Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Last time I was at a hospital, they had hand sanitizer dispensers at every entrance to an office.

I did the hand sanitizer thing because it was implied as the polite thing to do and more importantly it was easy.

E: I had just gotten done washing my hands/wrists in the bathroom.

goatsestretchgoals fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Apr 15, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

zedprime posted:

The final layer of HMI can have less rigor if its connected to a system doing the actual controlling that you can separately estop or tell it to stop listening to that HMI device. Its like saying an off the shelf mouse is inappropriate because someone might spill their Big Gulp on it and it will click the blow up button.

e. I seem to recall Nissan wired up a car to be controlled by a PS3 controller as a Gran Turismo promo but I can't find anything about it because they apparently wired up a crossover to be a PS4 controller to play soccer

Kind of the opposite, but the deluxe Ridge Racer arcade machine from years ago came with a real Mazda MX5 car to control it.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

theflyingexecutive posted:

It's true basically nothing can survive being dunked in EtOH, but more and more can survive an anemic spritz in some cranny
Also, CDC reports came out around when hand sanitizer use was getting big (prompted by the 2009 swine flu pandemic) showing that the 40% etoh solutions weren't particularly effective while the 63% ones were. That's why you only see the 63% ones around these days.

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

We can dance if we want to,
we can leave Marle behind.
'Cause your fiends don't dance,
and if they don't dance,
they'll get a Robo Fist of mine.

I don't use hand sanitizer because it doesn't make my hands feel clean, which is the most important part.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

GWBBQ posted:

Also, CDC reports came out around when hand sanitizer use was getting big (prompted by the 2009 swine flu pandemic) showing that the 40% etoh solutions weren't particularly effective while the 63% ones were. That's why you only see the 63% ones around these days.

gently caress, does this mean I can't use cheap vodka to sanitize things anymore?

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Let's cuddle. :3:
Only if you distill it further beforehand.

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003
For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is John Galt? This is John Galt speaking. I am the man who loves his life. I am the man who does not sacrifice his love or his values. I am the man who has deprived you of victims and thus has destroyed your world, and if you wish to know why you are peris

Gromit posted:

Kind of the opposite, but the deluxe Ridge Racer arcade machine from years ago came with a real Mazda MX5 car to control it.

That's really cool, I never knew about that. There's no way this thing isn't worth an obscene amount of money at this point.

baquerd posted:

gently caress, does this mean I can't use cheap vodka to sanitize things anymore?

Looks like it's Everclear or nothing from now on! :v:

Edmund Sparkler fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Apr 15, 2016

froward
Jun 2, 2014

by Azathoth

FIRST TIME posted:

That's really cool, I never knew about that. There's no way this thing isn't worth an obscene amount of money at this point.

holy balls i thought that was a dumb throwaway joke. truth is stranger than fiction.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
Jesus christ you people and your soap. Hand sanitizer (correctly dosed) or plain soap and warm water.

Aren't you supposed to wear gloves while welding? This is one of the pictures that scrolls by on the autobody website I'm taking my car to for repairs. I mean it's no holding the hot part of the soldering iron to repair a motherboard, but it seems a little high on the UV scale for my taste.

Super Killbot
Jan 22, 2006

I am a kind and generous individual.
Well it looks like he's just tack welding, so not much of a problem. I can probably get away with doing like 50 tacks before I have to start worrying about getting a sunburn and I burn easy.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
This may be the least unsafe thing I have ever seen a forklift driver do while screwing around:

JB50
Feb 13, 2008

Gorilla Salad posted:

This may be the least unsafe thing I have ever seen a forklift driver do while screwing around:

Thats just a double deep pallet jack, not a forkilft.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Pallet jacks are just baby forklifts.

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

Gorilla Salad posted:

OSHA or not, I love this with every bone in my body.

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

BURY ME AS I LIVED, A FREE MAN ON THE CLUTCH

JB50 posted:

To be pedantic, it's a "stand-up rider". Because it is powered, one would usually still call it a "fork truck" but not a "fork lift"

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Gorilla Salad posted:

loving owns

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

H110Hawk posted:

Jesus christ you people and your soap. Hand sanitizer (correctly dosed) or plain soap and warm water.

Warm water doesn't get your hands cleaner than cold water. It's a massive waste of energy.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
yeah. if you're not using scalding hot water you're just loving around and no thanks, that poo poo hurts

when you have a kid one of the safety recommendations is to cap your water heater at like 120 degrees. i'll roll the dice and get water so hot it steams out of my faucet, it's pretty handy

boner confessor fucked around with this message at 06:54 on Apr 17, 2016

MG3
Mar 29, 2016

The Wiggly Wizard posted:

Warm water doesn't get your hands cleaner than cold water. It's a massive waste of energy.

Warm water feels better though, so who cares about the wasted energy

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

The Wiggly Wizard posted:

While it's not hot enough to kill bacteria, the warm water helps remove bacteria by removing dirt/oil that the bacteria thrive in.

EKDS5k
Feb 22, 2012

THIS IS WHAT HAPPENS WHEN YOU LET YOUR BEER FREEZE, DAMNIT

Super Killbot posted:

Well it looks like he's just tack welding, so not much of a problem. I can probably get away with doing like 50 tacks before I have to start worrying about getting a sunburn and I burn easy.

Isn't UV damage cumulative over your life?

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

EKDS5k posted:

Isn't UV damage cumulative over your life?

All the skin cells currently on the outside of your body will be gone entirely a month from now.

Genesplicer
Oct 19, 2002

I give your invention the worst grade imaginable: An A-minus-minus!

Total Clam

DONT CARE BUTTON posted:

I have a friend who is a middle school teacher and doesn't keep any hand sanitizer in his classroom

I don't have any in my classroom. Instead, I have a gang sink with six faucets and plenty of soap. If we need etoh, I have a supply of isopropanol. Not the same, but reasonably effective at 91%.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
Just cut your hands off

plain blue jacket
Jan 13, 2014

IT DOESN'T STOP
IT NEVER STOPS
I'm very angry about hand sanitizer

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

He had a parachute and tripped for a joke

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Say Nothing posted:

I think I'd be pretty pissed if someone pulled that on me.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

Popular Thug Drink posted:

when you have a kid one of the safety recommendations is to cap your water heater at like 120 degrees. i'll roll the dice and get water so hot it steams out of my faucet, it's pretty handy

If you get a tankless water heater, they generally cap out at 120-130*F by design. Saves you over-heating the water when you're about to cool it down with a cold-water mix. I usually do my dishes with straight hot water now since it's just at the edge of uncomfortable.

:spergin:

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
On the flip side, the small size of RV water heaters means that your SOP is to run them hot and then mix with cold water at the tap. That way you get longer runtime at your shower temp.

We have a dual fuel heater, the propane side has a 65c thermostat, stock. then we have an electric one that has a separate thermostat, set as low as it'll go which is 55C.

Gotta be pretty careful, but it allows for nice long showers out of a six gallon tank.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

Sockington posted:

If you get a tankless water heater, they generally cap out at 120-130*F by design. Saves you over-heating the water when you're about to cool it down with a cold-water mix. I usually do my dishes with straight hot water now since it's just at the edge of uncomfortable.

:spergin:

I've got a tankless at work that is skin-blisteringly hot. I'm pretty sure it's more like 175F.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

JB50 posted:

Does it have a fork? Does it lift with that fork? :smugmrgw:

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

The biggest waste with warm water is that all buildings aren't fitted with a sun-heated system that could easily provide more than half of the hot water used in it during Summer (or about 100% if you're in an area where it's always sunny during Summer).

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Say Nothing posted:

I hope his knee is all right :ohdear:

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Gorilla Salad posted:

This is pretty cool

OSHA would not be amused

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Gorilla Salad posted:

This may be the least unsafe thing I have ever seen a forklift driver do while horsing around:

The pun was right there and you blew it.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

Three-Phase posted:

I've got a tankless at work that is skin-blisteringly hot. I'm pretty sure it's more like 175F.

I looked into that, and I guess it's our water heater rental company's policy not to go beyond 130*F. :eng99:

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

Sockington posted:

I looked into that, and I guess it's our water heater rental company's policy not to go beyond 130*F. :eng99:

The problem I have is with a central heater, there's a warmup time depending on the length of the piping. (if you're in an apartment complex and take hot showers at odd hours, this can be agonizingly long, like several minutes).

With those local heaters, you get water at the maximum temperature in seconds. That's not a problem as long as the maximum temperature isn't set too high. Where I'm at, on some of these you turn the faucet and it blasts burning hot water.

I'm going to ask about turning the temperature setting down on them.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

mostlygray posted:

To be pedantic, it's a "stand-up rider". Because it is powered, one would usually still call it a "fork truck" but not a "fork lift"

My institute just considers them "low-lift trucks" or something like that and teaches them as one of several varieties of forklift, along with rough-terrain forklifts (both vertical mast and boom-mounted lifts) and "industrial" forklifts, which are what most people picture when told to think of a forklift.

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Dorks on facebook get really mad apparently when you tell them they shouldn't be testing an octcopter with 15" props in your hotel room, while holding onto the landing gear, and bringing your friend in to record it and share with your buds on the official DJI group. One went as so far as to look me up on linkedin and try to argue that not having several years experience in high end aerial photography means I can't talk about the dangers of giant carbon props spinning 18 inches over someones head because they're too lazy to remove props or test their motor orientation in a safer location with some sandbags

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Budgie
Mar 9, 2007
Yeah, like the bird.
You can't record this then not post the video.