Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Manatee Cannon posted:

irithyl is just bloodborne on ice huh. that first enemy is super cool

:catstare:

On a different note, I've gotten about twenty vertebrae shackles from my dumb "friendvasion" methods. I think i'll try going hostile now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gnumonic
Dec 11, 2005

Maybe you thought I was the Packard Goose?
I've beaten the game 4 times (ng+ once) at this point, and I'm convinced that they really need to either nerf small fast weapons by like 20-30% or buff large weapons by an equivalent amount. Outside of maybe the FUGS, every single greatsword/ultra greatsword is outclassed in dps (if not straight damage) by a regular/refined longsword. (I'm also fairly certain that the regular old knight starting armor is the best defense/weight ratio in the game, so if you start as a knight there's basically no reason to ever change your equipment outside of heavy elemental damage fights).

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
So it turns out that parries are incredibly less difficult to perform with a parry shield or offhand parry weapon, you can actually parry on reaction with them due to reduced startup frames. Bye forever medium shields I guess. I don't really remember DS2 being like this.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

8-Bit Scholar posted:

Okay, guys, when you're a summon phantom, you really need to play more aggressively. Hit the boss with the giant club you brought. It's your giant club! Hit him and stagger him, and when the host is backing off, that's when you close in!

That said, drat. Every time I think I'm getting a good dodge rhythm going, I get surprised by something and end up just spamming rolls like a fiend. Game gets my blood up!

I have won at co op several times by killing the boss with my last breath.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Manatee Cannon posted:

irithyl is just bloodborne on ice huh. that first enemy is super cool

it's maybe my favourite new enemy in the game (even though that hidden area later in irithyll loving sucks) just because they just loving put the beast of darkness from berserk into the game

https://static.miraheze.org/allthetropeswiki/1/18/Labete_2525.jpg

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Broseph Brostar posted:

Seigward is in the well, right? If so then you already missed Patches at the cathedral, but it doesn't matter since you'll still encounter him at the tower above firelink.

And if you're already done that, you can still meet him in the shrine after beating the Abyss Watchers. I completely missed Patches until then and he still showed up and even apologized to me even though we'd never met.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

Hakkesshu posted:

it's maybe my favourite new enemy in the game (even though that hidden area later in irithyll loving sucks) just because they just loving put the beast of darkness from berserk into the game

https://static.miraheze.org/allthetropeswiki/1/18/Labete_2525.jpg

I knew I wasn't the only one thinking that.

I'm like oh hey it's that thing from Berse.. oh god that thing hits hard.

Kerm
Jun 17, 2003

VIDEO GAME RINGTONES
So I feel this is a dumb question, but I'm completely new to the Dark Souls series... Are the people that invade you actual people playing their characters when you fight, or just an NPC version? The first guy that invaded me seemed like a real person, but the second one made me think he was an NPC. Also, I haven't done the summons for co-op but when you do is that a real person or NPC?

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Oh man the entire road to that cathedral place past the Crystal Sage was so cool and nerve-wracking, but I can tell if I had died before creating a shortcut to the bonfire in the cathedral I probably would've quit the game for a week.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Kerm posted:

So I feel this is a dumb question, but I'm completely new to the Dark Souls series... Are the people that invade you actual people playing their characters when you fight, or just an NPC version? The first guy that invaded me seemed like a real person, but the second one made me think he was an NPC. Also, I haven't done the summons for co-op but when you do is that a real person or NPC?

There's NPC red phantoms, too. Back in DeS and DS1, 2, and Bloodborne they were easier to distinguish because the display name was always their gamertag, so you could definitely tell say, Invader Lucatiel of Mirra was an NPC invasion while Invader xXxWeedGokuBonerxXx was a human.

Estraysian
Dec 29, 2008

Kerm posted:

It's mostly real players, but there are several cases of NPC invaders and NPC summons as well. You can usually tell the difference by their names.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
I gotta say, I really didn't miss how they lock you of a huge chunk of npc questlines for obscure poo poo to punish players who don't use a guide their first time around. They seem to have learned so much from their shortcomings in previous games, but the npc questlines are still almost as badly designed as they were in demon's souls. Apparently joining Rosaria's Fingers, the only option you have to respec your character in the whole game, locks you out of Sirris' questline. I'm amazed that they make you choose between a major gameplay feature and a questline.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Broseph Brostar posted:

Seigward is in the well, right? If so then you already missed Patches at the cathedral, but it doesn't matter since you'll still encounter him at the tower above firelink.

Well, it's weird, because first he wasn't in the well, so I thought I read that I had to meet Patches first. But he was a no show, but them Siegward was in the well, so I guess I missed Patches at the Cathedral.

I went to Firelink but he's not in the tower/trapping me in there. Does that only happen after I beat the Deacons?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Apparently there's a second area I can get to from the Catacombs, what did I miss? I've done skeleboss and gotten to Irithyll.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

So I got the covenant item from Hodrik. Can I go kill that weird ent boss now given the way that second form goes or do I need to keep Hodrik alive somehow??

New Zealand can eat me
Aug 29, 2008

:matters:

DOUBLE CLICK HERE posted:

hit it until its dead while also not getting so much that you die

sage advice

I didn't really want to believe that it was true that the broadsword really is the best weapon, but after much experimenting, nothing even comes close.

What does war cry do? I just backtracked to go kill that mimic and this Axe seems kinda neat

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

Sakurazuka posted:

Apparently there's a second area I can get to from the Catacombs, what did I miss? I've done skeleboss and gotten to Irithyll.

So...

Remember how you crossed that rikety bridge? Smack it next time (while at the end of it) and it turns into a ladder you can climb down.

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Best five bucks I've ever spend.

Calaveron posted:

There's NPC red phantoms, too. Back in DeS and DS1, 2, and Bloodborne they were easier to distinguish because the display name was always their gamertag, so you could definitely tell say, Invader Lucatiel of Mirra was an NPC invasion while Invader xXxWeedGokuBonerxXx was a human.

You can tell if it's a human or not by the lag, usually

Orv
May 4, 2011
Goddamnit, Champion Gundyr ruined my one shot record, making me Whatever and 3, having only failed not to get Old Demon King and Dragonslayer Armor in one go. He was one hit off even. :argh:

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

Sakurazuka posted:

break the bridge before wolmy and climb down

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Sakurazuka posted:

being shot in the face by giant arrows (again) and part of an npc sidequest for anri or w/e the girl in the elite knight armor's name is

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

BillmasterCozb posted:

:catstare:

On a different note, I've gotten about twenty vertebrae shackles from my dumb "friendvasion" methods. I think i'll try going hostile now.

you got something against my good friend undead gatordog

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos

DrBouvenstein posted:

Well, it's weird, because first he wasn't in the well, so I thought I read that I had to meet Patches first. But he was a no show, but them Siegward was in the well, so I guess I missed Patches at the Cathedral.

I went to Firelink but he's not in the tower/trapping me in there. Does that only happen after I beat the Deacons?

Go up the staircase just to the right of the main entrance to Firelink and follow it all the way back to the area above Lothric's throne. I found him up there and never met him in Cathedral or the firekeeper tower. He acted like I had met him before and asked for forgiveness, but apparently I passed all the triggers and he moved from both locations to his final spot

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

What triggers patches leaving? He's not there :\ I barely stepped foot into the catacombs!

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly

DrBouvenstein posted:

You must have missed the trigger for Siegward the first time (it's opening that door next to his well iirc) and I think the trigger for Patches not appearing afterwards is lighting Rosaria's bonfire.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos

a cop posted:

What triggers patches leaving? He's not there :\ I barely stepped foot into the catacombs!

Killing the abyss watchers is one of the triggers I've heard.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Strongly considering respeccing to Strength now that I remember how much I enjoy the Battle Axe moveset in this one. I pulled out the Deep Battle Axe to help me deal with the lava slimes in Smouldering Lake and it felt so good.

Krinkle posted:

Okay I beat the game and now I gotta know: who the gently caress murdered my wizard and why wasn't there a clue or anyone saying a single goddamn thing about the loving corpse in firelink shrine?

Do you mean Yoel of Londor, the pilgrim guy who sells you sorceries? He sort of just up and dies because that's what pilgrims like him do. If you'd taken his deal five times for free levels, he would've died after the fifth and it starts a questline with a different NPC who shows up in his place. Otherwise? He just keels over.

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
So I think doing a Bloodborne style visceral attack on big mobs must be based on some kind of poise threshold. I took an unupgraded nailbat to a giant crab and stunned it, then ripped it's teeth out. My +3 long sword never manages that.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Pontiff is a real piece of poo poo boss. This area seriously upped the ante on the difficulty.

Myrdraayl
Apr 13, 2011
Bows are really good in this game especially the rapid fire machine gun composite bow.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Dr. Red Ranger posted:

So I think doing a Bloodborne style visceral attack on big mobs must be based on some kind of poise threshold. I took an unupgraded nailbat to a giant crab and stunned it, then ripped it's teeth out. My +3 long sword never manages that.

it's like the large bosses in bloodborne that you couldn't parry (and abhorrent beast)

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

People talking about the trouble they're having with Wolnir made me go look at the wiki page for him. I think I may have fought a bugged version. My fight had no skeleton adds, and he never pulled out a sword. Just pounded the ground, swiped, and crawled towards me. Took two attempts, because on the first I didn't realize that getting too close was deadly. I wonder if the game is suffering from the same bug in Bloodborne that was making boss AI turn stupid after playing for an extended amount of time.

DontMindMe
Dec 3, 2010

What could possibly go wrong?
3 shackles to go

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Dr. Red Ranger posted:

Yes, it's tied to shattering their poise. Blood and frost can help.

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

the barbed straight sword is a good sword

I'm probably going to marry this sword by thrusting it through my own forehead

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Gnumonic posted:

I've beaten the game 4 times (ng+ once) at this point, and I'm convinced that they really need to either nerf small fast weapons by like 20-30% or buff large weapons by an equivalent amount. Outside of maybe the FUGS, every single greatsword/ultra greatsword is outclassed in dps (if not straight damage) by a regular/refined longsword. (I'm also fairly certain that the regular old knight starting armor is the best defense/weight ratio in the game, so if you start as a knight there's basically no reason to ever change your equipment outside of heavy elemental damage fights).

Well, there is some kind of "rebalancing" coming the 18th. It namedrops things like the Greatsword specifically, along with the end "And many more rebalances and also some bugfixes".

So clearly they will nerf all of them :pseudo: That said, I've been sticking with my longsword over my Claymore primarily for it's faster swings. Enemy combos are faster than DS1 so my mediocre timing is always slightly off trying to beat things to the punch with a claymore. I still want to later down the line hit 32 STR so I can play with a bunch more toys one handed though.

Bigger weapons/more weapons could definitely go for having better scaling by default though. Large Club and Great Club are only C scaling. That Great Mace and Great Axe are D scaling, etc etc etc. The FUGS you mentioned is one of the few melee weapons in the game that has A scaling by default too. They probably have everything so low for scaling to make the infusions more significant without also letting you reach A, or even B scaling on most weapons.

The frequency of :geno: scaling is also why I had no idea what the point of the Refined gems were until I had it pointed out to me that the Letters are not a static amount and D or C on one weapon may be different scaling than a C or D on another. Because at first glance it looks like "What loving good is using Refined on all these E/D C/D weapons when it brings down the higher scaling?"

I don't mind smaller weapons having good hits though. Not like I can kill a Lothric knight in a single R1 combo with my Longsword anyways right now, but it's also not doing poo poo damage to early game bosses per hit. Nerfing smaller weapons doesn't help the situation for larger weapons, it just makes things more lovely for everyone.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Apr 17, 2016

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
So that Thorny Longfinger guy killed every last one of my ember hosts today with some vicious one-two combo swing. Did I really manage to get summoned by nothing but low Vit hosts or does he really do that much damage per hit?

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

https://www.twitch.tv/legendarylea

"when do I learn how to roll"

"I really want to rip toast someone"

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Dr. Red Ranger posted:

So that Thorny Longfinger guy killed every last one of my ember hosts today with some vicious one-two combo swing. Did I really manage to get summoned by nothing but low Vit hosts or does he really do that much damage per hit?

he really doesn't want anyone getting their mitts on his thorny stuff!!

yes, he does hit like a truck at the level you first meet him at

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LibbyM
Dec 7, 2011

Lategame question. There's no path I'm missing past the Duplicate Firelink Shrine right? So I'm back to trying to figure out how to get past the double dragons?
Hmm... What a pickle.

Does giving the Firekeeper the eyes do anything interesting other than what sounds like giving you a different ending?