Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Lycus posted:

Saturday Night Live.

Still pretty great

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jesus In A Can
Jul 2, 2007
From Concentrate
I hope they just leave that in. Just let one of the dragons be a cosplayer at a convention.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything
Fire made flesh.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

TK-42-1 posted:

Jacobs is entertaining precisely because he just takes something and runs with it. You can tell he's just having fun with his dumb bullshit.

I don't know that he's really running with anything though. I noticed a lot of his shtick is "Oh, but this tertiary character said something that conflicts with one of their other 5 lines in the books. So what are they really up to? Must be that the Hornwoods are hatching a far-reaching scheme that spans both continents."

The simpler solution to a lot of these puzzles is the GRRM isn't keep good track of the motivations and allegiances of all the minor houses.

meristem
Oct 2, 2010
I HAVE THE ETIQUETTE OF STIFF AND THE PERSONALITY OF A GIANT CUNT.
You know, it's really interesting, in a way, that after this season, both books and show will already be on their way (back, in the books' case) to cultural irrelevance. The show will be gearing towards the end, but that will be the scarce 13 or so hours spread over two years. The books... well, TWOW may be published sometime within the time, but the show will have spoiled RLJ and other stuff by then.

In a way, this is the biggest season of the show.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

To write the amount of side-material GRRM has written I would think he has quite a bit planned out and it's a fun game to guess what will affect ASOIAF and what are just minor world-building points that don't matter and never will matter and is merely window dressing.

The fact that this book series started out as a planned trilogy and has become, whatever it is and will eventually finalize itself as, points to him doing a lot of world building. The first episode of the first season prompted me to read the first three books in a hurry. The first two feel like the beginning and middle of a story, and then A Storm Of Swords happens, and this feels like the point where he actually started doing serious world building and obsessing a lot over 'the poo poo that doesn't matter' because nothing was wrapping up and he was opening up new threads and plots.

I say this sincerely, A Game Of Thrones and A Clash Of Kings are two very tight books. The window-dressing that is Westeros and Essos is there, but it is clearly not developed as it becomes later in the series. By the time GRRM started writing the material that became A Feast For Crows, I think he actually probably did have a room with yarn attached to notes detailing the relationship of characters, many possibly unwritten. I worry that his open correspondence with fans who love to obsess with this poo poo is why he got this way. Like, if a million nerds ask you about what lurks in the crypts of winterfell, and you correspond with them, they're going to affect what you do and what your plans are in the novel, and suddenly this location matters, but none of your characters who currently exist in your narrative can get there even though you have a super loving awesome story just waiting to be told in the midst of your main narrative and before you know it you have the bloat of AFFC and ADWD and I'm sure Winds Of Winter is going to be dense as poo poo.

But the change in style and tone from A Clash Of Kings to A Feast For Crows spells it out to me. A Storm Of Swords is this odd mid-point between the two and I noticed the tone/style shift some chapters before the Red Wedding, and suddenly I was having a lot less fun reading about the minutiae of westerosi dining

Bert Roberge
Nov 28, 2003

Hot Pie is gonna be on the Iron Throne at the end of this series and everyone knows it.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

PostNouveau posted:

I don't know that he's really running with anything though. I noticed a lot of his shtick is "Oh, but this tertiary character said something that conflicts with one of their other 5 lines in the books. So what are they really up to? Must be that the Hornwoods are hatching a far-reaching scheme that spans both continents."

The simpler solution to a lot of these puzzles is the GRRM isn't keep good track of the motivations and allegiances of all the minor houses.

He posts quotes without their defining context and then tries to make them sound weird for his pet theory. He leads you on with a video or two that make sense or seem half-plausible then once you're hooked he turns to spouting nonsense.

His theories don't even sound interesting or have great plot/thematic implications. Dany being Rhaegar and Lyanna's tower baby is the dumbest, most boring theory I have ever read. If you're going to go crazy, go all the way.

Chickenwalker
Apr 21, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Frankenfinger posted:

Re: Varys. Gonna post this again since it's the spoiler thread:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0M_hhVg9XUE

I think this best sums up what Varys's ultimate goal in the books might be. It makes a ton of sense, and it's a shame that almost all of it has been abandoned in the show. It's almost as if D&D decided somewhere in season 2 to get rid of all the Aegon stuff, and are desperately trying to cram Varys into the plot without having it be ham-fisted and odd.

it is

When I clicked the link it was an ad for Donald Trump and I thought that was the joke

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Thoros is coming back this season apparently. Weird we didn't find out until a week before the premiere.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
Thoros is back and no word on Beric? Get hype.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Maybe they're going to join totally not Jon's forces?

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
An explanation for why Brienne and Pod are in a place with Tully banners while the siege is happening?: the Brotherhood smuggles them into Riverrun?

Lloyd Boner
Oct 11, 2009

Yes officer, my name is Victoria Sonnen...berg
Liam Cunningham confirmed that Davos is at Bear Island in the trailer. Also that he's talking to Lyanna Mormont, whose casting has never been mentioned in any of the leaks from what I can remember.

GuyUpNorth
Apr 29, 2014

Witty phrases on random basis
Isn't this first appearance of Lyanna Mormont in the series or books so far? That might be actual GRRM-written material from TWOW.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
That's pretty cool actually, that there's decent sized bits of info we're only finding out about now. I guess their new anti-leaking policies are working!

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Couple bits from TV Guide:

Davos:

“He learns that Shireen Baratheon, the princess who was like his foster daughter, was burned alive. So he’s not concerned with who wears the crown any- more. He’s concerned for citizens of the kingdom.”

Bran:

"Bran will see not just what is happening in the present but also events from the past, and “he can orchestrate resistance to things that are going to happen,” Hempstead-Wright explains. The teen excels under the tutelage of the Three-Eyed Raven (Max von Sydow), but his ego quickly swells. In a Belfast soundstage, the Raven’s lair is a tangled mass of roots where the two are shooting a top-secret scene that includes a revelation sure to break fans’ hearts."

That last bit makes me nervous...

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

TOOT BOOT posted:

Bran:

"Bran will see not just what is happening in the present but also events from the past, and “he can orchestrate resistance to things that are going to happen,” Hempstead-Wright explains. The teen excels under the tutelage of the Three-Eyed Raven (Max von Sydow), but his ego quickly swells. In a Belfast soundstage, the Raven’s lair is a tangled mass of roots where the two are shooting a top-secret scene that includes a revelation sure to break fans’ hearts."

That last bit makes me nervous...

Sounds like it might be the Tower of Joy. (or the reaction to it)

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

computer parts posted:

Sounds like it might be the Tower of Joy. (or the reaction to it)

I wouldn't see that as a heartbreaking revelation, more of a hell yeah moment. Unless against all foreshadowing and logic Jon really is dead.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Bran has been getting set up as a bad guy in the books for awhile. Knowing D&D (and gurm too) he's either gonna take the side of The Others or Hodor rape Meera.

Lloyd Boner
Oct 11, 2009

Yes officer, my name is Victoria Sonnen...berg
Well they must have had a reason for showing us Hodor's dick

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
I'd say the heart-breaking scene is probably not about the Tower of Joy if it's a scene that they filmed on the cave set. Something about Benjen?

Lycus fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Apr 18, 2016

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
The revelation will be that none of the Stark kids will ever meet each other again. Or that Arya will kill all of them

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Lloyd Boner posted:

Hodor's dick is it's own reward.

Beeez
May 28, 2012

TOOT BOOT posted:

Thoros is coming back this season apparently. Weird we didn't find out until a week before the premiere.

This is exciting. Even if Lady Stoneheart's not a thing in the show, I wouldn't have wanted the Brotherhood to remain a loose end.

Beeez fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Apr 18, 2016

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I never understood the whole Bran is becoming a bad guy theory. Maybe he will become amoral, as the concerns of humans are no longer important to a greenseer, but people act like he's straight up going to command the Other's to kill everyone or something like that.

I could certainly see he told that he needs to sacrifice someone he cares about to gain his true power, and chooses Hodor.

Though I really like the idea that Davos is done with kings, becuase he can at best feel betrayed by the man who he served so selflessly.

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006
Some enterprising people had the bright idea to start filling out FOIA requests for the advance screeners Obama got to see. Probably won't work, and if it did it probably wouldn't be processed even by the 10th episode, but you never know...

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
What is even the point of Bran and Bloodraven? What do they even add to the story? If you were to remove all traces of their plot nothing would change.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Lloyd Boner posted:

Chekhov's dick

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

What is even the point of Bran and Bloodraven? What do they even add to the story? If you were to remove all traces of their plot nothing would change.

I guess we will find out this season

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Isn't there a guy in the marvel universe who lives on the moon and just looks at poo poo
what's his point?

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Oh God, I wonder if the heartbreaking revelation is that Hodor is dead. That would suck rear end.

steakmancer
May 18, 2010

by Lowtax
I'm 100% sure its going to be Meera paste

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Easy plot mechanic for flashbacks or God modding.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

In ADWD Bran was able to speak to Theon through a weirwood tree, and that's when he's only just starting to develop his powers. I'd imagine that in time he'll be fully capable of reading and influencing people's thoughts, just as Bloodraven has done to him since book 1. He's even already doing this with Hodor, taking a step up to people with much more willpower is probably not that far away.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Bran reaches back through time and teaches Jon to warg in one of the first two books. A lot of people overlook that scene but it seems really important, that you can influence the past.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

TOOT BOOT posted:

Bran reaches back through time and teaches Jon to warg in one of the first two books. A lot of people overlook that scene but it seems really important, that you can influence the past.

GRRM told D&D his ending is Future Bran making Ned stay in Winterfell.

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.

twistedmentat posted:

I never understood the whole Bran is becoming a bad guy theory. Maybe he will become amoral, as the concerns of humans are no longer important to a greenseer, but people act like he's straight up going to command the Other's to kill everyone or something like that.

I don't think many people (or anyone really) think Bran is going to command the Others to kill the human race but he is certainly on a dark path and I've often joked that his is a supervillain origin's story in order to capture how hosed up everything in the far North is. I believe that Bloodraven (Mr. "the ends justify the means") and the Children are not as altruistic and humanitarian as they seem at first glance and that, while they can broadly be categorized as against the Others, they do not have humanity's best interests at heart and/or are not above paying any price for the "greater good". There's just too much body horror, complex moral questions, overt themes of sacrifice, dark magic, and Celtic influence in Bran's storyline for his destiny to be anything but tragic.

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Bran will be instrumental in stopping the Others and sealing them away, at the cost of his own freedom/life/soul/something, a la his namesake. The story will end with a Bran POV, that's for sure.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything
There's also "Gendel's children."

quote:

"You know nothing, Jon Snow. Gendel did not die. He cut his way free, through the crows, and led his people back north with the wolves howling at their heels. Only Gendel did not know the caves as Gorne had, and took a wrong turn." She swept the torch back and forth, so the shadows jumped and moved. "Deeper he went, and deeper, and when he tried t' turn back the ways that seemed familiar ended in stone rather than sky. Soon his torches began t' fail, one by one, till finally there was naught but dark. Gendel's folk were never seen again, but on a still night you can hear their children's children's children sobbing under the hills, still looking for the way back up. Listen? Do you hear them?"

All Jon could hear was the falling water and the faint crackle of flames. "This way under the Wall was lost as well?"

"Some have searched for it. Them that go too deep find Gendel's children, and Gendel's children are always hungry." Smiling, she set the torch carefully in a notch of rock, and came toward him. "There's naught to eat in the dark but flesh," she whispered, biting at his neck.

Jon nuzzled her hair and filled his nose with the smell of her. "You sound like Old Nan, telling Bran a monster story."

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

In It For The Tank posted:

I don't think many people (or anyone really) think Bran is going to command the Others to kill the human race but he is certainly on a dark path and I've often joked that his is a supervillain origin's story in order to capture how hosed up everything in the far North is. I believe that Bloodraven (Mr. "the ends justify the means") and the Children are not as altruistic and humanitarian as they seem at first glance and that, while they can broadly be categorized as against the Others, they do not have humanity's best interests at heart and/or are not above paying any price for the "greater good". There's just too much body horror, complex moral questions, overt themes of sacrifice, dark magic, and Celtic influence in Bran's storyline for his destiny to be anything but tragic.

Bran will be instrumental in stopping the Others and sealing them away, at the cost of his own freedom/life/soul/something, a la his namesake. The story will end with a Bran POV, that's for sure.

Bloodraven ended up on the wall for basically executing a dude coming to a parley to talk peace and more than once has been established as a dude not to gently caress with. Him becoming a kindly old teacher isn't exactly something I would fully expect. imo, like you said his whole idea of training Bran is to continue his work, which might guarantee the survival of westeros but not individuals he intends to help.

GRRM has also spoken about winds taking the reader further north than we've ever been and the assumption is something to do with the white walkers which I'm guessing we've already seen bits of in the show. Wouldn't surprise me if some of their motivation is shown at some point too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Do people still buy into that elaborate theory about the White Walkers that that dude on Reddit posted back in 2014? This one https://www.reddit.com/r/asoiaf/comments/23p48r/the_true_nature_and_purpose_of_the_others_and_the/

• Locked thread