack.... to let 'er rip !!

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

My favorite thing in the entire series is at the end of the first fight against fortune where she's crying over vamp and raiden just walks around her and leaves.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.

Grapplejack posted:

My favorite thing in the entire series is at the end of the first fight against fortune where she's crying over vamp and raiden just walks around her and leaves.

"Boo hoo, I'm so unlucky the guy I was sleeping with who was also sleeping with my father was killed. Only he's not actually dead, but the people I shot with my rail cannon most certainly are, but I'm more unlucky than they are. If only I could die but I've never actually tried to kill myself because I've always been carrying a powerful magnet given to me by the person who killed my dad. Later, I'll discover I'm actually magic right before I die."

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
So I finished "book 1" of ashadows: Heretic Kingdoms.

It's really fun and I'd recommend it to everyone that likes wrpgs or Diablo 3 ( I've never played 1/2 but 3 seems more actiony)

That said, it has some bugs, and some weird decisions made by the now defunct publisher. Luckily the devs are still at it and really responsive to the community. I'm really looking forward to the next book.

Gameplay wise it's awesome. One of my big complaints about most rpgs is how the combat gets monotonous. But you have two main characters in different worlds you can switch between, and two bonus puppets in meat space.
You get 3 choices for the mc, rogue wizard, fighter. Then multiple choices for the other puppets, a wolf berzerker, a zombie covered in iron, a Lizard man wizard, a mute archer/bomber, and either a wasp or a treant.

There's just tons of fun switching between dudes on the fly, some enemies exist in the shadow world only, some meat space, but Demons and wizards exist in both so theres some neat dynamics to how you approach situations.

The only real complaints I have are about the enemy placement, since there's not much challenge in it, just a mob of dudes all in one spot really. As well as some content gated for physical copy only without any in game notification that no, you can't open that door ever.

void_serfer
Jan 13, 2012

B) HATE RESPECTS

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Games are Art

git gud at crunch time

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Jay Rust posted:

Dark Souls III makes a lot more references to the first game than it does the second. Dark Souls II is increasingly feeling like the black sheep of the series.

Yeah, but it has a lot of ds2's quality of life features that didn't make it into Bloodborne, and I also seem to be tripping over bonfires. It feels like a mix of ds1's hub bonfires and ds2's sprawling checkpoint bonfires.

But yeah, when I said it had the best parts of every soulsgame, of course that means it will have the least from ds2...

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Quest For Glory II posted:

Games are Art

git gud at crunch time
Lmao. Who said this?

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Someone apparently unfamiliar with the fact that for some of the greatest artists in history did art as their jobs.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
why cant these idiot game dev losers realize that modeling the olson twins' tits for duke nukem forever is TRUE ART?

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

FactsAreUseless posted:

Lmao. Who said this?
The former head of WildTangent, famous 90s bad webgame publisher

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Nasgate posted:

So I finished "book 1" of ashadows: Heretic Kingdoms.

It's really fun and I'd recommend it to everyone that likes wrpgs or Diablo 3 ( I've never played 1/2 but 3 seems more actiony)

That said, it has some bugs, and some weird decisions made by the now defunct publisher. Luckily the devs are still at it and really responsive to the community. I'm really looking forward to the next book.

Gameplay wise it's awesome. One of my big complaints about most rpgs is how the combat gets monotonous. But you have two main characters in different worlds you can switch between, and two bonus puppets in meat space.
You get 3 choices for the mc, rogue wizard, fighter. Then multiple choices for the other puppets, a wolf berzerker, a zombie covered in iron, a Lizard man wizard, a mute archer/bomber, and either a wasp or a treant.

There's just tons of fun switching between dudes on the fly, some enemies exist in the shadow world only, some meat space, but Demons and wizards exist in both so theres some neat dynamics to how you approach situations.

The only real complaints I have are about the enemy placement, since there's not much challenge in it, just a mob of dudes all in one spot really. As well as some content gated for physical copy only without any in game notification that no, you can't open that door ever.

book 2 is never going to come out

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Games are Art

git gud at crunch time

Easily exploited Idiots like him are the reason I don't work as a game dev. Why give your employees decent hours/benefits when you can have a bunch morons work for 80 hours a week.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

the myth of the starving artist is the single most damaging ideology to getting fair wages. ideology? idiom? whatever

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

IShallRiseAgain posted:

Easily exploited Idiots like him are the reason I don't work as a game dev. Why give your employees decent hours/benefits when you can have a bunch morons work for 80 hours a week.
And after carefully eliminating all the industries that exploit their employees, you now have a fruitful career as a mountain hobo.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

FactsAreUseless posted:

And after carefully eliminating all the industries that exploit their employees, you now have a fruitful career as a mountain hobo.

Nah man, I have a pretty great job working at a healthcare non-profit.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

the myth of the starving artist is the single most damaging ideology to getting fair wages. ideology? idiom? whatever

I think the term meme might apply here.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Quick google of the guy who wrote the article and this is his picture lol

e: "Without a high school diploma, St. John tested and talked his way into that same university later. After only a few semesters, he moved to Massachusetts with his sights set on MIT. But his first career job, at Boston-based Hell Graphics, sidetracked him. Paranoid about his qualifications, he worked 140 hours a week to prove himself. It wasn’t until he arrived at Microsoft that he realized "nobody gave a drat" about his lack of traditional education."

you did not work 140 hours a week you fuckin liar

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Apr 17, 2016

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

Games are Art

git gud at crunch time

There's some truth to it in that no matter how much money you throw at a game, it might just be a terrible game. All games require a ton of hard work though.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Controversially, the original name for the DirectX project was the "Manhattan Project", a reference to the US nuclear weapons initiative. Alex St. John, head of Microsoft DirectX evangelism at the time, claims[12] that the connotation of the ultimate outcome of the Manhattan Project (the nuclear bombing of Japan) is intentional, and that DirectX and its sister project, the Xbox (which shares a similar logo), were meant to displace Japanese videogame-makers from their dominance of the video-game industry.[13] However, Microsoft publicly denies this account, instead claiming that the logo is merely an artistic design.[13]

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

the xbox one was a bomb alright. a dud, that is to say

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

An RSS feed bot who makes questionable purchasing decisions.
Pillbug

bloodychill posted:

There's some truth to it in that no matter how much money you throw at a game, it might just be a terrible game. All games require a ton of hard work though.

See: a little magical adventure called star citizen

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Let's be fair, lots of hard work is going into star citizen, too, it's just bad work fuelled by bad ideas fuelled by a bad man

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=abC_kjjx6Yc

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Lmao Robotnik

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms
I finished the Alan Wake DLC and it was real cool and good, the set pieces in the 2nd were great.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms
I played the first gex on PC with a joystick, shame about the later games tho

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

why does "The Rub" want to know my favorite video game reptile

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

public service announcement: freedom force is really good.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Thea The Awakened is a cool king of dragon pass ish game and its good

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

corn in the bible posted:

book 2 is never going to come out

Considering that they're still working on the rework of 1, this is probably true, but I can dream.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Games are Art

git gud at crunch time

hahaha, what loving rear end in a top hat wrote this poo poo
I haven't read something this funny since that one Penny Arcade job posting where they wanted someone to do like 4 jobs and be paid less than they should get for doing one

The former head of WildTangent, famous 90s bad webgame publisher

Hey now, WildTangent was making terrible webgames well into the '00s.

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you
A few months ago you goons recommended the Sam&Max games to me, but I wasn't able to run them on Windows 10 for whatever reason.

I changed computers recently (win7) and remembered that I had those things lying around in my Steam library so I decided to give them a shot. It's amazing.

Thanks, goons. :thumbsup:

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

I'm at this point playing through old poo poo until the summer sale gets here, or SOME kind of sale. i assembled a list of 80 of the games in my catalog that i'm willing to at least try

please let a sale get here!! cmon yall

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Who the gently caress voted for Gex over Spyro?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Lizard Wizard posted:

public service announcement: freedom force is really good.

I loved that that game was honest about how devastatingly overpowered superspeed is. When you got the Bullet and leveled up his knockdown attack he just murdered.

• Locked thread