Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
Only twenty minutes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

quote:

Sad thing is, I wrote that in 20 minutes

There is a lot more for him to be sad about holy sheesh

:whitewater:

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy
Yo here's an incredibly rambling and pandering promo where John Cena finally turns heel and officially brings back the Attitude Era and the sad thing is, I wrote that in 20 minutes

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.
That is actually pretty sad for 20 minutes worth of work.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
John Cena as Batman.

I am vengeance.

I am the night.

I am JOHN CENA (doot doo doo doo)

Equeen
Oct 29, 2011

Pole dance~

ungulateman posted:

John Cena as Batman.

I am vengeance.

I am the night.

I am JOHN CENA (doot doo doo doo)

Please, a pair of jorts can fool him. :rolleyes:

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

I am greatful for my loop pedal
Im going to ask a question to frequent posters in here talking about the editing of the film and it might sound confrontational but Im actually just curious

Do any of you have any formal education in editing or have any experience editing narrative films?

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

AccountSupervisor posted:

Im going to ask a question to frequent posters in here talking about the editing of the film and it might sound confrontational but Im actually just curious

Do any of you have any formal education in editing or have any experience editing narrative films?

no lol

Equeen
Oct 29, 2011

Pole dance~

AccountSupervisor posted:

The Cameo had a pretty decent post about editing:

The Cameo posted:

Assembly cuts usually end up being long like that. Age of Ultron and BvS aren't like M:I 2 where the cut Woo actually wanted to put in theaters was well over three hours. An assembly cut is literally all the scenes you shot slapped together by an editor, using the best takes, to give an amorphous version of the film, much like a rough draft of a story is every goddamn thing that goes through your mind. You could just as well call it an outline cut. Every single plotline, every single character beat, every single thing deemed important enough to print to film is in that damned thing. They're practically dailies laid end to end.

Then you start tearing things out because the editor and director and producer see what things are egregious to the story, what's repetitive statements or character beats, who's important to the story and who's not, and all those little things, and the film whittles down by minutes at a time. And that's just called a rough cut, and that's the one you start showing to the people paying for the picture to show them you haven't hosed the football on their dime. The rough cut is also when you start to go "okay we need to reshoot this, maybe add a beat here" and you start lining up what you're going to use the (normally) already allotted time for pick-ups/reshoots so that when you get to the next step you're not going to be missing anything.

Then you're down to the fine cut. On a bigger movie you're getting finalized FX shots and score is being recorded and laid into the sound mix and sound editors are combing over the cuts and adding foley and you're maybe coming close on locking some of the reels that are less intensive on things and studio screenings are happening and the color timing is locked and everything's at a boil. This is where Snyder and Brenner probably felt great about their three hour cut and then between this and the picture lock (in fact maybe after picture lock, since apparently there was some screenings of this cut as well as an MPAA screening that earned it the R rating) some execs were like "we want this to be 2.5 and oh yeah IT MUST BE PG-13, you sickos" to squeeze in an extra screening a day and they basically had to rip a couple entire character arcs out to make it work.

And then picture locks and FX shots are finalizing and music locks and sound mixing is finalizing and by that point the studio's lining schedules up for everyone for junkets and premieres against people's other obligations. If you're Snyder, you start storyboarding Justice League off of Terrio's latest draft and figuring logistics like shooting locations and whatnot (like Fong having a schedule problem thanks to Skull Island's shooting period and pick-up time coming right in the middle of JL production so gotta find a new DP).

People can remark that directors are turning in real long assembly cuts all they want but the initial Fury Road assembly cut was like five hours long (out of 480 hours of footage, so already that's a culling beyond belief) and Sixel got it to a little over 120 minutes. Editing is a balancing act and a series of gut decisions that you don't necessarily know will pan out. People relate editing to screenwriting quite often, and that's because in the end you're still kind of bumbling around in the dark with a lot of ideas to sift through and figuring out what darlings you can kill and what ones take the whole thing down with them if you do and you're just constantly slamming your head against miniscule moments and revising and revising and revising and revising and

(what I'm saying is that the internet is beginning to have a habit of using the assembly cut against a movie when they're completely missing the intent of an assembly cut in the first place. Age of Ultron's problems aren't sourced in the fact that Whedon had a four-hour cut in assembly, because he was never going to seriously try to put that cut out in theaters.)

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Equeen posted:

What could have been...

I can't believe we were deprived of such wonderful lines like, "You thought a pair of glasses could fool the world's greatest detective?" and "Tell that to Zod's snapped neck."

my script is better

Equeen
Oct 29, 2011

Pole dance~

CelticPredator posted:

my script is better

SUPERMAN: Tell that to Zod's snapped neck.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

Equeen posted:

SUPERMAN: Tell that to Zod's snapped neck.

The title this thread deserves.

Mazzagatti2Hotty
Jan 23, 2012

JON JONES APOLOGIST #3

CelticPredator posted:

my script is better

:master:

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

CelticPredator posted:

my script is better

Ya but how long did it take you to write it homey?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

alt ending

Uatu The Lurker
Sep 14, 2003

I can say no more!
Already I have over stayed my time in this ephemeral sphere!

Shoulda been this.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Wasn't expecting that. I legit LOL'd.

JonathonSpectre
Jul 23, 2003

I replaced the Shermatar and text with this because I don't wanna see racial slurs every time you post what the fuck

Soiled Meat

CelticPredator posted:

my script is better

I can't tell you how much I love, "It's a homing grenade."

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Gotdamm autocorrect

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Equeen posted:

What could have been...

I can't believe we were deprived of such wonderful lines like, "You thought a pair of glasses could fool the world's greatest detective?" and "Tell that to Zod's snapped neck."

The only thing worse than a work a nerd feels they have to correct, is the work that nerd makes to correct it.

Except this this is dope

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

Equeen posted:

What could have been...

Man, he's getting raked over the coals for this

sponges fucked around with this message at 06:52 on Apr 17, 2016

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

Y Kant Ozma Diet posted:

As he should be, that's high school student fanfiction tier garbage.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Y Kant Ozma Diet posted:

Deservedly so. Him being all smug about it, coupled with his smug-looking profile picture isn't doing him any favors too heh.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Wheeee posted:

It's not even that right it's the smugness of the "this only took me 20 minutes :smug:" line

He could have easily approached it like "I'm not a professional writer but here are my ideas for improving this scene, maybe some banter would help". Instead he thought what he wrote was a vast improvement done in record time. He's delusional about his talent and super smug about it, it's pretty funny!

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

Wheeee posted:

The dialogue is so clunky. They're speaking in blatant exposition.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Seems like he's backpedaling on twitter now and said he did it for "kicks". Yeah, well... he should tell that to Zod's snapped neck lmao. That loving line.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Oh weird he did it for kicks? So he wasn't going to submit that script to WB and hopefully get that scene reshot for the director's cut? Well then in that case I guess call off the dogs fellas.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
People are really desperate to avoid the Martha line, huh?

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

"Tell that to the car wreck containing my father's mangled corpse," said Tony Stark.

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

And doesn't Superman already know that Bruce Wayne is Batman when they fight?

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Y Kant Ozma Diet posted:

And doesn't Superman already know that Bruce Wayne is Batman when they fight?

Yeah, Clark figures it out in like, 5 seconds at Lex's manor, same as Wonder Woman and Mercy Graves.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Guy A. Person posted:

Oh weird he did it for kicks? So he wasn't going to submit that script to WB and hopefully get that scene reshot for the director's cut? Well then in that case I guess call off the dogs fellas.

I'm more surprised he didn't use the "but I said I did it in 20 minutes" option select as a response to everyone making GBS threads all over him on twitter, haha. Not sure if that would have been worse or not though.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
I don't much regret saying that the writing in the actual fight between BatSupes is pretty ace. The characters' ideologies are expressed in way more memorable and concise terms than whatever that kind of garbage is.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

teagone posted:

Seems like he's backpedaling on twitter now and said he did it for "kicks". Yeah, well... he should tell that to Zod's snapped neck lmao. That loving line.

I'm not even sure why Batman would say something like that. It's like... did he sympathize with Zod or...?

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

Milky Moor posted:

I'm not even sure why Batman would say something like that. It's like... did he sympathize with Zod or...?

Yeah there's no way this Batman would give a gently caress about Zod being killed. Batman kills low level henchmen in BvS.

sponges fucked around with this message at 08:14 on Apr 17, 2016

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Sylink posted:

Question: Why didn't superman take the scout ship away from the city by BvS? Wouldn't he want it back in safe hands (in the Arctic or wherever) rather than leave for Lex/governments to peruse?

This is actually a good example of distorted fan expectations: this persistent question of "why didn't Superman..." is based on the presumption that the character can do anything, and therefore the universe is an expression of his will.

Why didn't the character break into Area 52 and steal a bunch of confiscated technology? The actual question is why on Earth would he? - and the only answer there is a tactical-realist assertion that the character must perform optimally. Speedrun for a 100% completion rating, and if anything bad happens it's because he allowed it.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Speedrun for a 100% completion rating, and if anything bad happens it's because he allowed it.

Superman hosed up by not demanding no items, Final Destination against Batman.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009

Sylink posted:

Its not like they could stop him.

The whole movie is already 2,5 hours about how they can't do nothing about it and how it scares people.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
I am really surprised this didn't break the billion dollar mark. I was pretty positive it would but uh no.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

CelticPredator posted:

my script is better

• Locked thread