Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stick Insect
Oct 24, 2010

My enemies are many.

My equals are none.

Corla Plankun posted:

but i will be the first to admit that this solution sucks for a person who cares about being able to copy and paste between two computers

yeah. But I'm also too lazy to take my hands off the keyboard.

I figured I had an old laptop (so there was a kboard & touchpad already there) that would make a nice "extra screen".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vanadium
Jan 8, 2005

i mean, if you have a solution to use the delphi5 debugger that doesn't involve a windows 2000 vm, I'm all ears

jony ive aces
Jun 14, 2012

designer of the lomarf car

Buglord
a windows me vm

Satellit3
Oct 21, 2008

jony ive aces posted:

a windows me vm

:eyepop:

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Vanadium posted:

i mean, if you have a solution to use the delphi5 debugger that doesn't involve a windows 2000 vm, I'm all ears

don't use Delphi 5

Vanadium
Jan 8, 2005

don't think that's gonna go over well with our deadlines for functionality for this delphi5-based product

Enderzero
Jun 19, 2001

The snowflake button makes it
cold cold cold
Set temperature makes it
hold hold hold

Vanadium posted:

don't think that's gonna go over well with our deadlines for functionality for this delphi5-based product

he was nicely saying get a new job

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

When bloody is toolchain-shaming you, your workflow is incredibly bad

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

hey i have one click build and deploy all it took was:
one batch script
three invocations of msbuild
two invocations of custom fpga tool
custom fpga tool auto-generates tcl scripts from hdl sources
fpga tool runs fpga ide with auto-generated scripts
fpga ide auto-generates scripts from those scripts
fpga ide runs a series of sub-tools with its auto-generated scripts
hardware devices get programmed

i think it may even work on a computer other than just this one golden computer it was all built on too if you install around 20 gigabytes of dependencies and somehow get their licenses all configured correctly

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

this is a huge step forward too. being able to only version control the hdl source files and none of the mystery project files for this fpga toolchain is something not previously accomplished here

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

:jackbud:

Vanadium
Jan 8, 2005

Bloody posted:

hey i have one click build and deploy all it took was:

My workflow in theory from the IDE to a customer's production environment can look something like this:

Copy binary from VM to the product's main network share. Use our in-house installation of the product to mark the binary as released. Copy it from the dir for released binaries to a customer-specific dir where a separate program looks for it. Checkbox all the involved files, maybe write up some quick .sql files to perform schema updates, and checkbox the customer-specific staging env/db. Press button, optionally (manually) test in the customer-specific environment.

Call someone at the customer's office and be like "hey we gotta update a thing, can i teamviewer on your desktop. great, thanks". Do that and transfer files, run the same thing again this time copying things to the customer's network's drive w/ our product on it and the production db. In the worst case, start up the production instance of our product, log in with the developer account (while the person i called is probably watching) and configure where in the menu tree the newly installed module shows up and who is allowed to run it.

Exit teamviewer and reconsider life choices.

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

i use a yubikey with my SSH key on it that self destructs if you get the PIN wrong 3 times and it makes me feel like im in the future

i have a yubikey on my keychain for years that i have never used. not once. it's like a rabbits foot but instead a constant reminder of my failure to follow through on anything

compuserved
Mar 20, 2006

Nap Ghost

Breakfast All Day posted:

i have a yubikey on my keychain for years that i have never used. not once. it's like a rabbits foot but instead a constant reminder of my failure to follow through on anything

same

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

i store my keepass database and private key next to each other in dropbox

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

Bloody posted:

i store my keepass database and private key next to each other in dropbox

:rant: :ssj: :mad: :tizzy: :yikes: :argh: :barf: :dawkins101: :psyboom: :suspense:

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005
we have a bamboo build server but we don't actually ever use the builds it outputs. it's only there to let us know if the build broke, and 99% of the times the build breaks is because it uses an old rear end C# compiler so we have to type
code:
 jimmies.Rustled += new EventHandler(jimmies_rustled);
instead of
code:
jimmies.Rustled += jimmies_rustled;
our actual deployment process is doing a clean checkout, building it, and copying the bin folder. every couple of weeks i'm like, let's fix this but the guy who maintains it is like :effort:

also we've been using jira for years and i finally got the team to start putting issues in. our previous way of creating version changelogs was to look at the svn logs (lol) and handwriting a word doc

AWWNAW
Dec 30, 2008

I use source tree

sometimes I branch

force pushed a few times. I ain't proud

Boner Buffet
Feb 16, 2006
to be fair, doing work on computers is horrid and after 15 years you will realize it and watch car review vids on youtube instead

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum
Our batch submission system is constantly overloaded and I like checking the output of stuff I'm working on, so I have a bash script that opens a screen session on a node in the cluster and submits interactive jobs by opening a new window in screen, sshing into another node and running my job script.

code:
screen -AdmS myshell -t ctrl bash

nodes=(007 008 009 010 011 019 013 014 015 017 018)

for i in 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
do
screen -S myshell -X screen -t tab$i ssh node${nodes[$i]} "cd path/to/workdir; ./run_jobcontrol.sh ${i}";
done
nodes is a bunch of interactive nodes on the cluster that I know aren't under heavy load. I am a bad person.

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Boner Buffet posted:

to be fair, doing work on computers is horrid and after 15 years you will realize it and watch car review vids on youtube instead

this but 3 years and post on a funny computer forum

du -hast
Mar 12, 2003

BEHEAD THOSE WHO INSULT GENTOO

StarkingBarfish posted:

Our batch submission system is constantly overloaded and I like checking the output of stuff I'm working on, so I have a bash script that opens a screen session on a node in the cluster and submits interactive jobs by opening a new window in screen, sshing into another node and running my job script.

code:
screen -AdmS myshell -t ctrl bash

nodes=(007 008 009 010 011 019 013 014 015 017 018)

for i in 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
do
screen -S myshell -X screen -t tab$i ssh node${nodes[$i]} "cd path/to/workdir; ./run_jobcontrol.sh ${i}";
done
nodes is a bunch of interactive nodes on the cluster that I know aren't under heavy load. I am a bad person.

:dogbutton:

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Bloody posted:

this but 3 years and post on a funny computer forum

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

i use a magic mouse with natural scrolling and vim bindings in intellij, so nobody who pairs with me can use my computer :shrug:

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

same except kinesis advantage set to dvorak

Who Is Paul Blart
Oct 22, 2010
fart into my awaiting mouth

Who Is Paul Blart
Oct 22, 2010
sorry wrong thread

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

yeah that sounds like a straightforward workflow

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av
Firstly, I don't use any desk. I find them distracting. My 2015 Macbook Retina Pro and two Dell U2913WM 29" monitors are suspended from the ceiling using a pulley system. This way I can perfectly adjust the pitch and yaw of the screen as well as its vertical and horizontal distance to find the optimal point.
For a while I also was suspending myself in order to relieve tension on my back but I found it was a bit of hassle getting in and out of the harness so instead I use a stair-stepping machine as my "chair." It keeps me active and gets the blood flowing.
My "keyboard": I use two ergonomic chorded keyers as these give me amazing wrist flexibility. It took me a while to adjust but now I'm averaging around 150 WPM with them. I custom built my own sensor rig so I could do gesturing with them as well - was a pain, but worth it. And since the use case is limited to me, I was able to make things easier but just having it detect a certain color blob (in this case, bright hot pink) which is the color of the coding gloves I wear. Insane accuracy with that setup. I got emacs to play nice with the gesture control too so running a macro is literally as easy as a handwave.
I do enjoy listening to music while I work. I have a wireless headphone setup which syncs with my EKG readout to automatically determine the kind of mood I am and what music would work best for my mental space. I don't use spotify, I've built my own streaming service which pulls from my arch media server at home so I can listen to everything in FLAC. Mostly a mix of live Grateful Dead shows from 70-74 but also remixes of bird songs, free jazz, and intelligence-boosting drone tapes.
I work 20 hours a day, usually from 6:30pm to 2pm. I use melanin and mugwort to regulate my sleeping cycles so although I only get around 4 hours of sleep, it's always deep REM so I wake up feeling refreshed and ready to crush code.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

hackbunny posted:

Firstly, I don't use any desk. I find them distracting. My 2015 Macbook Retina Pro and two Dell U2913WM 29" monitors are suspended from the ceiling using a pulley system. This way I can perfectly adjust the pitch and yaw of the screen as well as its vertical and horizontal distance to find the optimal point.
For a while I also was suspending myself in order to relieve tension on my back but I found it was a bit of hassle getting in and out of the harness so instead I use a stair-stepping machine as my "chair." It keeps me active and gets the blood flowing.
My "keyboard": I use two ergonomic chorded keyers as these give me amazing wrist flexibility. It took me a while to adjust but now I'm averaging around 150 WPM with them. I custom built my own sensor rig so I could do gesturing with them as well - was a pain, but worth it. And since the use case is limited to me, I was able to make things easier but just having it detect a certain color blob (in this case, bright hot pink) which is the color of the coding gloves I wear. Insane accuracy with that setup. I got emacs to play nice with the gesture control too so running a macro is literally as easy as a handwave.
I do enjoy listening to music while I work. I have a wireless headphone setup which syncs with my EKG readout to automatically determine the kind of mood I am and what music would work best for my mental space. I don't use spotify, I've built my own streaming service which pulls from my arch media server at home so I can listen to everything in FLAC. Mostly a mix of live Grateful Dead shows from 70-74 but also remixes of bird songs, free jazz, and intelligence-boosting drone tapes.
I work 20 hours a day, usually from 6:30pm to 2pm. I use melanin and mugwort to regulate my sleeping cycles so although I only get around 4 hours of sleep, it's always deep REM so I wake up feeling refreshed and ready to crush code.

source 'em

Satellit3
Oct 21, 2008

hackbunny posted:

lmbo

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone
the notion of coding gloves is so absurd that i almost want to get some just so i can have a little lol every morning at the codefactory

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE

Joe 30330
Dec 20, 2007

"We have this notion that if you're poor, you cannot do it. Poor kids are just as bright and just as talented as white kids."

As the audience reluctantly began to applaud during the silence, Biden tried to fix his remarks.

"Wealthy kids, black kids, Asian kids -- no, I really mean it." Biden said.
Open palm slam etc

jony ive aces
Jun 14, 2012

designer of the lomarf car

Buglord

hackbunny posted:

coding gloves

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

Corla Plankun posted:

the notion of coding gloves is so absurd that i almost want to get some just so i can have a little lol every morning at the codefactory

im imagining either driving gloves, fingerless cutoffs or magicians gloves

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av

pgroce
Oct 24, 2002
NO NO NO NO

exe cummings
Jan 22, 2005

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
code:
alias shove="git add . && git commit -am 'bug fixing' && git push origin $1"

• Locked thread