Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Favorite arc?
The Hunter Exam
Heaven's Arena
Yorknew City
Greed Island
The Chimera Ants
The 13th Hunter Chairman Election
View Results

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

Oh hey the new chapter actually came out!
How often does this update.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

There's really no meaning in making beetles fight.

not updated chart but we suffered through a lot

what the gently caress ^ beaten :eng99:

Wild Horses fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Apr 16, 2016

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Real talk: Kurapika still has emperor time so he could always try punching things really hard if words don't work.

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

No I mean is it weekly, every other, or monthly.

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

Assuming he doesn't go back on hiatus in two chapters but you know.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

everythingWasBees posted:

No I mean is it weekly, every other, or monthly.

It's published on Shonen Jump so weekly. *In theory*, you know.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Kytrarewn posted:

I'm not sure that's a matter of "no doubt". What does a baby really want? Survival. It wants milk and a clean diaper with all of its heart and soul. Laser-focused.

Togashi could pretty easily leverage that into the baby having the STRONGEST nen beast, which Kurapika needs to try to stop while at the same time protecting the baby from the other princes.

Yeah, Wobble's beast basically has no rules at all for creation no matte what the stated rules are. You can use babiness to argue weakness or strength in most rules lawyering.

Narratively, I'd think that a super weak nen beast would be the way to go. Either it'll be one of those things where on paper it's weak as gently caress, but when properly used is OP or it'll start weak and grow stronger.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Really we know jack about nen beasts aside from the fact that one of them is made of titties. Their abilities, limitations, intelligence, effective range, etc. None of that has even been hinted at yet. This is a whole new branch of nen and nen was already ridiculously varied and complex.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

The beast is made entirely out of scarlet eyes, Kurapika is super conflicted.

Jo Joestar
Oct 24, 2013
For what it's worth, the previous king has a nen beast that looks like what a baby might produce, so I'd lean towards Woble's beast being strong rather than weak.

logger
Jun 28, 2008

...and in what manner the Ancyent Marinere came back to his own Country.
Soiled Meat

Gyges posted:

Yeah, Wobble's beast basically has no rules at all for creation no matte what the stated rules are. You can use babiness to argue weakness or strength in most rules lawyering.

Narratively, I'd think that a super weak nen beast would be the way to go. Either it'll be one of those things where on paper it's weak as gently caress, but when properly used is OP or it'll start weak and grow stronger.

So basically you believe the whatever nen beast the baby could get is like Puu from Yu Yu Hakusho at this point and may evolve further later?

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Jo Joestar posted:

For what it's worth, the previous king has a nen beast that looks like what a baby might produce, so I'd lean towards Woble's beast being strong rather than weak.

A giant vagina covered in breasts. (That thing is still creepy as hell.)

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Apr 16, 2016

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

Serious Frolicking posted:

Really we know jack about nen beasts aside from the fact that one of them is made of titties. Their abilities, limitations, intelligence, effective range, etc. None of that has even been hinted at yet. This is a whole new branch of nen and nen was already ridiculously varied and complex.

Do you think its emssions or conjurations?

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Jo Joestar posted:

Was that tittymonster the king's? I thought it was Tsereidnich's since it looked so hosed up

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Pewdiepie posted:

While this is a joke. I do think it's Conjuration due to the pot used to create them. But it does not matter in this case the guy who originally made the pot is not doubt long dead.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Hitlersaurus Christ posted:

Was that tittymonster the king's? I thought it was Tsereidnich's since it looked so hosed up

No it's the king. Probably a representation of his lust. (Dude took 8 wives after all.)

They are representaions of their masters soul, so Tserriednich's will probably be hosed up as well. Likely all gory and dead looking.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Apr 17, 2016

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Bad Seafood posted:

Not to be untoward, but given Kurapika's choice of career, I simply assumed he put the screws on them. He's not a very intimidating person at a glance, so I could totally see some guy going "Yeah, sure, over my dead bod-OKAY OKAY I'M SORRY, TAKE THE EYES, JUST LET ME GO." For all his principles, he's effectively a mafia don now and does things their way. My point in that post was that he can't really use his underworld weight in this case - the prince isn't someone he can threaten or forcibly persuade in the same way he likely dealt with the other flesh collectors.
I agree that he loses his weight as a mafia boss, and that the two previous people he mentioned could have just been intimidated into doing so. However, since Kurapika was willing to have the rest of his group call off their bodyguard duty in the event that he can at the very least shake hands with the 4th prince.

quote:

Regarding his powers, while it's possible he could simply invent new ones to cover for his fixation on the Spiders, I've always been under the impression it wasn't that easy to simply change or add on to your nen once you'd decided what you wanted to do with it, or everyone would be coming up with secondary powers to cover for their weaknesses. Either way, whether you agree with me or not, the key thing I hope we can all agree on is that this is a more delicate situation than Kurapika's ever been in before, and he'll likely have to find some creative ways of resolving any conflicts or missteps that arise.
I don't think it's easy to adjust or change an existing ability either, but I am focused on why he needs to touch the 4th prince because that sounds like he's trying to fulfill a condition for some nen ability. There are a couple of characters in the series that I think started off with an ability and added onto them over time, two in particular are Bonolenov and Biscuit. Both have abilities that multiple expressions but each ability shares a common base with it's different modes. Through the condition of dancing and producing a song Bonolenov has created a full suit of ceremonial armor complete with a spear and a planet. Bicuit's nen masseur has at least 3-4 different types of soothing lotions that all have very different effects ranging from increasing the effectiveness of sleep, to presumably being able to shrink her down to the doll-like body she's commonly seen in. I think it's not too unreasonable to believe that they started with one idea and over time added on more functions.

When I look at how Killua developed his lightning techniques I can see how someone who finds an ability that suits them can develop and change it over time. For Killua he started off just being able to generate electricity and between Greed Island and the Chimera Ant's arc he figures out how to take that same electric aura and create his pre-programmed motions, and god speed form; but they were not a part of his original specifications, rather a logical growth of that initial idea.

This brings me back to Kurapika. He's a conjurer who has created 5 different chains that all share the same base, but offer different functions based on the piece at the end. His original goal was to take down the Phantom Troupe but failed to kill more than two members and both of those were suicide. We don't know what's happened to him in the intervening time but over a year has passed and it seems that he's dedicated his time and resources to tracking down the remaining pairs of eyes. It does bear mentioning that he always keeps his chains manifested and he doesn't show more than the usual 5 in the most recent chapters so it may be that he just used Judgement Chain on those two people to get them to hand over the chains. But what I'm thinking is that he created another chain or a function to a previous one to add to his arsenal that can only be manifested under the condition that he's in contact with someone. Judgement chain didn't have that restriction as far as we've seen and chain jail can't be used on anyone else but members of the Phantom troupe.

All in all, yes. Whatever he's going to do is going to require absolute discretion. He's not going after just any politician, he's going after a crown prince of a nation recently added to the ranks of the former V5 on a mission to "colonize" the forbidden continent. Even if he doesn't have a new ability, I'm really interested to see how he's going to go about all this, while also dealing with the battle royale about to erupt.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Brought To You By posted:

I agree that he loses his weight as a mafia boss, and that the two previous people he mentioned could have just been intimidated into doing so. However, since Kurapika was willing to have the rest of his group call off their bodyguard duty in the event that he can at the very least shake hands with the 4th prince.

I don't think it's easy to adjust or change an existing ability either, but I am focused on why he needs to touch the 4th prince because that sounds like he's trying to fulfill a condition for some nen ability. There are a couple of characters in the series that I think started off with an ability and added onto them over time, two in particular are Bonolenov and Biscuit. Both have abilities that multiple expressions but each ability shares a common base with it's different modes. Through the condition of dancing and producing a song Bonolenov has created a full suit of ceremonial armor complete with a spear and a planet. Bicuit's nen masseur has at least 3-4 different types of soothing lotions that all have very different effects ranging from increasing the effectiveness of sleep, to presumably being able to shrink her down to the doll-like body she's commonly seen in. I think it's not too unreasonable to believe that they started with one idea and over time added on more functions.

By the way, can I mention the only beef I have with the chimera ant arc is that in the lead up to the invasion Morel is tired and not at 100%, and Bisky doesn't use her masseuse ability to get him battle ready?

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
I don't think she reveals her nen ability casually. No one does (except Leorio and his nen kind of sucks).

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
I should point out that we still don't know what Kurapika's Pointer Finger chain does.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Tunicate posted:

By the way, can I mention the only beef I have with the chimera ant arc is that in the lead up to the invasion Morel is tired and not at 100%, and Bisky doesn't use her masseuse ability to get him battle ready?

Bisky was not around.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

MonsterEnvy posted:

I should point out that we still don't know what Kurapika's Pointer Finger chain does.

Huh, That could be it then. One finger for the Phantom Troupe, and one for the people with his kinsmen's eyes.

Brought To You By fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Apr 17, 2016

logger
Jun 28, 2008

...and in what manner the Ancyent Marinere came back to his own Country.
Soiled Meat

MonsterEnvy posted:

Bisky was not around.

Yeah she already escaped because she was afraid of Palm.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yeah, Kurapika's last chain is a huge mystery; he's bound some of his abilities up in such tight restrictions that, between that and Emperor Time, Togashi could pull out nearly anything for the final one.

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Apr 17, 2016

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Pewdiepie posted:

its specialty nen left on the pot.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Serious Frolicking posted:

I don't think she reveals her nen ability casually. No one does (except Leorio and his nen kind of sucks).

Leorio's ability is actually really, really good for its intended purpose, tho.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Leorio's ability is actually insanely good as shown by Ging. Granted, Ging is top 5 in the world at using Nen but the multiple warp punch and the ultrasound he came up with on the spot based on Leorio's ability kinda points to the potential it has.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Didn't Ging say that developing the ultrasound was probably what led him to developing the warp punch, actually?

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
For all of the talk about the Princes, there's also a few other big plot threads going on at the same time that'll be happening including the thing with Beyond and possibly whatever Gon's going to do. In any other author's hands, I'd imagine it'd be a clusterfuck, but with Togashi, he'll probably make it work.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Xelkelvos posted:

For all of the talk about the Princes, there's also a few other big plot threads going on at the same time that'll be happening including the thing with Beyond and possibly whatever Gon's going to do. In any other author's hands, I'd imagine it'd be a clusterfuck, but with Togashi, he'll probably make it work.

I wouldn't be surprised if the entire arc is plotted put in full already, maybe that's what he spends his hiatus time doing.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Xelkelvos posted:

That is a fair point; while I was saying that the boat ride/prince arc may well be its own full thing before the Dark Continent arc, the business with Beyond, Pariston, and Ging is probably going to go down on the boat as well, unless they decide to lie low until they actually get to the continent. Things have the potential to get really crazy.

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

Hey for all we know there could be more to Leorio's ability than that and the warp punch is just the only part of it we've seen

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

There's really no meaning in making beetles fight.
Well he's a doctor, he can probably send his waves inside people and surgically alter them.
With his knowledge, he could become baki-esque in his ability to fix people: "oh yeah, i increased your white blood cell count by 10 000x, gave you increased blood flow in your legs and also stimulated your adrenal glands into overdrive. you're good to go!"

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Yeah Leorio created his ability to be used in doctoring, and like a lot of the other non-specific abilities it's sort of weak but open to a lot of creative uses. Remember that Hisoka is one of the strongest characters and his ability is super useless at first look.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Saw the dub on toonami. Overall I think they did a pretty good job.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.

Tunicate posted:

Saw the dub on toonami. Overall I think they did a pretty good job.

Impressive how Kurapika somehow comes across like even more of an edgelord in English. But yeah it was good.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Yeah I liked the dub. It will take a bit getting used to the voices but that was a given.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sarcophallus
Jun 12, 2011

by Lowtax

I.. don't think that's even true. :confused: