Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
Actually that came up in the MK7 forum thread about it. Apparently you can buy an android phone for like 20 bucks at Best Buy.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/boost-mobile-zte-speed-4g-no-contract-cell-phone-black/2178004.p?id=1219531560050&skuId=2178004

Also, here's the thread about the OBD11.
http://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15896

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
I've looked up the diy videos on YouTube for doing the fluid and filter flush on a dog but has anyone done it here? On a scale of one to ten how bad is it? I got a laughable quote for 900+ bucks for my 40k service which also includes dog service, fuel filter and an oil/filter change.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
I didn't even know dogs had filters. I've never changed the one on my dog!

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
OBD11 is awesome. You can even turn off soundaktor now.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Uthor posted:

I didn't even know dogs had filters. I've never changed the one on my dog!

DSG, he's just being a goon.

charismaslover
Dec 3, 2006

Too stylish for this world...
For those interested the emissions software update campaign went live today in the UK for A4/A5 models with no prior warning or announcement to the dealer network. Proper forward planning that.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

veedubfreak posted:

DSG, he's just being a goon.

Autocorrect :argh:

PabloBOOM
Mar 10, 2004
Hunchback of DOOM
So I might be starting a VW adventure. Looking at a 2009 GTI with about 100k miles. Small shop/dealer asking a little over 9 grand with the DSG. Stopped by on a whim to drive it today and was impressed by the shape it was in. Other than some things I'm willing to overlook (magic shrinking headliner, and a torn seem on the driver's seat that could be fixed in 60 sec), seemed solid. PO had it maintained at the shop so they have records and then the shop bought it off him when he upgraded.

I'm doing my homework over the weekend since I haven't paid close attention to VW or cars in general since the MkVs were new. A buddy who is a VAG fanatic is going out Monday to check it out with me, but any standard maintenance to check on or resources that could make my research easier would be awesome!

Mat_Drinks
Nov 18, 2002

mmm this nitromethane gets my supercharger runnin'

Wicaeed posted:

:argh:

gently caress California roads! In the 8 months I've had my S3 I've already had one flat, and over 10 rocks pummel my windshield on the way to work (~40 mile commute)

Today on the way home I somehow managed to blow out TWO tires at once, and am finally home after waiting 2 hours for a tow :argh:

If you've got the stock PZeros still you might want to replace them with a more pothole resistant tire. I had one bubble up with 2k from a moderate pothole and google searching returned a ton of results of people having similar issues.

Withnail
Feb 11, 2004
I have a 2015 sportwagen and a little extra cash. Should I:

1. get a malone tune
2. buy some box
3. donīt bothe
4. ?

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Wait to see how the recall plays out before you spend a cent on it

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

BADGES? WE DON'T NEED NO STINKIN' BADGES!

PabloBOOM posted:

So I might be starting a VW adventure. Looking at a 2009 GTI with about 100k miles. Small shop/dealer asking a little over 9 grand with the DSG. Stopped by on a whim to drive it today and was impressed by the shape it was in. Other than some things I'm willing to overlook (magic shrinking headliner, and a torn seem on the driver's seat that could be fixed in 60 sec), seemed solid. PO had it maintained at the shop so they have records and then the shop bought it off him when he upgraded.

I'm doing my homework over the weekend since I haven't paid close attention to VW or cars in general since the MkVs were new. A buddy who is a VAG fanatic is going out Monday to check it out with me, but any standard maintenance to check on or resources that could make my research easier would be awesome!
Make sure the DSG services have been done and the timing chain tensioner has been updated. Also, 2009's have a common issue with the ABS module going out. If you can, try to test drive it in the wet and see if the ABS kicks in under hard braking. The ABS and traction lights will come on and ABS will not activate if there is an issue. Curiously, these lights go away when you restart the car, so they only way you can tell if you have an issue is by attempting to activate the ABS on the road. You might also be able to scan for codes with vagcom but if they've been cleared by the PO or dealer, there will be nothing there. It's a costly fix.

Qmass
Jun 3, 2003

Any Australians know where I can get the OE piston diverter valve for a mk5 GTI locally? My car still has the stock diaphragm valve and I'm starting to get some errors popping up so I guess its starting to fail...

Qmass fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Apr 10, 2016

DrChu
May 14, 2002

Mat_Drinks posted:

If you've got the stock PZeros still you might want to replace them with a more pothole resistant tire. I had one bubble up with 2k from a moderate pothole and google searching returned a ton of results of people having similar issues.

In the year I've had my 2010 with 18" Detroits I've lost two PZeros to potholes that caused sidewall bubbles. This weekend I dropped down to 17" Goals with BFGoodrich g-Force Comp-2 A/S tires. Hoping they hold up better, the 10 pounds less per wheel should make it drive a little better as well.

raej
Sep 25, 2003

"Being drunk is the worst feeling of all. Except for all those other feelings."
We're replacing my wife's 2011 X5 with a 2011-2013 Q7 TDI and I have a question about the MMI system. I see they updated it a bit in MY 2012, so I was wondering what all that entailed. I see there is a SIM slot. Would we be able to take our phone SIM from AT&T and stick it in there for Audi Connect to work? Or are there special SIMs for it?

We're leaning towards a 2012 Prestige for sale locally. Anything to bug the dealer about or check on before purchasing?

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe
Anyone here put any Diamond Racing Wheels on their car? I've been striking out trying to find used, wider tires for my Golf and these prices are very hard to sneeze at.

BelDin
Jan 29, 2001
So my AC quit on the drive back to Charlotte. The next day, my engine temp is running a little high in traffic. I poke around under the hood, and what do I find over the battery?

2001 Audi TT Quattro Roadster

Is there anything I should be testing outside of the cooling fans and cooling fan control module under the battery? Should I just wire a fuse in before replacing the tray, or is it common? It looks like it's been exposed to some heat or spark from a bad connection.

BelDin fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Apr 13, 2016

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

BelDin
Jan 29, 2001

Fixed right after... posting from my phone and it cut off the .jpg part. How do I computer? Not very well, apparently.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

scuz posted:

Anyone here put any Diamond Racing Wheels on their car? I've been striking out trying to find used, wider tires for my Golf and these prices are very hard to sneeze at.

It's been a long time, but I think they require special lug nuts to fit properly.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

BelDin posted:

So my AC quit on the drive back to Charlotte. The next day, my engine temp is running a little high in traffic. I poke around under the hood, and what do I find over the battery?

2001 Audi TT Quattro Roadster

Is there anything I should be testing outside of the cooling fans and cooling fan control module under the battery? Should I just wire a fuse in before replacing the tray, or is it common? It looks like it's been exposed to some heat or spark from a bad connection.

Did something short the pins? How the hell did that happen?

BelDin
Jan 29, 2001

veedubfreak posted:

Did something short the pins? How the hell did that happen?

No clue... I'm wondering if one of the fans failed and generated too much resistance somehow. That, or the fuse had bad contact and arced. I checked the alternator cable when I replaced it a couple years ago, and will check the wire to the control module as well.

I've never seen one melt and not pop first.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe

BlackMK4 posted:

It's been a long time, but I think they require special lug nuts to fit properly.
Yup, their website states as much. Still, it's a deal but some folks are pointing me towards Basset wheels, stating they're more durable and have a stronger customer service reputation. I'll probably ring both of em up and see what's goin on. I'd love to have something like 9" wide wheels cuz I'm unsure on spacers and I like the look of really low-budget stock steel wheels.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

raej posted:

We're replacing my wife's 2011 X5 with a 2011-2013 Q7 TDI and I have a question about the MMI system. I see they updated it a bit in MY 2012, so I was wondering what all that entailed. I see there is a SIM slot. Would we be able to take our phone SIM from AT&T and stick it in there for Audi Connect to work? Or are there special SIMs for it?

We're leaning towards a 2012 Prestige for sale locally. Anything to bug the dealer about or check on before purchasing?
Yes, you need particular SIMs for it as the hardware will only work on certain networks; you'll need to google the specifics though. I think you also need to sign up for the service wth your VIN.

In my S4 the biggest updates from 2012 - 2013 MMI were reducing the number of menu buttons on the console from 8 to 4 and adding A2DP streaming.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
Someone broke my R :(

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

That'll buff out.

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice

veedubfreak posted:

This reminds me, I need to change my insurance on the R since if some shithead totals it, I already know how long it takes to get a replacement.

So.... did you?

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

NoWake posted:

So.... did you?

I went and talked to my insurance lady last Friday after getting sideswiped in the parking lot. And as I discovered, there's no way I can insure it against shitheads that damage it. Waiting to see if it's going to be totalled out or not. Either way I'm gonna get screwed, which doesn't surprise me in the slightest.

Mat_Drinks
Nov 18, 2002

mmm this nitromethane gets my supercharger runnin'

veedubfreak posted:

I went and talked to my insurance lady last Friday after getting sideswiped in the parking lot. And as I discovered, there's no way I can insure it against shitheads that damage it. Waiting to see if it's going to be totalled out or not. Either way I'm gonna get screwed, which doesn't surprise me in the slightest.

If the other driver was insured your insurance company should be going after them for you and I think you can realistically set the expectation for you insurance company that you want to be made as whole as possible. And really, isn't it for the best if it's totalled? The repairs would take forever, the history would be marked and even the best body shop has difficulty with blending into OEM paint.

Now you can buy an Audi S3 because you looooove them so much :3:

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Mat_Drinks posted:

If the other driver was insured your insurance company should be going after them for you and I think you can realistically set the expectation for you insurance company that you want to be made as whole as possible. And really, isn't it for the best if it's totalled? The repairs would take forever, the history would be marked and even the best body shop has difficulty with blending into OEM paint.

It also depends on what his coverage is. If he's got liability only then he's pretty straight hosed if the other guy was uninsured.

edit: don't drive around in nice cars (or really even one you bought new) with liability only. That's for college kids driving disposable beaters.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
Nah I have full coverage. I dropped it at the same body shop that has fixed my car the last 5 times some idiot hit me. It's easier for me to let their lawyers go after Geico than for me to gently caress with it.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Mat_Drinks posted:

I mean, it's usually easier if it's totaled. It's not hard to match OEM paint if you have a competent shop. Repairs would probably not be too bad. I would be surprised if it's totaled.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Bovril Delight posted:

It's not hard to match OEM paint if you have a competent shop.

Hahaha, not for metallic colors.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Bovril Delight posted:

I mean, it's usually easier if it's totaled. It's not hard to match OEM paint if you have a competent shop. Repairs would probably not be too bad. I would be surprised if it's totaled.

It's metalflake black with pearl :(

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

BlackMK4 posted:

Hahaha, not for metallic colors.

The high end shops do it all the time. Who else do you think does the body work on the Lambos, Ferraris, etc? Those cars cost a fortune and don't total because you can throw boatloads of labor at them.

If you're taking your car to caliber or abra or whatever chain shop you'd better hope you know them.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

How on earth have you been hit 5 times over the lifespan of one car? I've still never been in an accident over decades of driving, that just seems crazy to me. I can't be THAT much better at anticipating idiots running red lights and staying out of blind spots than you, right? Do you just live in drunksville, USA or something?

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Pryor on Fire posted:

How on earth have you been hit 5 times over the lifespan of one car? I've still never been in an accident over decades of driving, that just seems crazy to me. I can't be THAT much better at anticipating idiots running red lights and staying out of blind spots than you, right? Do you just live in drunksville, USA or something?

They've read his post history :v:

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Pryor on Fire posted:

3 different cars.

GLI
Snow plow hit my car in parking lot 06
Side swiped and put into a concrete barrier 08
rear end in a top hat broke into car and damaged B pillar later in 08

TDI
Car blew red light and tboned truck. Truck flips and lands on my hood. '13

R
Kid makes left turn without looking and tbones me

Colorado drivers are extra stupid. It's all the Californians and Floridians moving here for legal weed.

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

veedubfreak posted:

I dropped it at the same body shop that has fixed my car the last 5 times some idiot hit me.

Umm... If you've been hit 5 times I'm pretty sure it's not the other guy that's the idiot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

HatfulOfHollow posted:

Umm... If you've been hit 5 times I'm pretty sure it's not the other guy that's the idiot.

Uhm, you realize 3 of the 5 were when I was either NOT in the car or not moving right?