Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pash
Sep 10, 2009

The First of the Adorable Dead

Ugleb posted:

I'm not sure if its Scourge or Shaltari. Scourge get up close via stealth then melt face. Shaltari get their gate shenanigans with infantry deployment and are/were going to be brittle ships with those long range ion(?) cannons that cause major spikes when fired. The twist being that Shaltari also get their shields up mechanic which is meant to dramatically boost their durability when active.

Long range particle lances, some ion stuff that is close range and maybe ignores PD i think. I think Shaltari are more the Eldar type, although i think they will be surprisingly good at the close action game with their stuff that skips PD and the fact that they have the best point defense of any of the factions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bistromatic
Oct 3, 2004

And turn the inner eye
To see its path...
New rules for everyone! Although scourge players will have to use their Monitors to proxy Corruptors.

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0159/4298/files/Retaliator_-_Experimental_Rules_1.0.pdf
https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0159/4298/files/Monitor_-_Experimental_Rules_1.0.pdf
https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0159/4298/files/Angelos_A2_-_Experimental_Rules_1.0.pdf
https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0159/4298/files/Leopard_-_Experimental_Rules_1.0.pdf
https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0159/4298/files/Thunder_Wagon_-_Experimental_Rules_1.0.pdf

Renfield
Feb 29, 2008
These are also up on the Hawk site directly

http://www.hawkwargames.com/collections/dual-blisters

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
Weird that the corruptor rules are up but the Monitor is what's being sold.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Retaliator seems legit. Tho I'm not sure on how barrage is good on it other than point blank big template.

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

ASK ME ABOUT HOW SCOTLAND'S PROPOSED TRANS LEGISLATION IS DIVISIVE AS HELL BECAUSE IT IS SO SWEEPING THAT IT COULD BE POTENTIALLY ABUSED AT A TIME WHERE THE LACK OF SAFETY FOR WOMEN HAS BEEN SO GLARING
So the Corruptor can advance 12" each turn firing a base of Razorworms into buildings as it goes. So a single Corruptor could pump out up to 6 bases of free Razorworms in a game for 80pts. This could be awesome in a scenario like Recon, just dump worms into every building before your opponent reaches your side of the board and he has to fight through them!

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets
Yeah, and a single base of razorworms is enough to at least damage a squad of most races basic infantry - they'll die against exotics, but most things do.
Its not a unit you'll want two of, but one of them will be great in most missions.

One FAQ needed already, does a bunker count as a building? Bunker Assault is a favorite at Invasion, and spending a few turns firing Razorworms into a contested bunker is going to ruin the enemies day.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Think I've come up with my first list to test around with the Seraphim and I really want to take two of them. :v:

Kodiak (Captain)
Ferrum

Katana (6)
Eagle

Legionnaires (2)
-Raven
Legionnaires (2)
-Raven
Falcons (2)

Legionnaires (2)
Rapier (3) (Condor/Missiles)

Wolverines (4)

Seraphim Retaliator
Seraphim Retaliator

I usually kind of find my lists tend to go overkill on infantry or anti tank and I have a lot of dudes not doing very much, so I've kind of gone for the inverse here and think I have a good measure of everything. I was tempted to try to run Sabres but I feel like I really really need the demo the Katana's provide. I feel like I'm running light on AA too but then I tend to usually take too much. My past two games I have had exactly one initiative win so I'm taking a Captain. Thoughts?

Flipswitch fucked around with this message at 11:00 on Apr 9, 2016

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
Hawk have announced their new show-only models for this year: a PHR DZC thing and a civilian vehicles pack. Hoping to get them this weekend.

Also I did an unboxing of the Aegis Orbital Defense Laser:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JcIsbBr4F4M

I did one for the Underground Hangar set also, it will be online soon, that one is even shorter since it's just a single piece of resin (and 4 metal satellite dishes).

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

ASK ME ABOUT HOW SCOTLAND'S PROPOSED TRANS LEGISLATION IS DIVISIVE AS HELL BECAUSE IT IS SO SWEEPING THAT IT COULD BE POTENTIALLY ABUSED AT A TIME WHERE THE LACK OF SAFETY FOR WOMEN HAS BEEN SO GLARING
The PHR dropship counts as a Neptune proxy it seems. I now want at least one for use with a command squad! Very pretty looking imo.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Ugleb posted:

The PHR dropship counts as a Neptune proxy it seems. I now want at least one for use with a command squad! Very pretty looking imo.

Pics?

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
I'm on my phone but the pictures are on the Hawk Facebook page. I'll try to post pictures while I'm at the show on my Facebook page (links in the YouTube video description above).

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I looked it up:

It's like a giant Triton.

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

Today Facebook gives us:

quote:

On our final update before Salute, we have the next wave of releases to show off. These will be available in very limited quantities at Salute this year.

Along with these, we will also have a collection of show only and newly created products, including: The Monorail Expansion Pack, Faction specific T-shirts, and Token packs.

We will also have many Dropfleet Commander models to present to you all - but for those, you will have to come down and have a look... (or keep an eye out on social media for people sharing photos from the day!)

We look forward to seeing many people at Salute!

The pics are some of the stuff shown back at Invasion, PHR Menchit A2, Scourge Corruptor and Shaltari Firebird.

MOAR MONORAIL?

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

I wonder if they'll have any new Dropfleet models. I want a look at the Scourge Battleships.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Yo UK Goons, there's a DzC tournament down here in FSG on the 28-29th of May for those who are up for travelling. Standard format of 1,500pts with more details to follow. I slapped up a thread on their forums here for those interested:

http://www.hawkforum.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=8222

Bistromatic
Oct 3, 2004

And turn the inner eye
To see its path...
Some salute pictures scrounged together from facebook:

And a BoW video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4My6IFjIe08

The shaltari battleship and the stations look huge. In the video i bet some of it is perspective, but still...

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.
I've just been looking at those very models. They're as huge as they look, I assure you.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Shaltari BS looking good, wonder which ones aren't done yet.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Bugger me that'd a beast

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.

Ugleb posted:

MOAR MONORAIL?

Turned out they were just extra track packs, with upright pillars.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
Yeah I got the expansion...now I need to get the original set! Should have gotten it from the Troll Trader, they had some fantastic prices.

Loxbourne posted:

I've just been looking at those very models. They're as huge as they look, I assure you.

You were there, too? Should have said! Unless you did and I missed it.

Pash
Sep 10, 2009

The First of the Adorable Dead

wdarkk posted:

Shaltari BS looking good, wonder which ones aren't done yet.

I would assume hes worked on each variation for a faction at the same time, and since we have seen the UCM one and now the Shaltari I would imagine the PHR and Scourge ones still need work.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Pash posted:

I would assume hes worked on each variation for a faction at the same time, and since we have seen the UCM one and now the Shaltari I would imagine the PHR and Scourge ones still need work.

I haven't seen anyone put a picture of the PHR or Scourge ones from Salute, so you may be right. Goons who went to Salute, did you see either of those?

Also I had my first game vs the Resistance today. Those bikes are pretty hard to deal with as Scourge, my Raider was slower than them if it wanted to move and fire, and its acid hose has the same energy value as the bikers' armor value. In theory the Annihilator could have helped, if it wasn't too busy rolling ones and infuriating me. Usually it does so much better than that!

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

Loxbourne posted:

Turned out they were just extra track packs, with upright pillars.

Eh, its a thing I guess. Was kinda hoping some sort of structure or ruined sections maybe but whatever.

Salute turns out to be a good one for teasers then. Reconquest Phase 2 book out in '6-8 weeks' so probably end of June/July which I'm cool with. Next Invasion is happening 17th/18th September by the way, so the book will be out in plenty of time.

Dropfleet backers will be getting our stuff 'June-July, things are on track working to our own schedule' says Dave. So probably late July then. ;)

That pic of a cabinet shelf full of space stations is all made FROM A SINGLE SET! Holy crap was that good value in the Kickstarter! If Dave reckons they under costed it then I think we can expect a price hike come retail. No idea on the game mechanics but I'm guessing there is probably enough there for a couple of tables worth in a typical game.

And finally, them Shaltari capital ships. I'm gonna need to clear space in the cabinet when these things come out! Interesting to see they are labelled as Battleship and Supercarrier. Anyone know if the hull section pictured right of the supercarrier is part of it? Looks similar to the top piece of the assembled battleship. Do they come from the same kit?

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

So general release probably won't be till August. I want my super awesome space ships. I want them so bad. :argh:

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

FrostyPox posted:

So general release probably won't be till August. I want my super awesome space ships. I want them so bad. :argh:

At least it gives me some time to paint up my kickstarter stuff.

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

Well, I'm really hoping to get my stuff in June, but I doubt it. Back in late January Dave was hoping to (as a long shot) have reconquest phase 2 out for Salute but it is still 2 months away. Hawk are trying to get a lot done with a small team and look to be advancing kinda slowly on everything at the moment. All of their recent timetable predictions are slipping into the later end of their estimates.

Still, it looks like Dropfleet will have a pretty cool launch offering.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
I took pictures but looks like all the bases are covered already, except maybe the space station, I'll upload those later. First place we went to was the Hawk stand, I got Reconquest 1.1,one of every show model and the monorail expansion too.

Also got a bit of swag:

Not shown is my second Saga force with dice, Renedra terrain for Frostgrave/fantasy, Dark Deeds game from Games & Gears and second Dungeon Saga game I picked up for a friend. The books at top left were brought to get signed, got loads of luck/fame rubs for my dice!

And apparently I won a KR Multicase Backpack4, that'll teach me to not look through everything in the swag bag! Now I gotta pay 20 quid for postage, what a ripoff!

Bistromatic
Oct 3, 2004

And turn the inner eye
To see its path...
"a bit of swag"

That said, i added the station pack to my dropfleet pledge after the "we made it too cheap" comment from that :v:

Crossquoting this from the terrain thread:

Bistromatic posted:

More modular terrain planning! Turns out committing to a grid system is the hardest part. Also doing an actual introduction since i might crosspost this for some feedback in other places and i never gave one in this thread :v:

I'm currently working on a modular table for Dropzone Commander, fitting with the theme of the game it's going to be urban terrain in 10mm scale. I want to incorporate elevation changes since i find that it makes tables a lot more attractive. The modules will the milled from MDF and held together by magnets. Roads will be permanently attached to the modules, the sidewalk level will be removable in sections to accommodate buildings and smaller features like bus stops or craters.

After some consideration i decided i'll be sticking with metric units. 120cm is close enough to the standard 48" for me not to care about the difference. Working entirely in imperial isn't feasible since all my materials and tools are metric over here and a hybrid approach is a huge hassle.

Originally i was thinking about imitating the paper terrain tiles put out by Hawk ( http://i.imgur.com/BYaGn90.jpg ) which are 12"/~30cm tiles with centered roads. A standard table will be 4x4 modules with good connectivity. However once elevation comes into play you need at least some ramps between levels which means that an elevation change consits of a low piece, a ramp and a high piece and takes up three quarters of the table length.

The next idea was to halve the grid size and do a mix of 30cm and 15cm tiles for more flexibility. With the roads being centered on each this essentially creates two different road systems and requires an adapter piece of sorts between them that shifts the centerline by 7,5cm. To make matters worse, there's two mirrored variants possible that are not interchangeable. A few posts up is the 1:10 scale test pieces i made for this system

Cutting out the 30cm centered tiles left me with a 15cm system, thus giving me 8x8 tiles for a standard table. The two test pieces of road are 15x15cm for example. Already much better but things like overpasses or a large intersection would take up 3x3 tiles and thus a pretty large portion of the table. Going by the test pieces i decided that shaving off the outer row of tiles could pretty easily get me to 12cm and thus a 10x10 table. It doesn't sound like that much of a difference but i find that the two extra rows add a good bit of flexibility.

The 12cm system i currently favour looks like this:

It's the best compromise i currently have between the various factors and i'll probably make another small scale model to play around with it.
For everyone else here's the sketchup file: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/14617390/Terrain%2012%20fine%20grid.skp
As opposed to the picture above, every module has four pre-rotated copies so they're quicker to assemble without constantly performing rotations.

I'd be happy about any feedback or suggestions.

Here's the test pieces mentioned, i don't think i've posted them in this thread before:

As it says, i'd appreciate any feedback. Especially gameplay related seeing how this thread has the actual players. I think i might end up with a slightly lower building density but some extra LoS blocking from the elevation.
And i'd be really thankful if someone could measure the width of the standard hawk roads on the ruinscape/cityscape tiles as well the the width of the civilian vehicles or their resistance variants. I asked in the local whatsapp group but no one there seems to feel like doing it.

Edit: on the test pieces the road is 10cm wide and i'm trying figure out what would be a reasonable lane width for civilian vehicles, not for huge APCs and batmobile buggies :v:

Bistromatic fucked around with this message at 12:33 on Apr 17, 2016

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.

Ugleb posted:

Anyone know if the hull section pictured right of the supercarrier is part of it? Looks similar to the top piece of the assembled battleship. Do they come from the same kit?

The upper section with two "prongs" is for the carrier (and has what looks like a flight deck between them). The one with triple particle cannons is from the battleship. Current theory seems to be that the upper hull section on the battleship is an enormous turret, but Dave wasn't telling...people with Admiral access, does the Shaltari battleship have an all-arc triple-cannon weapon?

I asked Dave about the carrier and he said it arrived from the manufacturers with broken "wing sections" so they couldn't show off the full model. No idea where those would go.

I also asked him why the UCM battleships have those big gaps in their hulls. He said he wanted something visually distinct from the generic grey cylinder with engines that most human spaceship designs end up being at present.

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

Loxbourne posted:

The upper section with two "prongs" is for the carrier (and has what looks like a flight deck between them). The one with triple particle cannons is from the battleship. Current theory seems to be that the upper hull section on the battleship is an enormous turret, but Dave wasn't telling...people with Admiral access, does the Shaltari battleship have an all-arc triple-cannon weapon?

Shaltari are meant to be 'big guns pointing forwards' right? It does look like a trio of big guns, but maybe with a more limited fire arc? Looks like there are smaller turrets along the sides. Looking at the sides underslung towards the back, are those three torpedoes? If so, then 'holy crap'. :aaaaa:

Ugleb fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Apr 17, 2016

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.

Ugleb posted:

Looks like there are smaller turrets along the sides. Looking at the sides underslung towards the back, are those three torpedoes? If so, then 'holy crap'. :aaaaa:

Not torpedoes (thankfully!), they're secondary turrets a la the Cayman in DzC.

I'm told by Sources(TM) that the triple-doomgun is fixed forward currently, so that's a relief. Still a very mean-looking ship.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Gaah fast movers are so cool but so frustrating to use sometimes. The availability roll after they've come out of reserve is the most irritating thing ever. Kinda surprised Hawk even implemented it, it's just inherently frustrating when you consider having to hit and then damage afterwards as well.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Flipswitch posted:

Gaah fast movers are so cool but so frustrating to use sometimes. The availability roll after they've come out of reserve is the most irritating thing ever. Kinda surprised Hawk even implemented it, it's just inherently frustrating when you consider having to hit and then damage afterwards as well.

Theoretically you can use Forward Observers to auto-pass the availability rule for attack runs (but not intercepts).

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

wdarkk posted:

Theoretically you can use Forward Observers to auto-pass the availability rule for attack runs (but not intercepts).
Yeah, I only actually realised this was a rule like two weeks ago, so I use a token on one of my squads to remind me of this rule but it's still kinda a lovely fix, you know? At least in my mind. I want to get more use out of my Seraphim at any rate but this rule baffles me.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
Here's my Salute walk-through:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8jXsRKW3Of0
Just about every table, vendor and club is in there, so you can see what it was like. No commentary from me in it, mostly because I don't know most of the historical games but if you're wondering what it was like there you go. The Hawk stand is in there as well as the 'full size' New Orleans carrier, but like all the stands it's a quick swing-round of the camera.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

I thought Dropzone had a rule that Evasion was negated by AA weapons, but now I can't find that.

EDIT: Maybe I was confused with Skimmers, since those DO have that rule, and it states that the Skimmer rule is a special form of Evasion?
EDIT2: Checked the rules forum and Evasion is definitely not negated.

wdarkk fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Apr 18, 2016

Renfield
Feb 29, 2008
It's a bit of a mess at the moment -
Skimmers don't have the evasion rule as 'this is already included in the skimmer bonus',
but the +2Ac for skimmers is ignored by AA weapons, and evasion isn't (As some flyers have Evasion, which would make it pointess).

It's from 1.0 not having Evasion countermeasers, but the skimmer/AA rule is there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

I'm thinking that the difference in AA vs Skimmer and AA vs Evasion is intentional, albeit confusing, due to some air units having Evasion (which would never work otherwise).

What's a good way for Scourge to kill Freeriders/ATVs? They have high armor (for infantry) and high speed, so my Screamer was never able to get into position to shoot them (and even if it could, it'd have a hard time damaging them), and they have high evasion, so everything else was missing like crazy. The Annihilator has a poor accuracy already and just deviated off them.