Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!

Waffleman_ posted:

Wanna see 2016 Godzilla fight 2014 Godzilla.

https://twitter.com/ulaken/status/720378471873024000

LET THEM FIGHT!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zero_Tactility
Nov 25, 2007

Look into my eyes.

Waffleman_ posted:

Wanna see 2016 Godzilla fight 2014 Godzilla.

Frankly, I would watch Angry Bear Godzilla (2014) fight almost anything, but that sounds pretty good.

Greekonomics
Jun 22, 2009

Dy! Dy! Dy! Dy! Dynaman!

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
Is Amazons worth watching if I haven't seen the original?

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.

Some Numbers posted:

It is. I haven't watched the original and it's still really intriguing. It's paced more like a drama then current Rider, too, so you aren't having to constantly ignore the action in favor of reading.

gourdcaptain
Nov 16, 2012

Some Numbers posted:

Unless there's some twist later on, the amount of actual connection this has with the original Amazon beyond some designs and a few nods is basically none. Not that it makes this bad, but it really does feel more like Shin Kamen Rider even. (Only done in any way well.)

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Don't it make your dick bust concrete to be in the same room with two noble, selfless public servants.

Some Numbers posted:

I'm enjoying it. The closest analogy I can think of is comparing Daredevil/Jessica Jones to Arrow/Flash.

Darksaber
Oct 18, 2001

Are you even trying?

V-Men posted:

I'm enjoying it. The closest analogy I can think of is comparing Daredevil/Jessica Jones to Arrow/Flash.

That's the analogy someone else made to me and it works well. I also just saw about the Kamen Rider Mach / Heart v-cinema, is it unusual for a show to get this much post-series material, or do I just not notice it since I didn't like the other shows as well as Drive?

Also related, here's some korean toku that the company actually put english subs up for on Youtube. The first two eps are up and they're honestly decent? Called Legend Heroes: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mUKUjYIsnUA

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

Darksaber posted:

That's the analogy someone else made to me and it works well. I also just saw about the Kamen Rider Mach / Heart v-cinema, is it unusual for a show to get this much post-series material, or do I just not notice it since I didn't like the other shows as well as Drive?

Also related, here's some korean toku that the company actually put english subs up for on Youtube. The first two eps are up and they're honestly decent? Called Legend Heroes: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mUKUjYIsnUA

Gaim has gotten like 2-3 post series things I think. Not sure about any others.

OZC
Jan 28, 2008

Darksaber posted:

As mentioned, Gaim got two post-series releases, and W got the Eternal and Accel V-Cinemas too.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I think Den-O popped up a lot for a few years, to the point where he was actually headlining the 40th anniversary movie alongside OOO.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Waffleman_ posted:

I think Den-O popped up a lot for a few years, to the point where he was actually headlining the 40th anniversary movie alongside OOO.

He had a bunch of movies and then the time travel thing was used for crossovers a couple times

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax
Kamen Rider Heart is super weird, considering Drive's series ending. I hope they don't jump the shark. Though maybe it won't matter because Heart was/is awesome and he'll be hilarious playing off Gou.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Darksaber posted:

I loving love non Japanese tokusatsu. It's always so weird to see, but very appreciated and great. BIMA Satria Garuda was a joy to see get made.

Korea doing it should be VERY interesting.

Also to earlier comparisons- Amazons is very much its own thing. It doesn't have the organic style that Shin went for, but spiritually they're very similar. Very curious to see where it goes in its story. And yeah, the only possible thing I could see linking back to the actual Kamen Rider Amazon would be if they got the Amazon cells from him or something.

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!
It's been a pretty exciting couple of weeks for Toku, really. The Korean tokusatsu is just the cherry on the sundae. Seriously:

Dynaman started getting some serious subs,
New episodes of Gavan on Millionfold as well,

O-T gifting us with Amazon and continuing to do an exceptional job on Ghost, Zoo-ranger, and Time Ranger, then putting out ANOTHER series, with Makai Tales.

Then we had weeaboo shogun finish up Winspector, which is always exciting when subs for an entire series exists, and the promise of more of the metal hero rescue series to come. It's a really great time to be a tokusatsu fan.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
I'm actually super turned off by the Korean one. I only saw the first episode fwiw, and I couldn't stand the main character and the toy design. Obviously it's not going to be as polished as anything by Japan, but I really couldn't get into it.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

I thought Legend Heros giving a the main suit a beard that transforms was pretty neat.

Scratchman Apoo
Mar 27, 2011

Cricken_Nigfops posted:

It's been a pretty exciting couple of weeks for Toku, really. The Korean tokusatsu is just the cherry on the sundae. Seriously:

Dynaman started getting some serious subs,
New episodes of Gavan on Millionfold as well,

O-T gifting us with Amazon and continuing to do an exceptional job on Ghost, Zoo-ranger, and Time Ranger, then putting out ANOTHER series, with Makai Tales.

Then we had weeaboo shogun finish up Winspector, which is always exciting when subs for an entire series exists, and the promise of more of the metal hero rescue series to come. It's a really great time to be a tokusatsu fan.

Weeaboo Shogun was a big surprise. I usually expect this sub groups to drop out and disappear forever, but they actually finished Winspector really quickly all things considered.

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

I take it you don't want my autograph, then.

SSA Doron Changer

Prepare your wallets etc

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

Man Genis is way more scary then any of the Kibaoni Corps ever was.

I'm pretty sure he killed more people essentially by himself in this single episode then the entire Kibaoni Corps did ever.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Stallion Cabana posted:

Man Genis is way more scary then any of the Kibaoni Corps ever was.

I'm pretty sure he killed more people essentially by himself in this single episode then the entire Kibaoni Corps did ever.

That cat's definitely not coming back, and you know there were people who were trapped in buildings or tripped while running. Genis definitely hosed up that entire town in a big way.

What do you think the Super Sentai villain record for highest ludicrous body count is? I know there was that one guy in Dekaranger that they brought up on charges of Space Landsharking of 13 planets, presumably resulting in the death or displacement of probably at least 100 billion sentient life forms.

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises
Genis killed a cat.

He is a monster that must be stopped.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

deadly_pudding posted:

That cat's definitely not coming back, and you know there were people who were trapped in buildings or tripped while running. Genis definitely hosed up that entire town in a big way.

What do you think the Super Sentai villain record for highest ludicrous body count is? I know there was that one guy in Dekaranger that they brought up on charges of Space Landsharking of 13 planets, presumably resulting in the death or displacement of probably at least 100 billion sentient life forms.

Don't know about Sentai, but on the Kamen Rider side of things, it's probably Spider Dopant of all things(at least when not counting any time travel related shenanigans), at least for onscreen kills

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

drrockso20 posted:

Don't know about Sentai, but on the Kamen Rider side of things, it's probably Spider Dopant of all things(at least when not counting any time travel related shenanigans), at least for onscreen kills

I don't really watch the crossover movies so I can't really compare, but in Kuuga the grongi actually kept track of their kills.

Not a ludicrously high number but still morbid amidst how campy it all was.

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

deadly_pudding posted:

well according to this same episode the first time Genis turned on the monster he killed 10 Planets in a single day.

So I'm guessing Genis wins forever.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

T.G. Xarbala posted:

I don't really watch the crossover movies so I can't really compare, but in Kuuga the grongi actually kept track of their kills.

Not a ludicrously high number but still morbid amidst how campy it all was.

As far as I'm aware none of the Grongi kill more than a couple dozen people(not counting that one that goes nuclear for some reason when it blows up), Spider Dopant kills at least several hundred people during his final rampage, possibly even several thousand depending on how many people got killed by the explosions he caused(and this is just with a basic Gaia Memory, can't imagine how much stronger Spider would be using that belt that Nazca uses, or a T2 version)

gourdcaptain
Nov 16, 2012

drrockso20 posted:

As far as I'm aware none of the Grongi kill more than a couple dozen people(not counting that one that goes nuclear for some reason when it blows up), Spider Dopant kills at least several hundred people during his final rampage, possibly even several thousand depending on how many people got killed by the explosions he caused(and this is just with a basic Gaia Memory, can't imagine how much stronger Spider would be using that belt that Nazca uses, or a T2 version)

Ugh, the Spider Dopant thing has always annoyed me because well, it depends on those spider bomb things not going away when the monster is defeated, like happens in most Toku series, and even W itself. Entirely as a justification for Akiko's dad being right in being an absentee father, because you see, otherwise the spider bombs would blow him and her up. Mind you, it's nowhere near the worst thing in Movie Wars Core, but it's annoying.

In terms of monster mass kills, do have to mention when Roshuo in Gaim redirected nuclear missiles launched at him back at USA. And that there's mention at the end of the series of aid work still going on in America. So in other words, either Gaim's not in continuity (which I'm fine with, but Movie Wars/KR Taisen disagree), or the USA's a recovering smoking radioactive crater in future series. Which was eminently amusing when in a few months in Drive, Gou just shows up from America. Queue joking among friends he came from a Fist of the North Star-esque setting.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

gourdcaptain posted:

Ugh, the Spider Dopant thing has always annoyed me because well, it depends on those spider bomb things not going away when the monster is defeated, like happens in most Toku series, and even W itself. Entirely as a justification for Akiko's dad being right in being an absentee father, because you see, otherwise the spider bombs would blow him and her up. Mind you, it's nowhere near the worst thing in Movie Wars Core, but it's annoying.

In terms of monster mass kills, do have to mention when Roshuo in Gaim redirected nuclear missiles launched at him back at USA. And that there's mention at the end of the series of aid work still going on in America. So in other words, either Gaim's not in continuity (which I'm fine with, but Movie Wars/KR Taisen disagree), or the USA's a recovering smoking radioactive crater in future series. Which was eminently amusing when in a few months in Drive, Gou just shows up from America. Queue joking among friends he came from a Fist of the North Star-esque setting.

I just assumed that most of those redirected nukes, while still hitting American territory, mostly hit uninhabited areas(for example most of Nevada and Alaska are uninhabited by humans), cause remember the United States is freaking huge, so assuming Roshuo didn't have a specific target in mind, statistically he probably didn't cause all that much damage(at least in terms of lives lost, probably quite a bit of environmental damage though)

gourdcaptain
Nov 16, 2012

drrockso20 posted:

I just assumed that most of those redirected nukes, while still hitting American territory, mostly hit uninhabited areas(for example most of Nevada and Alaska are uninhabited by humans), cause remember the United States is freaking huge, so assuming Roshuo didn't have a specific target in mind, statistically he probably didn't cause all that much damage(at least in terms of lives lost, probably quite a bit of environmental damage though)

Eh, fallout, nuclear winter, who knows. It's a rather vague incident.

Although in terms of "vague incidents" and mass murderers in Toku, Shirou Kanzaki in Kamen Rider Ryuki, who depending on how you read the ending of that series either killed or was responsible for around a dozen or so people, around a dozen or so people several times, thousands of people in monster attacks, thousands of people in monster attacks multiple times literally everyone, literally everyone multiple times, or absolutely nobody.

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises
Kamen Riders are only in continuity with one another during a movie.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Pyroi posted:

There's exceptions to this though. Fourze definitely accepts all the previous series happening (as they're shown in Tomoko's tablet), Ghost is completely in continuity with Drive (as Ghost himself appears in Drive's series, and Drive is mentioned in Ghost's own), and the Showa Riders have stronger continuity with each other from what I know. Beyond that yeah, it's better to not think of other Rider series while watching one beyond proper crossovers.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Huh, I thought that Fourze only mentioned the showa riders.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Serious Frolicking posted:

The tablet also shows Kuuga and Agito from my recollection, and all of Fourze's movies are canon to it as well, so at minimum W, OOO, and Wizard are also canon to Fourze

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Pyroi posted:

Not true and not even only in the Showa Era.

Fourze presents the Riders as existing and operating across the world as a fact, to name one that does this without the nonsense of Decade.

Ghost is literally using the powers of Riders in his series isn't he?

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

Burkion posted:

Not true and not even only in the Showa Era.

Fourze presents the Riders as existing and operating across the world as a fact, to name one that does this without the nonsense of Decade.

Ghost is literally using the powers of Riders in his series isn't he?

only in Webmovies, which are of a questionable canocity.

It seems like they tie into the new Kamen Rider 1 movie (Which is in canon with the Series I think) but I'm not sure about that point, and if they aren't then they almost certainly aren't canon.

I think

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

I take it you don't want my autograph, then.

Kamen Rider continuity is like Whose Line: it's made up and the (plot) points don't really matter

Ignis fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Apr 19, 2016

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
They all mostly just handle their own stuff and are perfectly content to leave the others alone except for when their villains initiate a crossover. They are all also very bad at sharing their contact info, so calling in help during the big world-shaking series finale stuff isn't an option.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
The W movie is canon to the series (the episode after the movie released has them talk about the destruction of Fuuto Tower, which happened in the movie) and OOO shows up in that to fight one of the Dopants. In addition OOO shows up in the Movie War with Fourze where he gets Double Rocket, which we know is canon because during his training with Virgo he uses it.

Wizard is a bit of an oddity because while he's definitely in Ultimatum with Fourze, his crossover with Gaim in Fateful Sengoku isn't part of the main Gaim series since a Crack appears during the dance-off, and the existence of Cracks being a secret was a big plot point in the series, plus Takatora sees Micchy transform into Ryugen.

But yeah ultimately it doesn't matter in the series, what's "canon" doesn't really matter and as MST3K puts it, "Just repeat to yourself 'It's just a show, I should really just relax.'"

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Kamen Rider does have a bit more continuity between shows than Sentai (particularly in the Showa era, in fact I believe the only show that didn't have some kind of holdover from the past was Black and maybe Super-1) but in the more modern shows it tends to follow the same "This is only canon when Toei wants it to be" rule more often then not (though still less than Sentai does what with shows like Decade, Fourze, Drive, Ghost and to a lesser extent OOO).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Don't it make your dick bust concrete to be in the same room with two noble, selfless public servants.

Serious Frolicking posted:

Tomoko's tablet also has a picture of a wrecked Fuuto Tower .

Twelve by Pies posted:

The W movie is canon to the series (the episode after the movie released has them talk about the destruction of Fuuto Tower, which happened in the movie) and OOO shows up in that to fight one of the Dopants. In addition OOO shows up in the Movie War with Fourze where he gets Double Rocket, which we know is canon because during his training with Virgo he uses it.

Wizard is a bit of an oddity because while he's definitely in Ultimatum with Fourze, his crossover with Gaim in Fateful Sengoku isn't part of the main Gaim series since a Crack appears during the dance-off, and the existence of Cracks being a secret was a big plot point in the series, plus Takatora sees Micchy transform into Ryugen.

But yeah ultimately it doesn't matter in the series, what's "canon" doesn't really matter and as MST3K puts it, "Just repeat to yourself 'It's just a show, I should really just relax.'"

It seems like they tried to link the series through Foundation X and also doing a pass the torch thing. The finale ending credits for OOOs and Fourze had some visual link to the next series. Hina walks past Kengo holding a switch and Mio sees Haruto's ring.

V-Men fucked around with this message at 12:37 on Apr 19, 2016

• Locked thread